• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Few questions about Ubuntu

System Name HAL9000
Processor i5 3750k @ stock
Motherboard Asus P8Z77-V LX
Cooling Corsair H80i
Memory Corsair Vengeance 8GB 1600MHz
Video Card(s) Sapphire 7970 Vapor-X GHz 3GB
Storage Samsung Evo 850 256GB
Display(s) BenQ XL2411T @ 144Hz
Case anidees AI6BW
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar D2X
Power Supply Corsair TX650M
Software W10 64bit
So I'm considering switching from Win 7 64 bit to the new RC Ubuntu and I have a few questions as my whole life, I have never tried Linux or Mac, just Windows.

1. What is the difference between all different Ubuntu's (such as Ubuntu and Kubuntu)?
2. Will Ubuntu support all my hardware?
3. Can I play games the same way I can on Windows (e.g. GTA 4, CSS etc)?
4. Does Ubuntu support big commercial programs such as Adobe Photoshop, Windows Office, Steam, Google Chrome, Foobar etc?
5. How would I prevent all my files deleting during the installation? (As far as I'm aware you just stick them on your HDD and they should be saved but is this true for Ubuntu too?)

Anyway, if I don't like Ubuntu I can just switch back to Win 7 as I have the CD but I'm just very curious to how it is.

PVTCaboose1337

Graphical Hacker
System Name Whim
Processor Intel Core i5 2500k @ 4.4ghz
Cooling Cooler Master Hyper 212+
Memory 2 x 4GB G.Skill Ripjaws @ 1600mhz
Video Card(s) Gigabyte GTX 670 2gb
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256gb, WD 2TB Black
Display(s) Shimian QH270 (1440p), Asus VE228 (1080p)
Case Cooler Master 430 Elite
Audio Device(s) Onboard > PA2V2 Amp > Senn 595's
Power Supply Corsair 750w
Software Windows 8.1 (Tweaked)
So I'm considering switching from Win 7 64 bit to the new RC Ubuntu and I have a few questions as my whole life, I have never tried Linux or Mac, just Windows.

1. What is the difference between all different Ubuntu's (such as Ubuntu and Kubuntu)?
2. Will Ubuntu support all my hardware?
3. Can I play games the same way I can on Windows (e.g. GTA 4, CSS etc)?
4. Does Ubuntu support big commercial programs such as Adobe Photoshop, Windows Office, Steam, Google Chrome, Foobar etc?
5. How would I prevent all my files deleting during the installation? (As far as I'm aware you just stick them on your HDD and they should be saved but is this true for Ubuntu too?)

Anyway, if I don't like Ubuntu I can just switch back to Win 7 as I have the CD but I'm just very curious to how it is.

1. Ubuntu uses Gnome, Kubuntu KDE
2. Yes
3. With WINE, sometimes, configuration is tough (for n00bs)
4. With WINE, mostly
5. You can make a partition with the built in Gparted, or better yet, dual boot.

I recommend you dual boot, partition your drive in half, so you can boot to Windows or Ubuntu. If you don't like one after a certain time you can uninstall it. Easy as pie!

Mussels

Freshwater Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rainbow Sparkles (Power efficient, <350W gaming load)
Processor Ryzen R7 5800x3D (Undervolted, 4.45GHz all core)
Motherboard Asus x570-F (BIOS Modded)
Cooling Alphacool Apex UV - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora + EK Quantum ARGB 3090 w/ active backplate
Memory 2x32GB DDR4 3600 Corsair Vengeance RGB @3866 C18-22-22-22-42 TRFC704 (1.4V Hynix MJR - SoC 1.15V)
Video Card(s) Galax RTX 3090 SG 24GB: Underclocked to 1700Mhz 0.750v (375W down to 250W))
Storage 2TB WD SN850 NVME + 1TB Sasmsung 970 Pro NVME + 1TB Intel 6000P NVME USB 3.2
Display(s) Phillips 32 32M1N5800A (4k144), LG 32" (4K60) | Gigabyte G32QC (2k165) | Phillips 328m6fjrmb (2K144)
Case Fractal Design R6
Audio Device(s) Logitech G560 | Corsair Void pro RGB |Blue Yeti mic
Power Supply Fractal Ion+ 2 860W (Platinum) (This thing is God-tier. Silent and TINY)
Mouse Logitech G Pro wireless + Steelseries Prisma XL
Keyboard Razer Huntsman TE ( Sexy white keycaps)
VR HMD Oculus Rift S + Quest 2
Software Windows 11 pro x64 (Yes, it's genuinely a good OS) OpenRGB - ditch the branded bloatware!
Benchmark Scores Nyooom.
1. easiest to find out by checking their homepages. they're basically pre-setup for various tasks.

2. linux support is totally random.

3. no. using the best emulators on linux, you're lucky if you get the mainstream games running at all, let alone at windows performance levels. highest support emulated is DX9.

4. No. if it runs on windows, it doesnt run on linux. WINE allows SOME stuff to work, but its buggy, and complicated.

5. It will have to format. so dont install it to a HDD with data on it.

System Name HAL9000
Cooling Corsair H80i
Case anidees AI6BW
Software W10 64bit
Hmmm...

Thanks for the extremely rapid answers, guys :)

PVT - May you elaborate on how to Dual Boot or provide me with a link as I have heard of it but never actually been interested in it or considered it.

System Name i7-PC / HTPC / iMac
Processor i7 3820 / Phenom II 940
Motherboard GIGABYTE G1.ASSASSIN2 / M3A79-T Deluxe
Cooling Corsair Hydro H100i / Scythe II (HS only)
Memory G.SKILL Trident X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3 1600mhz / 4GB DDR2 1066 (@800) Corsair Dominator
Video Card(s) GB Radeon HD 7950s 3GB / GB Radeon HD 7950s 3GB
Storage 2x 80GB Intel X-25, 2x600gb SATA, 1x1tb 5400RPM storage /1x600GB, 3x500GB,1x160,1x120 SATA
Display(s) 1x 27" Yamakasi / Vizio 42" HDTV
Case Lian Li Lancool PC-K58 / Antec 900
Audio Device(s) HT Omega Striker 7.1 / Onboard and HDMI from ATi Card
Power Supply PC Power & Cooling 750W / 610W
Software Ubuntu / Windows 8.1 Pro / OS X / PHPStorm / Gaming
download wubi and you can install it from windows, with proper boot cfg set up.

you may need to reinstall windows to have partitions separate(1 partition for windows, & the space for ubuntu left raw ubuntu will partition and format it itself). unless you have another drive to use.

you are free to dual boot with ubuntu, whether you have windows installed first and you want ubuntu installed on top of it, or Ubuntu installed first and you want windows as your side OS.

Either way there will be one boot loader to take care of your multiples OS, there's a lot of walkthrough available through google

Solaris17

Super Dainty Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rocinante
Processor I9 14900KS
Motherboard EVGA z690 Dark KINGPIN (modded BIOS)
Cooling EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB
Memory 64GB Gskill Trident Z5 DDR5 6000 @6400
Video Card(s) MSI SUPRIM Liquid X 4090
Storage 1x 500GB 980 Pro | 1x 1TB 980 Pro | 1x 8TB Corsair MP400
Display(s) Odyssey OLED G9 G95SC
Case Lian Li o11 Evo Dynamic White
Audio Device(s) Moondrop S8's on Schiit Hel 2e
Power Supply Bequiet! Power Pro 12 1500w
Mouse Lamzu Atlantis mini (White)
Keyboard Monsgeek M3 Lavender, Akko Crystal Blues
VR HMD Quest 3
Software Windows 11
Benchmark Scores I dont have time for that.
1. easiest to find out by checking their homepages. they're basically pre-setup for various tasks.

2. linux support is totally random.

3. no. using the best emulators on linux, you're lucky if you get the mainstream games running at all, let alone at windows performance levels. highest support emulated is DX9.

4. No. if it runs on windows, it doesnt run on linux.

5. It will have to format. so dont install it to a HDD with data on it.

this is full of errors.

1. mostly the use of the window manager Gnome for ubuntu KDE for kubuntu. That was originally the purpose for the distinction. now however they may or may now include/exclude programs the other does or does not have depending on version.

2.No linux support is not totally random. It will support everything even the most recent cards. however for the most recent cards (GTX series) I do not belive you can enable 3D yet because they need to update the drivers. Ubuntu will support w/e your running. It may or may not include the drivers for some older hardware but they are easily gotten.

3. i agree with the quoted. Not worth it if you want to game.

4. Incorrect. Some prorams and even some games are ported to linux via the company itself. However in your particular list. only chrome and photoshop I know for a fact you can get to run. chrome supports linux natively. Photoshop will work under wine upto CS3 their are a bunch of guides. Just because it runs on windows DOES NOT MEAN it WONT run on linux.

5. Ubuntu has the ability using "wubi" to install next to windows from within windows. download and mount the ISO. Then click on the auto run or navigate to wubi.exe and click it. It will then auto install ubuntu next to windows. It can also be removed later.

naoan

System Name AMD?
Audio Device(s) onboard
Software 7 X64
1. Linux has something called "desktop environment" as the name suggest it is practically a whole different set of shell; usually they differ greatly from one another but the core is still linux.

This is what distinquish between K-X-Ubuntu flavor; they're all have different DE. I suggest to familiarize yourself with the concept first as this may be confusing for first timer...

2. I have to agree that it is random, but it's getting better these days... just be ready to hit their helpful forum if you have problem. Dual booting windows can be handy in as sometimes even your ethernet driver could be borked.

3. Linux != games sadly

4. wine, a way to run windows executable in Linux

5. learn how to partition your hard disk, this'll come in handy in many situation. be ready with windows installation disc if you intend to delete your linux partition.

System Name HAL9000
Cooling Corsair H80i
Case anidees AI6BW
Software W10 64bit
Damn, I installed the thingy called Wubi and right now I'm sitting on Ubuntu :D
Looks like my VGA isn't supported though as there's a big logo saying AMD Unsupported Hardware at the right bottom corner. Still have to familiarize myself with ubuntu but so far, so good so cheers for everyone's help but I guess Dual-Boot is the way to go and why do it manually when wubi does it for ye?!?

PVTCaboose1337

Graphical Hacker
System Name Whim
Processor Intel Core i5 2500k @ 4.4ghz
Cooling Cooler Master Hyper 212+
Memory 2 x 4GB G.Skill Ripjaws @ 1600mhz
Video Card(s) Gigabyte GTX 670 2gb
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256gb, WD 2TB Black
Display(s) Shimian QH270 (1440p), Asus VE228 (1080p)
Case Cooler Master 430 Elite
Audio Device(s) Onboard > PA2V2 Amp > Senn 595's
Power Supply Corsair 750w
Software Windows 8.1 (Tweaked)
Damn, I installed the thingy called Wubi and right now I'm sitting on Ubuntu :D
Looks like my VGA isn't supported though as there's a big logo saying AMD Unsupported Hardware at the right bottom corner. Still have to familiarize myself with ubuntu but so far, so good so cheers for everyone's help but I guess Dual-Boot is the way to go and why do it manually when wubi does it for ye?!?

Wubi is bad. Use GRUB. Also solaris might be able to help you alot more than I, but I dual boot to ubuntu on my main rig. Let Ubuntu install GRUB for you.

EDIT: I have some time so here is the skinny on the dual boot, Caboose's instructions:

1. Defrag Windows
2. Pop in Ubuntu Disk
3. Run from the ram
4. Open the included Gparted tool in Ubuntu. Make partition for Ubuntu. You can always add more later. Make a 20gb swap area that is FAT32 format.
5. Install Ubuntu on your new partition. During install go get snacks.
6. When it prompts you to install a bootloader, choose GRUB, not the other choices.
7. Reboot, choose operating system to boot to
8. ???
9. Profit

BTW I have no idea what wubi is. Also, learn some terminal commands. Just make new folders, delete them, change directory, mount disks, make files, compile shit, and the tough part for you, learning to download and install files with apt-get.

Last edited:
System Name FumoffuFumoffu
Processor Intel i7 4770K
Motherboard Gigabyte Z87X -UD3H
Cooling Corsair H100i
Memory 16GB DDR3 1600 Crucial Ballistix
Video Card(s) Sapphire AMD Radeon HD 7970 OC
Storage 1- WD 500GB 1- Samsung F2 1.5TB 1- Crucial M4 128GB SSD 1-256GB ADATA XPG SX900 ASX900S3 SSD
Display(s) Hanns-G HZ281HPB 27.5'' 3ms Full HD 1920x1200 WideScreen LCD Monitor
Case Corsair Graphite Series 600T
Audio Device(s) Creative Soundblaster X-Fi Titanium
Power Supply Corsair HX 750W Gold
Software Windows 7 Pro x64
Wubi is bad. Use GRUB. Also solaris might be able to help you alot more than I, but I dual boot to ubuntu on my main rig. Let Ubuntu install GRUB for you.

EDIT: I have some time so here is the skinny on the dual boot, Caboose's instructions:

1. Defrag Windows
2. Pop in Ubuntu Disk
3. Run from the ram
4. Open the included Gparted tool in Ubuntu. Make partition for Ubuntu. You can always add more later. Make a 20gb swap area that is FAT32 format.
5. Install Ubuntu on your new partition. During install go get snacks.
6. When it prompts you to install a bootloader, choose GRUB, not the other choices.
7. Reboot, choose operating system to boot to
8. ???
9. Profit

BTW I have no idea what wubi is. Also, learn some terminal commands. Just make new folders, delete them, change directory, mount disks, make files, compile shit, and the tough part for you, learning to download and install files with apt-get.

Here is the easy method:

1. defrag Windows
2. reboot with Ubuntu 10.04 disk in
3. click install ubuntu
4. move slider left or right to select amount of space to give ubuntu. (the circle next to w install side by side should be filled)
5. click next
6. agree to question then fill in user info etc.
7. Sit back and wait for install to finish
8. Reboot
9. Done

With this method, ubuntu will repartition and setup your computer to dual-boot with Windows. GRUB will be auto-installed as well.