• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

New to Linux thinking about Ubuntu

System Name THE CUBE 2.0
Processor Intel i5 13600k
Motherboard MSI MPG Z690 EDGE DDR4
Cooling Phanteks PH-TC14PE BK 2x T30-120 Fan mod mount
Memory G.Skill TridentZ 3200 MT/s C15 32GB 2x16GB
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Aorus 1080 Ti 11GB OC: Core 2GHz, Mem 5.7GHz
Storage WD SN770 250GB / 3x WD SN850X 2TB / Toshiba X300 4TB / 2x RAID1 Toshiba P300 3TB
Display(s) Samsung 49" Odyssey OLED G95SC 240Hz 5120 x 1440
Case "THE CUBE" Custom built, pure Red Alder wood
Audio Device(s) Beyerdynamic DT 880
Power Supply Corsair RM1000X
Mouse Logitech G700
Keyboard Logitech G910
Software Windows 11 Pro
Ok, so heres the thing i have been reading about linux and want to start using it im pretty sure i want to get Ubuntu was wandering a couple of things here they are

- Can i put it on a flash drive so i can just move to computer to computer?
- What version should i get? thinking of 9.04 (Jaunty Jackalope) release. i dont know if its newest
- is winamp compatible or any of my hardware? and is a Logitech Mx revolution compatible?
- can i play games on it if not its ok thats what i have Vista for.
- will have to re format my hard drive? if so how will have to reinstall everything on my computer

Sorry thats alot but i want to know what my options are and how it will work

System Name Night Rider | Mini LAN PC | Workhorse
Processor AMD R7 5800X3D | Ryzen 1600X | i7 970
Motherboard MSi AM4 Pro Carbon | GA- | Gigabyte EX58-UD5
Cooling Noctua U9S Twin Fan| Stock Cooler, Copper Core)| Big shairkan B
Memory 2x8GB DDR4 G.Skill Ripjaws 3600MHz| 2x8GB Corsair 3000 | 6x2GB DDR3 1300 Corsair
Video Card(s) MSI AMD 6750XT | 6500XT | MSI RX 580 8GB
Storage 1TB WD Black NVME / 250GB SSD /2TB WD Black | 500GB SSD WD, 2x1TB, 1x750 | WD 500 SSD/Seagate 320
Display(s) LG 27" 1440P| Samsung 20" S20C300L/DELL 15" | 22" DELL/19"DELL
Case LIAN LI PC-18 | Mini ATX Case (custom) | Atrix C4 9001
Audio Device(s) Onboard | Onbaord | Onboard
Power Supply Silverstone 850 | Silverstone Mini 450W | Corsair CX-750
Mouse Coolermaster Pro | Rapoo V900 | Gigabyte 6850X
Keyboard MAX Keyboard Nighthawk X8 | Creative Fatal1ty eluminx | Some POS Logitech
Software Windows 10 Pro 64 | Windows 10 Pro 64 | Windows 7 Pro 64/Windows 10 Home
Ok, so heres the thing i have been reading about linux and want to start using it im pretty sure i want to get Ubuntu was wandering a couple of things here they are

- What version should i get? thinking of 9.04 (Jaunty Jackalope) release. i dont know if its newest
- is winamp compatible or any of my hardware? and is a Logitech Mx revolution compatible?
- will have to re format my hard drive? if so how will have to reinstall everything on my computer

If my brother was here he could give you the answers for all of those questions lol, he uses Ubuntu with compiz over the top of it. But he has now changed to Debian, and says its better, so maybe you should look into thats instead? as he used Ubuntu for almost 2yrs now.

Flash drive thing i have no idea about sorry, Version im sure there is newer versions, 10.6 or something, your system might be compatible with it, only way to realy find out is to install it and see what happens, ATI isnt as good as Nvidia is for Ubuntu i know that much (easyer to install drivers) You can play a few games not alot, anything thats OpenGL will run on Ubuntu with out issues, like Unreal tournament 1,2,3 etc otherwise you will have to run wine, my brother used wine for World Of Warcraft it worked well for it, but otherwise linux and games not good idea. You can petition ya HDD to install it and still use windows as well, but it slows things down in windows.

Sorry thats all i can give you at the moment, when my brother comes home ill see about getting more answers for you.

Hope ive helped a little?

T

thraxed

You can install it from a usb drive, or run a live version.. As for the hard drive, ya just need to repartition it. If ya do it right, there is no need to reinstall Ubuntu boots live though so you can test it out with your hardware first.

Wile E

Power User
System Name The ClusterF**k
Processor 980X @ 4Ghz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5 BIOS F12
Cooling MCR-320, DDC-1 pump w/Bitspower res top (1/2" fittings), Koolance CPU-360
Memory 3x2GB Mushkin Redlines 1600Mhz 6-8-6-24 1T
Video Card(s) Evga GTX 580
Storage Corsair Neutron GTX 240GB, 2xSeagate 320GB RAID0; 2xSeagate 3TB; 2xSamsung 2TB; Samsung 1.5TB
Display(s) HP LP2475w 24" 1920x1200 IPS
Case Technofront Bench Station
Audio Device(s) Auzentech X-Fi Forte into Onkyo SR606 and Polk TSi200's + RM6750
Power Supply ENERMAX Galaxy EVO EGX1250EWT 1250W
Software Win7 Ultimate N x64, OSX 10.8.4
I say grab Fedora instead. Much more standardized, and just as easy to use.

System Name Felix777
Processor Core i5-3570k@stock
Motherboard Biostar H61
Memory 8gb
Video Card(s) XFX RX 470
Storage WD 500GB BLK
Display(s) Acer p236h bd
Case Haf 912
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply Rosewill CAPSTONE 450watt
Software Win 10 x64
do you kno the syntax? i used ubuntu for alil bit and had a hell of a time getting everything installed as it's not windows where u double click and whatnot. To install some things you have to use ubuntu's "cmd prompt" and type in commands, which i never learned and had to google everytime almost. With time i'd have learned it but eh windows does everything i could ever want. As for all your games? probly not, but alot do run though with less efficiency than in windows. Is your current windows installation your whole drive? i believe there are programs that can resize the partition to make room for an ubuntu install but i don't know them. Otherwise yes, and yep formatting deletes ALL data on the disk, so you'll need to back up what you want to keep such as important documents, and music/games/videos unless you want to re-install or download it all.

T

twilyth

Rather than make a commitment to any distro, why not dl Virtualbox and run it in a virtual machine? It's free so there's no risk and you won't have to worry about rebooting all the time.

- Yes you can put a flash drive in and it'll work fine.
- 9.04 is the newest version and is what you should get.
- I've had very few hardware issues. Nearly all hardware except for some obsecure wireless chipsets are detected and work automatically. Winamp isn't compatible natively, but there are many Linux apps that do the exact same thing? Have you tried Songbird? It works in Linux and Windows. I can't say for sure on your MX Revolution, but I can say that Ubuntu has worked with every mouse/keyboard I've used. This includes a wireless EX 100 keyboard/mouse combo. I'm pretty sure it'll work.
- Games? :laugh: Use Windows for games. You might hear about some people running games in Linux, but it's really not worth the effort.
- You don't necesseraily have to reformat anything. Normally, you have to resize a partition and create a new one for you Linux distrubution. (No data is lost) But Ubuntu has this really cool feature called, Wubi. Basically put, Wubi allows you to install Ubuntu from Windows. But you don't run it from Windows, you run it like a regular OS. So when you start your computer, you boot straight into Ubuntu. But if you ever want to uninstall Ubuntu, it'll be in the Add/Remove programs list. This way, you get the full experience of Ubuntu without changing any partitions or anything like that. Pretty simple. And it's not slower this way either. Read up on it here. I'd recommend this method if changing/resizing partitions makes you nervous.

I've used Ubuntu as my primary OS on my laptop for nearly a year now. I like it. I think it's pretty simple to pick up and use. And help isn't hard to get. If you ever have an issue, just google it. 97% of the time, someone else has had the same issue. As for which distro to try, it doesn't really matter imo. As for one being easier than another... meh. Just pick one and try it out. You're not making a lifelong commitment, if you find it too hard to use, just switch. I find Ubuntu to be pretty Ubuntu very user friendly and I'd recommend it to new Linux users. Don't think that you're getting yourself into something really complex that you won't understand. Linux is as complex as you want to make it. Live CDs makes the process of picking a distro really easy. You can run the distro strainght from the CD without installing anything. Then you can see exactly how the OS looks and get some basics on how to use it. No permenant installation, so if you don't like it, just pop the CD out and move on.

In a nutshell, Linux isn't as hard to get into as you'd think. Just grab a distro and run with it.

System Name THE CUBE 2.0
Storage WD SN770 250GB / 3x WD SN850X 2TB / Toshiba X300 4TB / 2x RAID1 Toshiba P300 3TB
Mouse Logitech G700
Keyboard Logitech G910
Software Windows 11 Pro
i will try out Ubuntu being that i have started the download and im half way done i will try the Wubi but my computer has no partition its all just one big drive but i just got one doing a full system back up so maybe i will make it 3 partition one for Windows Vista, one for Ubuntu, and one for all my games and ect. would that work??

i will try out Ubuntu being that i have started the download and im half way done i will try the Wubi but my computer has no partition its all just one big drive but i just got one doing a full system back up so maybe i will make it 3 partition one for Windows Vista, one for Ubuntu, and one for all my games and ect. would that work??
Yeah your partition plan would work.

But with Wubi, you don't need to change any partitions. Wubi creates a 'virtual partition' (so to speak) inside Windows. Basically put, Wubi installs Ubuntu as a program in Windows, but when you boot, you go straight to Ubuntu. (There's a choice at startup) I would use Wubi to install inside Windows because it's much easier to remove if you don't decide to keep it. If you do end up keeping it, then you can mess partitions. But for now, I'd just keep it simple.

System Name THE CUBE 2.0
Mouse Logitech G700
Keyboard Logitech G910
Software Windows 11 Pro
was also wandering could i use Wubi on a mac laptop b/c are school is giving us all macbooks but they are way slow and want to use ubuntu

PCpraiser100

System Name REBEL R1
Processor Core i7 920
Motherboard ASUS P6T
Cooling Stock
Memory 6GB OCZ GOLD TC LV Kit 1866MHz@1.65V 9-9-9-24
Video Card(s) Two Sapphire HD 5770 Vapor-X Xfire'd and OC'd (920/1330)
Storage Seagate 7200.11 500GB 32MB
Case Antec Three Hundred
Audio Device(s) ASUS Xonar D1 PCI Sound Card
Power Supply OCZ StealthXStream 500W
Software Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
Benchmark Scores 16585 Performance Score on 3DMark Vantage
I sadly had never used Linux in years, however there is a program compatibility enviornment in development for many years called Wine, a program to keep users from whining over all the major program compatibility BS from Windows-written programs.

was also wandering could i use Wubi on a mac laptop b/c are school is giving us all macbooks but they are way slow and want to use ubuntu
A school gives out macbooks? :shadedshu

Sell it, get a thinkpad, run Linux. You get a better OS, cash in your pocket, and still have a high quality laptop.

Sorry, I'm not really a mac person. I doubt Wubi would work on a Mac. But tbh, I'd ditch MacOSX in a heartbeat for Linux. If I ever got/recieved a macbook, I'd install Windows so I can do stuff on it, and then I'd install some Linux distro for kicks. I wouldn't give up Windows because of it's compatibility. It's nice to have something to fall back on when Linux isn't compatible with something.

System Name THE CUBE 2.0
Mouse Logitech G700
Keyboard Logitech G910
Software Windows 11 Pro
oh my mistake i meant they give them to us to use for 4 years in high school then we can ether buy them for what they are worth at that time or give them back when get done with school, but we have to keep the Mac os on them but then again i can just use Ubuntu live on a flash drive that will work

and thanks for your help :)

Studabaker

System Name Built Entirely With Parts From CompUSA
Processor E7400 2.8 @ 3.6 [9.0*400/1.31v]
Motherboard Gigabyte EP45-UD3R
Cooling Masscool 8WA741
Memory 2x1GB Corsair XMS2 800 4-4-4-12
Video Card(s) BFG 9800GTX+OC; GTS250 BIOS
Storage 2x WD 250GB AAKS in RAID0!
Display(s) 19" I-Inc LCD @ 1440x900
Case Ultra X-Blaster Clear Side
Audio Device(s) Audigy with X-Fi drivers; Logitech X-540s
Power Supply Corsair TX750
Software Vista 32-Bit
- Games? :laugh: Use Windows for games. You might hear about some people running games in Linux, but it's really not worth the effort.

I disagree with the last four words there. There is no 'effort' needed if you get CrossOver.

How well does CrossOver run the games? Is CrossOver compatible with all games? IMO, gaming with any kind of comparability layer isn't ideal. I should clarify what I said earlier. I meant that it may be possible, but the end result isn't as spectacular as expected. I don't think that gaming in Linux is something to really count on. Mostly because the only way to game is to use some kind of compatibility layer. And there's a performance hit there. FWIW, I'd just stick with Windows for gaming.

Just my opinion. I didn't mean to say it was difficult, just not worth it imo.

Wile E

Power User
Processor 980X @ 4Ghz
Cooling MCR-320, DDC-1 pump w/Bitspower res top (1/2" fittings), Koolance CPU-360
Storage Corsair Neutron GTX 240GB, 2xSeagate 320GB RAID0; 2xSeagate 3TB; 2xSamsung 2TB; Samsung 1.5TB
Audio Device(s) Auzentech X-Fi Forte into Onkyo SR606 and Polk TSi200's + RM6750
A school gives out macbooks? :shadedshu

Sell it, get a thinkpad, run Linux. You get a better OS, cash in your pocket, and still have a high quality laptop.

Sorry, I'm not really a mac person. I doubt Wubi would work on a Mac. But tbh, I'd ditch MacOSX in a heartbeat for Linux. If I ever got/recieved a macbook, I'd install Windows so I can do stuff on it, and then I'd install some Linux distro for kicks. I wouldn't give up Windows because of it's compatibility. It's nice to have something to fall back on when Linux isn't compatible with something.

Why in the hell would you ditch OS X, which is a *nix operating system to begin with? It's infinitely easier to use than ANY Linux distro, and has plenty of software available for it, is stable, and is relatively quick, as long as the machine has at least 1GB of ram. Use Boot Camp and load Windows along side of it, and the computer will do anything you need it to do. Loading Linux on the Mac really serves no purpose, as OS X can pretty much do what Linux does anyway.

Why in the hell would you ditch OS X, which is a *nix operating system to begin with? It's infinitely easier to use than ANY Linux distro, and has plenty of software available for it, is stable, and is relatively quick, as long as the machine has at least 1GB of ram. Use Boot Camp and load Windows along side of it, and the computer will do anything you need it to do. Loading Linux on the Mac really serves no purpose, as OS X can pretty much do what Linux does anyway.
Well, that's kinda why. OSX feels too simplified imo. Works ok for some, but I feel like it's been dumbed down too much. Plus, no right click drives me crazy! :p OSX probably has better compatibility than Linux, but it still seems to be lacking compared to Windows. So, from my perspective, OSX and Linux will have about the same compatibility.

That said, I haven't used OSX for an extended period of time, but I think I've used it enough to get the gist of it. To me OSX says "I just work, don't ask why" and Linux says "I work most of the time, make me awesome!". Being the tinker that I am, I'd pick Linux. So yes, replacing OSX with Linux doesn't get me very far, but I feel that Linux has much more room for growth and improvement.

System Name Gamer
Processor AMD Ryzen 3700x
Motherboard AsRock B550 Phantom Gaming ITX/AX
Memory 32GB
Video Card(s) ASRock Radeon RX 6800 XT Phantom Gaming D
Case Phanteks Eclipse P200A D-RGB
Power Supply 800w CM
Mouse Corsair M65 Pro
Software Windows 10 Pro
OMG that wubi thing is amazing! I used Kubuntu for along time on my old gateway laptop and liked it alot but was just too much of a hassle. Doing wubi NAO!

Wile E

Power User
Processor 980X @ 4Ghz
Well, that's kinda why. OSX feels too simplified imo. Works ok for some, but I feel like it's been dumbed down too much. Plus, no right click drives me crazy! :p OSX probably has better compatibility than Linux, but it still seems to be lacking compared to Windows. So, from my perspective, OSX and Linux will have about the same compatibility.

That said, I haven't used OSX for an extended period of time, but I think I've used it enough to get the gist of it. To me OSX says "I just work, don't ask why" and Linux says "I work most of the time, make me awesome!". Being the tinker that I am, I'd pick Linux. So yes, replacing OSX with Linux doesn't get me very far, but I feel that Linux has much more room for growth and improvement.

It does have right-click, and there's a whole slew of things to do in the terminal for those so inclined. There are also options for adding various repos in the form of BSD ports and things of that nature. Trust me, you can tinker on OS X, if you so desire. It just takes a little digging.

OS X has come a long way since the days of 10.0-10.3. It didn't become a worthy OS until about 10.3.9. 10.4 is still my favorite, but the current 10.5 plays nicer with SMB networks.

All in all, it's worth another look, if you have it available.

Studabaker

System Name Built Entirely With Parts From CompUSA
Processor E7400 2.8 @ 3.6 [9.0*400/1.31v]
Motherboard Gigabyte EP45-UD3R
Cooling Masscool 8WA741
Memory 2x1GB Corsair XMS2 800 4-4-4-12
Video Card(s) BFG 9800GTX+OC; GTS250 BIOS
Storage 2x WD 250GB AAKS in RAID0!
Display(s) 19" I-Inc LCD @ 1440x900
Case Ultra X-Blaster Clear Side
Audio Device(s) Audigy with X-Fi drivers; Logitech X-540s
Power Supply Corsair TX750
Software Vista 32-Bit
Something everyone here missed, you can run X-Windows and also GNOME as your environment in OSX, pretty sure, and you can still use all ur OSX applications, I believe (not sure what else you would use).

It does have right-click, and there's a whole slew of things to do in the terminal for those so inclined. There are also options for adding various repos in the form of BSD ports and things of that nature. Trust me, you can tinker on OS X, if you so desire. It just takes a little digging.

OS X has come a long way since the days of 10.0-10.3. It didn't become a worthy OS until about 10.3.9. 10.4 is still my favorite, but the current 10.5 plays nicer with SMB networks.

All in all, it's worth another look, if you have it available.
Really? Hmmm. You speak highly of OSX. I might have to give it another look. But no way I'm getting Mac. ;)

Agreed, I'm not a fan of Macs, but the reason you'd buy a Mac is for the OS. If you want to run Linux you're better off buying a cheaper machine.

Agreed, I'm not a fan of Macs, but the reason you'd buy a Mac is for the OS. If you want to run Linux you're better off buying a cheaper machine.
Actually, price aside, I'd like to have a Mac machine. Apple's build quality is very good imo. But not good enough to justify the price.

I only suggested Linux on a Mac because the OP got a Mac for free.

System Name FumoffuFumoffu
Processor Intel i7 4770K
Motherboard Gigabyte Z87X -UD3H
Cooling Corsair H100i
Memory 16GB DDR3 1600 Crucial Ballistix
Video Card(s) Sapphire AMD Radeon HD 7970 OC
Storage 1- WD 500GB 1- Samsung F2 1.5TB 1- Crucial M4 128GB SSD 1-256GB ADATA XPG SX900 ASX900S3 SSD
Display(s) Hanns-G HZ281HPB 27.5'' 3ms Full HD 1920x1200 WideScreen LCD Monitor
Case Corsair Graphite Series 600T
Audio Device(s) Creative Soundblaster X-Fi Titanium
Power Supply Corsair HX 750W Gold
Software Windows 7 Pro x64
do you kno the syntax? i used ubuntu for alil bit and had a hell of a time getting everything installed as it's not windows where u double click and whatnot. To install some things you have to use ubuntu's "cmd prompt" and type in commands, which i never learned and had to google everytime almost. With time i'd have learned it but eh windows does everything i could ever want. As for all your games? probly not, but alot do run though with less efficiency than in windows. Is your current windows installation your whole drive? i believe there are programs that can resize the partition to make room for an ubuntu install but i don't know them. Otherwise yes, and yep formatting deletes ALL data on the disk, so you'll need to back up what you want to keep such as important documents, and music/games/videos unless you want to re-install or download it all.

Uh where did you learn to install from? I use the Terminal only when I can't use Synaptic Package Manager. If you dual boot Windows and Linux, Linux WILL NOT SLOW DOWN WINDOWS!!!! They are two completely different partitions. AS for games, there are literally thousands of games for Linux. For running Windoze games, use Wine, this is where you would need to use the Terminal. You can install from the Synaptic package manager (SPM), but it would be a generic package. Download the source package from http://sourceforge.net/projects/wine/files/Source/ .
You then need to read on http://www.winehq.org/documentation for how to compile from source. It could take a while depending on Internet speed and cpu speed. But the upside is that when you compile Wine from source, it is configured for your machine. So if you have a dual core, it will use dual core etc.
Ubuntu will repartition your hard drive for you if you choose to install it. There is no need for third party tools to repartition. Ubuntu will do everything for you smoothly. All you have to do is move a slider bar left or right to show how much space you want linux to have.

You can install ubuntu on a thumbdrive and carry it from PC to PC. you should use a program called Unetbootin.

Debian is more slimmed down than ubuntu so it can move smoother, then again, ubuntu is an offshoot of debain.:pimp:

System Name FumoffuFumoffu
Processor Intel i7 4770K
Motherboard Gigabyte Z87X -UD3H
Cooling Corsair H100i
Memory 16GB DDR3 1600 Crucial Ballistix
Video Card(s) Sapphire AMD Radeon HD 7970 OC
Storage 1- WD 500GB 1- Samsung F2 1.5TB 1- Crucial M4 128GB SSD 1-256GB ADATA XPG SX900 ASX900S3 SSD
Display(s) Hanns-G HZ281HPB 27.5'' 3ms Full HD 1920x1200 WideScreen LCD Monitor
Case Corsair Graphite Series 600T
Audio Device(s) Creative Soundblaster X-Fi Titanium
Power Supply Corsair HX 750W Gold
Software Windows 7 Pro x64

I hate to break my foot off in your ass but, OSX is not a *nix OS. It is a form of BSD (UNIX). *nix refers to Linux. I have no clue how you would run gnome in OSX because the API is still APPLE. I just checked with a mac buddy and NO YOU CAN NOT RUN GNOME IN OSX!!!.:banghead: