• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

What about a Quote button for the posts visable in the advanced post page?

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Processor Intel Core i7 10850K@5.2GHz
Motherboard AsRock Z470 Taichi
Cooling Corsair H115i Pro w/ Noctua NF-A14 Fans
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Video Card(s) RTX 2070 Super
Storage 500GB SX8200 Pro + 8TB with 1TB SSD Cache
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG280K 4K 28"
Case Fractal Design Define S
Audio Device(s) Onboard is good enough for me
Power Supply eVGA SuperNOVA 1000w G3
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
When you reply to a thread, and click on the "Go Advanced" button, or click on a "Quote" button in a post, it takes you to the Advanced Reply page, with more options and such, we've all seen it.

Anyway, the part some of us might never have notices is that the page also has about a page worth of posts from the thread at the bottom.

I think it would be nice to be able to have a quote button on each of those posts, that when clicked would add the quote at the bottom of the text field, so if you miss quoting a post when you are doing a multi-quote reply, you can just add it from that page instead of openning up the thread in another tab/window, quoting the text, then copying it into the field manually.

I don't know, just an idea.

Kreij

Senior Monkey Moderator
You can always C&P what you missed and manually put it in quote tags.

I'm not saying your idea has no merit, just wonder if the effort to implement it is worth the results.

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Processor Intel Core i7 10850K@5.2GHz
Motherboard AsRock Z470 Taichi
Cooling Corsair H115i Pro w/ Noctua NF-A14 Fans
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Video Card(s) RTX 2070 Super
Storage 500GB SX8200 Pro + 8TB with 1TB SSD Cache
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG280K 4K 28"
Case Fractal Design Define S
Audio Device(s) Onboard is good enough for me
Power Supply eVGA SuperNOVA 1000w G3
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
You can always C&P what you missed and manually put it in quote tags.

I'm not saying your idea has no merit, just wonder if the effort to implement it is worth the results.

Yeah, but then it lacks the nice little pre-formatted Quote tag with the user name and post ID and link to the original post.

I would think most of the code is probably already written in one way or another, the insertion code is already there for the Smilies, and the rest of the code is already there for the regular quote tags. I wouldn't think it would be worth it if it was much more than just putting those two functions together.

Kreij

Senior Monkey Moderator
Yeah, but then it lacks the nice little pre-formatted Quote tag with the user name and post ID and link to the original post.

I would think most of the code is probably already written in one way or another, the insertion code is already there for the Smilies, and the rest of the code is already there for the regular quote tags. I wouldn't think it would be worth it if it was much more than just putting those two functions together.

When you hover over the posts in "advanced edit" it shows you the post #.
That too could be added manually ....

Newt said some stuff

It's a bit of a PITA, but doable.

W1zz would have to make the call as he's the one making the changes.
Not a bad idea, but I'm not sure how much use it would get. :ohwell: