• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Cloud Computing Games?

SabreWulf69

System Name GET FUCKED
Processor GET FUCKED
Motherboard GET FUCKED
Cooling GET FUCKED
Memory GET FUCKED
Video Card(s) GET FUCKED
Storage GET FUCKED
Display(s) GET FUCKED
Case GET FUCKED
Audio Device(s) GET FUCKED
Power Supply GET FUCKED
Software GET FUCKED
Benchmark Scores GET FUCKED
I want to give this thing supposedly ending home computer enthusiasts a try, anyone know of any free Cloud Computing games currently running and know how to do it? I've seen the videos, read the conjecture, looked at the pics now to try for myself, think it was the Onlive thing I saw. Surely there's an experiment using a computer for the console internet link...

Mussels

Freshwater Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rainbow Sparkles (Power efficient, <350W gaming load)
Processor Ryzen R7 5800x3D (Undervolted, 4.45GHz all core)
Motherboard Asus x570-F (BIOS Modded)
Cooling Alphacool Apex UV - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora + EK Quantum ARGB 3090 w/ active backplate
Memory 2x32GB DDR4 3600 Corsair Vengeance RGB @3866 C18-22-22-22-42 TRFC704 (1.4V Hynix MJR - SoC 1.15V)
Video Card(s) Galax RTX 3090 SG 24GB: Underclocked to 1700Mhz 0.750v (375W down to 250W))
Storage 2TB WD SN850 NVME + 1TB Sasmsung 970 Pro NVME + 1TB Intel 6000P NVME USB 3.2
Display(s) Phillips 32 32M1N5800A (4k144), LG 32" (4K60) | Gigabyte G32QC (2k165) | Phillips 328m6fjrmb (2K144)
Case Fractal Design R6
Audio Device(s) Logitech G560 | Corsair Void pro RGB |Blue Yeti mic
Power Supply Fractal Ion+ 2 860W (Platinum) (This thing is God-tier. Silent and TINY)
Mouse Logitech G Pro wireless + Steelseries Prisma XL
Keyboard Razer Huntsman TE ( Sexy white keycaps)
VR HMD Oculus Rift S + Quest 2
Software Windows 11 pro x64 (Yes, it's genuinely a good OS) OpenRGB - ditch the branded bloatware!
Benchmark Scores Nyooom.
there are no cloud computing games.

closest is on-live, and thats not out yet.

System Name TaichiTig
Processor i7 6800K
Motherboard ASRock X99 Taichi
Memory 32GB DDR4 3200
Video Card(s) RTX 4070
Storage SSD + Misc. HDDs in DrivePool
Display(s) BenQ PD3200U, Samsung C32HG70
Case Antec Twelve Hundred
Audio Device(s) Behringer UMC404HD, LSR308, Shure SRH840, AKG K612, Etymotic HF5
Power Supply Corsair 750TX
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Deck Legend Ice Tactile
Software Win10
I think he meant cloud computing as typed and no, there really aren't any out yet. I too am trying to consider the concept objectively, despite what it means for enthusiast builders/modders. For anyone who has a solid Net connection and faith that that connection won't ever be interrupted, why not? Those of us with a bit less faith (and those who are just plain stubborn), on the other hand, will take some convincing before accepting such a paradigm shift.

SabreWulf69

System Name GET FUCKED
Processor GET FUCKED
Motherboard GET FUCKED
Cooling GET FUCKED
Memory GET FUCKED
Video Card(s) GET FUCKED
Storage GET FUCKED
Display(s) GET FUCKED
Case GET FUCKED
Audio Device(s) GET FUCKED
Power Supply GET FUCKED
Software GET FUCKED
Benchmark Scores GET FUCKED
Dang, Cloud Computing is an interesting concept. I believe Microsoft are already trying it in China, and Japan is implementing some sort of system already which is causing Microsoft some worry. There are many bugs to be worked out just as with many new technological advances, such as permanent internet lines, a whole new section of law written on cloud computing protecting privacy and finally some sort of a fall back synchronization system for emergency offline use.

System Name Dark Stealth
Processor Ryzen 5 5600x
Motherboard Gigabyte B450M Gaming rev 1.0
Cooling Snowman, arctic p12 x2 fans
Memory 16x2 DDR4 Corsair Dominator Pro
Video Card(s) 3080 10gb
Storage 2TB NVME PCIE 4.0 Crucial P3 Plus, 1TB Crucial MX500 SSD, 4TB WD RED HDD
Display(s) HP Omen 34c (34" monitor 3440x1440 165Hz VA panel)
Case Zalman S2
Mouse Logitech pro superlight, mx mouse s3, Razer Basiliskx with battery
Keyboard Custom mechanical keyboard tm680
Software Windows 11
Benchmark Scores 70-80 fps 3440x1440 on cyberpunk 2077 max settings
With a cloud computing game your whole rig is 100% sure that will crash or run at 1fps
So you need a quadro thing from nvidia and a server with 2 cpus or more possibly with 1000$ xeon cpus in it. Than you can think of this. Normally cloud computing has more to do with the processor and it needs to calculate the propability

System Name TaichiTig
Processor i7 6800K
Memory 32GB DDR4 3200
Video Card(s) RTX 4070
Audio Device(s) Behringer UMC404HD, LSR308, Shure SRH840, AKG K612, Etymotic HF5
Mouse Logitech G502
Software Win10
With a cloud computing game your whole rig is 100% sure that will crash or run at 1fps
So you need a quadro thing from nvidia and a server with 2 cpus or more possibly with 1000$ xeon cpus in it. Than you can think of this. Normally cloud computing has more to do with the processor and it needs to calculate the propability

If this were the inevitable, only way cloud computing could be implemented ... it wouldn't be, and there wouldn't be as much interest and R&D into it as there is. The whole point of cloud computing is to broadly and intelligently share and distribute computing resources. It's a wise though imperfect concept in theory, that needs some work in reality.

System Name TaichiTig
Processor i7 6800K
Memory 32GB DDR4 3200
Video Card(s) RTX 4070
Mouse Logitech G502
Software Win10
Let's go back to time-sharing!
Cloud computing, my rear end.

I think that's how many of us will instinctively react to this. Kind of a knee-jerk response like saying no to MW2 without dedicated servers. But the games still sell, and slowly these paradigm shifts slip into the mainstream....

System Name Dark Stealth
Processor Ryzen 5 5600x
Video Card(s) 3080 10gb
Storage 2TB NVME PCIE 4.0 Crucial P3 Plus, 1TB Crucial MX500 SSD, 4TB WD RED HDD
Case Zalman S2
Software Windows 11
I got an information an hour ago by my friend that if you first want cloud computing, than you should want a game which "at least" uses the total capacity of a quad core processor.
I searched through the internet that the usage of a quad core in SUPER MARIO would be like creating a new law in computer science and that one who can do that means to be like a new einstein or even better, cuz it is simply impossible for the technology we have now. What is even worse here is that i found it in fudzilla!!! So a quad core or hexa core are simply comodities cpu companies develop for multithreaded applications.
Or translated in simple words:
Can you create a program which fools the computer that the game you are playing is a program not a game? If you are succesful, your video card is useless and the cpu will take care of the INSANE amount of 3D or the known floating point propabilities.
It is really scientific and i really cannot explain it with simplier words.
The video card manufacturers call the quadro, or fireX cards GPU's and not video cards.
So they are just other cores which take care only of the FP (floating points)
The geology, for example, is not studied with the 5970, but with these GPU's.
I am really intrigued about your question sabre, as it is really the subject i am studying at university:
Geo-informatics enginnering :)

System Name Loose nuts & bolts
Processor FX-8350 - EK Supreme HF full nickel
Motherboard ASUS Sabertooth 990FX R2.0
Cooling Water EK goodness all around 2xBlack Ice X-280
Memory 2 x8G HyperX Fury 1600 @ 9-9-9-24-1T
Video Card(s) 2 x XFX RX 480 w/EK-FC RX 480 nickel+Acetal
Storage Samsung 850 Evo + 2xWD Black 500GB in RAID0
Display(s) Crossover 27" 2560x1440 110Hz OC
Case Cooler Master HAF XB EVO
Audio Device(s) on board
Power Supply Corsair HX850
Software Win 10 Enterprise x64
I got an information an hour ago by my friend that if you first want cloud computing, than you should want a game which "at least" uses the total capacity of a quad core processor.
I searched through the internet that the usage of a quad core in SUPER MARIO would be like creating a new law in computer science and that one who can do that means to be like a new einstein or even better, cuz it is simply impossible for the technology we have now. What is even worse here is that i found it in fudzilla!!! So a quad core or hexa core are simply comodities cpu companies develop for multithreaded applications.
Can you create a program which fools the computer that the game you are playing is a program not a game? If you are succesful, your video card is useless and the cpu will take care of the INSANE amount of 3D or the known floating point propabilities.
The video card manufacturers call the quadro, or fireX cards GPU's and not video cards.
I am really intrigued about your question sabre, as it is really the subject i am studying at university:

Funny, after reading this, the first thing that came into my head was "Fermi"... Possible?

Maybe Nvidia was looking ahead, wayyyyyy ahead. Idk

System Name Dark Stealth
Processor Ryzen 5 5600x
Video Card(s) 3080 10gb
Case Zalman S2
Software Windows 11
Maybe you are right, but after writting all that, fermi is just trying to run away from all of this. The real-world computing is out of discuscion and whatever that fermi is cappable of, normally the game programmers are not that fool to buy a bomb and exploding it in real world, or even worse they cannot control the movements of clouds. What am i trying to say here is that we all must be happy to see that whatever happens to the real world, with programmers, they can happen in a matter of seconds and not waiting for a.... let's say dragon (dragon age) apparence, which will NEVER HAPPEN in the real world.
The exact type of computer we are talking here is the human brain which is the most complex "computing" GPU we all know of. Would you cut your brain and put it in the PCI-E 2.0 than start playing the real world? Really stupid, but that will never happen too

I think that's how many of us will instinctively react to this. Kind of a knee-jerk response like saying no to MW2 without dedicated servers. But the games still sell, and slowly these paradigm shifts slip into the mainstream....

"Cloud" computing is just a fancy way of saying centralized server farm(modern mainframe) computing. There's nothing "cloudy" about that.

Companies like Google love this because it mean people will have to be constantly connected to them to do anything, it also gives them control over what you do with "your" data.

And finally, we didn't spent the last few decades making PCs affordable just so we can go back to the age of dumb fraking terminals.

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF x670e
Cooling EK AIO 360. Phantek T30 fans.
Memory 32GB G.Skill 6000Mhz
Video Card(s) Asus RTX 4090
Storage WD m.2
Display(s) LG C2 Evo OLED 42"
Case Lian Li PC 011 Dynamic Evo
Audio Device(s) Topping E70 DAC, SMSL SP200 Headphone Amp.
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti PRO 1000W
Mouse Razer Basilisk V3 Pro
Keyboard Tester84
Software Windows 11
"Cloud" computing is just a fancy way of saying centralized server farm(modern mainframe) computing. There's nothing "cloudy" about that.

Companies like Google love this because it mean people will have to be constantly connected to them to do anything, it also gives them control over what you do with "your" data.

And finally, we didn't spent the last few decades making PCs affordable just so we can go back to the age of dumb fraking terminals.

Couldn't agree more. :toast:

Cloud computer = less choice, less control, less freedom, etc. It will happen unfortunately, but probablly not before the next generation of game consoles.

Processor Intel i5-6600
Motherboard ASRock H170M-ITX
Cooling Cooler Master Geminii S524
Memory G.Skill DDR4-2133 16GB (8GB x 2)
Video Card(s) Gigabyte R9-380X 4GB
Storage Samsung 950 EVO 250GB (mSATA)
Display(s) LG 29UM69G-B 2560x1080 IPS
Case Lian Li PC-Q25
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC892
Power Supply Seasonic SS-460FL2
Mouse Logitech G700s
Keyboard Logitech G110
Software Windows 10 Pro
TIGR, you've used "paradigm" twice in this thread, sorry but I'll be sending Dogbert over to break your knees with his scepter.

As for gaming clouds, meh. I'll take a look when they're closer to their goal. Local similar (using this term loosely) implementations will be here much sooner I believe. The major VM vendors are all at different stages of support. Microsoft is trying GPU assistance, Citrix/Xen with HDX already supports OpenGL and D3D applications, VMware just released a software implemented PCoIP, and so on. Eventually they will all offer full 3D capabilities with all VMs on a server with shared GPUs, and at good frame rates.

I am one of those stubborn ones. Like my hardware local and overkill in a reasonable way :D

DrPepper

The Doctor is in the house
System Name Rusky
Processor Intel Core i7 D0 3.8Ghz
Motherboard Asus P6T
Cooling Thermaltake Dark Knight
Memory 12GB Patriot Viper's 1866mhz 9-9-9-24
Video Card(s) GTX470 1280MB
Storage OCZ Summit 60GB + Samsung 1TB + Samsung 2TB
Display(s) Sharp Aquos L32X20E 1920 x 1080
Case Silverstone Raven RV01
Power Supply Corsair 650 Watt
Software Windows 7 x64
Benchmark Scores 3DMark06 - 18064 http://img.techpowerup.org/090720/Capture002.jpg
Not a big fan of cloud computing myself. Having something rendered externally then compressed and sent to your pc or decoder of sorts, being decoded then displayed is a long time compared to done locally. I hope it doesn't catch on because it is will mean we "need" internet companies to play games even singleplayer.

Also when I buy a program I don't want to have to log into some companies server to access it nor do I want my information to be stored with them.

System Name Dark Stealth
Processor Ryzen 5 5600x
Video Card(s) 3080 10gb
Case Zalman S2
Software Windows 11
Ok guys... we will wait and see what will happen than :)

Suijin

Processor Q6600
Motherboard ABit P35 Pro
Memory 4GB Crucial Ballistix
Video Card(s) 8600 GT
Display(s) HP 2207
Case Antec 900
Power Supply Enermax 750W
Software Vista 64 bit Ultimate

I'm under the impression you misunderstand what "cloud" computing is. Look at what Erocker said, it's back to the days of servers and cheap "dummy" terminals on the user end. The end user doesn't need any real computer at all (which is suppose to be the appeal for users, $200ish computers running the latest games), basically just a screen and enough CPU/GPU power to handle control inputs, network traffic, maybe saved games, and the big one video decode or something to show you what the server is sending you for a picture. Very light stuff CPU/GPU-wise, netbooks with ion processors should be able to handle that.

The heavy lifting comes on the server end where they use huge server farms of CPU/GPU to calculate everything happening in the game and encoding the video to send the client. The point is that everyone doesn't need 6 core machines with the latest hardware to run the latest games, but from the companies point: No pirates, probably subscription based, and more control. I don't personnally think it will be that great for users. I think there will be too much lag added in due to the delay of the image getting to you before you can react to it.

I think it is more pro-company based than end-user, but in reality it could also be much more efficient overall in terms of components, energy, etc. than having all the computing power spread out among all the users. That doesn't change the pro-company aspect though, we end-users will never see the accounting books to see if they are overcharging us for this "service".

System Name TaichiTig
Processor i7 6800K
Memory 32GB DDR4 3200
Video Card(s) RTX 4070
Mouse Logitech G502
Software Win10
TIGR, you've used "paradigm" twice in this thread, sorry but I'll be sending Dogbert over to break your knees with his scepter.

:laugh: Right you are. It's been a long time since I saw Dilbert.

Frick

Fishfaced Nincompoop
System Name Black MC in Tokyo
Processor Ryzen 5 5600
Motherboard Asrock B450M-HDV
Cooling Be Quiet! Pure Rock 2
Memory 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury 3400mhz
Video Card(s) XFX 6950XT Speedster MERC 319
Storage Kingston A400 240GB | WD Black SN750 2TB |WD Blue 1TB x 2 | Toshiba P300 2TB | Seagate Expansion 8TB
Display(s) Samsung U32J590U 4K + BenQ GL2450HT 1080p
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Audio Device(s) Line6 UX1 + some headphones, Nektar SE61 keyboard
Power Supply Corsair RM850x v3
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Cherry MX Board 1.0 TKL Brown
VR HMD Acer Mixed Reality Headset
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Rimworld 4K ready!
Not a big fan of cloud computing myself. Having something rendered externally then compressed and sent to your pc or decoder of sorts, being decoded then displayed is a long time compared to done locally. I hope it doesn't catch on because it is will mean we "need" internet companies to play games even singleplayer.

Also when I buy a program I don't want to have to log into some companies server to access it nor do I want my information to be stored with them.

+1. I want my computer to just that, MINE.

System Name Dark Stealth
Processor Ryzen 5 5600x
Video Card(s) 3080 10gb
Case Zalman S2
Software Windows 11
I'm under the impression you misunderstand what "cloud" computing is.QUOTE]

Yeah you are right! But why a person wants a cloud computing game? Anyway i just found it really interesting to start talking about computing clouds. I am sorry for this but the translation in albanian is the reverse :p
Anyone knows when these type of games i am talking about will be put in the computer?

Suijin

Processor Q6600
Motherboard ABit P35 Pro
Memory 4GB Crucial Ballistix
Video Card(s) 8600 GT
Display(s) HP 2207
Case Antec 900
Power Supply Enermax 750W
Software Vista 64 bit Ultimate
I'm under the impression you misunderstand what "cloud" computing is.QUOTE]

Yeah you are right! But why a person wants a cloud computing game? Anyway i just found it really interesting to start talking about computing clouds. I am sorry for this but the translation in albanian is the reverse :p
Anyone knows when these type of games i am talking about will be put in the computer?

I expect that type to be even further out due to the complexity of distributing the workload among many distributed computers, along with possible security issues of having important data on an uncontrolled computer.

Closest thing to that would be the folding at home currrently. But that's still just many bits being individually looked at by many individual computers. That's completely differnet than having an actual program across many computers. You are talking Skynet type thing like from the TV series The Sarah Connor Chronicles (or whatever it was called).

Back to the cloud computing I can see working for many mainstream people or maybe some mobile programs, but anyone technical is really going to want their own processing power.

DrPepper

The Doctor is in the house
System Name Rusky
Processor Intel Core i7 D0 3.8Ghz
Motherboard Asus P6T
Cooling Thermaltake Dark Knight
Memory 12GB Patriot Viper's 1866mhz 9-9-9-24
Video Card(s) GTX470 1280MB
Storage OCZ Summit 60GB + Samsung 1TB + Samsung 2TB
Display(s) Sharp Aquos L32X20E 1920 x 1080
Case Silverstone Raven RV01
Power Supply Corsair 650 Watt
Software Windows 7 x64
Benchmark Scores 3DMark06 - 18064 http://img.techpowerup.org/090720/Capture002.jpg
+1. I want my computer to just that, MINE.

This cloud computing hype is rediculous. Imagine all your music, films stored remotely ? How ludicrous is that. You wouldn't have your clothes stored by some business and you need to go to them to access what you already own.

System Name TaichiTig
Processor i7 6800K
Memory 32GB DDR4 3200
Video Card(s) RTX 4070
Mouse Logitech G502
Software Win10
This cloud computing hype is rediculous. Imagine all your music, films stored remotely ? How ludicrous is that. You wouldn't have your clothes stored by some business and you need to go to them to access what you already own.

This "storing stuff on your own computer" hype is ridiculous. Imagine millions of people storing millions of copies of the same thing on millions of computers. How ludicrous is that? You don't have your own textiles factory at home that you have to start up every time you want a new shirt.

;)