• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

ASUS Shows Off ROG Rampage III Gene Motherboard

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
ASUS showed off its latest high-end motherboard, and latest entry into its premium Republic of Gamers line, the Rampage III Gene. The "Gene" identifier tells that the board is of the micro-ATX form-factor, while Rampage III is the latest series of socket LGA1366 motherboards based on the Intel X58 Express chipset. Compared to the Rampage II, Rampage III embraces latest technologies as well as ASUS innovations, this includes support for USB 3.0, SATA 6 Gb/s, and ASUS ROG Connect, to name a few. The CPU is powered by an 8-phase PWM circuit, 2-phase for the six DDR3 DIMM slots for triple-channel memory support.

Expansion slots include two full-bandwidth PCI-Express 2.0 x16, an open-ended PCI-Express x4, and a legacy PCI. NVIDIA SLI and ATI CrossfireX are supported. The ICH10R southbridge drives six SATA 3 Gb/s ports, while an additional Marvell-made controller drives two SATA 6 Gb/s ports. Connectivity includes 8-channel audio (probably SupremeFX X-Fi), two USB 3.0 ports, a number of USB 2.0 ports including one which holds a Bluetooth module, gigabit Ethernet, and FireWire. ROG-exclusive features include ROG Connect, which allows you to control overclocking with any Bluetooth-enabled cell phone that has the ROG device installed and is Bluetooth-paired with the board, a more flexible BIOS, iROG motherboard management system, and power, reset, and clear-CMOS buttons at convenient locations. Pricing and availability are yet to be known.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

brandonwh64

Addicted to Bacon and StarCrunches!!!
Would this be a reasonable upgrade from my Rampage II gene?

Last edited by a moderator:
System Name Boomer Master Race
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D 4.2Ghz - 5Ghz CPU
Motherboard MSI B650I Edge Wifi ITX Motherboard
Cooling CM 280mm AIO + 2x 120mm Slim fans
Memory G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo 32GB 6000MHz
Video Card(s) Galax RTX 4060 8GB (Temporary Until Next Gen)
Storage Kingston KC3000 M.2 1TB + 2TB HDD
Display(s) Asus TUF 24Inch 165Hz || AOC 24Inch 180Hz
Case Cooler Master NR200P Max TG ITX Case
Audio Device(s) Built In Realtek Digital Audio HD
Power Supply CoolerMaster V850 SFX Gold 850W PSU
Mouse Logitech G203 Lightsync
Keyboard Atrix RGB Slim Keyboard
VR HMD ( ◔ ʖ̯ ◔ )
Software Windows 10 Home 64bit
Benchmark Scores Don't do them anymore.
The design colour scheme looks very nice, Red & black seem to be the way to go these days:toast:

DOM

Processor Intel i7 4770K
Motherboard Asrock
Cooling Water
Memory Team Xtreem LV 16GB (2x8GB)
Video Card(s) EK Full WB HD7970
Display(s) CROSSOVER 27Q LED-P 27"
Case Danger Den Torture Rack
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply CORSAIR Professional Series Gold AX1200
Software W 10 Pro

Kitkat

MATX market + success + request = Crosshair IV GENE. Its going to happen after Crosshair IV extreme. Zero doubt its a no brainer. Its in ASUS hands to fuck it up, get drunk, and forget to pick up their kid from school.

And get with dual lan on all "high end" motherboards not just extreme ASUS!

brandonwh64

Addicted to Bacon and StarCrunches!!!
MATX market + success + request = Crosshair IV GENE. Its going to happen after Crosshair IV extreme. Zero doubt its a no brainer. Its in ASUS hands to fuck it up, get drunk, and forget to pick up their kid from school.

I would like a Crosshair 4 gene for my HTPC build but since i dont use USB3 or sata 6 then i dont thing a rampage II gene is going to be good for me unless it OCs better?

System Name Big Devil
Processor Intel Core i5-2500K
Motherboard ECS P67H2-A2
Cooling XSPC Rasa | Black Ice GT Stealth 240 | XSPC X2O 750 | 2x ACF12PWM | PrimoChill White 7/16"
Memory 2x4GB Corsair Vengeance LP Arctic White 1600MHz CL9
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 780 ACX SC
Storage Intel 520 Series 180GB + WD 1TB Blue
Display(s) HP ZR30W 30" 2650x1600 IPS
Case Corsair 600T SE
Audio Device(s) Xonar Essence STX | Sennheisser PC350 "Hero" Modded | Corsair SP2500
Power Supply ABS SL 1050W (Enermax Revolution Rebadge)
Software Windows 8.1 x64 Pro w/ Media Center
Benchmark Scores Ducky Year of the Snake w/ Cherry MX Browns & Year of the Tiger PBT Keycaps | Razer Deathadder Black
Does the Gene II have two full-bandwidth x16 2.0 slots?

Processor Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 @ 2.83 GHz
Motherboard ASUS P5Q Pro
Cooling Thermalright Venemous-X
Memory OCZ Reaper HPC 4GB DDR2 1066
Video Card(s) XFX HD-587A-ZNF9 Radeon HD 5870
Storage Western Digital Caviar Black WD6401AALS
Display(s) ASUS VH242H
Case Lian Li PC-A05NB
Power Supply CORSAIR HX Series CMPSU-620HX
Software Windows Vista Ultimate 64-bit

I know right! I've been asking for a full-fledged m-ATX AM3 system for such a long time now. If there's a market for high-end m-ATX Intel systems, why not for AMD? Let's hope ASUS follows through after the C4E is released. :rockout:

Does the Gene II have two full-bandwidth x16 2.0 slots?

Yes, as with all X58 based platforms.

My biggest concern once again, like the R2G, is the cooling. Users have complained time and time again that the northbridge gets rather toasty and the cooling on the R3G doesn't look any better. I do wonder though...if ASUS plans on updating the M3G with USB and SATA 3.0 anytime soon.

Kitkat

I know right! I've been asking for a full-fledged m-ATX AM3 system for such a long time now. If there's a market for high-end m-ATX Intel systems, why not for AMD? Let's hope ASUS follows through after the C4E is released. :rockout:

All indicators of Crosshair IV extreme would point to GENE its inevitable. Id bet money. Maybe not before end of summer or even for xmas. Its no brainer now.

I would like a Crosshair 4 gene for my HTPC build but since i dont use USB3 or sata 6 then i dont thing a rampage II gene is going to be good for me unless it OCs better?

ummm less concerned about HTPC, If your OCING to see movies id go with a higher athlon X4 with low volts or unlock phenom 2 and undervolt and <800 chipset lol. More concerned for gamers who already have AMD chips/ram and an old MATX that isn't as good. There next upgrade could be premium and or those who just want to get into OC/gaming with tons of option's luxuries AMD camp wise. Things like adding turbo boost to any multicore shutting off cores for gaming ect. I just know ppl around me like this. PEOPLE who come over kick me off my CH4 to play MY games while i watch...

" Do they have a Micro ATX ver of this?? If they make one id buy it"
All they NEED is the 2XPICE @X16 good OC parts (UD,JSC) and chipset and nothing else physicly.
And all they WANT is all my options and capabilities lol.

I have to show them the old gene Intel cause the AMD is not in site. Now tho i know itll happen. It's completely stupid if it doesn't. SOOOO good for LAN parties ect. AMD nothing to show on premium MATX side. And when they do i hope it forces the following. I lug my system over so to party with them they just end up messing with mine.

GD-70/890FXA MATX
UD-5/890FXA MATX
M4A 890FXA MATX (more ideal for your HTPC high end then a CS4 Gene
AS rock and the rest too more 890FX micros.

Premium ATX is and or has the capability to be a HOT HOT HOT market. id buy a second board just to have as a toy... There's lots of kids that can aim there money at something lower and still get everything they want. My only problem is boards like MA and up..... ASUS... dual LAN already. why only extreme should just come. like GIGABYTE. I say wait but they might save it as a mid refresh since its not announced it wont launch along side something like Crosshair IV extreme tho. Could be a Xmas treat.

Last edited:
System Name Akuma, Iluminati
Processor 2 x Intel i7 4930K @ 4.6GHz
Motherboard 2 x Asus Rampage IV Gene
Cooling 2 x Corsair H110 Push-Pull
Memory 2 x Mushkin Ridgeback Redline 16GB @ DDR3-2400
Video Card(s) 2 x EVGA GTX 670 FTW SLI, EVGA GTX 650 Ti Boost
Storage 2 x Intel 320 120GB RAID0, 2 x Intel 520 180GB RAID0, TOO MANY MORE TO LIST!
Display(s) Asus PB298Q, 2 x Asus VH236H
Case Custom Tech Bench, Antec 300 Illusion
Audio Device(s) 2 x Onboard Soundblaster X-Fi III
Power Supply Corsair HX1000, Rosewill 1000w
Software Windows 7 Ultimate x64
Oh this looks cool. I have the Rampage II Gene and I love it! Maybe I'll sell it and then buy the Rampage III Gene! Looks like everything is laid out the same also so my waterblocks should work for it!