• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Weird power-up error...

CloserDivision

Hey all, a friend of mine got good advice from this forum before, so i figured I'd give it a shot. I just build a computer today, and when I powered it up for the first time, it power up fine, but nothing happened on screen. I figured it was the video card or processor, so I reseated them. When I went to turn it on the next time, the computer turned on for half a second, then turned off. It continues to try to turn on and off without pressing the button again. Anyone have any idea what is wrong?
Mobo: Biostar TPower I55
PSU: Corsair 750
Processor: i7 1156

System Name KILLER
Processor Intel Core i7 4790K
Motherboard MSI Z87 G45 Gaming
Cooling Water Cooling
Memory 2x8GB Gskill 2400mhz
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 980
Storage SSD Samsung 500GB
Display(s) 24" Asus 144hz
Case Cooler Master HAF
Audio Device(s) X-Fi Platinum
Power Supply Antec 1200 Watt Modular
Software Windows 10 64 Bit
Benchmark Scores 3DMark Vantage 51342
What error code does it give you on the mobo lcd?

CloserDivision

If it powered up long enough for me to see one, I'd tell you...

Last edited:
System Name KILLER
Processor Intel Core i7 4790K
Motherboard MSI Z87 G45 Gaming
Cooling Water Cooling
Memory 2x8GB Gskill 2400mhz
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 980
Storage SSD Samsung 500GB
Display(s) 24" Asus 144hz
Case Cooler Master HAF
Audio Device(s) X-Fi Platinum
Power Supply Antec 1200 Watt Modular
Software Windows 10 64 Bit
Benchmark Scores 3DMark Vantage 51342
Make sure your CPU fan is fully seated and plugged into the cpu fan socket on the mobo.

Check you ram and make sure everyting is in fully.

Also try taking your bios battery out for a couple minutes and then put it back and try agian.

Processor INTEL CORE I9-9900K @ 5Ghz all core 4.7Ghz Cache @1.305 volts
Motherboard ASUS PRIME Z390-P ATX
Cooling CORSAIR HYDRO H150I PRO RGB 360MM 6x120mm fans push pull
Memory CRUCIAL BALLISTIX 3000Mhz 4x8 32gb @ 4000Mhz
Video Card(s) EVGA GEFORECE RTX 2080 SUPER XC HYBRID GAMING
Storage ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro 1TB 3D NAND NVMe,Intel 660p 1TB m.2 ,1TB WD Blue 3D NAND,500GB WD Blue 3D NAND,
Display(s) 50" Sharp Roku TV 8ms responce time and Philips 75Hz 328E9QJAB 32" curved
Case BLACK LIAN LI O11 DYNAMIC XL FULL-TOWER GAMING CASE,
Power Supply 1600 Watt
Software Windows 10
are the risors installed inbetween mobo and back plate of case?

CloserDivision

When I plug in the PSU before i try turning it on, a red LED is on on the mobo. So, it IS getting power...

System Name Flow
Processor AMD Phenom II 955 BE
Motherboard MSI 790fx GD70
Cooling Water
Memory 8gb Crucial Ballistix Tracer Blue ddr3 1600 c8
Video Card(s) 2 x XFX 6850 - Yet to go under water.
Storage Corsair s128
Display(s) HP 24" 1920x1200
Case Custom Lian-Li V2110b
Audio Device(s) Auzentech X-Fi Forte 7.1
Power Supply Corsair 850HX
Try a single stick of ram, or some lower end ram if you have some - although I doubt this is the problem. Obviously you need to isolate each component in the system in order to find the problem. I suggest also trying an alternate PSU even if it is a low powered one.

Start the troubleshooting process make sure that absolutely nothing is plugged into the system except the processor, one stick of ram and the PSU. See if it stays on when powered (it should), then systematically add things. First the second stick of RAM, then the video card upon success of the RAM and lastly any addons such as dvd drives, hard drives or other expansion cards.

There is an obvious possibility that you have a bad board, if you don't make it past the first step then try the other PSU and other RAM - if all else fails contact your retailer for an RMA.

(I am not familiar with this board specifically, but if it has a CMOS jumper check that as well - better yet go through the manual thoroughly and check all the simple things, even ones that you think are super obvious to you)

CloserDivision

Try a single stick of ram, or some lower end ram if you have some - although I doubt this is the problem. Obviously you need to isolate each component in the system in order to find the problem. I suggest also trying an alternate PSU even if it is a low powered one.

Start the troubleshooting process make sure that absolutely nothing is plugged into the system except the processor, one stick of ram and the PSU. See if it stays on when powered (it should), then systematically add things. First the second stick of RAM, then the video card upon success of the RAM and lastly any addons such as dvd drives, hard drives or other expansion cards.

There is an obvious possibility that you have a bad board, if you don't make it past the first step then try the other PSU and other RAM - if all else fails contact your retailer for an RMA.

(I am not familiar with this board specifically, but if it has a CMOS jumper check that as well - better yet go through the manual thoroughly and check all the simple things, even ones that you think are super obvious to you)
Just took out everything but the PSU, processor, and mobo. still no go. Thanks for the assistance. RMAing the processor and mobo.

System Name Flow
Cooling Water
Storage Corsair s128
Static is an extremely rare cause of death - for instance the only anti static precaution I take when building a system is wearing shoes and not walking of carpet and I have never killed a board that wasnt DOA (I test all my boards on the motherboard box the instant I take them out of the packaging)

And needless to say I have built a crap ton of computers. :D

CloserDivision

Static is an extremely rare cause of death - for instance the only anti static precaution I take when building a system is wearing shoes and not walking of carpet and I have never killed a board that wasnt DOA (I test all my boards on the motherboard box the instant I take them out of the packaging)

And needless to say I have built a crap ton of computers. :D

Chances are I did something really stupid. I think the reason that the video card didn't work the first time was that I didn't plug it in to the PSU (i didnt see the power cable that came with it). This is my first build and I figured I'd make some scrub mistakes.

System Name Flow
Cooling Water
Storage Corsair s128
Good luck man, I hope that the RMA works out for you and you don't give up on a great hobby and a great way to save money on a good computer!