• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

INVERTED by ToB1

ToB1

Sponsored by:

ZyXEL sponsor with a GS-108B

Dremel sponsor with a Dremel 4000

Lamptron sponsor with power and reset switches, and a few other useful things.

Phenoptix sponsor with red 3mm LEDs!

Komplett.no sponsor with Corsair H50, Silverstone SST-SOD01, Arctic Silver ArtiClean, Arctic Silver Alumina and Fractal Design EFS Fan Accessory!

Thank you very much for sponsoring my project! :D

I started up this project a few months ago, but there is still a lot left to do, so I thought i would be appropriate to start a worklog hare at this forum too.

The main goal of this project is to create a computer case out of MDF, and later use it as a server or guest computer.

Here's the first draft of the unfinished 3D-modell.

The grey box under the motherboard tray is a gigabit switch that will be usefull at LAN-partiese etc.

And here are some pictures that shows the work I did earlier:
The vertical separator was a bit too large, så I had to resize it to make it fit inside the frame.

And then I had to drill a few holes for the screws...

I've milled the outer edges of the case, and sanded a bit.

There are a few screws located at the rear end of the case, so I'm not going to mill that part of the case yet...

What do you think about the result so far?

List of things left to do
- [X] Make feet out of MDF, or purchase aluminum feet
- [X] Attach the vertical separator
- [X] Make or buy a mount for harddrives
- [X] Purchase fans
- [X] Purchase power/reset-button
- [X] Drill holes for the fans
- [X] Drill holes for cable management
- [X] Paint the case and the motherboard tray
- [X] Milling the edges of the case

Hope you like the project!

- ToB1

Last edited:
Processor AMD Phenom II 555BE unlocked X4 @3.8GHz
Motherboard GA-78LMT-S2P
Cooling Thermaltake Blue Orb + open case in cold room = low temps lol
Memory 8Gb DDR3 1600
Video Card(s) GTX580
Storage 64GB SSD Super Talent
Display(s) 22" Chimei, 17" Philips
Case POS!
Power Supply Cooler Master Silent Pro Gold 800W
I think it looks great so far, you don't see many cases with a built in network switch, that is a nice touch.

Perhaps you should consider rewiring the power feed to the switch so it doesn't need it's own external supply?

You say you're going to drill holes for cable management? Do you have a cavity on the back side of the case to run the cables through? It's not clear from the pics.

System Name not sure yet
Processor R9 3950X
Motherboard Asrock X570 Taichi
Cooling It's a secret for now..
Memory 64GB Vengeance
Video Card(s) 2080Ti FE
Storage 2x 1TB NVME, 3x 500GB SSD, 2TB SSHD
Display(s) Predator 27" 4k 144hz, 55" Vizio 4k
Case Lian Li O11-D White
Audio Device(s) Steel Series Wireless
Power Supply EVGA 1200W
Mouse Glorious D-
Keyboard GMMK 60% Red Box Caps
Software Windows 8.1 Profession x64

ToB1

I think it looks great so far, you don't see many cases with a built in network switch, that is a nice touch.

Perhaps you should consider rewiring the power feed to the switch so it doesn't need it's own external supply?

You say you're going to drill holes for cable management? Do you have a cavity on the back side of the case to run the cables through? It's not clear from the pics.

Thanks! :)

Yes, I'm planning to use a switch to switch between power from the external power supply, and the internal power supply. The reason why I'll do this is to be able to power the switch even if my computer is turned off. If I for example participate at a LAN-party and turn off my computer, people gets disconnected because they are connected through my switch...

There is a vertical separator 3 cm from the inside of the right sidepanel, and I'll drill holes through that separator to run the cables behind that "wall" to hide them.

- ToB1

System Name Dell XPS 15 9560
Processor I7-7700HQ
Memory 32GB DDR4
Video Card(s) GTX 1050/1080 Ti
Storage 1TB SSD
Display(s) 2x Dell P2715Q/4k Internal
Case Razer Core
Audio Device(s) Creative E5/Objective 2 Amp/Senn HD650
Mouse Logitech Proteus Core
Keyboard Logitech G910
How are you planning on mounting the drives, and where did you ninja that mobo tray?

I made a wooden case a few years ago (Ugh make that 5, WOW!), but I used solid red oak, because I strongly dislike the look of MDF. It looked beautiful when it was finished, but wood gives a lot of problems with mounting, unless you use a motherboard tray and such.

For the sides I also made a little dado to recess the connecting edges, and then glued it using finishing nails that were then covered up and invisible after staining/poly.

Also, how are you handling ventilation? It appears there's only the one fan in the back. Wood will sustain the heat extremely well.

ToB1

How are you planning on mounting the drives, and where did you ninja that mobo tray?

I made a wooden case a few years ago (Ugh make that 5, WOW!), but I used solid red oak, because I strongly dislike the look of MDF. It looked beautiful when it was finished, but wood gives a lot of problems with mounting, unless you use a motherboard tray and such.

For the sides I also made a little dado to recess the connecting edges, and then glued it using finishing nails that were then covered up and invisible after staining/poly.

Also, how are you handling ventilation? It appears there's only the one fan in the back. Wood will sustain the heat extremely well.

I think I'll make some kind of internal hotswap or something. Here's a quick sketch I did...

I think I'll place it at the lower front of the case, but I'm not 100% sure yet...

What do you mean by "ninja" the mobo tray?

I'm not quite sure where I'll put the fans, cause I'm not sure if I'll water cool the system or not. But I think there will be three 120mm fans at the top of the case, and maybe two 120mm on each side of the HDD-cage. But if you got some ideas, feel free to yell it out! :)

By the way, I'm planning to paint the case, and I'm looking for som sort of theme for the painting and all. I've allready made a draft as you can see in the intro of this worklog, but I'm not sure about it :ohwell:

System Name Dell XPS 15 9560
Processor I7-7700HQ
Memory 32GB DDR4
Video Card(s) GTX 1050/1080 Ti
Storage 1TB SSD
Display(s) 2x Dell P2715Q/4k Internal
Case Razer Core
Audio Device(s) Creative E5/Objective 2 Amp/Senn HD650
Mouse Logitech Proteus Core
Keyboard Logitech G910
What do you mean by "ninja" the mobo tray?

I'm not quite sure where I'll put the fans, cause I'm not sure if I'll water cool the system or not. But I think there will be three 120mm fans at the top of the case, and maybe two 120mm on each side of the HDD-cage. But if you got some ideas, feel free to yell it out! :)

By the way, I'm planning to paint the case, and I'm looking for som sort of theme for the painting and all. I've allready made a draft as you can see in the intro of this worklog, but I'm not sure about it :ohwell:

Wondering where you obtained it :roll: Bought a case with one or what?

If you're gonna air cool, I put a 120mm fan right above the CPU, and a rear exhaust. It worked well. 120mm at the top, too. Water cooling, is another ball game tho. just need overall ventilation.

The major downside to paint IMO, is its easy to scratch/mess up, since MDF is soft. (This is the reason i used solid red oak, the thing was a TANK.). Stain/Poly gives the wood a nice finish, and is strong enough/wont scratch and ruin the whole effect.

ToB1

Wondering where you obtained it :roll: Bought a case with one or what?

If you're gonna air cool, I put a 120mm fan right above the CPU, and a rear exhaust. It worked well. 120mm at the top, too. Water cooling, is another ball game tho. just need overall ventilation.

The major downside to paint IMO, is its easy to scratch/mess up, since MDF is soft. (This is the reason i used solid red oak, the thing was a TANK.). Stain/Poly gives the wood a nice finish, and is strong enough/wont scratch and ruin the whole effect.

It's a Lian Li motherboard tray I bought from a Norwegian Lian Li importer ;)

Unfortunately there's not enough room for a 120mm fan at the rear end of the case, so I may have to use the 80mm that came with the motherboard tray.

Processor AMD Phenom II 555BE unlocked X4 @3.8GHz
Motherboard GA-78LMT-S2P
Cooling Thermaltake Blue Orb + open case in cold room = low temps lol
Memory 8Gb DDR3 1600
Video Card(s) GTX580
Storage 64GB SSD Super Talent
Display(s) 22" Chimei, 17" Philips
Case POS!
Power Supply Cooler Master Silent Pro Gold 800W
Yes, I'm planning to use a switch to switch between power from the external power supply, and the internal power supply.

I'm curious to see how that will work. I think it would be nice to not have an external power supply at all, perhaps you can mount the power brick inside the case? But you would still need to plug it into the mains, which would probably mean tapping into the mains voltage from inside your PSU which is not really advisable. Anyway, I'm just throwing ideas out there.

ToB1

I'm curious to see how that will work. I think it would be nice to not have an external power supply at all, perhaps you can mount the power brick inside the case? But you would still need to plug it into the mains, which would probably mean tapping into the mains voltage from inside your PSU which is not really advisable. Anyway, I'm just throwing ideas out there.

That would be great, but I got Enermax Revolution 85+ 1250W, so I'm not going to take the risk of voiding the warranty just to get rid of the external power supply...

ToB1

I just cut out the upper MDF parts for the feet, but since I don't have any hole saw, I had to use a multipurpose cutting kit (656) for my Dremel...

As you see there are a lot left to sand/polish, but I'll fix that soon ;)

Last edited:

ToB1

New sponsor: Lamptron

Lamptron have agreed to sponsor the project with power and reset switches, and a few other useful things for the project.

Thank you very much for your contribution! :D

Last edited:

ToB1

I started cutting of a 15 cm long piece of the 1 m long screw, and then mounted the feet using two smal pieces of plywood and two nuts.

And as you see, the result turned out pretty well :)

ToB1

The package from Phenoptix has arrived!

Phenoptix is sponsoring with 32 red 3mm LEDs that will be used to light up the feet and the back of the motherboard.

Thank you very much for your contribution! :D

ToB1

Because the old feet came out a bit smal, i decided to make a set of new ones.

This update wont be that interesting since you've seen this part before.

This time I used a 57mm hole saw, which means that the diameter of the feet got about 1cm longer than last time.

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Processor Intel Core i7 10850K@5.2GHz
Motherboard AsRock Z470 Taichi
Cooling Corsair H115i Pro w/ Noctua NF-A14 Fans
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Video Card(s) RTX 2070 Super
Storage 500GB SX8200 Pro + 8TB with 1TB SSD Cache
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG280K 4K 28"
Case Fractal Design Define S
Audio Device(s) Onboard is good enough for me
Power Supply eVGA SuperNOVA 1000w G3
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
Holy shit, if it wasn't bad ass enough looking(and it does look like it will be totally bad ass), it also has a network switch built right into the case! That is fucking genius! Best idea for a custom lan case ever!

ToB1

Holy shit, if it wasn't bad ass enough looking(and it does look like it will be totally bad ass), it also has a network switch built right into the case! That is fucking genius! Best idea for a custom lan case ever!

Thank you very much! :)

Completely Bonkers

Processor Mysterious Engineering Prototype
Motherboard Intel 865
Cooling Custom block made in workshop
Memory Corsair XMS 2GB
Video Card(s) FireGL X3-256
Display(s) 1600x1200 SyncMaster x 2 = 3200x1200
Software Windows 2003
Nice 1 ToB1. However, why did you choose to work in "soft" MDF/fibreboard and not aluminium or steel? MDF is a great insulator, terrible heat conductor. Alu or steel would be much better.

ToB1

Nice 1 ToB1. However, why did you choose to work in "soft" MDF/fibreboard and not aluminium or steel? MDF is a great insulator, terrible heat conductor. Alu or steel would be much better.
Unfortunately I do not have that much experience on working with aluminium or steel, but I've made "a few" things in wood during the years, and thought MDF would be fun to try out.

I would probably made it out of metal if I had the abilities needed, but at this point I do not :ohwell: