• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Selecting sub-fora to appear in "new posts"

T

twilyth

Is there a way to have the 'new posts' function show only threads from those sub-fora that you select?

So if one day I only wanted to see what was new for news and graphics and memory, is there any way I could tell the system to only show me threads from those sections when I hit 'new posts'?

If not, would it be very difficult to add that sort of functionality.

I'm asking mainly because there seem to be a lot of FS/WTB threads and while it's fun to browse sometimes, I don't really want to see them all of the time. There are also other areas I'm not all that interested in.

What would be even better is if you could have 2 buttons - one to show you everything new from every section and another that would only show threads from your customized list.

I know this next idea is probably pushing it, but if we ever got something like that set up, maybe we could reintegrate GNU back into TPU since people could easily screen it out, whatever traffic that area got wouldn't be annoying to the people who weren't interested.

I know that's not likely and it's not part of my suggestion, but it could work I think.

System Name Black Panther
Processor i9 9900k
Motherboard Gigabyte Z390 AORUS PRO Wifi 1.0
Cooling NZXT Kraken X72 360mm
Memory 2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro DDR4 3600Mhz
Video Card(s) Palit RTX2080 Ti Dual 11GB DDR6
Storage Samsung EVO 970 500GB SSD M.2 & 2TB Seagate Barracuda 7200rpm
Display(s) 32'' Gigabyte G32QC 2560x1440 165Hz
Case NZXT H710i Black
Audio Device(s) Razer Electra V2 & Z5500 Speakers
Power Supply Seasonic Focus GX-850 Gold 80+
Mouse Some Corsair lost the box forgot the model
Keyboard Motospeed
Software Windows 10
Is there a way to have the 'new posts' function show only threads from those sub-fora that you select?

Subscribe to the threads you intended to select? You can do that and also receive an email notification for them.

T

twilyth

I probably didn't describe what meant very well.

Let's say you want to see all 'new posts' but only from threads in "General Hardware", "Storage" and "Games"

So in addition to the 'new posts' button that shows you everything, there would me a second, let's call it 'my new posts' button, that would only show you threads from the sub-forums (like general hardware for example) that you have selected.

So in my example, somewhere under my control panel, there would be a list of all of the sub-forums or sub-topics on the forum. When you check one of these off, any threads that are started in that area will show up when you click on 'my new posts' and threads that are started in all other areas (that you have not selected) will NOT show up.

It really should just involve making the selection criteria (sql "select" clause I guess) dynamically modifiable.

And of course you have to have a table in each user profile to record the selections.

I don't know if that makes it any clearer.

Thanks.

T

twilyth

necro alert.

I don't know if I ever really explained what I wanted to see with this thread, but I'll try to explain it again if I didn't communicate adequately.

To summarize, can we get a custom search that would be just like 'new posts' but would ignore certain forums we want to ignore.

For example, I'm not at all interested in for sale threads, but when I use 'new posts', sometimes a third of any given page can be threads selling stuff. It would be very useful to be able to ignore posts to that forum.

I've been on other sites that have that feature and I thought it was an option on v.bulletin so it should only be a matter of either purchasing the option or turning it on. thanks.

System Name Benny
Processor Phenom II 1055t @ 3.3GHz; 300x11; 1.380v; NB 2700; HT 2400
Motherboard ASUS Crosshair IV Formula (2002 BIOS)
Cooling Thermalright TRUE 120 Black + 2 Xilence Red Wing PWM 120mm (push/pull) + polycarbonate fan holders
Memory 8GB GeIL Ultra 2133MHZ C9 running at 1600MHz @ 7-7-7-21 1T 1.5v
Video Card(s) MSI Twin Frozr II GTX470 @ Stock w/CPU fan cable-tied on, as one of the GPU fans broke.
Storage 60GB OCZ Agility3 (OS);500GB WDC Grn; 1x1TB WDC Blk (Backup)
Display(s) ASUS PA823Q
Case Silverstone Raven 2 (all cables custom sleeved with velcro mod on side panel...)
Audio Device(s) X-Fi (Onboard) + Harmon Kardon HK6100 amp powering JVC HA-RX700's with Zalman mic
Power Supply Corsair HX650W
Software Win7 Pro x64
Benchmark Scores No benchies so making this space useful! Corsair M90, Logitech G19. Phobya FlexLight LED's (gawjus)
I've seen a setting like this on "other places" that use vbulletin.

Shouldn't be too hard for a magician to implement. Or a W1zzard :laugh:

T

twilyth

Bumpity bump bump

Frick

Fishfaced Nincompoop
System Name Black MC in Tokyo
Processor Ryzen 5 5600
Motherboard Asrock B450M-HDV
Cooling Be Quiet! Pure Rock 2
Memory 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury 3400mhz
Video Card(s) XFX 6950XT Speedster MERC 319
Storage Kingston A400 240GB | WD Black SN750 2TB |WD Blue 1TB x 2 | Toshiba P300 2TB | Seagate Expansion 8TB
Display(s) Samsung U32J590U 4K + BenQ GL2450HT 1080p
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Audio Device(s) Line6 UX1 + some headphones, Nektar SE61 keyboard
Power Supply Corsair RM850x v3
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Cherry MX Board 1.0 TKL Brown
VR HMD Acer Mixed Reality Headset
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Rimworld 4K ready!
I was actually thinking about this the other day. I'm all for it.

System Name RyzenGtEvo/ Asus strix scar II
Processor Amd R5 5900X/ Intel 8750H
Motherboard Crosshair hero8 impact/Asus
Cooling 360EK extreme rad+ 360$EK slim all push, cpu ek suprim Gpu full cover all EK
Memory Corsair Vengeance Rgb pro 3600cas14 16Gb in four sticks./16Gb/16GB
Video Card(s) Powercolour RX7900XT Reference/Rtx 2060
Storage Silicon power 2TB nvme/8Tb external/1Tb samsung Evo nvme 2Tb sata ssd/1Tb nvme
Display(s) Samsung UAE28"850R 4k freesync.dell shiter
Case Lianli 011 dynamic/strix scar2
Audio Device(s) Xfi creative 7.1 on board ,Yamaha dts av setup, corsair void pro headset
Power Supply corsair 1200Hxi/Asus stock
Mouse Roccat Kova/ Logitech G wireless
Keyboard Roccat Aimo 120
VR HMD Oculus rift
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores 8726 vega 3dmark timespy/ laptop Timespy 6506
Subscribe to the threads you intended to select? You can do that and also receive an email notification for them.

if user CP worked in any way reliably,and retained subbed entiries etc it might be useable to this affect,if it mearly had a ""+ news option"", i agree with op too:)