• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

IBM Sues Amazon.com

malware

Processor Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 G0 VID: 1.2125
Motherboard GIGABYTE GA-P35-DS3P rev.2.0
Cooling Thermalright Ultra-120 eXtreme + Noctua NF-S12 Fan
Memory 4x1 GB PQI DDR2 PC2-6400
Video Card(s) Colorful iGame Radeon HD 4890 1 GB GDDR5
Storage 2x 500 GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 32 MB RAID0
Display(s) BenQ G2400W 24-inch WideScreen LCD
Case Cooler Master COSMOS RC-1000 (sold), Cooler Master HAF-932 (delivered)
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi XtremeMusic + Logitech Z-5500 Digital THX
Power Supply Chieftec CFT-1000G-DF 1kW
Software Laptop: Lenovo 3000 N200 C2DT2310/3GB/120GB/GF7300/15.4"/Razer
IBM announced on Monday that it hit Amazon.com with two lawsuits that seek unspecified damages. For four years, IBM attempted to clear up the matter before it decided to sue. IBM alleges that Amazon.com knowingly exploits its intellectual property by infringing on several patents that cover, among other things: the presentation of applications in an interactive service; the storage of data in an interactive network; the presentation of advertising in an interactive service; and the ordering of items from an electronic catalog. IBM filed the lawsuits separately in two district courts for the Eastern District of Texas, one in the Tyler Division and the other in the Lufkin Division. IBM first notified Amazon.com about the alleged infringement in September 2002, but Amazon.com hasn't wanted to engage in "meaningful discussions," IBM said.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

Processor AMD Athlon 3800+ X2
Motherboard ASUS A8N-SLI SE
Cooling 2 Exhaust fans
Memory 2x512MB DDR400 RAM
Video Card(s) Connect3D ATI Radeon X1900XT 512MB
Storage 80GB Maxtor DiamondMax
Display(s) Packard bell 17" CRT
Case Stock
Power Supply 580W Hiper Type-R
jesus all the companies arent half ripping off each other and there customers! IBM sue amazon, time warner sue youtube, transmeta trying to start on intel, PS3 sue lik-sang, then microsoft with vista (dont start!), then theres been alot of buying out. Its like a wrestling match with unlimited corners and a company to each of them. :shadedshu

overcast

Processor AMD Opteron 165 @ 2.7ghz Stock Voltage
Motherboard ASUS A8N-SLI Premium
Cooling Stock Opteron
Memory OCZ PC4000 EB Platinum 2GB
Video Card(s) ATI X1900XTX
Storage 2 x Western Digital 74gb Raptors
Display(s) NEC 990B 19"
Case Antec P150
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Seasonic S12-500
Software XP 32bit
he presentation of applications in an interactive service; the storage of data in an interactive network; the presentation of advertising in an interactive service; and the ordering of items from an electronic catalog.

What are they joking? How can you sue over things like this, these are processes, not technology. The ordering of items from an electronic catalog? So what is that EVERY single ecommerce site on the planet.

Alec§taar

Someone who's going to find NewTekie1 and teach hi
Processor DualCore AMD Athlon 64x2 4800+ (o/c 2801mhz STABLE (Ketxxx, POGE, Tatty One, ME))
Motherboard ASUS A8N-SLI Premium (PCIe x16, x4, x1)
Cooling PhaseChange Coolermaster CM754/939 (fan/heatsink), Thermalright heatspreaders + fan built on (RAM)
Memory 512mb PC-3200 DDR400 (set DDR-33 for o/c) by Corsair (matched pair, 2x256mb) 200.1/200mhz
Video Card(s) BFG GeForce 7900 GTX OC 512mb GDDR3 ram (o/c manually to 686 core/865 memory) - PhaseChange cooled
Storage Dual "Raptor X" 16mb 10krpm/RAID 0 Promise EX8350 x4 PCIe 128mb & Intel IO chip/CENATEK RocketDrive
Display(s) SONY 19" Trinitron MultiScan 400ps 1600x1200 75hz refresh 32-bit color
Case Antec Super-LanBoy (aluminum baby-tower w/ lower front & upper rear cooling exhaust fans)
Audio Device(s) RealTek AC97 onboard mobo stereo sound (Altec Lansing ACS-45 speakers - 10 yrs. still running!)
Power Supply Antec 500w ATX 2.0 "SmartPower" powersupply
Software Windows Server 2003 SP #1 fully patched, & massively tuned/tweaked to-the-max (plus latest drivers)
What are they joking? How can you sue over things like this, these are processes, not technology. The ordering of items from an electronic catalog? So what is that EVERY single ecommerce site on the planet.

This is where "professional experts" in this field are brought in to testify to one another's opposing sides as to "WHY THEY ARE RIGHT & THEIR OPPONENT WRONG" etc., & magistrates + attorneys actually learn something about this field in the process & make decisions.

:)

* I hope the 'computer dudes' make a PILE on it & charge by the hour, taking their time & being VERY detailed in their explanations of concepts &/or terms etc., of course...

JUST TO MAKE SURE that the legal eagles understand EVERY LITTLE BIT needed so the TRUTH comes out on who was right vs. who was wrong (& not by how much monies they can payoff folks involved with, etc.)...

All so those legal folks can understand this tech better than they do quite possibly, & so that this type of stuff hopefully, will cease... this "legalese" b.s. type of attack...

APK

P.S.=> It's how it is in this field because of legal eagles...

I've had it happen to me:

Microsoft wrote me a letter (actually their legal folks) & making me change the name of some programs I wrote, in the SHAREWARE/FREEWARE WORLD, no less... because I used the word "WINDOWS" in their names!

I was told to change it to "for Windows" instead, w/ a tm for MS in the name (which I did, not a big deal to me, I gave the wares away anyhow)...

Ah, lol, it makes you wonder!

Ms doesn't "OWN" the word WINDOWS, period... still, this is what those legal folks create! apk

Last edited:

wazzledoozle

Processor X2 3800+ @ 2.3 GHz
Motherboard DFI Lanparty SLI-DR
Cooling Zalman CNPS 9500 LED
Memory 2x1 Gb OCZ Plat. @ 3-3-2-8-1t 460 MHz
Video Card(s) HIS IceQ 4670 512Mb
Storage 640Gb & 160Gb western digital sata drives
Display(s) Hanns G 19" widescreen LCD w/ DVI 5ms
Case Thermaltake Soprano
Audio Device(s) Audigy 2 softmod@Audigy 4, Logitech X-530 5:1
Power Supply Coolermaster eXtreme Power Plus 500w
Software XP Pro
I'm going to patent the internet.

I demand $50 from every website, payable now!

b1lk1

System Name Money pit
Processor Q2Q Q8300
Motherboard ASUS P5E3 deluxe WIFI AP@N
Cooling 120.2/Swiftech655/Apogee GT/DD Fillport & res
Memory OCZ PC3-1333MHZ 2X1GB/Kingston HYPERX PC3-1325MHz
Video Card(s) Sapphire HD4830
Storage Seagate 7200.11 1TB
Display(s) Dell 2209WA
Case some crap 5 year old generic modded case
Audio Device(s) X-FI fagtality
Power Supply PC P&C 510W
Software Vista Premium 64
Let's drop a pile of lawyers in a pit and tape all these companies names to their forheads. The one that manages to crawl out alive first wins.

(no offense to lawyers personally, they should just take offense to what I state about what they do)

overcast

Processor AMD Opteron 165 @ 2.7ghz Stock Voltage
Motherboard ASUS A8N-SLI Premium
Cooling Stock Opteron
Memory OCZ PC4000 EB Platinum 2GB
Video Card(s) ATI X1900XTX
Storage 2 x Western Digital 74gb Raptors
Display(s) NEC 990B 19"
Case Antec P150
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Seasonic S12-500
Software XP 32bit
This is where "professional experts" in this field are brought in to testify to one another's opposing sides as to "WHY THEY ARE RIGHT & THEIR OPPONENT WRONG" etc., & magistrates + attorneys actually learn something about this field in the process & make decisions.

:)

* I hope the 'computer dudes' make a PILE on it & charge by the hour, taking their time & being VERY detailed in their explanations of concepts &/or terms etc., of course...

JUST TO MAKE SURE that the legal eagles understand EVERY LITTLE BIT needed so the TRUTH comes out on who was right vs. who was wrong (& not by how much monies they can payoff folks involved with, etc.)...

All so those legal folks can understand this tech better than they do quite possibly, & so that this type of stuff hopefully, will cease... this "legalese" b.s. type of attack...

APK

P.S.=> It's how it is in this field because of legal eagles...

I've had it happen to me:

Microsoft wrote me a letter (actually their legal folks) & making me change the name of some programs I wrote, in the SHAREWARE/FREEWARE WORLD, no less... because I used the word "WINDOWS" in their names!

I was told to change it to "for Windows" instead, w/ a tm for MS in the name (which I did, not a big deal to me, I gave the wares away anyhow)...

Ah, lol, it makes you wonder!

Ms doesn't "OWN" the word WINDOWS, period... still, this is what those legal folks create! apk

Using a registered trademark name of company is not the same as suing someone over process. That's like saying I can sue over how to hammer a nail into a plank of wood. How else do you order items from an electronic catalog, without ordering items from an electronic catalog.

You'd think these companies would learn after the SCO fiasco. Now look at them, they are nothing.

Alec§taar

Someone who's going to find NewTekie1 and teach hi
Processor DualCore AMD Athlon 64x2 4800+ (o/c 2801mhz STABLE (Ketxxx, POGE, Tatty One, ME))
Motherboard ASUS A8N-SLI Premium (PCIe x16, x4, x1)
Cooling PhaseChange Coolermaster CM754/939 (fan/heatsink), Thermalright heatspreaders + fan built on (RAM)
Memory 512mb PC-3200 DDR400 (set DDR-33 for o/c) by Corsair (matched pair, 2x256mb) 200.1/200mhz
Video Card(s) BFG GeForce 7900 GTX OC 512mb GDDR3 ram (o/c manually to 686 core/865 memory) - PhaseChange cooled
Storage Dual "Raptor X" 16mb 10krpm/RAID 0 Promise EX8350 x4 PCIe 128mb & Intel IO chip/CENATEK RocketDrive
Display(s) SONY 19" Trinitron MultiScan 400ps 1600x1200 75hz refresh 32-bit color
Case Antec Super-LanBoy (aluminum baby-tower w/ lower front & upper rear cooling exhaust fans)
Audio Device(s) RealTek AC97 onboard mobo stereo sound (Altec Lansing ACS-45 speakers - 10 yrs. still running!)
Power Supply Antec 500w ATX 2.0 "SmartPower" powersupply
Software Windows Server 2003 SP #1 fully patched, & massively tuned/tweaked to-the-max (plus latest drivers)
Using a registered trademark name of company is not the same as suing someone over process.

Oh, I realize this... but, I don't think anyone can say, "TM" the process of things really. Something may be LIKE something, but not be the same!

(Bad analog, but here tis: Aspirin & LSD - do you know HOW close they are chemically? Pretty close, radically diff. effects though!)

That's like saying I can sue over how to hammer a nail into a plank of wood. How else do you order items from an electronic catalog, without ordering items from an electronic catalog.

I agree - this is the point I was TRYING to make: Legal folks really 'screw things up' imo... over STUPID stuff!

You'd think these companies would learn after the SCO fiasco. Now look at them, they are nothing.

I agree!

Personally, I think I could have fought MS on that one I noted & dealt with, & won it...

See, I'm not exactly a stranger to this type of thing: E.G.-> In 1992, I beat a city/state government in a lawsuit, & everyone said I would lose... well, a trip to the bank later said otherwise, QUITE otherwise, lol!

In this case though? I was like "Why bother?'

I had "APK Windows" in my apps, MS did not like it & said make it "For Windows" instead. I went w/ it, no biggie. It was, after all just freeware anyhow!

Still - amazed me they approached me on it, but I didn't bother fight 'em on it. No gain possible for me.

Again: Does Microsoft OWN the word "WINDOWS"? No... far from it. It's been around FAR longer than Microsoft, period.

I was more "flabbergasted" @ the fact I support & 'champion/espouse' Windows as THE OS out here for years now... & they did that to me.

& it was a hassle redoing the source for it all, including resource files in the apps (the biggest pain to edit).

SysInternals? They went thru it w/ their FUNDELETE tool... they called it UNDELETE afaik first, & ExecSoft iirc, came after they as well: No biggie, they recompiled & re-released that tool of theirs.

This happens!

APK

P.S.=> Put it THIS way: I don't think it's coders doing this stuff, far from it... most of us just want to get paid for our time & knowledge, & build the BEST stuff we can... it's the folks that CAN'T do this, that hire us for our skillsets, that are the 'greedy ones'... but, they have their viewpoints too that you have to respect (like the fact they pay you etc. & the monies have to come from SOMEWHERE)... apk

Last edited: