• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

NVIDIA Removes Restriction on ATI GPUs with NVIDIA GPUs Processing PhysX

robert even said he have BFG PPU(AEGIA), but he can't use it anymore because of this restriction.

Actually, you can still use an Ageia PPU along w/ any other GPU. But you have to get old Physx pack from 2008, one before they put up restriction and stopped supporting it. It'll have it's own blue control panel and settings to test the PPU etc, better then Nvidia's integration. :) Kinda cute but doesn't really justify wasting a PCI slot IMO LOL.

Anyway, it was obvious they didn't "remove" restriction. They're Nvidia and that won't happen. The block was on Nvidia's CP level, in SLi&Physx settings. When used with a non-Nvidia GPU, Physx option disappeared. Now that they changed UI to a new one on that page in 257.15, block went away on first rev beta drivers. They forgot to put it back, LOL. Now I wonder if I can do SLi on Server 2003, without changing it to XP x64... maybe tri-way SLi, or how about Quad SLi on XP based OS? Is there ANY reason why I can't, other then their policy? Man Nvidia is stupid...

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Processor Intel Core i7 10850K@5.2GHz
Motherboard AsRock Z470 Taichi
Cooling Corsair H115i Pro w/ Noctua NF-A14 Fans
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Video Card(s) RTX 2070 Super
Storage 500GB SX8200 Pro + 8TB with 1TB SSD Cache
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG280K 4K 28"
Case Fractal Design Define S
Audio Device(s) Onboard is good enough for me
Power Supply eVGA SuperNOVA 1000w G3
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
cuda cant, and never will run on ATI. its a hardware part of the GPU's.

PhysX could be made to run on ATI stream, but there is just no way in hell CUDA can run on ATI, nor stream could run on Nv.

There isn't really a reason that CUDA can't run on ATi hardware. CUDA is not a hardware part of the GPUs, CUDA is all software, built into the driver that uses standard unified Shaders to do work. In theory any GPU with unified shaders should be able to use CUDA.

CUDA came out well after several of the supported GPUs, and support was added via drivers and nothing more, there is nothing in the physical GPU that enables CUDA.

Now, at this point, it would probably be a better idea to port PhysX onto Streams, as ATi definitely isn't going to add CUDA support to their drivers.

I'd rather just file the back of the PCIe slot to be open.

The problem with doing it like that is there might be components on the board behind the PCI-E x1 slots that would still interfere with the PCI-E connector on the card. In the case of his P5Q, there are components that would prevent the card from going either PCI-E x1 slot if you just filed the back of the PCI-E slot.

Or they port Physx over to OpenCL or DirectCompute.

That is probably an even better idea then porting it to Streams! You here that nVidia? Get on it.

I've been thinking that, too. Then, to eliminate all compatibility issues with gfx drivers, make it listed as a co-processor in the OS.

I've said they should do this since Vista first showed the problem with only allowing one type of graphics driver active at a time.

Though I would prefer that they still put display outputs on the card, and make it a graphics card, and instead just put out special drivers that you use that make it a a co-processor in the OS. So if you want to use it as a graphics card, you use the standard drivers, if you want to use it as a PPU only, you use the special drivers.

Last edited:

Mussels

Freshwater Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rainbow Sparkles (Power efficient, <350W gaming load)
Processor Ryzen R7 5800x3D (Undervolted, 4.45GHz all core)
Motherboard Asus x570-F (BIOS Modded)
Cooling Alphacool Apex UV - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora + EK Quantum ARGB 3090 w/ active backplate
Memory 2x32GB DDR4 3600 Corsair Vengeance RGB @3866 C18-22-22-22-42 TRFC704 (1.4V Hynix MJR - SoC 1.15V)
Video Card(s) Galax RTX 3090 SG 24GB: Underclocked to 1700Mhz 0.750v (375W down to 250W))
Storage 2TB WD SN850 NVME + 1TB Sasmsung 970 Pro NVME + 1TB Intel 6000P NVME USB 3.2
Display(s) Phillips 32 32M1N5800A (4k144), LG 32" (4K60) | Gigabyte G32QC (2k165) | Phillips 328m6fjrmb (2K144)
Case Fractal Design R6
Audio Device(s) Logitech G560 | Corsair Void pro RGB |Blue Yeti mic
Power Supply Fractal Ion+ 2 860W (Platinum) (This thing is God-tier. Silent and TINY)
Mouse Logitech G Pro wireless + Steelseries Prisma XL
Keyboard Razer Huntsman TE ( Sexy white keycaps)
VR HMD Oculus Rift S + Quest 2
Software Windows 11 pro x64 (Yes, it's genuinely a good OS) OpenRGB - ditch the branded bloatware!
Benchmark Scores Nyooom.
There isn't really a reason that CUDA can't run on ATi hardware. CUDA is not a hardware part of the GPUs, CUDA is all software, built into the driver that uses standard unified Shaders to do work. In theory any GPU with unified shaders should be able to use CUDA.

CUDA came out well after several of the supported GPUs, and support was added via drivers and nothing more, there is nothing in the physical GPU that enables CUDA.

cuda is a language to translate program calls to work on Nvidia GPU's. ATI GPU's are not nvidia GPU's. CUDA would never work there.

lets use a more simple example.

HD-DVD and BLU-RAY.

They both store on the same sized medium (GPU's) they both do the same thing (hold HD content). No matter what the hell you do, they're not compatible. you can convert the movie (the program) to work on the alternative format by re-burning it on the other disk type (recoding the program to work on openCL instead of CUDA, for example)... but no matter what you do, the language is keyed to that hardware.

people just dont seem to get that while you can code a CUDA app to work on another direct compute style system, YOU CANT RUN CUDA ITSELF ON ANYTHING BUT NVIDIA HARDWARE.

W

wahdangun

cuda is a language to translate program calls to work on Nvidia GPU's. ATI GPU's are not nvidia GPU's. CUDA would never work there.

HD-DVD and BLU-RAY.

They both store on the same sized medium (GPU's) they both do the same thing (hold HD content). No matter what the hell you do, they're not compatible. you can convert the movie (the program) to work on the alternative format by re-burning it on the other disk type (recoding the program to work on openCL instead of CUDA, for example)... but no matter what you do, the language is keyed to that hardware.

people just dont seem to get that while you can code a CUDA app to work on another direct compute style system, YOU CANT RUN CUDA ITSELF ON ANYTHING BUT NVIDIA HARDWARE.

but i kind a gree wit newtikie, it's just like ordinary CPU. just think about it, windows can run in either AMD or intel branded, or you can take extreme example like linux, it can run on PS3(with other OS support) or intel CPU although it's have really different architecture (PPC vs X86)

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600

HD-DVD and BLU-RAY.

You can use all the examples you want, I get what you are trying to say, you are just wrong in saying that CUDA is part of the GPU. That was my point.

It is not part of the GPU, it is entirely software based, there is nothing special required in the GPU for CUDA to run on it. Your original statement was that it is a hardware part of the GPUs, and it is not.

As it is right now, CUDA can not run on ATi hardware. However, there is no reason it couldn't, it just needs to be programmed to do so. Granted, it is never going to happen because ATi and nVidia could never work together to do it, but there is no reason other than that and the huge amount of time and developement it would take that it couldn't.

I'll even use an example of my own, or rather a more accurate version of your example from earlier:

It is like running OSX on non-Apple hardware. OSX is entirely software, there isn't really anything in the hardware that is OSX. At this point, Apples hardware doesn't have a special part built in that allows OSX to run, there isn't anything special about Apple's hardware.

But when you try to run OSX on non-Apple hardware, 9 times out of 10 it bails out a few seconds into the boot sequence. However, you do a little work, a little massaging, and pretty soon you have OSX running on non-Apple hardware.

WSP

Processor AMD PII X4 950BE | E5300
Motherboard MSI 770-G45 | Asus P5N32-E SLI bios 1903
Cooling Thermalright Ultra 120 eXtreme (mod) | stock
Memory 2x1Gb V-GEN PC10600 | 2gb kit Mushkin EM silverline
Video Card(s) 9800GT+9600GT | GTX260+GTS250
Storage Hitachi 160GB+Seagate 320GB | WD 160GB+Hitachi 160GB RAID 0
Display(s) Acer X193HQ | LG 710S
Case Enlight | caseless
Audio Device(s) Audigy SB0090 w/ ATP3 | no sound
Power Supply Toughpower 650W | VenomRX Boomslang modular 700W
Software Win7 x64
Benchmark Scores 14001 3DMark06 score with Manli 9600GT OCed 775-1175
if so, then cuda is an apps writings exclusively for nvidia hardware?

Processor Intel Core i9 9900k @ 5.1GHZ all core load (8c 16t)
Motherboard MSI MEG Z390 ACE
Cooling Corsair H100i v2 240mm
Memory 32GB Corsair 3200mhz C16 (2x16GB)
Video Card(s) Powercolor RX 6900 XT Red Devil Ultimate (XTXH) @ 2.6ghz core, 2.1ghz mem
Storage 256GB WD Black NVME drive, 4TB across various SSDs/NVMEs, 4TB HDD
Display(s) Asus 32" PG32QUX (4k 144hz mini-LED backlit IPS with freesync & gsync & 1400 nit HDR)
Case Corsair 760T
Power Supply Corsair HX850i
Mouse Logitech G502 Lightspeed on powerplay mousemat
Keyboard Logitech G910
VR HMD Wireless Vive Pro & Valve knuckles
Software Windows 10 Pro
but i kind a gree wit newtikie, it's just like ordinary CPU. just think about it, windows can run in either AMD or intel branded, or you can take extreme example like linux, it can run on PS3(with other OS support) or intel CPU although it's have really different architecture (PPC vs X86)

GPUs don't use the same arcitecture/instruction sets in the way cpus do. ATi and nvidia gpus have different instruction sets and very different arcitectures which although similar from a high level point of view at the level where CUDA/stream operate they are extremely different.

Your example of running linux on the cell BE processor in a ps3 and running it on an x86 processor is a bad one as if you were to compare the kernels of the operating system on a ps3 and compare it with that of linux on x86 you would see it is completely different to accomodate the different arcitecture. Your reply would no doubt be "but yes but at the level that matters linux runs on both systems". My response to that is yes - but in the gpu world the kernel is equivalent to CUDA and stream and the linux os which sits on top of the kernel would be the applicaion implementing cuda and stream calls.

If you wanted to code something which runs on both ati and nvidia arcitectures then you would use openCl as ATi and Nvidia have built their own driver level translators to convert openCl calls to match their arcitecture - this is not a small task and removes the need to translate between cuda and stream. Saying nvidia could port cuda to run on ati hardware would be the same as saying intel could port their gpu drivers to run ati hardware - the purpose of the code at that level is to provide an interface to the hardware (CUDA is a hardware API as it gives access to hardware calls specific to certain hardware arcitectures, as opposed to a software API such as directx which is intercepted by drivers which then make the hardware calls appropriate to the hardware which is installed).

Mussels

Freshwater Moderator
Staff member
Cooling Alphacool Apex UV - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora + EK Quantum ARGB 3090 w/ active backplate
Memory 2x32GB DDR4 3600 Corsair Vengeance RGB @3866 C18-22-22-22-42 TRFC704 (1.4V Hynix MJR - SoC 1.15V)
Video Card(s) Galax RTX 3090 SG 24GB: Underclocked to 1700Mhz 0.750v (375W down to 250W))
Storage 2TB WD SN850 NVME + 1TB Sasmsung 970 Pro NVME + 1TB Intel 6000P NVME USB 3.2
Display(s) Phillips 32 32M1N5800A (4k144), LG 32" (4K60) | Gigabyte G32QC (2k165) | Phillips 328m6fjrmb (2K144)
Case Fractal Design R6
Power Supply Fractal Ion+ 2 860W (Platinum) (This thing is God-tier. Silent and TINY)
Software Windows 11 pro x64 (Yes, it's genuinely a good OS) OpenRGB - ditch the branded bloatware!
Benchmark Scores Nyooom.
the HARDWARE can do it, but you're forgetting that we're talking about hte language used BETWEEN the software and the hardware.

CUDA apps converted to run on stream = entirely possible

running CUDA itself is whats it impossible, and what i'm getting sick of seeing people saying.

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
the HARDWARE can do it, but you're forgetting that we're talking about hte language used BETWEEN the software and the hardware.

CUDA apps converted to run on stream = entirely possible

running CUDA itself is whats it impossible, and what i'm getting sick of seeing people saying.

Running CUDA itself is not impossible, just not likely. CUDA, being entirely software, can be re-written and modified to run on pretty much any hardware, it is just up to nVidia what they are willing to do.

W1zzard

Administrator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7 5700X
Memory 48 GB
Video Card(s) RTX 4080
Storage 2x HDD RAID 1, 3x M.2 NVMe
Display(s) 30" 2560x1600 + 19" 1280x1024
Software Windows 10 64-bit
Running CUDA itself is not impossible, just not likely. CUDA, being entirely software, can be re-written and modified to run on pretty much any hardware, it is just up to nVidia what they are willing to do.

nvidia's definition of cuda is that it is the hardware architecture enabling compute on their gpus. but you are correct in a way that it exposes a software interface for which an emulator can be written

Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5950x, Ryzen 9 5980HX
Motherboard MSI X570 Tomahawk
Cooling Be Quiet Dark Rock Pro 4(With Noctua Fans)
Memory 32Gb Crucial 3600 Ballistix
Video Card(s) Gigabyte RTX 3080, Asus 6800M
Storage Adata SX8200 1TB NVME/WD Black 1TB NVME
Display(s) Dell 27 Inch 165Hz
Case Phanteks P500A
Audio Device(s) IFI Zen Dac/JDS Labs Atom+/SMSL Amp+Rivers Audio
Power Supply Corsair RM850x
Mouse Logitech G502 SE Hero
Keyboard Corsair K70 RGB Mk.2
VR HMD Samsung Odyssey Plus
Software Windows 10
it would probably be so slow you might be better off trying to emulate a ps3 on xbox360 or vice verca.

I think it might work but would take so much time to recode that you would be better off making a new standard completely.

System Name Akuma, Iluminati
Processor 2 x Intel i7 4930K @ 4.6GHz
Motherboard 2 x Asus Rampage IV Gene
Cooling 2 x Corsair H110 Push-Pull
Memory 2 x Mushkin Ridgeback Redline 16GB @ DDR3-2400
Video Card(s) 2 x EVGA GTX 670 FTW SLI, EVGA GTX 650 Ti Boost
Storage 2 x Intel 320 120GB RAID0, 2 x Intel 520 180GB RAID0, TOO MANY MORE TO LIST!
Display(s) Asus PB298Q, 2 x Asus VH236H
Case Custom Tech Bench, Antec 300 Illusion
Audio Device(s) 2 x Onboard Soundblaster X-Fi III
Power Supply Corsair HX1000, Rosewill 1000w
Software Windows 7 Ultimate x64

OnBoard

Processor Core i5-750 @ 3.6GHz 1.136V 24/7
Motherboard Gigabyte P55A-UD3, SATA 6Gbit/s & USB3.0 baby!
Cooling Alpenföhn Brocken HeatpipeDirectTouch
Memory Geil Ultra Series 4GB 2133MHz DDR3 @ 1440MHz 7-7-7-24
Video Card(s) Gigabyte GTX 460 1GB OC (mostly stock speeds)
Storage OS: Samsung F3 500GB Games: Samsung F1 640GB
Display(s) new! Samsung P2350 23" FullHD 2ms / Mirai DTL-632E500 32" LCD
Case new! Xigmatek Midgard/Utgard side window with red cathodes, 1x140mm & 3x120mm fans
Audio Device(s) new! ASUS Xonar DG & JVC HA-RX700 headphones
Power Supply Cougar CM 700W Modular
Software Windows 7 Home Premium x64
Benchmark Scores Logitech UltraX Premium & G5 laser v2 + Ulti-mat Breathe X2 for fragging

Now if it was true that main reason for not allowing ATI/NVIDIA combo is the QA work, then leave it enabled just in Beta drivers. Everyone would be happy enough, who needs support.

But it just isn't the truth, only thing needed on WHQL drivers would be an option to the control panel with hybrid support and default is off. Turn it on and you get a message "NVIDIA doesn't support AMD/NVIDIA hybrid GPU configurations, you use this option at your own risk"

Everyone wins and is happy, but no. They purposely make it now work, just because they can and even say it them selves that you need to hack the drivers to use your NVIDIA card..

Last edited:
System Name Dell Workstation t5810
Processor Xeon CPU's E5-2683 v4 Broadwell-E Technology
Motherboard Broadwell-E X99
Cooling Default fan System Level 3
Memory 48GB DDR4
Video Card(s) ASRock Vega 56 8GB
Storage 4 External SSD, 4 External HDD
Display(s) HP 27m LCD
Case Dell Precision 7810 Case
Audio Device(s) RealTek High Definition
Power Supply 825 Watts PSU
Mouse Soundless Black Quiet Mouse
Keyboard Dell Black
Software Windows Pro 10 x64
Based on your system specs, you may not know the difference between hardware PhysX and the ilk.
That has nothing to do with anything.

Check out this video for a comparison between PhysX and non-PhysX.
After watching the video, its nothing to be all hype about it, i never really notice anyway in games. The only type of physx i notice was in timeshift, which looks great. But overall, physx, nvidia, i won't cry if the stuff is disable in games. Nothing important to me.

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Now if it was true that main reason for not allowing ATI/NVIDIA combo is the QA work, then leave it enabled just in Beta drivers. Everyone would be happy enough, who need support.

But it just isn't the truth, only thing needed on WHQL drivers would be an option to the control panel with hybrid support and default is off. Turn it on and you get a message "NVIDIA doesn't support AMD/NVIDIA hybrid GPU configurations, you use this option at your own risk"

Everyone wins and is happy, but no. They purposely make it now work, just because they can and even say it them selves that you need to hack the drivers to use your NVIDIA card..

I like this idea, disable it in the WHQL drivers, and leave it enabled in the beta drivers. Sounds like a perfect solution, since they don't support beta drivers anyway, they don't have to worry about supporting something that might not work.

bebbee

System Name my rig
Processor c2d e4500 at 3.00ghz
Motherboard P5KR
Memory 3GB DDR2
Video Card(s) oced GTS 250 512mb
Storage 2 HDs
Display(s) 17 CRT
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply Silverstone 560w
Software win7
i hate these overpriced and expensive new GPUs.

a GTS 250 is still a fast and bang for the bucks card.

i am against all these new cards.

Processor 2700x under H100i progeebee
Motherboard ASUS x470 prime
Cooling Fans
Memory gskill ripjaw 3200
Video Card(s) MSi Vega 64 ref
Storage 120Gb OCZ Vertex 2E SSD - 500Gb Games - 1.5tb Storage and Media
Case CM HAF 932
Power Supply Corsair TX750
Software Win 10
System Name BACKTOTHEFUTURE
Processor Stock I7 920
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-EX58-DS4 BIOS F6
Cooling 4 120mm 1 140mm top fan
Memory 12 gigabytes of DDR3 1333 RAM
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 780ti
Storage Samsung 1.5 terrabyte Steam Drive and 2 Samsung 750 gig Sata 2 in Raid 0
Display(s) HP LP3065 30" Monitor
Case Antec Three Hundred
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar DS
Power Supply Solid Gear Neutron 750 watt
Software Windows Vista Ultimate 64 bit
As long as we have a chance to at least try GPU PhysX

I really respect nvidia for this decision. Official support itsnt a realistic expectation for ATI users but the enthusiast community isn't afraid of beta software.

I'm happy with a use at your own risk policy. Hell, that rule applies every time I eat out. :toast:

System Name Loose nuts & bolts
Processor FX-8350 - EK Supreme HF full nickel
Motherboard ASUS Sabertooth 990FX R2.0
Cooling Water EK goodness all around 2xBlack Ice X-280
Memory 2 x8G HyperX Fury 1600 @ 9-9-9-24-1T
Video Card(s) 2 x XFX RX 480 w/EK-FC RX 480 nickel+Acetal
Storage Samsung 850 Evo + 2xWD Black 500GB in RAID0
Display(s) Crossover 27" 2560x1440 110Hz OC
Case Cooler Master HAF XB EVO
Audio Device(s) on board
Power Supply Corsair HX850
Software Win 10 Enterprise x64

TheMailMan78

Big Member
System Name TheMailbox 5.0 / The Mailbox 4.5
Processor RYZEN 1700X / Intel i7 2600k @ 4.2GHz
Motherboard Fatal1ty X370 Gaming K4 / Gigabyte Z77X-UP5 TH Intel LGA 1155
Cooling MasterLiquid PRO 280 / Scythe Katana 4
Memory ADATA RGB 16GB DDR4 2666 16-16-16-39 / G.SKILL Sniper Series 16GB DDR3 1866: 9-9-9-24
Video Card(s) MSI 1080 "Duke" with 8Gb of RAM. Boost Clock 1847 MHz / ASUS 780ti
Storage 256Gb M4 SSD / 128Gb Agelity 4 SSD , 500Gb WD (7200)
Display(s) LG 29" Class 21:9 UltraWide® IPS LED Monitor 2560 x 1080 / Dell 27"
Case Cooler Master MASTERBOX 5t / Cooler Master 922 HAF
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1220 Audio Codec / SupremeFX X-Fi with Bose Companion 2 speakers.
Power Supply Seasonic FOCUS Plus Series SSR-750PX 750W Platinum / SeaSonic X Series X650 Gold
Mouse SteelSeries Sensei (RAW) / Logitech G5
Keyboard Razer BlackWidow / Logitech (Unknown)
Software Windows 10 Pro (64-bit)
Benchmark Scores Benching is for bitches.
I don't know why so many people don't understand why Nvidia disables PhysX with a non-Nvidia card. It's just not profitable to ensure QA. Just because the hack (and in this case the un-locked beta drivers) works for the mayority, that doesn't mean it works for everybody without a single problem (for instance it won't work in Vista). Things that come from companies like Nvidia, Ati,Intel, etc have to work 100% or at least 99.9999999% of the times. Plain and simple.

Someone somewhere will always be able to hack something or mod something that will work 99% of the times without spending excesive time and money on the development, but they are free of responsability if that 1% for which it doesn't work as it should, breaks their PC trying to make it work. Companies have to ensure by law that it works on 100% of the cases and when it fails they have legal responsability. It's that 1% that costs these companies (and this goes for any tech company, game developer, car vendors, whatever) a lot of money in QA, but they have to do it, because even something that seems so small as 1% is a very big number of people in real life, outside iof enthusiast forums. A hack is used by very few people, which can literally translate to 99 people saying how well it works and only one person saying it broke his windows installment. That person will be ignored and people think it works flawlessly which in most cases is probably true, but not always. There's still the fact that it could NOT work in certain cases, because it has not been tested. If something untested was officially released and it didn't work in just 1% of people, that would still make a number of more than 1 million failing cases and that would make a lot of noise... class actions would be put in place etc, etc. I repeat, companies have to ENSURE it works flawlessly and that costs a lot of money, not to mention having access to tech and IP that the company might not have, like for example, for Nvidia Southern Islands/Northerns Islands. How are them supposed to ensure 100% interoperability when those cards are released? Average joe will not understand if for whatever reason PhysX doesn't work in his shiny new card. Why is he supposed to wait 2 months in order to have something he already had working before?

In a sense that's what is good about PC gaming and modding. Someone can make something and you can try it under your responsability. When I say "you", I mean an enthusiast, because average joe will not downlaod it, and that's the difference. Average joe won't download such a hack, but average joe will download an official release, average joe will try such official release and if it doesn't work average joe will blame the company and will go as far as taking legal action, because average joe knows much more about class actions than he knows about tech. And that's all, really. No campany is willing to spend so much money making something work when it won't even work in most systems out there (Vista). try explaining average joe why that something that is official works on XP or 7, but doesn't work on Vista... try...

You are to smart to buy into that PR crap from Nividia.

First of all name one thing in your experience that you have NEVER had a problem with in the computer world. Even my case panel sometimes doesn't close as it should but never once did I think "I'm going to file a class action lawsuit against Coolermaster because one screw doesn't ALWAYS line up!" I mean really both Nvidia and ATI have driver problems with SOMETHING in EVERY release. If they didn't why do they keep releasing updates? Because something new or old isn't 100% compatible!

A lone joker in the hacking world created a decent mod that works 99% of the time. What do you think Nvidias RD crew could do? Please this QA crap is just PR so they don't seem like greedy bastards. Not that its a bad thing wanting to make money off of what you paid for but don't insult peoples intelligence.

System Name Old Gateway / Steam Deck OLED LE
Processor i5 4440 3.1ghz / Jupiter 4c 8t
Motherboard Gateway / Valve
Cooling Eh it doesn't thermal throttle
Memory 2x 8GB JEDEC 1600mhz DDR3 / 16gb DDR5 6400
Video Card(s) RX 560D 4GB / Navi II 8CU
Storage 240gb 2.5 SSD / 1TB nvme
Display(s) Dell @ 1280*1024 75hz / 800p OLED
Case Gateway / Valve LE
Audio Device(s) Gateway Diamond Audio EMC2.0-USB 5375U ($15 a long ass time ago), Valve
Power Supply 380w oem / 65w valve USB-C
Mouse Purple Walmart special, 1600dpi. Black desk mat
Keyboard SteelSeries Apex 100 / virtual
VR HMD Lmao
Software Windows 10 / Steam OS
Benchmark Scores It can run Crysis (Original), Doom 2016, and Halo MCC. SD LE 45fps
what about with my 9600gt in the lead and the hd3200 chipset? well i'll try the drivers out and let you guys know!

Benetanegia

You are to smart to buy into that PR crap from Nividia.

First of all name one thing in your experience that you have NEVER had a problem with in the computer world. Even my case panel sometimes doesn't close as it should but never once did I think "I'm going to file a class action lawsuit against Coolermaster because one screw doesn't ALWAYS line up!" I mean really both Nvidia and ATI have driver problems with SOMETHING in EVERY release. If they didn't why do they keep releasing updates? Because something new or old isn't 100% compatible!

A lone joker in the hacking world created a decent mod that works 99% of the time. What do you think Nvidias RD crew could do? Please this QA crap is just PR so they don't seem like greedy bastards. Not that its a bad thing wanting to make money off of what you paid for but don't insult peoples intelligence.

I don't buy any PR crap, I've been saying this for a long long time, long, even before they said anything. Because I know for a matter of fact that things work that way. Not in the GPU or driver bussiness, but I've been there, so I know what is about. It doesn't matter if the QA is that important in the end or if it works at all, they have to do it, because in many countries it's obligatory. If they spent time and money and it doesn't work, no worries, but oh friend if it doesn't work and no QA was done... be prepared.

And they just don't want to spend the money on QA on something that is not really in their hands. A lot of that QA has to be made on AMD's end and they will just not do it. Even when only Nvidia cards are used, every PhysX driver update needs the latest GPU driver as well, or everything gets fucked up soon, that's something that I have suffered from. So a mix between Ati and Nvidia is always going to be worse.

Now, the idea of allowing it on the beta... that could work, but there's still the fact that it would not work on Vista systems and that's a nightmare to explain to average joe and it owuldn't be very different than the hack anyway. The hack has probably more support than the beta regarding Ati+Nvidia setup.

Mussels

Freshwater Moderator
Staff member
Case Fractal Design R6
Benchmark Scores Nyooom.
I don't buy any PR crap, I've been saying this for a long long time, long, even before they said anything. Because I know for a matter of fact that things work that way. Not in the GPU or driver bussiness, but I've been there, so I know what is about. It doesn't matter if the QA is that important in the end or if it works at all, they have to do it, because in many countries it's obligatory. If they spent time and money and it doesn't work, no worries, but oh friend if it doesn't work and no QA was done... be prepared.

And they just don't want to spend the money on QA on something that is not really in their hands. A lot of that QA has to be made on AMD's end and they will just not do it. Even when only Nvidia cards are used, every PhysX driver update needs the latest GPU driver as well, or everything gets fucked up soon, that's something that I have suffered from. So a mix between Ati and Nvidia is always going to be worse.

Now, the idea of allowing it on the beta... that could work, but there's still the fact that it would not work on Vista systems and that's a nightmare to explain to average joe and it owuldn't be very different than the hack anyway. The hack has probably more support than the beta regarding Ati+Nvidia setup.

The QA was already done... AGEIA PPU's worked on ATI, nvidia, SIS, matrox, etc.

Benetanegia

The QA was already done... AGEIA PPU's worked on ATI, nvidia, SIS, matrox, etc.

That was a looooong time ago. Yes, GPU drivers from 2005 worked on my Radeon 9600 and games from that era too, but try running them today... They may work on many cases, but you are surely going to find a lot of problems. As a company Nvidia just wants to stay clear from any problems of that nature. Plain and simple.

The reason Nvidia is disabling PhysX is the same that Ati discontinued the X1000 series of cards, even when they were still selling them. There's a point in which a company doesn't want to spend more money in something that only few people are gonna use.