• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Thermaltake Launches Toughpower Grand 80 PLUS Gold Certified PSUs

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
Thermaltake Technology, leading DIY computer components and power supply brand, today announced the latest addition to the popular "Toughpower" line of high-end PC power supply units, the Toughpower Grand Series. Its grandiose looks with a classy black finish make a clear statement through sheer appearance: this is quality pure. The proprietary 14cm dual-ball-bearing flower-shaped fan provides optimized ventilation for the inside components of the Tougherpower Grand unit. Being 80 PLUS Gold certified users don't just get a guaranteed eco-friendly PSU with more than 90% efficiency at 50% load and a 0.95 active power factor correction (PFC), but the electricity bill will noticeably drop as well. By virtue of their high-efficiency, the Toughpower Grand 650W (750W peak) and 750W (850W peak) models are ideally suited for high-end gaming and enthusiast PCs powering multi-core processors in combination with multi-GPU setups.

For demanding mission-critical environments and applications, industrial-grade components are indispensible and are being tested 24/7 at 50°C to ensure utmost stability and long-term reliability. The Japanese made and solid state capacitors withstand up to at least 105°C of heat serving as robust foundation for the Toughpower Grand Series. Additional DC-to-DC converter modules for +3.3V and +5V rails ensure low A/C ripple and great system stability. The convenient Cable Management allows you to only connect those components' power cords that you actually need, this helps to decrease cable mess and increase air circulation within the case.

The Toughpower Grand exclusive 12Vin1 provides for a powerful single 12V rail for best compatibility. The unique FanDelayCool feature enables the flower shape 14cm fan to keep running 15-30 seconds after system shutdown to prolong the lifetime of PSU components.

Two sets of anti-vibration gaskets add to the Toughpower Grand's overall silence-promisions, while a convenient cable bag keeps the currently unneeded cables in order. With sufficient mounting screws and cable straps you ready to set up your high-end rig with a mighty power supply that stands for best power efficiency and exceptional reliability.

Toughpower Grand 750W (TPG-750M), MSRP US$ 189.90
Toughpower Grand 650W (TPG-650M), MSRP US$ 169.90

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
Looks good, too bad it doesn't have the 24pin modular.

Why do you need 24-pin ATX to be modular? Are you not going to need that connector in your system?

System Name MRCOMP!
Processor 5800X3D
Motherboard MSI Gaming Plus
Cooling Corsair 280 AIO
Memory 64GB 3600mhz
Video Card(s) GTX3060
Storage 1TB SSD
Display(s) Samsung Neo
Case No Case... just sitting on cardboard :D
Power Supply Antec 650w
why would anyone want the 24pin to be modular? you need it 99.9999 % of the time? the only time you would not need it is if you set the PSU up as an AUX dedicated to run video cards or PSU's and they make special PSU's just for that so there is no point in making the 24pin modular.

as a side note, having it modular is bad as it incresses resistance (i think its resistance, maybe noise as well?)

this also goes for the 8 pin mobo connector

also, after you shutdown the PC and the PSU turns off, why would the tempreture incress if the heat production has stoped? the air would get warmer yes but the componets them selves should get cooler not hotter.

Last edited:
Processor Intel Core i5 8400
Motherboard Gigabyte Z370N-Wifi
Cooling Silverstone AR05
Memory Micron Crucial 16GB DDR4-2400
Video Card(s) Gigabyte GTX1080 G1 Gaming 8G
Storage Micron Crucial MX300 275GB
Display(s) Dell U2415
Case Silverstone RVZ02B
Power Supply Silverstone SSR-SX550
Keyboard Ducky One Red Switch
Software Windows 10 Pro 1909
System Name Kaos Performance "Studio V3"
Processor i7 940 & 4.20 Ghz. stays very cool.
Motherboard ASUS P6X58D Premium on water.
Cooling Swiftech GTX, 2 x Fesser rads.
Memory 12 gigs Corsair
Video Card(s) 2 x EVGA 460 Gtx on water. Only to run multi monitors and NEC lfd.
Storage 2 Intel SSD for OS and programs. 8 WD Tera drives raid 5
Display(s) 3 x 30" Dell, 1 70" NEC P701-AVT LFD.
Case Raxx's 10U rack unit X 2. One for pc and cooling, one for studio gear.
Audio Device(s) M auidio in and out, split to Tube pres, AB split, and 48 channel Mackie.
Power Supply Antec quattro 1200, Seasonic 650, Power conditioner, Generac NG back-up generator.
Software Win Xp-Win 7. Lots of DAW software & plugins.
Benchmark Scores Not a Bench machine only OC'd cuz it's in my blood. This is boarderline over-kill for my needs, but
also, after you shutdown the PC and the PSU turns off, why would the tempreture incress if the heat production has stoped? the air would get warmer yes but the componets them selves should get cooler not hotter.

Actually, this is the opposite. Say you are maxing out your pc with a very demanding app. or game. When you shut down you have effectively stopped all cooling of your hottest components. This, is the time when your pc ( Components and case ) get their hottest.
They sell a little Fan plug in that I have been installing in gaming pc's for years to keep your heat sink and a couple fans going for upto 30 sec. after shut down.
I had a link to this story somewhere- if i find it I'll post it. Although, they where primarily talking about water cooled pc's and the benefits of running the pump and rad for a minute or so after heavy load.
This has been done before on other PSU's.

T

Taskforce

At this point no other power supply matters to me, i just want a Corsair AX please.

System Name The wifes worst enemy
Processor i5-9600k
Motherboard Asrock z390 phantom gaming 4
Cooling water
Memory 16gb G.skill ripjaw DDR4 2400 4X4GB 15-15-15-35-2T
Video Card(s) Asrock 5600xt phantom gaming 6gb 14gb/s
Storage crucial M500 120GB SSD, Pny 256GB SSD, seagate 750GB, seagate 2TB HDD, WD blue 1TB 2.5" HDD
Display(s) 27 inch samsung @ 1080p but capable of much more ;)
Case Corsair AIR 540 Cube Mid tower
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply EVGA GQ1000W MODULAR
Mouse generic for now
Keyboard generic for now
Software gotta love steam, origin etc etc
Benchmark Scores http://hwbot.org/user/philbrown_23/
im not really impressed personlly the newer gold lines from other manufacturers have me more impressed

System Name Dust Collector
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 3600X
Motherboard Asus B550I Aorus Pro WiFi AX
Cooling Alpenfohn Black Ridge V2 w/ Noctua NF-A9x14
Memory Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4 3200MHz/CL16
Video Card(s) Power Color Red Dragon RX 5700 XT
Storage Samsung EVO+ 500GB NVMe
Display(s) Dell S2721DGF
Case Dan Case A4
Power Supply Corsair SF600 Platinum
Mouse Logitech G603
Keyboard Logitech G613
This might be my new PSU, I'm digging the color scheme.

Processor Intel Core i3-8100
Motherboard ASRock H370 Pro4
Cooling Cryorig M9i
Memory 16GB G.Skill Aegis DDR4-2400
Video Card(s) Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1060 WindForce OC 3GB
Storage Crucial MX500 512GB SSD
Display(s) Dell S2316M LCD
Case Fractal Design Define R4 Black Pearl
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC892
Power Supply Corsair CX600M
Mouse Logitech M500
Keyboard Lenovo KB1021 USB
Software Windows 10 Professional x64

Look at it this way: When you turn off your car, does the engine suddenly get cooler? No. There is a lot of residual heat in the engine, and no more air is flowing around it to dissipate the heat. It actually gets hotter for a while after you stop. This is why the cooling fan in some cars run for a minute or two after you pull the key out of the ignition.

The components in your power supply are still quite warm after you turn off your computer. A little extra cooling after power-down can't hurt.

Phxprovost

Xtreme Refugee
System Name Result of Boredom
Processor AMD FX-6350
Motherboard ASUS M5A97
Cooling Enzo Tech Extreme-X
Memory 16gb ddr3
Video Card(s) XFX R9 290
Display(s) Asus 24in (1920X1080) X 2 @144hz
Case NZXT S340
Software WIN7 64bit HP
Why do you need 24-pin ATX to be modular? Are you not going to need that connector in your system?

maybe i want to change the sleeving, having it modular would make it a hell of alot easier :toast:

Memory 12 gigs Corsair
Video Card(s) 2 x EVGA 460 Gtx on water. Only to run multi monitors and NEC lfd.
Audio Device(s) M auidio in and out, split to Tube pres, AB split, and 48 channel Mackie.
Power Supply Antec quattro 1200, Seasonic 650, Power conditioner, Generac NG back-up generator.
Benchmark Scores Not a Bench machine only OC'd cuz it's in my blood. This is boarderline over-kill for my needs, but
Look at it this way: When you turn off your car, does the engine suddenly get cooler? No. There is a lot of residual heat in the engine, and no more air is flowing around it to dissipate the heat. It actually gets hotter for a while after you stop. This is why the cooling fan in some cars run for a minute or two after you pull the key out of the ignition.

The components in your power supply are still quite warm after you turn off your computer. A little extra cooling after power-down can't hurt.

Thank you,
Your analogy is much easier for someone to understand.

Peace.....

System Name MRCOMP!
Processor 5800X3D
Cooling Corsair 280 AIO
Memory 64GB 3600mhz
Video Card(s) GTX3060
Storage 1TB SSD
Display(s) Samsung Neo
Power Supply Antec 650w

no it dosnt, how would it get hotter? yes you have shutdown the cooling. but there is also not more heat being made. it cant get hotter if its not creating heat !. your not burning fuel so thre is no more heat source, it cant get hotter.

your right it wont get cooler but it cant get hotter.

System Name Dust Collector
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 3600X
Motherboard Asus B550I Aorus Pro WiFi AX
Cooling Alpenfohn Black Ridge V2 w/ Noctua NF-A9x14
Memory Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4 3200MHz/CL16
Video Card(s) Power Color Red Dragon RX 5700 XT
Storage Samsung EVO+ 500GB NVMe
Display(s) Dell S2721DGF
Case Dan Case A4
Power Supply Corsair SF600 Platinum
Mouse Logitech G603
Keyboard Logitech G613
no it dosnt, how would it get hotter? yes you have shutdown the cooling. but there is also not more heat being made. it cant get hotter if its not creating heat !. your not burning fuel so thre is no more heat source, it cant get hotter.

It'll get cooler, that's what passive heatsinks are for.

It can, and it WILL get hotter if car's radiator fan didn't keep on turning after engine shut off. If you drive and park your car under Sun in a very hot place, that's what will happen. It doesn't always have to create heat to get hotter. As the engine is already hot, breaking down your car and taking it's key out of it will put your engine in it's hottest condition. Once created heat goes away by itself or with the help of vent, then your motor cools down since there isn't any heat left in it.

It'll get cooler, that's what passive heatsinks are for.

There's no passive HS in a PSU unless it's a fanless unit. PSU's fan makes those aluminum blocks you see in power supplies active. Once it turns off instantly, right after putting your PC at full load, your components are gonna get even hotter. Thereby you're better off keeping your fan on till your PSU totally cools down, then turn it off.

Kaos and Static Charge are right, what Thermaltake did with this unit is not just marketing. It's better for PSU.

p30n

They sell a little Fan plug in that I have been installing in gaming pc's for years to keep your heat sink and a couple fans going for upto 30 sec. after shut down.

Can you tell us more about this fan plug and where one can get it?

System Name MRCOMP!
Processor 5800X3D
Cooling Corsair 280 AIO
Memory 64GB 3600mhz
Video Card(s) GTX3060
Storage 1TB SSD
Display(s) Samsung Neo
Power Supply Antec 650w
It can, and it WILL get hotter if car's radiator fan didn't keep on turning after engine shut off. If you drive and park your car under Sun in a very hot place, that's what will happen. It doesn't always have to create heat to get hotter. As the engine is already hot, breaking down your car and taking it's key out of it will put your engine in it's hottest condition. Once created heat goes away by itself or with the help of vent, then your motor cools down since there isn't any heat left in it.

your adding heat to the car from the sun. the sun will not heat up a PSU. where is this extra heat coming from?

if you stop the heat production it cant get hotter.

it really doesnt matter. they're skewing the results.

All this means is that their PSU with the delay will cool down to ambient quicker... which doesnt really mean anything. the PSU was operating at those temps, so how is it going to harm it?

heat production simply doesnt continue with the system off, so the temps dont increase on the HARDWARE, but the *air* in the PSU case might - heat is still leaving the PSU components and travelling into the air, but not being pushed out of the enclosure. so the PSU itself is cooling down quite nicely, its the air that isnt.

If you dont get how that works, think of it this way: your bladder is full of hot, steaming urine. you take a piss. suddenly, the toilet waters temperature rose. OH NO. but you (the source of the heat) just dumped a ton of heat out of you... so you're cooler. its just the area around you that got warmed up.

dont forget that sudden changes in temp causes expansion/contraction, which is what slowly kills hardware by cracking solder joins and so on. IMO its best to let it slowly cool down over a minute or two, than their method.

link to thread http://forums.techpowerup.com/showthread.php?t=124020

Last edited:
Memory 12 gigs Corsair

Wile E

Power User
System Name The ClusterF**k
Processor 980X @ 4Ghz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5 BIOS F12
Cooling MCR-320, DDC-1 pump w/Bitspower res top (1/2" fittings), Koolance CPU-360
Memory 3x2GB Mushkin Redlines 1600Mhz 6-8-6-24 1T
Video Card(s) Evga GTX 580
Storage Corsair Neutron GTX 240GB, 2xSeagate 320GB RAID0; 2xSeagate 3TB; 2xSamsung 2TB; Samsung 1.5TB
Display(s) HP LP2475w 24" 1920x1200 IPS
Case Technofront Bench Station
Audio Device(s) Auzentech X-Fi Forte into Onkyo SR606 and Polk TSi200's + RM6750
Power Supply ENERMAX Galaxy EVO EGX1250EWT 1250W
Software Win7 Ultimate N x64, OSX 10.8.4

The only thing I can think of, is to make a custom length one without the need to splice, solder, or use extensions.

cdawall

where the hell are my stars
System Name All the cores
Processor 2990WX
Motherboard Asrock X399M
Cooling CPU-XSPC RayStorm Neo, 2x240mm+360mm, D5PWM+140mL, GPU-2x360mm, 2xbyski, D4+D5+100mL
Memory 4x16GB G.Skill 3600
Video Card(s) (2) EVGA SC BLACK 1080Ti's
Storage 2x Samsung SM951 512GB, Samsung PM961 512GB
Display(s) Dell UP2414Q 3840X2160@60hz
Case Caselabs Mercury S5+pedestal
Audio Device(s) Fischer HA-02->Fischer FA-002W High edition/FA-003/Jubilate/FA-011 depending on my mood
Power Supply Seasonic Prime 1200w
Mouse Thermaltake Theron, Steam controller
Keyboard Keychron K8
Software W10P
after your PC shuts off hold your hand on the PSU after a high load it will stay warm from residual heat. no it will not output more heat since the components no longer have a current running through them. the fan staying on will help dissipate residual heat faster there is no harm in it why complain?

Wile E

Power User
System Name The ClusterF**k
Processor 980X @ 4Ghz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5 BIOS F12
Cooling MCR-320, DDC-1 pump w/Bitspower res top (1/2" fittings), Koolance CPU-360
Memory 3x2GB Mushkin Redlines 1600Mhz 6-8-6-24 1T
Video Card(s) Evga GTX 580
Storage Corsair Neutron GTX 240GB, 2xSeagate 320GB RAID0; 2xSeagate 3TB; 2xSamsung 2TB; Samsung 1.5TB
Display(s) HP LP2475w 24" 1920x1200 IPS
Case Technofront Bench Station
Audio Device(s) Auzentech X-Fi Forte into Onkyo SR606 and Polk TSi200's + RM6750
Power Supply ENERMAX Galaxy EVO EGX1250EWT 1250W
Software Win7 Ultimate N x64, OSX 10.8.4
after your PC shuts off hold your hand on the PSU after a high load it will stay warm from residual heat. no it will not output more heat since the components no longer have a current running through them. the fan staying on will help dissipate residual heat faster there is no harm in it why complain?

It won't produce more heat, but just like in a car, that heat can soak back into the components without the fan moving the air to let it escape. Turbo timier were invented to combat this exact situation in cars. It's a very common, well known happening. The fan staying on is a good thing.