• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Does Nvidia's 3D vision kit work with 120hz or 3D-enabled TVs?

Status
Not open for further replies.
System Name AMD RyZen PC
Processor AMD RyZen 5950x
Motherboard ASUS Crosshair VIII Hero 570x WIFI
Cooling Custom Loop
Memory 64GB G.Skill Trident Z DDR4 3200 MHz 14C x4
Video Card(s) Evga 3080 TI
Storage Seagate 8TB + 3TB + 4TB + 2TB external + 512 Samsung 980
Display(s) LG 4K 144Hz 27GN950-B
Case Thermaltake CA-1F8-00M1WN-02 Core X71 Tempered Glass Edition Black
Audio Device(s) XI-FI 8.1
Power Supply EVGA 700W
Mouse Microsoft
Keyboard Microsoft
Software Windows 10 x64 Pro
He does that with everything or almost everything, that's why I don't believe anything he says. i.e probably the most obvious case was the 8800GTX (not having unified shaders, being DX9, 48 pixel shaders/8 vertex), but it has happened with Fermi too (although he was semi-accurate on some things). i.e Where's the article (or wathever) where he admits he was wrong about Fermi not having fixed function units? where the one about not having a tesselator?

Where the one where he admits he was wrong about Nvidia preventing Lucid Hydra from releasing/working? Etc, etc, etc. It's very easy to "be always right" if you only post links to the articles wwere you were "right". But I have memory, so he can not fool me.

lol. Like I said, give credit where credit is due. I told you that I don't have 3D Vision nor I will ever have (unless it comes down in price a lot) and that I do have ED shutter glasses and use them a lot. There's nothing I would like more than saying ED glasses are the best thing, but they're not. 3D Vision is better and IMO IZ3D monitor is even better (for S3D, sadly for the rest is meh, at best). So pack your opinions regarding me and tell your opinion on the subject.

EDIT: BTW. Why is it that every time that someone is talking about 3D Vision, PhysX or any particular feature, an Ati card owner has to finish saying something like "What do you want me to say ?? Nvidia is the best ??" Where did I mention Nvidia at all? Is Nvidia the best? IMO arguably not, but one particular product can certainly be. Stupid fanboys.

here is what u said earlier :)

Originally Posted by Benetanegia View Post
No. It's just that the syncing is so much better over the USB than over VGA dongle. Look, I've told you I've been this for years, don't pretend that you know more than I do or at least not with such well known arguments. I've discarded all of them. I'm not stupid, I'm not a child and you are acting as if I was one. I know how it works, thank you very much, I don't need anyone teching me.

EDIT: And SemiAccurate? Really? Don't tell me that Charlie Demerjian thinks that 3d Vision, something Nvidia made, is shit. No freaking way!

think before you talk.. and for your question about ATI user talking.. may be they use their brain to choose a product than color.. if i see a better product from Nvidia. u will see me on nvidia side :)

System Name AMD RyZen PC
Cooling Custom Loop
Power Supply EVGA 700W
Mouse Microsoft
Keyboard Microsoft

Benetanegia

here is what u said earlier :)

Originally Posted by Benetanegia View Post
No. It's just that the syncing is so much better over the USB than over VGA dongle. Look, I've told you I've been this for years, don't pretend that you know more than I do or at least not with such well known arguments. I've discarded all of them. I'm not stupid, I'm not a child and you are acting as if I was one. I know how it works, thank you very much, I don't need anyone teching me.

EDIT: And SemiAccurate? Really? Don't tell me that Charlie Demerjian thinks that 3d Vision, something Nvidia made, is shit. No freaking way!

think before you talk.. and for your question about ATI user talking.. may be they use their brain to choose a product than color.. if i see a better product from Nvidia. u will see me on nvidia side :)

You were being condescending. I told you I've been using 3D Stero for many years, yet you continued coming up with stupid argumens as to why I don't see S3D better with ED glasses than 3D Vision. Stupid arguments btw. Nobody who has ever gamed on S3D, would make those mistakes when using shutter glasses... I have tweak profiles until exhaustion for every game and still think Iz3D monitor and 3D Vision are far superior. You are not going to change what my eyes have seen, so stop saying stupid things like "you are playing at low hz or fps and that's why you think that". FYI I'm 99.99999% sure that my CRT monitor is far better than the DLP projector they were using.

Ati has no product so I don't know how are you going to use from them. My argument is still mantained and it was not about you having an Ati card, is about how it seems that every Ati user thinks that "if it is against my opinion, it's Nvidia fanboy". It's quite funny, it happens to me, it happens to Newtekie and OMG it has happened twice in a day to Fitseries too not so long ago, so yeah I stand by my opinion on that. Like I said I not once did I mention Nvidia, so I have no idea why you came up with that statement. I neither mentioned Avatar so...

ol ok man.. dont cry..

What do you want me to say ?? Nvidia is the best ??

ok ok... Nvidia is the best, GTX480 is the coolest and Avatar 3D is nothing in front of 3D vision

Happy now ???

Cool man.. Nvidia Rocks

Mussels

Freshwater Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rainbow Sparkles (Power efficient, <350W gaming load)
Processor Ryzen R7 5800x3D (Undervolted, 4.45GHz all core)
Motherboard Asus x570-F (BIOS Modded)
Cooling Alphacool Apex UV - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora + EK Quantum ARGB 3090 w/ active backplate
Memory 2x32GB DDR4 3600 Corsair Vengeance RGB @3866 C18-22-22-22-42 TRFC704 (1.4V Hynix MJR - SoC 1.15V)
Video Card(s) Galax RTX 3090 SG 24GB: Underclocked to 1700Mhz 0.750v (375W down to 250W))
Storage 2TB WD SN850 NVME + 1TB Sasmsung 970 Pro NVME + 1TB Intel 6000P NVME USB 3.2
Display(s) Phillips 32 32M1N5800A (4k144), LG 32" (4K60) | Gigabyte G32QC (2k165) | Phillips 328m6fjrmb (2K144)
Case Fractal Design R6
Audio Device(s) Logitech G560 | Corsair Void pro RGB |Blue Yeti mic
Power Supply Fractal Ion+ 2 860W (Platinum) (This thing is God-tier. Silent and TINY)
Mouse Logitech G Pro wireless + Steelseries Prisma XL
Keyboard Razer Huntsman TE ( Sexy white keycaps)
VR HMD Oculus Rift S + Quest 2
Software Windows 11 pro x64 (Yes, it's genuinely a good OS) OpenRGB - ditch the branded bloatware!
Benchmark Scores Nyooom.
why would i do something like that ??

well... you did

System Name AMD RyZen PC
Cooling Custom Loop
Power Supply EVGA 700W
Mouse Microsoft
Keyboard Microsoft
System Name AMD RyZen PC
Cooling Custom Loop
Power Supply EVGA 700W
Mouse Microsoft
Keyboard Microsoft
i think there is something wrong with you Benetanegia.. i never said DLP is bad and i still say the same... Nvidia 3D vision is not Gr8 than ED for the Price you pay on top of ED,s

And you talk like a fan boy and you are one and its very clear in the way you defend yourself.

you just said

Ati has no product so I don't know how are you going to use from them

which clearly shows the fanboy in you. i don't give a sh*** about the company

"All i care is to get a good product for the hard earned money i pay"

if you check my history, i started using FX5200 and till 7900 i was with Nvidia and then bought my first ATI 4850 and now 5770. so i am not a fan of a company but ya the product.

I am not going to get anything out of supporting a company. but i want to help people decide what they can buy with their hard earned money.. and for your information... ED is not owned by ATI.. :shadedshu

i can support 3D vision when it comes to the looks of the glass.. but nothing els..

OK if you still don't believe. take one ED glass and one 3D vision glass. use 120hz LCD mon and use a Nvidia card and driver.

first use the 3D vision Glass with a game which supports it and try the same game on ED glasses. it also uses the same Nvidia driver and you will not see any difference.

me and my friend tried it. we felt booth are looking same. just the the Nv glasses where comfortable and the ED was not. but that can be fixed.

the reason for checking was to see what my friend got for paying 300$ and if it was good. i would have bought one for watching Movies. all i need is a 9600GT which i can pick. and the reason for buying a ATI card is, because of price vs performance. simple as that.

if you don't mind.. how old are you my friend ??

Last edited:

Benetanegia

i think there is something wrong with you Benetanegia.. i never said DLP is bad and i still say the same... Nvidia 3D vision is not Gr8 than ED for the Price you pay on top of ED,s

And you talk like a fan boy and you are one and its very clear in the way you defend yourself.

you just said

which clearly shows the fanboy in you. i don't give a sh*** about the company

"All i care is to get a good product for the hard earned money i pay"

if you check my history, i started using FX5200 and till 7900 i was with Nvidia and then bought my first ATI 4850 and now 5770. so i am not a fan of a company but ya the product.

I am not going to get anything out of supporting a company. but i want to help people decide what they can buy with their hard earned money.. and for your information... ED is not owned by ATI.. :shadedshu

i can support 3D vision when it comes to the looks of the glass.. but nothing els..

OK if you still don't believe. take one ED glass and one 3D vision glass. use 120hz LCD mon and use a Nvidia card and driver.

first use the 3D vision Glass with a game which supports it and try the same game on ED glasses. it also uses the same Nvidia driver and you will not see any difference.

me and my friend tried it. we felt booth are looking same. just the the Nv glasses where comfortable and the ED was not. but that can be fixed.

the reason for checking was to see what my friend got for paying 300$ and if it was good. i would have bought one for watching Movies. all i need is a 9600GT which i can pick. and the reason for buying a ATI card is, because of price vs performance. simple as that.

if you don't mind.. how old are you my friend ??

WTH are you talking about.

First of all, we are talking about 3D glasses, so that's why I say that Ati has no product, because it actually does not have any product (you even tell me so in a weird twist of opinions). It's you and only you who is moving this conversation out from there and into graphics cards and into Ati vs. Nvidia and how Ati is the best and bla bla bla. Which clearly shows who the fanboy is. I repeat, Ati has no product, since this is about 3D glasses, and 3D Glasses is what the OP wants. Exposing the fact that AMD/Ati sells no 3D glasses doesn't make me any fanboy, definately. Check your own.

Second, I couldn't care less about which cards you have owned, for the nth time, this is not about graphics cards, this is not about Nvidia or Ati, so just keep them out from here. Not to mention that naming the cards that you have owned from the "other company" already makes you a fanboy like 90% of the times (just random number...). It's a clear sign. There can't be any clearer one.

Third, once again you keep telling me to use the ED glasses with this and that and bla bla bla. You keep trying to tell me that if I see a difference is because I did something wrong. And again, for the nth time my response is: I did try everything to improve the experience on my glasses, the ones that I currently own. Hence, why I told you that I'm not stupid, I have to have the best experience that my gear can give me, thank you very much. Yet, 3D Vision is better, and I only needed an hour to realize it, even when the monitor they were using was far worse than my own monitor and FYI, since it's so important for you, they were using a GTX260, not even the 216SP one (this was a Store, not E3/GDC/pick one). It's clear that I'm inherently saying they are better IMO, since stereo3D experience can only be subjective (not two different people see the same thing). Then again I also mentioned that MTBS3D, a site completely dedicated to Stereo3D for a long time, also share my same opinion in most games than not, and that works out like some kind of objective/expert opinion that asses that 3DVision is better (at least to the same extent that Wizzard/pick a reviewer can tell us one card is better than other).

The fact that for you (or for this friend of yours that so conveniently poped up in your last post... :laugh:) it's the same, means absolutely nothing, just as does not the fact that I do see a great difference. That's why we give our opinion here, so that the OP can learn from the most of us the better. Ask gamers and the grand majority will tell you that there's no difference between 4xAA and 16-24-32xAA (hell there's many that would say there's very little difference between having it on or off, always talking about gamers, not enthusiasts), but there is a difference and the fact of seeing it or not only relies in the own experience of the user. Some have a more relaxed requirements or discerning threshold, which means they are going to be willing to pay more for the greater quality or not, but that doesn't change the fact that there is an objective difference.

There are many examples of that:

- Antialiasing 4/8/16xAA. FYI IMO sometimes even 2xAA is enough. Still higher levels produce a significant better image and saying otherwise would be stupid.
- Anisotropic. Some people are not even able to notice if it's activated. For me even x16 falls short.
- MP3 versus "unconpressed", no difference? No difference my ass! And FYI I have all my music ripped to MP3 and I always play that. Again it depends on what you choose to be "enough".
- On board audio versus X-Fi/Xonar/Terratec/etc, etc, etc. Again, no difference? My ass.
- DivX/Xvid. Superb quality, I can't express with words how good I think these codecs are, but there is a big difference between them and raw content or say H264 content.

And last our example at hand:

- ED glasses versus 3D Vision/IZ3D monitor. The same? Check your eyes, it's time to visit your oculist. I mean does ED even include the option to run them through DVI now?? They sure didn't when I bought them and their site doesn't mention it at all. Not that I needed since I play on CRT.

Now like I said, ED glasses are probably the best thing you can get for the money. That this was my opinion is something I think was clear from the start, since that's what I own. Can you find a better proof? I love Stereo3D and I own a pair of ED glasses, 3 pairs actually. But now, returning to the original point I was making, 3D Vision is much better (and kind off-topic, but IMO IZ3D monitor is even better). As a 3D enthusiast that has probably tried every solution out there I can't say anything but that. I can't say anything but the truth as seen from my perspective.

Finally, I don't know why do you want to know my age, but I'm 27 and I've been playing on PC since I was 6-7 or so (actually whenever the original PC version of Prince of Persia was released). And in case your also interested. I started with 3d pretty early, with Quake I think was the first game to include some kind of 3D (anaglyph, of course), although I have no idea about the state of 3d back then. Just telling how I perceived it.

Last edited:
System Name AMD RyZen PC
Cooling Custom Loop
Power Supply EVGA 700W
Mouse Microsoft
Keyboard Microsoft
Benetanegia you are talking rude...

You never tried to understand what i said and you will not understand what i am saying.

And i don't give a DM if ATI has a 3D glass or not.

I can only wake up some one who is sleeping. not the one who is acting as if he is sleeping. you eye is green and cant help it.

all i said was that the effect in both glasses are same. even if there is a difference as you mentioned. like 2x to 4x. 225$ extra is not worth the difference.

And some one with a bit of commonsense will not spent so much extra cash to see a difference like you said about AA and AF.

if you spent so much of extra cash. the difference should be noticeable for everyone.

And again i am telling you the same. don't talk like this (give respect and take respect..)

Respect people and try to understand what they are talking about.

and the site you are talking about. i know the site and asked them a question as i am buying a new ED to know what they say. all are asking me to buy a IZ3D or a zalman monitor. no one asked me to buy 3Dvision.

And IZ3D and zalman are much better than 3D vision and ED. and you get it for the same price of 3D vision.

And i didn't know that you are getting so much sound from your ass, is it 7.1 ??

Take things lite and don't get angry for small things.

the way you talk shows that you are between 16 to 25 of age. if you are older. please behave like one my friend.

Benetanegia

So now, you finally admit there is a difference, even if it is small according to you. Like I told you, how small that difference is can only be told by the user. And like I said that difference is big in this case.

Another thing, $225 price difference? What are you talking about? Crap, that's what you're talking about now. The 3DVision kit costs $200 to begin with, difference can never be greater than that (ED glasses cot $100/150 BTW) and IZ3D/Trimon are a worse overall solution than 3D Vision. Their Stereo3D is better (again it depends on the game) and I've been telling you that all through the thread so I really don't know why you mention that as if giving me a lesson when I've been telling you that all the time (you say me to respect you, but you have been faulting all the time, follow your own rules first, before asking others to follow them).

But as a monitor they are far worse than 120 Hz monitors, as a standard monitor they are mediocre at best indeed. It doesn't matter though, since the OP suposedly owns a 120 Hz monitor and even if he didn't, the 120 Hz monitor is required no matter which shutter glasses were going to be used, be it 3D Vision or EDimensional or ELSA or whatever.

You are not one to tell if the $100 difference pays off or not. Not at all. And yes the difference is $100 maximum, comaring Wired ED glasses to 3d Vision. Only $50 difference if you want to go with the wireless ones. You act as if ED = 3D Vision and is not by any means. The biggest difference being that ED glasses only function over the VGA dongle/emitter/syncronitation module, while 3DVision works over native DVI and HDMI too. Now if you tell me there's no difference between an LCD running a native DVI signal and a VGA-to-DVI converted signal, you are clearly demostrating you either don't know shit or you are simply full of crap.

But that's not all, since 3D Vision bundles every wire you might need, ED doesn't. The build quality is far superior, there's not even a point comparing the range at which they can work and game support is greater too, allowing you to do things such as using shadows and/or post-effects in games where the ED ones won't allow you if you want a clean 3D effect.

Is the above worth the extra $50 over the wireless ED glasses? Is it even worth going with wireless glasses? Well I own the wired ED glasses, and refuse to buy 3D Vision, because that was my choice, but I will never negate the truth to a person asking for help: wireless is better and 3D Vision is the best one of these two options.

Mussels

Freshwater Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rainbow Sparkles (Power efficient, <350W gaming load)
Processor Ryzen R7 5800x3D (Undervolted, 4.45GHz all core)
Motherboard Asus x570-F (BIOS Modded)
Cooling Alphacool Apex UV - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora + EK Quantum ARGB 3090 w/ active backplate
Memory 2x32GB DDR4 3600 Corsair Vengeance RGB @3866 C18-22-22-22-42 TRFC704 (1.4V Hynix MJR - SoC 1.15V)
Video Card(s) Galax RTX 3090 SG 24GB: Underclocked to 1700Mhz 0.750v (375W down to 250W))
Storage 2TB WD SN850 NVME + 1TB Sasmsung 970 Pro NVME + 1TB Intel 6000P NVME USB 3.2
Display(s) Phillips 32 32M1N5800A (4k144), LG 32" (4K60) | Gigabyte G32QC (2k165) | Phillips 328m6fjrmb (2K144)
Case Fractal Design R6
Audio Device(s) Logitech G560 | Corsair Void pro RGB |Blue Yeti mic
Power Supply Fractal Ion+ 2 860W (Platinum) (This thing is God-tier. Silent and TINY)
Mouse Logitech G Pro wireless + Steelseries Prisma XL
Keyboard Razer Huntsman TE ( Sexy white keycaps)
VR HMD Oculus Rift S + Quest 2
Software Windows 11 pro x64 (Yes, it's genuinely a good OS) OpenRGB - ditch the branded bloatware!
Benchmark Scores Nyooom.
i think everyones bored of the arguing, and no ones gunna benefit from this game of fanboy tennis.

Status
Not open for further replies.