• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

NVIDIA Removes Restriction on ATI GPUs with NVIDIA GPUs Processing PhysX

W

wahdangun

That disclaimer is as useless as the EULA in games. Maybe it has legal weight in the US, but outside of the US it's useless. They can say as much as they want but, at least in the EU, they have legal responsability no matter what they say. Laws are always above any contract.

Those disclaimers and the EULA are put there in order to make people think they can't do anything if something goes wrong and from what I see, it works.

hmmm so if QA nvdia so great why they release WHQL driver that shut off the fan and make the card overheating.

it seems to me they don't take QA seriously

TheMailMan78

Big Member
System Name TheMailbox 5.0 / The Mailbox 4.5
Processor RYZEN 1700X / Intel i7 2600k @ 4.2GHz
Motherboard Fatal1ty X370 Gaming K4 / Gigabyte Z77X-UP5 TH Intel LGA 1155
Cooling MasterLiquid PRO 280 / Scythe Katana 4
Memory ADATA RGB 16GB DDR4 2666 16-16-16-39 / G.SKILL Sniper Series 16GB DDR3 1866: 9-9-9-24
Video Card(s) MSI 1080 "Duke" with 8Gb of RAM. Boost Clock 1847 MHz / ASUS 780ti
Storage 256Gb M4 SSD / 128Gb Agelity 4 SSD , 500Gb WD (7200)
Display(s) LG 29" Class 21:9 UltraWide® IPS LED Monitor 2560 x 1080 / Dell 27"
Case Cooler Master MASTERBOX 5t / Cooler Master 922 HAF
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1220 Audio Codec / SupremeFX X-Fi with Bose Companion 2 speakers.
Power Supply Seasonic FOCUS Plus Series SSR-750PX 750W Platinum / SeaSonic X Series X650 Gold
Mouse SteelSeries Sensei (RAW) / Logitech G5
Keyboard Razer BlackWidow / Logitech (Unknown)
Software Windows 10 Pro (64-bit)
Benchmark Scores Benching is for bitches.
hmmm so if QA nvdia so great why they release WHQL driver that shut off the fan and make the card overheating.

There is no point. Hes blinded by PR rhetoric.

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Processor Intel Core i7 10850K@5.2GHz
Motherboard AsRock Z470 Taichi
Cooling Corsair H115i Pro w/ Noctua NF-A14 Fans
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Video Card(s) RTX 2070 Super
Storage 500GB SX8200 Pro + 8TB with 1TB SSD Cache
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG280K 4K 28"
Case Fractal Design Define S
Audio Device(s) Onboard is good enough for me
Power Supply eVGA SuperNOVA 1000w G3
Software Windows 10 Pro x64

Yeah, that is definitely proof that nVidia doesn't care at all about QA.:rolleyes:

Or maybe it is a sign that they are already working with a QA department that is stretched thin enough to let the occasional thing slip through. So adding more QA work load is probably a bad idea...

But yeah, the nVidia doesn't care about QA theory makes far more sense.:rolleyes:

GenL

Guys, just to let you know, i've made a fix for Batman to make the game use its native MSAA code about a month ago. You can find it on NGOHQ.

As for
doesn't work on ATi hardware as it wasn't coded for ATi hardware
, you are wrong if you think so. It's all about 2 VendorID checks - one in the launcher, another one in the game.

TheMailMan78

Big Member
System Name TheMailbox 5.0 / The Mailbox 4.5
Processor RYZEN 1700X / Intel i7 2600k @ 4.2GHz
Motherboard Fatal1ty X370 Gaming K4 / Gigabyte Z77X-UP5 TH Intel LGA 1155
Cooling MasterLiquid PRO 280 / Scythe Katana 4
Memory ADATA RGB 16GB DDR4 2666 16-16-16-39 / G.SKILL Sniper Series 16GB DDR3 1866: 9-9-9-24
Video Card(s) MSI 1080 "Duke" with 8Gb of RAM. Boost Clock 1847 MHz / ASUS 780ti
Storage 256Gb M4 SSD / 128Gb Agelity 4 SSD , 500Gb WD (7200)
Display(s) LG 29" Class 21:9 UltraWide® IPS LED Monitor 2560 x 1080 / Dell 27"
Case Cooler Master MASTERBOX 5t / Cooler Master 922 HAF
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1220 Audio Codec / SupremeFX X-Fi with Bose Companion 2 speakers.
Power Supply Seasonic FOCUS Plus Series SSR-750PX 750W Platinum / SeaSonic X Series X650 Gold
Mouse SteelSeries Sensei (RAW) / Logitech G5
Keyboard Razer BlackWidow / Logitech (Unknown)
Software Windows 10 Pro (64-bit)
Benchmark Scores Benching is for bitches.
Guys, just to let you know, i've made a fix for Batman to make the game use its native MSAA code about a month ago. You can find it on NGOHQ.

As for, you are wrong if you think so. It's all about 2 VendorID checks - one in the launcher, another one in the game.

Link?

System Name Loose nuts & bolts
Processor FX-8350 - EK Supreme HF full nickel
Motherboard ASUS Sabertooth 990FX R2.0
Cooling Water EK goodness all around 2xBlack Ice X-280
Memory 2 x8G HyperX Fury 1600 @ 9-9-9-24-1T
Video Card(s) 2 x XFX RX 480 w/EK-FC RX 480 nickel+Acetal
Storage Samsung 850 Evo + 2xWD Black 500GB in RAID0
Display(s) Crossover 27" 2560x1440 110Hz OC
Case Cooler Master HAF XB EVO
Audio Device(s) on board
Power Supply Corsair HX850
Software Win 10 Enterprise x64
Welcome to TPU GenL :toast:

W

wahdangun

As for, you are wrong if you think so. It's all about 2 VendorID checks - one in the launcher, another one in the game.

wow, so that's true after all,

where is the link man ?

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600

It doesn't work, there was a long thread about it and the people that tested it were able to enable the option in the options, but it didn't actually do anything. No AA was applied, and I seem to remember it actually caused the game to crash sometimes.

Edit: This specific post talks about the issues with forcing the vender ID, which shouldn't be any different then removing the vender ID checks. Basically, AA doesn't get enabled, or at least not the way it should, with some things having some AA applied, but others none at all. It just doesn't work right on ATi hardware. AFAIK, no one has got it working properly. You can enable the option in the settings, but it doesn't actually work properly.

Last edited:

Benetanegia

In fact that's the point. That driver didn't shut off the fan in every card, not at all, only on a very few number of ones and look what has happened. Yet, you can bet that someone got punished in the QA department anyway.

Besides I never said they are great or serious about QA, not at all. I said they don't want to spend money on QAing something that would not make them more money than it costs. It's that simple and at this point I don't care if you all understand that simple concept or not.

W

wahdangun

It doesn't work, there was a long thread about it and the people that tested it were able to enable the option in the options, but it didn't actually do anything. No AA was applied, and I seem to remember it actually caused the game to crash sometimes.

so can u give me the link to the thread newtikie?

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
so can u give me the link to the thread newtikie?

I did even better, I liked to the specific post addressing the issue.:toast:

I was already looking for it when you posed.:laugh:

W

wahdangun

I did even better, I liked to the specific post addressing the issue.:toast:

I was already looking for it when you posed.:laugh:

what is that link? it's not from NGHOK :wtf:?

btw i just want to see the original link, so maybe GenL have fix the issue

System Name Jaguar X
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7700X
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix X670E-E Gaming WiFi
Cooling Corsair H150 RGB
Memory 2x 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR5-6000
Video Card(s) Gigabyte RTX 4080 Gaming OC
Storage 1TB Kingston KC3000 + 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus
Display(s) LG C1
Case Cougar Panzer EVO RGB
Power Supply XPG Core Reactor 850W
Mouse Cougar Minos XT
Keyboard Cougar Ultimus RGB
Software Windows 11 Pro
For all of the bitching about how physx sucks and is "useless" These threads sure do generate A LOT of interest

This thread comments section is extense by now. I think driver66 is right, we, ATi owners, are making a big deal of this stuff and giving to Nvidia arguments about PhysX and CUDA. I wouldn't be surprised that Nvidia's marketing department starts using some ATi users' comments to advertise something like "PhysX and CUDA makes them envy you".

If you really want to try hybrid PhysX out, use the beta driver or hack and play ;)

GenL

I wouldn't be surprised that Nvidia's marketing department starts using some ATi users' comments to advertise something like "PhysX and CUDA makes them envy you".
And they would be wrong about this. It's not about envy, it's about limitations they are creating to advertise their products. People just don't like these limitations. You know, a twice-dropped fps after breaking a glass in-game or inability to use in-game MSAA look more like limitations to me.
People are still using nvidia GPUs to process PhysX, this is 100% legitimate since nvidia said their GPUs can process PhysX, don't you think? Why say they do envy if they are just using a product they own for a proper task it's supposed to process?

btw, why this "fix" was detected as virus with my avira?
Because your avira doesn't know how to deal with some packers, i suppose.
Didn't you know that the Hybrid PhysX mod is also virus-tagged because of antivirus mistakes?..

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
what is that link? it's not from NGHOK :wtf:?

btw i just want to see the original link, so maybe GenL have fix the issue

Sorry, that was the link to the original discussion when the Batman AA thing was big in the news. They didn't remove the vender ID checks, they just emulated the vender ID. The result was the same though, it allowed MSAA to be enabled in Batman, and it didn't work properly. It sort of worked, but not totally.

Because your avira doesn't know how to deal with some packers, i suppose.
Didn't you know that the Hybrid PhysX mod is also virus-tagged because of antivirus mistakes?..

Actually, if you believe Regeneration from NGOHQ, it is a big conspiricy by nVidia...because nVidia has so much power they can get anti-virus makers to put false positives in their software...:rolleyes:

GenL

It sort of worked, but not totally.
I don't quite understand this... For me it worked perfectly (fix, not emulation), i mean the game was using its own MSAA without any problems. If by "not totally" someone means that this native MSAA is not perfectly nice, that's because it's not a regular AA scheme, but a custom-implemented one at the engine level with some limitations. This doesn't change the fact that such MSAA looks same for nvidia and ati GPUs, though.
My screenshots of this MSAA can be found at the NGOHQ topic.

Actually, if you believe Regeneration from NGOHQ, it is a big conspiricy by nVidia...because nVidia has so much power they can get anti-virus makers to put false positives in their software...:rolleyes:
Nope, perhaps some people who screamed about this were somehow biased, but the whole false-positive thing was caused by the packer and bad antivirus logic only.

You know, it's just a trivial thing today. I remember the very first time i was browsing through official Batman AA forums' content section, where users put their custom skins for download, some helpful tool they were using was flagged as a virus too. Why don't they scream about it? Because they understand it's not a big deal when some AV software does a mistake.

Last edited:

Mussels

Freshwater Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rainbow Sparkles (Power efficient, <350W gaming load)
Processor Ryzen R7 5800x3D (Undervolted, 4.45GHz all core)
Motherboard Asus x570-F (BIOS Modded)
Cooling Alphacool Apex UV - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora + EK Quantum ARGB 3090 w/ active backplate
Memory 2x32GB DDR4 3600 Corsair Vengeance RGB @3866 C18-22-22-22-42 TRFC704 (1.4V Hynix MJR - SoC 1.15V)
Video Card(s) Galax RTX 3090 SG 24GB: Underclocked to 1700Mhz 0.750v (375W down to 250W))
Storage 2TB WD SN850 NVME + 1TB Sasmsung 970 Pro NVME + 1TB Intel 6000P NVME USB 3.2
Display(s) Phillips 32 32M1N5800A (4k144), LG 32" (4K60) | Gigabyte G32QC (2k165) | Phillips 328m6fjrmb (2K144)
Case Fractal Design R6
Audio Device(s) Logitech G560 | Corsair Void pro RGB |Blue Yeti mic
Power Supply Fractal Ion+ 2 860W (Platinum) (This thing is God-tier. Silent and TINY)
Mouse Logitech G Pro wireless + Steelseries Prisma XL
Keyboard Razer Huntsman TE ( Sexy white keycaps)
VR HMD Oculus Rift S + Quest 2
Software Windows 11 pro x64 (Yes, it's genuinely a good OS) OpenRGB - ditch the branded bloatware!
Benchmark Scores Nyooom.
avira is just a bad AV, thats why.

thanks for posting that fix man :)

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Nope, perhaps some people who screamed about this were somehow biased, but the whole false-positive thing was caused by the packer and bad antivirus logic only.

You know, it's just a trivial thing today. I remember the very first time i was browsing through official Batman AA forums' content section, where users put their custom skins for download, some helpful tool they were using was flagged as a virus too. Why don't they scream about it? Because they understand it's not a big deal when some AV software does a mistake.

You mistunderstand me. I totally agree that it is a false positive. However, the last time something came from NGOHQ that was a false postive, several sites picked it up and reported that it contained a virus according to several anti-virus programs. Yes, that is what tech sites do. One site posts a popular hack contains a virus, and the rest report the same. Regeneration completely flew off the handle, and started going on rants about how it is a scam that nVidia bribed all those sites to report it as a trojan...

These sites included far better sites then his, including HardOCP and Guru3d. He even claims both sites are corrupt, in fact he claimed every site the reported the news was part of the scam and corrupt.

Of course he also blames eVGA, and by extension nVidia, because there was discussion about it on their forums by users with no affiliation with eVGA or nVidia...

I'm sure he now that your hack has been reported as a virus her, he will likely do the same and claim TPU is in nVidia's pocket and it is a big scam.

Of course if a more legit packing was used for these mods, and not one generally used by viruses to avoid detection, this wouldn't have been a problem to begin with...

Last edited:

Mussels

Freshwater Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rainbow Sparkles (Power efficient, <350W gaming load)
Processor Ryzen R7 5800x3D (Undervolted, 4.45GHz all core)
Motherboard Asus x570-F (BIOS Modded)
Cooling Alphacool Apex UV - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora + EK Quantum ARGB 3090 w/ active backplate
Memory 2x32GB DDR4 3600 Corsair Vengeance RGB @3866 C18-22-22-22-42 TRFC704 (1.4V Hynix MJR - SoC 1.15V)
Video Card(s) Galax RTX 3090 SG 24GB: Underclocked to 1700Mhz 0.750v (375W down to 250W))
Storage 2TB WD SN850 NVME + 1TB Sasmsung 970 Pro NVME + 1TB Intel 6000P NVME USB 3.2
Display(s) Phillips 32 32M1N5800A (4k144), LG 32" (4K60) | Gigabyte G32QC (2k165) | Phillips 328m6fjrmb (2K144)
Case Fractal Design R6
Audio Device(s) Logitech G560 | Corsair Void pro RGB |Blue Yeti mic
Power Supply Fractal Ion+ 2 860W (Platinum) (This thing is God-tier. Silent and TINY)
Mouse Logitech G Pro wireless + Steelseries Prisma XL
Keyboard Razer Huntsman TE ( Sexy white keycaps)
VR HMD Oculus Rift S + Quest 2
Software Windows 11 pro x64 (Yes, it's genuinely a good OS) OpenRGB - ditch the branded bloatware!
Benchmark Scores Nyooom.
You mistunderstand me. I totally agree that it is a false positive. However, the last time something came from NGOHQ that was a false postive, several sites picked it up and reported that it contained a virus according to several anti-virus programs. Yes, that is what tech sites do. One site posts a popular hack contains a virus, and the rest report the same. Regeneration completely flew off the handle, and started going on rants about how it is a scam that nVidia bribed all those sites to report it as a trojan...

These sites included far better sites then his, including HardOCP and Guru3d. He even claims both sites are corrupt, in fact he claimed every site the reported the news was part of the scam and corrupt.

Of course he also blames eVGA, and by extension nVidia, because there was discussion about it on their forums by users with no affiliation with eVGA or nVidia...

I'm sure he now that your hack has been reported as a virus her, he will likely do the same and claim TPU is in nVidia's pocket and it is a big scam.

Of course if a more legit packing was used for these mods, and not one generally used by viruses to avoid detection, this wouldn't have been a problem to begin with...

his mod shows clean in kaspersky. its not the mod-makers faults that some people insist on using shitty heuristics based AV's.

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
his mod shows clean in kaspersky. its not the mod-makers faults that some people insist on using shitty heuristics based AV's.

It doesn't matter, that isn't the point, false positives happen with every AV.

The point is both mods are packed in a way that is known to cause false positives. The mod makers know this, yet they continue to do it. There is no reason they can't pack their files in a way that isn't known to cause false positives. It certainly is the mod-maker's fault that they use shitty non-standard packers.

And the main point is that when the false positives happened, and were reported, Regeneration went ape shit calling every site that reported the news corrupt and part of a scam against HGOHQ.

Wile E

Power User
System Name The ClusterF**k
Processor 980X @ 4Ghz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5 BIOS F12
Cooling MCR-320, DDC-1 pump w/Bitspower res top (1/2" fittings), Koolance CPU-360
Memory 3x2GB Mushkin Redlines 1600Mhz 6-8-6-24 1T
Video Card(s) Evga GTX 580
Storage Corsair Neutron GTX 240GB, 2xSeagate 320GB RAID0; 2xSeagate 3TB; 2xSamsung 2TB; Samsung 1.5TB
Display(s) HP LP2475w 24" 1920x1200 IPS
Case Technofront Bench Station
Audio Device(s) Auzentech X-Fi Forte into Onkyo SR606 and Polk TSi200's + RM6750
Power Supply ENERMAX Galaxy EVO EGX1250EWT 1250W
Software Win7 Ultimate N x64, OSX 10.8.4
I want to see more comparison screen shots with and without in game AA, on both brands of cards at the same settings.

Wile E

Power User
System Name The ClusterF**k
Processor 980X @ 4Ghz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5 BIOS F12
Cooling MCR-320, DDC-1 pump w/Bitspower res top (1/2" fittings), Koolance CPU-360
Memory 3x2GB Mushkin Redlines 1600Mhz 6-8-6-24 1T
Video Card(s) Evga GTX 580
Storage Corsair Neutron GTX 240GB, 2xSeagate 320GB RAID0; 2xSeagate 3TB; 2xSamsung 2TB; Samsung 1.5TB
Display(s) HP LP2475w 24" 1920x1200 IPS
Case Technofront Bench Station
Audio Device(s) Auzentech X-Fi Forte into Onkyo SR606 and Polk TSi200's + RM6750
Power Supply ENERMAX Galaxy EVO EGX1250EWT 1250W
Software Win7 Ultimate N x64, OSX 10.8.4