• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Win7 Issues (permissions & sound)

So I finally got Win7 Home Premium 64-bit. Cool. Install goes fine. But now I have a couple of issues.

1) File Permissions. Before this, I had XP and my account had a password. I kept a few system folders on another hard drive. These include the "Documents and Settings" folder, the "My Documents" folder and a folder that I kept some programs in. To install Win7 I wiped my C drive and installed it there. But now, all my files on my D drive are not accessible due to security restrictions. I've tried various things, and I've followed what the dialogs say, but when I try to change ownership of a huge folder, I always hit some random file that I'm not able to change. My only options are to cancel or try again.

My question is how can I completely erase existing ownerships and permissions and such? I've already done it for some of the files I need, but everything isn't 100% working yet.

2) Sound. My mic is very low. No hardware changes. Plugged in exactly the same way. The 20db boost didn't work well in XP. (extremely distorted) Sound works great, just the mic is extremely low. My sound card is an Chaintech AV-710, which is based on VIA's Envy24 HT-S chip. Win7 automatically suggested a driver (5.12) and I'm using it now, and it's the one causing problems. I tried using a newer driver, but I found some discrepancies. VIA's official site only offers up to 5.40a. But on a forum, I found version 5.40f. I tried 5.40f and then my sound was messed up. Sounded like my speaker on my phone and only the right one worked. I didn't bother testing the mic because of those issues.

So now what? I don't feel like trying all the possibilities so what do you all suggest?

3) A simple question. Like XP x64, Win7 has two program files folders, Program Files and Program Files (x86). I know the former is for 64 bit programs and the other is for 32bit programs. But is there any difference from the eyes of the OS? In other words, if I put a 32bit program in Program Files, it'll still work and everything. So Windows doesn't treat one folder different than the other? Kinda noobish, but just asking.

System Name HAL
Processor Core i9 13900k @5.8-6.1
Motherboard Z790 Arous master
Cooling EKWB Quantum Velocity V2 & (2) 360 Corsair XR7 Rads push/pull
Memory 2x 32GB (64GB) Gskill trident 6000 CL30 @28 1T
Video Card(s) RTX 4090 Gigagbyte gaming OC @ +200/1300
Storage (M2's) 2x Samsung 980 pro 2TB, 1xWD Black 2TB, 1x SK Hynix Platinum P41 2TB
Display(s) 65" LG OLED 120HZ
Case Lian Li dyanmic Evo11 with distro plate
Power Supply Thermaltake 1350
Software Microsoft Windows 11 x64
You can run 32 bit apps in a 64 bit os. I'm on 7, 64, home premium as well.
Can always run them in compatibility mode also.
File permissions I'm still getting use to myself being that I just installed win 7 like a week ago. XD

Your mic sound in what is low? Sounds like teamspeak with the db boost.
I would try messing with it in the OS audio properties and using the testing option in there.
Right click the volume icon, select recording devices, verify the recording volume is at max or close.
Then right click the volume icon again and go to playback devices and make sure the playback volume is at max or close.
Sometimes being at max causes distortion though, so test away.
good luck.

AsRock

TPU addict
Processor AMD 3900X \ AMD 7700X
Motherboard ASRock AM4 X570 Pro 4 \ ASUS X670Xe TUF
Cooling D15
Memory Patriot 2x16GB PVS432G320C6K \ G.Skill Flare X5 F5-6000J3238F 2x16GB
Video Card(s) eVga GTX1060 SSC \ XFX RX 6950XT RX-695XATBD9
Storage Sammy 860, MX500, Sabrent Rocket 4 Sammy Evo 980 \ 1xSabrent Rocket 4+, Sammy 2x990 Pro
Display(s) Samsung 1080P \ LG 43UN700
Case Fractal Design Pop Air 2x140mm fans from Torrent \ Fractal Design Torrent 2 SilverStone FHP141x2
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V677 \ Yamaha CX-830+Yamaha MX-630 Infinity RS4000\Paradigm P Studio 20, Blue Yeti
Power Supply Seasonic Prime TX-750 \ Corsair RM1000X Shift
Mouse Steelseries Sensei wireless \ Steelseries Sensei wireless
Keyboard Logitech K120 \ Wooting Two HE
Benchmark Scores Meh benchmarks.
You can run 32 bit apps in a 64 bit os. I'm on 7, 64, home premium as well.
Can always run them in compatibility mode also.
File permissions I'm still getting use to myself being that I just installed win 7 like a week ago. XD

Your mic sound in what is low? Sounds like teamspeak with the db boost.
I would try messing with it in the OS audio properties and using the testing option in there.
Right click the volume icon, select recording devices, verify the recording volume is at max or close.
Then right click the volume icon again and go to playback devices and make sure the playback volume is at max or close.
Sometimes being at max causes distortion though, so test away.
good luck.
I know you can run 32 bit apps in Win7 x64. Maybe I should rephrase my question. I just want to know if the two Program Files folders are are treated differently by the OS? Or does the OS just see two folders and one happens to have only 32 bit programs in it and the other happens to have only 64 bit programs in it. Is that clearer?

My rig is down, so I can't make any changes right now, but I do know that I have had my volume at its max and at around 80% when it was running. I recorded myself in Sound Recorder and when I played it back, it was really soft. Battlefield 2 does not even pick up my mic at all anymore. (Which is the real reason why this is an issue ;))

Maybe this ?..
http://www.emco.is/products/unlock-it/features.php

Sure be some thing out there.

Just a few others related to unlocking files
http://ccollomb.free.fr/unlocker/
I don't mean to be rude, but I don't think those will work. I've used Unlocker before and those kind of programs seem to 'unlock' folders and files when other processes are using them. In my case, the folders and files belong to another user (which doesn't exist anymore) and I don't have permission to change the files.

That said, I will try these programs as soon as I get my rig running again, and I do really appreciate the suggestions from both of you. :)