• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Looking for new MMO

rescawen

I am playing SC2 and I'm trying to ease the stress.

I am willing to pay for the monthly subscription, but I have already tried a number of MMOs.

WOW (cant stand GFX), aion (best so far, but lving is so annoying), and AOC which i get lost so easily.

My 1st mmo was WAR and I may try out LOTRO. I am willing revisit WAR if the community is active and I'd like to know the pops of both games and which gameplay is better.

Processor Core i5 3570K
Motherboard AsRock z77 Pro4
Cooling Zalman CNPS10X Extreme
Memory 2x4GB GSkill Sniper
Video Card(s) MSI GTX970 Gaming
Storage 240GB OCZ ARC 100, Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB
Display(s) LG 23" 1920x1080
Case Antec P100
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Antec Edge 750W
Software Windows 8.1 Pro 64
System Name Aluminum Mallard
Processor Ryzen 1900x
Motherboard AsRock Phantom 6
Cooling AIO
Memory 32GB
Video Card(s) EVGA 3080Ti FTW
Storage SSD
Display(s) Benq Zowie
Case Cosmos 1000
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply Corsair CX750
VR HMD HTV Vive, Valve Index
Software Arch Linux
Benchmark Scores 31 FPS in Dalaran
DDO doesn't play like Conan. Its mechanics are based on D&D 3.5 Edition rules. The layout is similar to WoW. It's also free to play. You got nothing to lose if you try it out.

epicfail

System Name GavinComp/// Laptop
Processor Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 3,16//I7 920m
Motherboard ASUS P5Q PRO P45//
Cooling stock// looks like a bad ass f117
Memory 2x2gb gskill DDR2-1066// 8gb ddr3
Video Card(s) Palit 4870x2 2gb//5870m
Storage 500gb Hitachi Deskstar//2x 500gb harddrive
Display(s) 22 inch Samsung Vsyng t220/ 17.3
Case antec 900
Audio Device(s) x-fi titanium pro
Power Supply 750w PC power and cooling
Software Windows 7 ultimate x64
I am playing SC2 and I'm trying to ease the stress.

I am willing to pay for the monthly subscription, but I have already tried a number of MMOs.

WOW (cant stand GFX), aion (best so far, but lving is so annoying), and AOC which i get lost so easily.

My 1st mmo was WAR and I may try out LOTRO. I am willing revisit WAR if the community is active and I'd like to know the pops of both games and which gameplay is better.

DDO is not bad, i played it for a bit but the person i started playing with quit so i just stopped playing,

WoW i dont mind the gfx but i got bored of it, Because Burning Crusade And Lich Were just not the same as Vanilla.

Aion i completly agree, pvp was great fun and so was siege wars, but they screwed up leveling badly IMO, quests after 35 were useless and it was better grinding since you got like 10x the xp as doing the quests would give you.

but Grinding 8 hours per level after 38 just isnt my type of thing.

WAR last time i checked was still dead, but it is still one of my favorites,
Ive been trying to get back into Guild Wars,since its on sale on steam for 20 bucks for nightfall factions prophecies and the weapon pack. i use to play a long time ago addictivily and had UW armor on 2 or 3 characters not sure which it was a long time ago, but my account got hacked, o well.
Ive had the same itch as you trying to find a MMO to remove it,

System Name Boomer Master Race
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7735HS APU
Motherboard BareBones Mini PC MB
Cooling Mini PC Cooling
Memory Crucial 32GB 4800MHz
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 680M 8GB IGPU
Storage Crucial 500GB M.2 SSD + 2TB Ext HDD
Display(s) Sony 4K Bravia X85J 43Inch TV 120Hz
Case Beelink Mini PC Chassis
Audio Device(s) Built In Realtek Digital Audio HD
Power Supply 120w Power Brick
Mouse Logitech G203 Lightsync
Keyboard Atrix RGB Slim Keyboard
VR HMD ( ◔ ʖ̯ ◔ )
Software Windows 10 Home 64bit
Benchmark Scores Don't do them anymore.
Wait for FFXIV:D

crazyeyesreaper

Not a Moderator
Staff member
System Name Old reliable
Processor Intel 8700K @ 4.8 GHz
Motherboard MSI Z370 Gaming Pro Carbon AC
Cooling Custom Water
Memory 32 GB Crucial Ballistix 3666 MHz
Video Card(s) MSI GTX 1080 Ti Gaming X
Storage 3x SSDs 2x HDDs
Display(s) Dell U2412M + Samsung TA350
Case Thermaltake Core P3 TG
Audio Device(s) Samson Meteor Mic / Generic 2.1 / KRK KNS 6400 headset
Power Supply Zalman EBT-1000
Mouse Mionix NAOS 7000
Keyboard Mionix
im waiting on Kingdom heroes by aeria games :toast: CBT starts soon before the F2P cash shop ruins it ill have my fun

epicfail

Case antec 900
im waiting on Kingdom heroes by aeria games :toast: CBT starts soon before the F2P cash shop ruins it ill have my fun

aeria games isnt that bad for cash shop.

ijji is the worse imo. i played A.V.A competively with them before, and gcoin buyers can get stuff that others cant even have a chance in getting. they also screwed S.U.N completly it was a decent game and all good fun in pvp, but they destroyed it with you being able to buy the best game in the armor in the armor shop and not being able to buy it otherwise ill have to check kingdom out later.

Kreij

Senior Monkey Moderator
Well, MMOs are usually pretty competetive so another may not be optimal for reducing stress.
How about a break from MMO and play something like World of Goo to relax?

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF Gaming X570-Pro Wifi II
Cooling Hyper 212 EVO v2
Memory 2x16GB G.Skill DDR4-4000
Video Card(s) AMD RX 6750 XT
Storage WD Black SN850 2TB, various other SSD's from ages past
Display(s) LG 27GL850 1440@144, AG Neovo EM2701QC 1440@75
Case Zophos EVO Silent by Raijintek
Audio Device(s) HyperX Cloud II Wireless headphones
Power Supply Corsair RM850x
Mouse ProtoArc EM01
Keyboard Razer Blackwidow X Chroma Mercury
Software Windows 11 Pro
WAR is alive and well. Big changes to the city siege coming in the next patch too, lots of excitement there. Their blogging community recently had a couple of them go to Mythic HQ and do a whole bunch of free-for-all Q&A'ing about it. linkage

Also, for an entirely different flavor of MMO you could always try out EVE online. :D

System Name [Daily Driver]
Processor [Ryzen 7 5800X3D]
Motherboard [Asus TUF GAMING X570-PLUS]
Cooling [be quiet! Dark Rock Slim]
Memory [64GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3600MHz (16GBx4)]
Video Card(s) [PNY RTX 3070Ti XLR8]
Storage [1TB SN850 NVMe, 4TB 990 Pro NVMe, 2TB 870 EVO SSD, 2TB SA510 SSD]
Display(s) [2x 27" HP X27q at 1440p]
Case [Fractal Meshify-C]
Audio Device(s) [Steelseries Arctis Pro]
Power Supply [CORSAIR RMx 1000]
Mouse [Logitech G Pro Wireless]
Keyboard [Logitech G512 Carbon (GX-Brown)]
Software [Windows 11 64-Bit]
I'm in the same boat, im trying to AOC trial right now, and if this doesnt work ill b trying to WAR trial again.

the wow expansions ruined the game, and EvE jus makes me angry

Binge

Overclocking Surrealism
System Name Molly
Processor i5 3570K
Motherboard Z77 ASRock
Cooling CooliT Eco
Memory 2x4GB Mushkin Redline Ridgebacks
Video Card(s) Gigabyte GTX 680
Case Coolermaster CM690 II Advanced
Power Supply Corsair HX-1000
MMO is a dying format because of the following,

1) Blizzard did so well that no other dev/pub is willing to experiment with the game-type. It's a non-evolving format.
2) The online community sucks. People are jerks.
3) Not enough players with gaming skills. (Micro management and general control)
4) Unrewarding and expensive.

Kreij

Senior Monkey Moderator
I don't think that MMOs are dying at all. The social aspect of the internet is huge comapred to the players who want SP.
Things are just in a state of flux as companies adjust to their player base.

1Kurgan1

The Knife in your Back
System Name My Comp | Fiancees Comp
Processor i7 5820k @ 4.6Ghz 1.285v| i5 2500k
Motherboard MSI x99 SLI Plus | AsRock Z77 Pro 3
Cooling Watercooled
Memory 16GB DDR4 2400 @ 2666 | 12GB DDR3 1600
Video Card(s) AMD R9 290x | MSI 5850 OC
Storage 128gb SSD + 2x 2TB | 2TB
Display(s) Asus 27" LCD | 25" Hanns G
Case CM Storm | CM Elite 430
Audio Device(s) Creative Recon 3D PCIe
Power Supply Enermax Galaxy 1250W | Rosewill 630w
Mouse Logitech G700s | Logitech G100s
Keyboard Logitech G901 | Logitech G105
Software Win 8.1 Ultimate x64 | Win 8.1 Ultimate x64
Benchmark Scores 3D Mark - Fire Strike Extreme - 4403
I don't think they are dieing either, but I do agree with some of that. Blizz did do amazingly well, and now that Bobby runs the show expect nothing to change until their revenue changes. The online community can suck, it's a double bladed thing, you find a group you like and stick with them. Gaming skills I completely agree with, I know some people play casually, but when a game is team work based and some people don't believe in the work part of team work, it makes the game not enjoyable for others. But I don't agree with expensive, if you play it enough you most likely won't go buy every game that looks half tempting out there. In the time I played WoW I bought maybe 2 - 3 games a year, in the year I haven't played WoW I have bought like 3 - 4 games a month at $50 - $60 a crack, quite a bit of pain on the wallet.

epicfail

Case antec 900

1) Blizzard did so well that no other dev/pub is willing to experiment with the game-type. It's a non-evolving format.Semi True there are still a decent ammount of games coming out but WoW is a monster so i dont blame them for trying to wait out till it dies. There are still lots of free mmos that are coming out though and some are really good its just that the cash shops kill the funness and pvp of the game.

2) The online community sucks. People are jerks.There will always be these people, in everything theres some in RL and some in online communities, i sadly was one of those people in css, me and a friend of mine went into random servers in CSS and destroyed everyone, and kept saying its all about the KDR(Kill death ratio) until we got banned eventually for hacking. But there is alot of good people in online gaming

3) Not enough players with gaming skills. (Micro management and general control)

4) Unrewarding and expensive.if you think about it is actually cheaper, if you look at kurgans post im the same, and in MMO you actually get something to show for you hard work, for example in Guild Wars i could show that i worked hard had 6 levels 20 3 with fill UnderWorld Armor(Best Armor in Prophecies and in the game) and could show it off, CSS sure i can go into servers kill everything and have a 3kd in hlstats but i dont like that i cant really gain levels.

chararacter minimum ftw

System Name penguin
Processor R7 5700G
Motherboard Asrock B450M Pro4
Cooling Some CM tower cooler that will fit my case
Memory 4 x 8GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz
Video Card(s) IGP
Storage ADATA SU800 512GB
Display(s) 27' LG
Case Zalman
Audio Device(s) stock
Power Supply Seasonic SS-620GM
Software win10

1) Blizzard did so well that no other dev/pub is willing to experiment with the game-type. It's a non-evolving format.

Farmville is the latest mmo model, not wow! :D It lacks all of the above defects.

Don't even bother with Eve Online if you're not ready to commit 100%. It's just too time consuming.

System Name Betty The Dirty Dragon
Processor AMD 8350 @4.8
Motherboard ASUS sabertooth rev 2
Cooling Watercooling - Swiftech GTZ - XSPC RS360 - XSPC RX120
Memory 8GB corsair vengeance cas 9
Video Card(s) 280x 1100core 1600 mem
Storage 240 gb ssd- 2 tb Storage
Display(s) Samsung 24" 2433BW
Case Corsair 650d
Audio Device(s) Xfi Fatality Titanium Pro
Power Supply XFX 850 fully modular
Software Windows 7 Ultimate x64
im playing Aion now and its a great game, you need to replace the word challenging (leveling) with challenging and hard, but can be rewarding.

Depends what you want out of an MMO tho tbh, end game raiding or pvp or something else.

btw DDO is god dam awful and an example why paying a monthly fee is worth it.

System Name [Daily Driver]
Processor [Ryzen 7 5800X3D]
Motherboard [Asus TUF GAMING X570-PLUS]
Cooling [be quiet! Dark Rock Slim]
Memory [64GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3600MHz (16GBx4)]
Video Card(s) [PNY RTX 3070Ti XLR8]
Storage [1TB SN850 NVMe, 4TB 990 Pro NVMe, 2TB 870 EVO SSD, 2TB SA510 SSD]
Display(s) [2x 27" HP X27q at 1440p]
Case [Fractal Meshify-C]
Audio Device(s) [Steelseries Arctis Pro]
Power Supply [CORSAIR RMx 1000]
Mouse [Logitech G Pro Wireless]
Keyboard [Logitech G512 Carbon (GX-Brown)]
Software [Windows 11 64-Bit]
I've played WoW, EVE, DDO, War, Runescape, Planetside, and a few other i cant remember

The only one of those I could see myself playing again and enjoying is planetside.. but the games community has shrunk so much I dont even know if its worth resubbing

Binge

Overclocking Surrealism
System Name Molly
Processor i5 3570K
Motherboard Z77 ASRock
Cooling CooliT Eco
chararacter minimum ftw

Sorry. I can't agree with anything you've said. WoW isn't a giant other companies need to wait to die. If you know Blizzard they will NOT let that game die. They will continue to update the engine. As far as the MMO community is concerned it sucks. How many people who play MMOs as much as it takes to be successful would you invite out to a bar for a drink? If that doesn't make sense then you fall into the other category of problems with MMOs... Kids with social disorders. Let's talk about time vs money here...

Let's say you buy an MMO and said MMO goes for 29.99-39.99. We'll just say the initial fee is $35, and then you may or may not get a free trial. Say you pay per month. $15? Sound right? If it's per month then you are paying $180 a year, or the cost of 3 brand new games. In the first year you spend $215, to reduce the cost you may pay an up-front cost to bring the game down to $10-12 a month. Whoopteeeeedo. Still we've got 3 games that may or may not have replay value. Recently I've bought Demon's Souls for $45. I play Demon's souls for roughly 230 hours over the course of 2 months. There are 730 hours in a month. This and a few other games I've bought nets me a total cost of $70. In two months the MMO player who "only plays MMOs" already spent $65-$135(yearly sub). Alright so I have bought 9 games with that money. Each game has on average 60-120 hours of gameplay + replay value. Let's go for 60 hours making the time I play these 9 games an estimated 540 hours. I've already said I have 230 hours logged in demon's souls so removing 60 from 540 and then adding 230 is 710 hours. That's almost all of the hours in a month, and it's taken me 230 hours of gaming over 2 months to play just one game. 710/115 = 6 months. Hell I hold a job, spend a lot of time online, and I have a girlfriend. In these past two months I've spent $70 on games which should last me 6 months by my schedule. With an MMO I'd probably have paid either $125 or $135 after six months depending if I could do a yearly sub or pay monthly. I'm playing with hours some people may consider casual, but I am by no means a casual gamer. I've played in several gaming clans, and the only ones I've had to leave are MMO clans because of the cost of play, and that these clans like to do multiple MMOs. Multiple subs = fail. The average time in wow to get lvl 80 is a bit longer than I've been playing in Demon's Souls, and that is if you have even a little talent. Making more and more toons/PVPing/gear grinding/questing is about the only way to spend time in these games. I've bought a bunch of games that are a mix of Action Adventure/FPS/RPG/RTS/TBS/Puzzle, and I've spent $55-65 less than an MMOer who only plays MMOs for 6 months.

Demon's Souls has been more rewarding than any MMO I've ever played in a fraction of the time. I feel like just getting through the first world entirely was a serious accomplishment. It wasn't even rewarded with equipment, and my character still died pretty easily. It was rewarding in pure enjoyment/fun/non-boredom. Tell me honestly that MMOs aren't boring at times. :roll:

Last edited:
System Name Suck it
Processor i7 860 @ 3.5GHz
Motherboard eVGA p55 FTW
Cooling Noctua NH-U12P SE 2
Memory 4gb Corsair Dominator @ 1600
Video Card(s) X2 Supercharged 570's
Storage 1 80gb Intel SSD/2 128gb Mushkin IO SSDs raid 0/1 500gb WD Caviar Black/2tb WD Caviar Black
Display(s) ASUS MT276HE 27"
Case Coolermaster HAF 932
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Ultra X4 1050W
Software Windows 7 Ultimate (x64)

I don’t agree with anything you said.

1) All blizzard did was set a standard. It’s not a very good one because WoW is a terrible MMO by my standards.

2) People online suck in general. Everyone’s a tough guy when equipped with a keyboard and no where near whoever they talk shit to. That’s the same for ALL forms of online gaming.

3) There are so many players with skills and so many who are bad at gaming period. That’s the same for nearly all online/gaming genera’s.

4) If people are willing to pay a monthly fee (coincides with the expensive and rewarding factor and I am willing if the game is good) there are typically more things to accomplish in MMOs and they span rewards evenly across levels. For me end game is always PvP. I am a really hardcore PvPer. If the pvp is good…and if there’s a lot of choices and good build posibilites to PvP well with…my time is consumed and I spend more than 3 months on a game. No FPS/RTS could ever really keep my 25-30 hour a week attention consistently for a year. 3 MMOs have done that.

Anyway

NCs grinding system is lame. I decided to pass on Aion when it was released (after playing beta). That and I am absolutely tired of fantasy (sword shield magic) MMOs.

Star Wars: The Old Republic is THE MMO I'm waiting for but I have a year to wait for that.

I thought APB was going to be my next MMO...but the beta was so bad and now that it has a release date...I know very little has changed.

Jumpgate Evolution is probably what I will pick up in September and I will play that till SW:TOR.

System Name penguin
Processor R7 5700G
Motherboard Asrock B450M Pro4
Cooling Some CM tower cooler that will fit my case
Memory 4 x 8GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz
Video Card(s) IGP
Storage ADATA SU800 512GB
Display(s) 27' LG
Case Zalman
Audio Device(s) stock
Power Supply Seasonic SS-620GM
Software win10
So Farmville is out of the question period? Aw shucks ad I was just about to invite you to my farm!

Binge

Overclocking Surrealism
System Name Molly
Processor i5 3570K
Motherboard Z77 ASRock
Cooling CooliT Eco
1) All blizzard did was set a standard. It’s not a very good one because WoW is a terrible MMO by my standards.

So blizzard set a standard, and it's not very good by the standard? Give me a break, and stop contradicting yourself. You even admitted later in the post that people on the net often are delusional when stuck behind a keyboard.

epicfail

Case antec 900
Sorry. I can't agree with anything you've said. WoW isn't a giant other companies need to wait to die. If you know Blizzard they will NOT let that game die. They will continue to update the engine. As far as the MMO community is concerned it sucks. How many people who play MMOs as much as it takes to be successful would you invite out to a bar for a drink? If that doesn't make sense then you fall into the other category of problems with MMOs... Kids with social disorders. Let's talk about time vs money here...

Let's say you buy an MMO and said MMO goes for 29.99-39.99. We'll just say the initial fee is $35, and then you may or may not get a free trial. Say you pay per month. $15? Sound right? If it's per month then you are paying $180 a year, or the cost of 3 brand new games. In the first year you spend $215, to reduce the cost you may pay an up-front cost to bring the game down to $10-12 a month. Whoopteeeeedo. Still we've got 3 games that may or may not have replay value. Recently I've bought Demon's Souls for $45. I play Demon's souls for roughly 230 hours over the course of 2 months. There are 730 hours in a month. This and a few other games I've bought nets me a total cost of $70. In two months the MMO player who "only plays MMOs" already spent $65-$135(yearly sub). Alright so I have bought 9 games with that money. Each game has on average 60-120 hours of gameplay + replay value. Let's go for 60 hours making the time I play these 9 games an estimated 540 hours. I've already said I have 230 hours logged in demon's souls so removing 60 from 540 and then adding 230 is 710 hours. That's almost all of the hours in a month, and it's taken me 230 hours of gaming over 2 months to play just one game. 710/115 = 6 months. Hell I hold a job, spend a lot of time online, and I have a girlfriend. In these past two months I've spent $70 on games which should last me 6 months by my schedule. With an MMO I'd probably have paid either $125 or $135 after six months depending if I could do a yearly sub or pay monthly. I'm playing with hours some people may consider casual, but I am by no means a casual gamer. I've played in several gaming clans, and the only ones I've had to leave are MMO clans because of the cost of play, and that these clans like to do multiple MMOs. Multiple subs = fail. The average time in wow to get lvl 80 is a bit longer than I've been playing in Demon's Souls, and that is if you have even a little talent. Making more and more toons/PVPing/gear grinding/questing is about the only way to spend time in these games. I've bought a bunch of games that are a mix of Action Adventure/FPS/RPG/RTS/TBS/Puzzle, and I've spent $55-65 less than an MMOer who only plays MMOs for 6 months.

Demon's Souls has been more rewarding than any MMO I've ever played in a fraction of the time. I feel like just getting through the first world entirely was a serious accomplishment. It wasn't even rewarded with equipment, and my character still died pretty easily. It was rewarding in pure enjoyment/fun/non-boredom. Tell me honestly that MMOs aren't boring at times. :roll:

k ill give you that, for most people that dont play video games lots MMO subs are completly not worth it. but considering that on average most games SP now a days have like 30-40 hours of gametime for 50-60 bucks. or lets say bc2, which took me about 2(of decent playing) weeks to unlock everything and another week to just play and bullshit with people, for 60 bucks, because there is no new objectives to do, other than contiously play in pubs and sometimes scrim compared to 15 for wow(for example) which always has new objectives, new armor, and always people to pvp against, or raids to do.

so for me MMOs in my opinion have more for me to do, sure i can do what ive been doing and playing only counterstrike and scrimming a shit load and pubbing it up.
or i can play a MMO and have a objective to go for.

112-160 hours a month for 15 bucks doesnt seem lots.
i no for a fact some games have proven me wrong but alot of games arent like that, as ive posted on some other topics, FPS are my main thing to play, with MMOs on the side.
but i do sometimes have to fix my MMO itch.
ive playd 1500(easily) hours on CSS(40$) and 2500 hours on Tribes Vengeance(50$)
sure they have paid there worth but lots of games dont,
TF2 for example didnt suit my playing style and payed for it but never played it,

System Name The Darkside
Processor Ryzen 5 3600
Motherboard ASRock B550 Extreme4
Cooling OEM
Memory 16gb G.Skill Fortis
Video Card(s) MSI Seahawk 1070
Storage 500gb Mushkin Pilot NVMe
Display(s) 55" Samsung 4k UHD
Case Corsair iCue 465X RGB
Audio Device(s) Onboard Reltek
Power Supply Corsair AX860i
Software Windows 10
Well EVE is a kinda game that u HAVE to get into to stay alive in it. Sure it has a huge learning curve but get into a good corporation and you will have a head start on the way to become a good player in EVE. They will help you, they will guide you and if your in need of some ISK, they will help you either by giving you some out of their pocket or do some high level missions with you to gain some. EVE is what YOU make it to be. You can be a killer, miner, trader, researcher, Player Owned Station manager or a manufacturing boss. The whole key to EVE is a good corporation. Teamwork does payoff, trust me. ;)

Oh and you dont necessarily HAVE to spend money on EVE, save enough ingame currency and buy a 30 day Pilots License Extension and save $15 a month.