• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

First Water Build, sorta log!

Ejjman1

Processor Intel core i7 920 (Rev d0)
Motherboard EVGA X58 SLI LE
Cooling Custom Liquid Cooling
Memory OCZ Gold 2 GB x 3
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 295 CO-OP Edition
Storage 2x WD Black, 650 GB and 1 TB
Display(s) 24" Gateway
Case HAF 932
Power Supply 1200W
Software Windows 7 64 -bit
This is what I got so far.

Here is everything laid out. Helps me think clearly.

The next picture is my Apogee XT Waterblock. I had to grind off the top left corner because the huge Mobo Block was blocking it. I think it turned out ok, and I don't think that will defect anything.

This is the motherboard finally complete. I think it looks spiffy, and hopefully my water won't leak from anything.

Is this right? The fans, the way they are faced, will blow through? I think that's right..?

I have run into a few things, though. I am not sure which way to mount the fans on my radiator.

Another thing, is there anyway to test the system without having the motherboard in the case? Like, I dunno. But if I were to have an obvious leak, then I could fix it right away without taking everything out. Like, sending the pump power without actually turning the computer on, and having the components outside of the case.

I think I'm doing fine on everything else. Where can I pick up some local distilled water? Like, wal-mart, home depot, etc..

Thanks!

EDIT: I threw up a picture of my fans, and curious if they are pointing the right way!

Attachments

• 0304001925a.jpg
    0304001925a.jpg
    175 KB · Views: 743
  • 0304001526.jpg
    0304001526.jpg
    188.8 KB · Views: 779
  • 0304001925.jpg
    0304001925.jpg
    198 KB · Views: 812
  • 0304002021.jpg
    0304002021.jpg
    164.9 KB · Views: 792
Last edited:
System Name Stealth 2 Duo Turbine
Processor Intel e6850 @ 3.8ghz
Motherboard Asus Striker Extreme
Cooling CoolerMaster V8 Modded With 2 white LED's & 100CFM fan
Memory OCZ DDR2 1066_ SLI Black-4GB
Video Card(s) 2xMSI 8800GT"s SLI
Storage <<HDD For OS>> 2x150GB_Western Digital Raptor_Raid 0. <<HDD For Storage>> 3 x 1TB
Display(s) ACER B273HU 27" LCD 2048x1152
Case Apex SuperCase_Custom 7 month Build
Audio Device(s) Striker Extreme Add-In Card HD-Audio
Power Supply EnerMax INFINITI 720watt
Software SE7VEN ULTIMATE 64bit
Benchmark Scores 3DMark01=NTTA, 3Dmark06=NTTA 3Dmark_Vantage=NTTA, Core Temp v0.99.5=28C
were you mounting the rad
air should come from the outside - in
build it in the case,, then jump the psu to check for leaks

System Name Acer Aspire V3-771G-53218G75Maii
Processor Core i5 3210M (2,5-3,1Ghz)
Memory 8GB DDR3 SODIMM
Video Card(s) Geforce GT650M
Storage Samsung 830 256GB - 750GB Toshiba drive
Software Windows 7 x64 Home Premium (non-acer-bloatware)
This is what I got so far.

Here is everything laid out. Helps me think clearly.

http://forums.techpowerup.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=33931&stc=1&d=1136113092

The next picture is my Apogee XT Waterblock. I had to grind off the top left corner because the huge Mobo Block was blocking it. I think it turned out ok, and I don't think that will defect anything.

http://forums.techpowerup.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=33930&stc=1&d=1136112944

This is the motherboard finally complete. I think it looks spiffy, and hopefully my water won't leak from anything.

http://forums.techpowerup.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=33932&stc=1&d=1136113092

Is this right? The fans, the way they are faced, will blow through? I think that's right..?

http://forums.techpowerup.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=33933&stc=1&d=1136113788

I have run into a few things, though. I am not sure which way to mount the fans on my radiator.

Another thing, is there anyway to test the system without having the motherboard in the case? Like, I dunno. But if I were to have an obvious leak, then I could fix it right away without taking everything out. Like, sending the pump power without actually turning the computer on, and having the components outside of the case.

I think I'm doing fine on everything else. Where can I pick up some local distilled water? Like, wal-mart, home depot, etc..

Thanks!

EDIT: I threw up a picture of my fans, and curious if they are pointing the right way!

In the last pic, the fans will blow down - through the radiator.
You can check 2 things for that: the curves on the fan blades or the supports from the fan frame to the rotor (which is always on the exhaust side).

Next, where will you be mounting your radiator?
Most common sense for fan placement: Hot air rises. Don't fight that. So for any placement with the radiator placed horizontal, make sure the air blows up.
When placing it vertical, for instance, in the front drive bays, or behind the case, I'd let the fans blow towards the rear.

Distilled water: Home depot/Walmart should work, or your local drugstore. I bought mine at the local DIY shop.

Testing: plug ONLY the pump into the power supply and jumpstart it (connect black to green on the 24-pin). Make sure not to have any cables attached to the motherboard since I killed a motherboard that way once :D
Just fill up your loop and fire the pump up, let it run for a while.

Ejjman1

Memory OCZ Gold 2 GB x 3
Display(s) 24" Gateway
Case HAF 932
Power Supply 1200W
In the last pic, the fans will blow down - through the radiator.
You can check 2 things for that: the curves on the fan blades or the supports from the fan frame to the rotor (which is always on the exhaust side).

Next, where will you be mounting your radiator?
Most common sense for fan placement: Hot air rises. Don't fight that. So for any placement with the radiator placed horizontal, make sure the air blows up.
When placing it vertical, for instance, in the front drive bays, or behind the case, I'd let the fans blow towards the rear.

Distilled water: Home depot/Walmart should work, or your local drugstore. I bought mine at the local DIY shop.

Testing: plug ONLY the pump into the power supply and jumpstart it (connect black to green on the 24-pin). Make sure not to have any cables attached to the motherboard since I killed a motherboard that way once :D
Just fill up your loop and fire the pump up, let it run for a while.

Haha, jump-start a psu. That sounds awesome, I'll try that out. Thanks so much!

I mounting the radiator on the top of my case (HAF 932). I have the fans on the bottom, blowing air through the rad, pushing the heat up, out of the case. Do I want it this way?

EDIT: steelkane says air should come from outside-in, so does that contradict the way I plan to do it?

EDIT2: Jumpstarting the PSU, can that hurt anything...connect green to black, sounds sketch haha.

EDIT3: Finally, I don't need to plug the fans in while testing, do I? Since no heat will be generated from the cpu since it's not on..? I mean, it wouldn't hurt, but it's just sucking more power that isn't needed.'

EDIT4: I swear, last edit! Does this loop sound good? Res>Pump>CPU>Mobo>Rad ? I can't find the best answer for that.

Last edited:
Processor Q9550 @3.8
Motherboard Asus Maximus Extreme
Cooling Custom water cooling
Memory 4GB Patriot Viper DDR3 1600MHz
Video Card(s) 2x HD4870 512MB
Storage 2x 500GB
Display(s) 3x LG L226WTQ 22" Widescreen LCD
Case Modded TJ07
Audio Device(s) On board
Power Supply PC P&C Silencer 750
Software Windows 7 Ultimate
Haha, jump-start a psu. That sounds awesome, I'll try that out. Thanks so much!

I mounting the radiator on the top of my case (HAF 932). I have the fans on the bottom, blowing air through the rad, pushing the heat up, out of the case. Do I want it this way?

EDIT: steelkane says air should come from outside-in, so does that contradict the way I plan to do it?

EDIT2: Jumpstarting the PSU, can that hurt anything...connect green to black, sounds sketch haha.

EDIT3: Finally, I don't need to plug the fans in while testing, do I? Since no heat will be generated from the cpu since it's not on..? I mean, it wouldn't hurt, but it's just sucking more power that isn't needed.'

EDIT4: I swear, last edit! Does this loop sound good? Res>Pump>CPU>Mobo>Rad ? I can't find the best answer for that.

EDIT: You will always get cooler air from outside the case but if you have good air flow inside the case, it may not affect the temps too much taking air from inside .

EDIT2: No you will not hurt anything jump starting the PSU you can even buy a connecting block to jump start the PSU.Something like this, if you dont want to DIY it -

http://www.chilledpc.co.uk/shop/pro...d=309&osCsid=785c6096d105a38effcbdd0887771d95

EDIT3:No you dont need the fans plugged in.

EDIT4:As long as you have the RES before the pump then you should be good to go.Every case and the way things are laid out will have different routes.Some people like the RAD before the blocks and others will have it after, just what ever suits you best will work.

Memory 8GB DDR3 SODIMM
EDIT: You will always get cooler air from outside the case but if you have good air flow inside the case, it may not affect the temps too much taking air from inside .

EDIT2: No you will not hurt anything jump starting the PSU you can even buy a connecting block to jump start the PSU.Something like this, if you dont want to DIY it -

http://www.chilledpc.co.uk/shop/pro...d=309&osCsid=785c6096d105a38effcbdd0887771d95

EDIT3:No you dont need the fans plugged in.

EDIT4:As long as you have the RES before the pump then you should be good to go.Every case and the way things are laid out will have different routes.Some people like the RAD before the blocks and others will have it after, just what ever suits you best will work.

I've had this argument many times now, and never have I seen actual numbers that support a preference for a top-mount blowing down.
The heated air in the case (GFX card, RAM, harddisks?) rises up, so aiding it out of the case by use of fans would make the most sense.

Yes, the final saturation temperature of your loop will be slightly higher. So if you only care about cooling whatever you have on water, go ahead and blow top-down.

Ejjman1

Memory OCZ Gold 2 GB x 3
Display(s) 24" Gateway
Case HAF 932
Power Supply 1200W
I decided to have the air being blown up, which makes sense to me.

The barbs on on the right side, but you can't see them.

I will wire like this:

Res > Pump > CPU > Mobo > Rad > Res

I will post more later, but I gotta head to work now.

Attachments

• 0305001638.jpg
    0305001638.jpg
    187.2 KB · Views: 615
Processor 5800x(2)/5700g/5600x/5600g/2700x/1700x/1700
Motherboard MSI B550 Carbon (2)/ MSI z490 Unify/Asus Strix B550-F/MSI B450 Tomahawk (3)
Cooling EK AIO 360 (2)/EK AIO 240, Arctic Cooling Freezer II 280/EVGA CLC 280/Noctua D15/Cryorig M9(2)
Memory 32 GB Ballistix Elite/32 GB TridentZ/16GB Mushkin Redline Black/16 GB Dominator
Video Card(s) Asus Strix RTX3060/EVGA 970(2)/Asus 750 ti/Old Quadros
Storage Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB/WD Black M.2 NVMe 500GB/Adata 500gb NVMe
Display(s) Acer 1080p 22"/ (3) Samsung 22" 1080p
Case (2) Lian Li Lancool II Mesh/Corsair 4000D /Phanteks Eclipse 500a/Be Quiet Pure Base 500/Bones of HAF
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 850G(2)/EVGA Supernova GT 650w/Phantek Amps 750w/Seasonic Focus 750w
Mouse Generic Black wireless (5)
Keyboard Generic Black wireless (5)
Software Win 10/Ubuntu
Something looks kinda familiar. Looking good so far!!

Storage <<HDD For OS>> 2x150GB_Western Digital Raptor_Raid 0. <<HDD For Storage>> 3 x 1TB
Benchmark Scores 3DMark01=NTTA, 3Dmark06=NTTA 3Dmark_Vantage=NTTA, Core Temp v0.99.5=28C
Maybe think about it this way,, you have a car with an engine, under a hood,, the engine heats up, way hotter then the inside of a pc case,, the car has fresh air coming in from the outside in,, heat still rises but fresh air always comes from the outside in. you want the rad to have the coldest freshest air possible for maximum cooling,, your not blowing this hot air from the rad into the case onto heatsinks,, because the cold water is inside the blocks keeping your overclocked hardware cool.

Ejjman1

Memory OCZ Gold 2 GB x 3
Display(s) 24" Gateway
Case HAF 932
Power Supply 1200W
Maybe think about it this way,, you have a car with an engine, under a hood,, the engine heats up, way hotter then the inside of a pc case,, the car has fresh air coming in from the outside in,, heat still rises but fresh air always comes from the outside in. you want the rad to have the coldest freshest air possible for maximum cooling,, your not blowing this hot air from the rad into the case onto heatsinks,, because the cold water is inside the blocks keeping your overclocked hardware cool.

Just to be clear then, you are suggesting I have the fans on top, blowing down into the case then, correct?

Items not on water cooling, such as my GPU, will then heat up instead. My overall case temperature will rise.

How drastic is the change in degrees? I don't see it being more than 3 degrees switching to that way.

EDIT: Put the motherboard back in, very slowly. It weighs way more, but didn't have too many troubles. Tomorrow is the big day!!

Attachments

• 0305002219.jpg
    0305002219.jpg
    192 KB · Views: 563
Last edited:
Processor Q9550 @3.8
Storage 2x 500GB
Case Modded TJ07
Audio Device(s) On board
Items not on water cooling, such as my GPU, will then heat up instead. My overall case temperature will rise.

How drastic is the change in degrees? I don't see it being more than 3 degrees switching to that way.

I have a P120.3 cooling my i7 and the air leaving the RAD is not even really warm, so as you say it may not affect overall temps too much.

If you are going to worry about every last degree in temp then remove the RAD from the case altogether.

the fans can be turned around at the bottom,, air will be pulled down
also heat will never rise back out through the fans that have a down air flow
heat will find the easiest way out

Nice to see a fellow Montanan on TPU!

It looks like you're off to a great start, I wouldn't change anything. If you are really worried about your motherboard, you could leak test your system like I did:

Seriously, though, If you can do simple things like change a compressor fitting or minor plumbing, there is nothing to worry about with water cooling. One thing, use teflon tape on your fittings. Not many people talk about it, but it works for sure. That's why plumbers use the stuff.

Also, a paper clip works just fine for jumping your PSU. Nothing at all to worry about, just don't put it in your mouth. And don't use any stupid dye in your loop like I have in my pic. I got rid of that junk before I installed my motherboard.

Processor Q9550 @3.8
Storage 2x 500GB
Case Modded TJ07
Audio Device(s) On board
One thing, use teflon tape on your fittings. Not many people talk about it, but it works for sure. That's why plumbers use the stuff.

You dont use any tape on BSPP (G) fittings, you only need tape for BSPT (R) fittings.

Your water cooling fittings will be G1/4" type fittings and probably use a rubber ring to complete sealing.
If you use tape with these fittings, especially on acrylic, you run the risk of cracking it when tightening it.

EDIT:BSPP fittings have straight threads and BSPT have tapered threads.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_standard_pipe_thread

Last edited:
Memory 8GB DDR3 SODIMM

Your car doesn't have the rad on top, plus it travels at quite the speeds. I hope your case doesn't, or you have real good wireless keyboards and mice :D

Ah well, I'd need to have a WC loop again to find out what works best, and I don't.

Ejjman1

Memory OCZ Gold 2 GB x 3
Display(s) 24" Gateway
Case HAF 932
Power Supply 1200W
Thanks for the comments!

Finally got everything wired with the help of my dad. I put water in it, and finally got it bled!! I can't imagine doing that with a T-LINE!!!

Anyway, I am gonna have it run for some hours now. I don't feel anything wet so far, and finally got it bled. I hope it stays this way!

Attachments

• 0306000956.jpg
    0306000956.jpg
    186.5 KB · Views: 567
  • 0306001044.jpg
    0306001044.jpg
    194.8 KB · Views: 510
  • 0306001140.jpg
    0306001140.jpg
    192.1 KB · Views: 563
Memory 8GB DDR3 SODIMM
Put some paper in your case, you'll see the smallest drops if it leaks :)

Ejjman1

Memory OCZ Gold 2 GB x 3
Display(s) 24" Gateway
Case HAF 932
Power Supply 1200W
Put some paper in your case, you'll see the smallest drops if it leaks :)

Ok, will do!

If anyone knows where I can get a G1/2" thread 1/2" OD Barb, that'd be nice. I want the fillport to go to the top of my Res, but the hole is huge.

In fact, it might even be a G3/4" because my 3/4 OD tubing can fit through it...Hm...

EDIT: a side note, I might have no idea what I'm talking about up there. :D

Last edited:

Ejjman1

Memory OCZ Gold 2 GB x 3
Display(s) 24" Gateway
Case HAF 932
Power Supply 1200W
Up and running!

Idling at 27-30C, Load at 40C!

That is an improvement of 10C and 30C, respectively!

Motherboard MSI B550 Carbon (2)/ MSI z490 Unify/Asus Strix B550-F/MSI B450 Tomahawk (3)
Cooling EK AIO 360 (2)/EK AIO 240, Arctic Cooling Freezer II 280/EVGA CLC 280/Noctua D15/Cryorig M9(2)
Memory 32 GB Ballistix Elite/32 GB TridentZ/16GB Mushkin Redline Black/16 GB Dominator
Case (2) Lian Li Lancool II Mesh/Corsair 4000D /Phanteks Eclipse 500a/Be Quiet Pure Base 500/Bones of HAF
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 850G(2)/EVGA Supernova GT 650w/Phantek Amps 750w/Seasonic Focus 750w
Software Win 10/Ubuntu
Great to see you up and running. Taking your time and getting advice along the way really pays off with water cooling the first time. Congratulations on a successful project!

Oh, and I'm guessing you like the rad?:D

Ejjman1

Memory OCZ Gold 2 GB x 3
Display(s) 24" Gateway
Case HAF 932
Power Supply 1200W
Great to see you up and running. Taking your time and getting advice along the way really pays off with water cooling the first time. Congratulations on a successful project!

Oh, and I'm guessing you like the rad?:D

Ya. It was a little beat up, but I think it'll work great!

Now, time to read guides to OC'ing.. :roll:

Software Win 10/Ubuntu

Ejjman1

Memory OCZ Gold 2 GB x 3
Display(s) 24" Gateway
Case HAF 932