• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Hey guys Realtemp(and coretemp) wont load for 2-3 minutes after boot

bigjared

Does SpeedFan and the Biostar TPower utility read core temperatures or "CPU" temperatures, or both?

The Tpower only reads one "CPU" temp however SpeedFan reads everything, all cores, NB, cpu ect.

unclewebb

ThrottleStop & RealTemp Author
Speedfan reads core temperatures. I think the Biostar utility only reads the traditional CPU temperature.

bigjared

Yea I don't think it is a hardware issue (due to the failed OC) because SpeedFan works fine and Realtemp and coretemp also work perfectly after I wait that 3 minutes.

unclewebb

Recent versions of SetFSB use the same WinRing0 driver that RealTemp depends on. You could try starting that program.

Core Temp uses a completely different driver so this doesn't make too much sense. I'm not sure why these two programs are being delayed by Windows.

Processor i5 750 4.2ghz 1.4V
Motherboard Gigabyte P55-UD4P
Cooling Corsair H70
Memory 2X2G Gskill @2140 8-11-8-28-1T
Video Card(s) 2xGainward Phantom3 570@860/4200
Storage 2xWD 500G AAKS Raid0 + 2XWD 1T Green in Raid0
Display(s) 24" HP w2408h+23" HP w2338h
Case SilverStone Raven2E-B
Audio Device(s) onboard for now
Power Supply Antec 1000W Truepower quattro
Software Win7 Ultimate 64bit
I used to have the same problem with my Q9450 and 780I, most programs related to read temperatures will not open until like 1 min after the OS is loaded(CPUz HW monitor, even evga precision), during this time, internet will work but the lan icon will displayed as not working(with a yellow triangle sign) I think its something related to BIOS or some feature of the motherboard is conflicting with Vista/7.

And it only happens with some combination of FSB and voltage settings, for example with 1800FSB and core voltage 1.35 it happens, if you up or down core voltage by a couple of notches the problem will be gone.(but sometime late it will come back....just change voltage again). And a fresh install will solve the problem for a while too.

Very weird problem indeed

bigjared

Okay - SetFSB = same problem.

The problem with this being a voltage issue is two fold.

1) This problem is happening with a completely default/stock bios settings.
2) This problem didnt happen prior to yesterday with stock settings or the exact settings I am using on my OC right now.

You are correct about the Internet icon being weird even though the net works just fine.

Cooling Corsair H70
yeah, I'm pretty sure we had the same problem, once it happened even revert to stock sometimes it still happens, I should have said some combination of FSB and voltage will solve the problem, >_>. And try re-install OS, or keep tweaking BIOS.(Like turn features you don't use on/off)

bigjared

Ugh it definitely sounds like the same problem. But what I don't get is how it is a FSB/Voltage issue when I am running identical settings to when I didn't have this problem.

It totally seems like some windows process is taking 2-3 minutes to load and in the meantime the temp programs are unable to.

Id really like to know the root of this problem though because there is no point reinstalling the OS if its just going to happen again.

Last edited:

bigjared

Yea I tried upping all my voltages and decreasing the FSB and am still having the same problem.

What in the world... so frustrating.

I mean it is apparent that this isn't a Realtemp issue but I really appreciate you guys trying to help me out.

Don't know where to go from here.

Cooling Corsair H70
It doesn't have to be upped, try lowering the voltages as well- -..
Yeah the problem happened to me without me changed any settings both in the OS/BIOS, and I was so frustrated and tried everything I could until when I tried a different oc(I lowed core voltage by two notches.) And I was using Vista, once I switched to 7 RC, it stopped-. -(Yeah..I know you are using 7.)

For me, 1.3625 or 1.36125 never caused that issue, and anything higher will bring it back.
and all the settings lower than 1.3 won't cause it, except set everything on auto and stock clocks.

bigjared

Jeeze... I don't know if i can go any lower.

I have my Q9550 stable at 3.8 with just under 1.2vcore which is essentially stock.

Never had this problem on vista at all.

somebody

If you haven't already, check the Event Viewer under administrative tools, in particular Windows Logs / System. Might be a clue as to what is happening.

bigjared

The only error messages under the event viewer are with my cdrom drive. I am not sure what the problem is but it was happening before the Realtemp problem started happening so I doubt its the cause of it.

I posted on a couple other forums trying to get this issue resolved and nobody had heard of it or knew what to do to help.

:(

unclewebb

CD ROM drives that are failing can cause system hangs. I'd try disconnecting that and see how your boot up goes. You've tried everything else so what the hell.

somebody

Since all the programs you mentioned that are taking 2 minutes require the service control manager to load their drivers, that is probably a good place to look, not necessarily for error messages but whats holding the SCM up. To make reading the log easier you can clear the log first, you'll have the option to save the old log data if you wish. Then reboot and start the slow to show program(s) up. Then take a look at the log, you could even save it as a text file for analyzing later.

Don't feel too bad about there not being much help, it's an awkward problem that can be hard to track down.

ispete

I know this is old. But was it ever resolved? I'm having this exact same problem...

bigjared

I know this is old. But was it ever resolved? I'm having this exact same problem...

Hey man I was never able to resolve it so I did a format + fresh install of windows 7 and haven't had the issue come back (knock on wood).

It was very frustrating because I got to the point where I could see the processes that were holding it up but I could never figure out what to do about them.

Good luck.

ispete

Well, I overclocked a bit more, upped voltages, FSB now 400 and the problem is gone. Weird. And it was only real temp, core temp, and Passmark that had that issue. Everything else opened right up.

bigjared

Yea I was never able to get it to work properly before reformatting. I tried everything on stock as well as multiple overclock/voltage combinations with no luck.

The good news is that after I formatted I haven't had it come back and I am at my ideal clock/voltage/temp combo which is 3.83ghz at 1.21v and 60c linx temps on my Q9550.