• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Fan Problem on GTX 460 Reference model Need Help.

System Name My Gaming System
Processor Intel i7 4770k @ 4.4 Ghz
Motherboard Asus Maximus VI Impact (ITX)
Cooling Custom Full System Water cooling Loop
Memory G.Skill 1866 Mhz Sniper 8 Gb
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 780 ti SC
Storage Samsung SSD EVO 120GB - Samsung SSD EVO 500GB
Display(s) ASUS W246H - 24" - widescreen TFT active matrix LCD
Case Bitfenix Prodigy
Power Supply Corsair AX760 Modular PSU
Software Windows 8.1 Home Primeum
Okay so I turned my computer on this morning and I hear a CLICK CLICK CLICK. I right away could tell it was a fan so I turned my computer off right away.

After I turned it off. I shook the computer a little bit expecting a loose screw to come out or something.

Nothing at all. So... since I noticed the noise when my Video cards fans spun up.... I went directly for them next.

At first I overlooked it but....after examining it closer.... I saw it. On one of my GTX 460 SC's one of the Fan blades was a little out of place and had a crack in it.

So needless to say I tried moving it back a little to see how bad it was. Well I shouldn't have done that...because it cracked the rest of the way off.

Now to most people this wouldn't matter because even with most of the blades on this fan.... it will still work well enough to cool the unit. But me because I overclock everything quite a bit I can't have this happen.

So the only reasons I can think of this happening is because of the closeness of my cards on the motherboard in SLI. Because of that the top card fan got caught on the bottom cards back brace and broke.

Or another option I have is that the fan was cracked to begin with.

Either way Evga is now saying "Sure we will RMA it" "But it might cost you more money" Which I personally think is quite stupid considering.... I put the cards in my case and that was it. There should have been no way for it to get broken.

But I also wanted to post this for a couple of reasons.

1. I was planning to sell these cards next week. If there was someone interested in this one for a really discounted price please feel free to PM me. Otherwise I will RMA it and not post the cards in my upcoming sale.

2. I wanted to point this design flaw in the reference GTX 460's fan. I appears that the middle fan hangs down lower then the Plastic sheath on the body of the card. So if you have two GTX 460's close running in SLI There is a real chance of breaking off a fan blade like I did.

I don't mean to be a pessimist but I am pretty sure the RMA will go as follows. "EVGA has found this problem to be user error. So if you want the fan Fixed and your RMA to be completed please pay "X" amount of dollars and then "X" Amount for shipping back.

3. If there are any after-market solutions that are out there for GTX 460's that will for sure work. I would very grateful to hear them now. I have already tried seeing if I can just order another fan from EVGA. They don't have one so that is out of the question. But if there are any after market HSF's that will for sure fit the GTX 460 please let me know.

But If any brand would help out with this it would definitely be EVGA. They do have the best Customer Service!

Here are some pics proving my point....
Damage

Way my Rig is normally

Picture of the Gap

Pic Of the culprit Possibly

Pics Of how low the fans sit.

So are my theories here correct? If so any thoughts besides RMA to get it fixed?

Thanks

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    178.1 KB · Views: 526
  • IMG_2125 2.jpg
    IMG_2125 2.jpg
    195.1 KB · Views: 492
  • IMG_2127 2.jpg
    IMG_2127 2.jpg
    178.5 KB · Views: 491
  • IMG_2129 2.jpg
    IMG_2129 2.jpg
    196.3 KB · Views: 515
  • IMG_2134 2.jpg
    IMG_2134 2.jpg
    141.1 KB · Views: 513
  • IMG_2136 2.jpg
    IMG_2136 2.jpg
    150 KB · Views: 508
Last edited:

wolf

Performance Enthusiast
System Name MightyX
Processor Ryzen 5800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X570 I Aorus Pro WiFi
Cooling Scythe Fuma 2
Memory 32GB DDR4 3600 CL16
Video Card(s) Asus TUF RTX3080 Deshrouded
Storage WD Black SN850X 2TB
Display(s) LG 42C2 4K OLED
Case Coolermaster NR200P
Audio Device(s) LG SN5Y / Focal Clear
Power Supply Corsair SF750 Platinum
Mouse Corsair Dark Core RBG Pro SE
Keyboard Glorious GMMK Compact w/pudding
VR HMD Meta Quest 3
Software case populated with Artic P12's
Benchmark Scores 4k120 OLED Gsync bliss
you make an interesting point about how low the fan blades come down when the card is face down, which will be in most setups i think...

Personally I'd RMA the card to EVGA and link them to this post, from what I've heard they are excellent when it comes to honoring warranties and this hardly seems like your fault, it seems like the bad luck of the cards being so close on your particular motherboard and the fan blades hanging lower than the cooler shroud.

I guess its a good thing that so many board partners are releasing the GTX460 with their own cooler, they too might have thought 'gee this stock cooler is a bit...meh'

Case Bitfenix Prodigy
you make an interesting point about how low the fan blades come down when the card is face down, which will be in most setups i think...

Personally I'd RMA the card to EVGA and link them to this post, from what I've heard they are excellent when it comes to honoring warranties and this hardly seems like your fault, it seems like the bad luck of the cards being so close on your particular motherboard and the fan blades hanging lower than the cooler shroud.

I guess its a good thing that so many board partners are releasing the GTX460 with their own cooler, they too might have thought 'gee this stock cooler is a bit...meh'

You make some logical thoughts. As you can see my argument is very logical. SO thanks for the input I probably will end up doing that.

You know another funny thing I just realized too. It's not like they could use the excuse "well it's not our motherboard and that's why" Because LOL I am even using a EVGA Motherboard.

I hear that the stock/aftermarket cooler's for the 88** series will fit due to hole placement, however you will then need to cool the RAM/VRM.

Case Bitfenix Prodigy
I hear that the stock/aftermarket cooler's for the 88** series will fit due to hole placement, however you will then need to cool the RAM/VRM.

Yeah I have read mixed reviews on that. Some say yes they do and some say no they don't.

But as far as the RAM/VRM's that is one thing I wouldn't need. Because the GTX 460's don't come with any to begin with.

wolf

Performance Enthusiast
System Name MightyX
Processor Ryzen 5800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X570 I Aorus Pro WiFi
Cooling Scythe Fuma 2
Memory 32GB DDR4 3600 CL16
Video Card(s) Asus TUF RTX3080 Deshrouded
Storage WD Black SN850X 2TB
Display(s) LG 42C2 4K OLED
Case Coolermaster NR200P
Audio Device(s) LG SN5Y / Focal Clear
Power Supply Corsair SF750 Platinum
Mouse Corsair Dark Core RBG Pro SE
Keyboard Glorious GMMK Compact w/pudding
VR HMD Meta Quest 3
Software case populated with Artic P12's
Benchmark Scores 4k120 OLED Gsync bliss
You make some logical thoughts. As you can see my argument is very logical. SO thanks for the input I probably will end up doing that.

very logical, it really seems like either that blade was weak to begin with, or it hanging lower has hit on the bottom card.

keep in mind you won't be able to break off that fin and keep using the fan as is, because the fan has an odd amount of fan blades. As a temp solution you might be able to completely remove the stock fan, and use this card as the bottom one in SLi with a standard case fan pointed at the cooler, however you then risk the same thing happening to the other card when it's on top.

Yeah I have read mixed reviews on that. Some say yes they do and some say no they don't.

But as far as the RAM/VRM's that is one thing I wouldn't need. Because the GTX 460's don't come with any to begin with.

Maybe so, but as you mentioned you do do a lot of overclocking... cooling on the RAM/VRM is a must for anyone overclocking to reasonable lengths.

Case Bitfenix Prodigy
very logical, it really seems like either that blade was weak to begin with, or it hanging lower has hit on the bottom card.

keep in mind you won't be able to break off that fin and keep using the fan as is, because the fan has an odd amount of fan blades. As a temp solution you might be able to completely remove the stock fan, and use this card as the bottom one in SLi with a standard case fan pointed at the cooler, however you then risk the same thing happening to the other card when it's on top.

Yeah... that is true.... I think I might try to talk them into exchanging these cards for the EE version. But I doubt they will do that unless the same thing happens twice.

So what I am hoping for that this is just a freak occurrence.

Maybe so, but as you mentioned you do do a lot of overclocking... cooling on the RAM/VRM is a must for anyone overclocking to reasonable lengths.

LOL Ohh I see what you mean. Yeah actually it's funny you mentioned that. I totally forgot that I had some VRM/RAM sinks on the way for these from New Egg already anyway. I even made a post about getting those earlier.

Lethalrise750

System Name Dark Knight
Processor Intel Core i7 2600K @ 4.8GHz 1.37v
Motherboard Asus P8P67 Pro
Cooling Coolermaster Hyper 212+ Push/Pull
Memory DDR3-1600 G.Skill
Video Card(s) MSI GTX 460 HAWK Talon 1G + Asus DirectCU GTX 460 1G
Storage Mushkin Callisto Deluxe 120GB SSD
Power Supply Corsair 750TX

I've only heard Palit's and Gainwards GTX 460s will work with G92 Heatsinks. All of the others holes are spaced too far apart.

I've only heard Palit's and Gainwards GTX 460s will work with G92 Heatsinks. All of the others holes are spaced too far apart.

Thanks for that! I didn't know which model's fitted and what didn't :toast:

Case Bitfenix Prodigy

Yeah I thought that is what I heard as well... but I wasn't sure.

theonedub

habe fidem
System Name Erakith || AsRock NUCS
Processor AMD ThreadRipper 2990WX ES (32c/64t 3.5ghz@1.02v) || Intel i7 1360P Raptor Lake-P
Motherboard MSI X399 MEG Creation || AsRock OE
Cooling EK Supremacy TR4 Full Nickel, D5 w/ EK Top, 2X EK-CoolStream XTX 360 & Photon 270 Res || OE
Memory 32GB (4x8GB) Corsair Vengeance PRO RGB DDR4 3000|| 2x16GB Corsair DDR4
Video Card(s) Vega 64 EK FC|| Intel Iris Xe
Storage 250gb WD Black NVMe & (2) 2TB Intel 660p NVMe || 2TB Corsair MP600 Pro
Display(s) 34" Dell Ultrasharp U3415W
Case CaseLabs Merlin SM8 || Aluminum Unibody
Power Supply Corsair HX1000
Mouse Corsair Harpoon Wireless RGB
Keyboard Corsair Strafe RGB w/ Cherry MX Silent
Software Windows 10 Pro x64 || WIndows 11 Pro x64
Benchmark Scores WCG & F@H Only
Hmmmm how reduced are we talking? :D

Hmmmm how reduced are we talking? :D

You really should PM him and see what damage you can do :D

But I think he will keep it and send it for RMA and fight for his rights, which clearly he is in the right, this isn't his fault.

3volvedcombat

System Name My Computer
Processor Core 2 Q9550 4Ghz 1.23volts
Motherboard Gigabyte
Cooling Corsair
Memory OCZ
Video Card(s) Galaxy
Storage Western Digital
Display(s) Acer
Case Lian li
Audio Device(s) Asus
Power Supply Corsiar
Software Microsoft
Benchmark Scores 25,000 3dmark06 at 4.35Ghz processor, 835core card!
I was going to say- if 1 of the blades go off.
It wouldn't just affect overclockability.

The fan would become unbalanced.

It'll vibrate your PC to pieces

Or slowly degrade the fan bearing 10 times quicker then usual.

So I dont know- Buy a new heatsink of evga when they come up?

Or fix it some how.

Case Bitfenix Prodigy
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF x670e
Cooling EK AIO 360. Phantek T30 fans.
Memory 32GB G.Skill 6000Mhz
Video Card(s) Asus RTX 4090
Storage WD m.2
Display(s) LG C2 Evo OLED 42"
Case Lian Li PC 011 Dynamic Evo
Audio Device(s) Topping E70 DAC, SMSL SP200 Headphone Amp.
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti PRO 1000W
Mouse Razer Basilisk V3 Pro
Keyboard Tester84
Software Windows 11
I shouldn't need to remind you again, not to sell things out of the wrong forum. If you want to sell something, please make a thread in the B/S/T forum. That's not saying I think you were actually trying to do so though. I understand you're just covering your bases. :) Have you asked them just to send you a new fan so you don't have to ship the card away?

Case Bitfenix Prodigy
I shouldn't need to remind you again, not to sell things out of the wrong forum. If you want to sell something, please make a thread in the B/S/T forum. That's not saying I think you were actually trying to do so though. I understand you're just covering your bases. :) Have you asked them just to send you a new fan so you don't have to ship the card away?

Of course Erocker :) I am not trying to sell here. But with the other post I had up and that I was planning to announce it this week. I wanted people to know who were looking that there was a problem.

All selling will be held to PM's and B/S/T

This more is for the stated above reason.... and I really want help to figure this problem out.

As well as I want to warn people about this "Could Be low fan Problem" So that they keep their eyes open and don't have the same problem I had.

But thanks for the reminder :toast:

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF x670e
Cooling EK AIO 360. Phantek T30 fans.
Memory 32GB G.Skill 6000Mhz
Video Card(s) Asus RTX 4090
Storage WD m.2
Display(s) LG C2 Evo OLED 42"
Case Lian Li PC 011 Dynamic Evo
Audio Device(s) Topping E70 DAC, SMSL SP200 Headphone Amp.
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti PRO 1000W
Mouse Razer Basilisk V3 Pro
Keyboard Tester84
Software Windows 11
Yeah man, that is just poor fan design. Too much movement on the shaft and it needs to be addressed by the manufacturer. There's no way it should be sticking out of the shroud like that.

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Processor Intel Core i7 10850K@5.2GHz
Motherboard AsRock Z470 Taichi
Cooling Corsair H115i Pro w/ Noctua NF-A14 Fans
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Video Card(s) RTX 2070 Super
Storage 500GB SX8200 Pro + 8TB with 1TB SSD Cache
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG280K 4K 28"
Case Fractal Design Define S
Audio Device(s) Onboard is good enough for me
Power Supply eVGA SuperNOVA 1000w G3
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
Here is the thing with the stock GTX460 shroud.

On the GTX460 I have, yes the fan sticks out of the shroud. However, the fan does not stick down beyond the second PCI slot, but the shroud actually dips in to expose part of the fan(seems like a stupid design idea, but not a flawed one like the OP makes it seem). If the shroud was flat on top it, the fan would not stick out. In fact if you take a straight edge and put it on the two high points of the shroud at the front and back of the card, the straight edge will not touch the fan.

Now, the doesn't mean the weight of the card won't bow the card down enough that the fan will touch the bracket on the other card, but it isn't because the fan sticks out beyond the shroud.

The way I see it, the fan blade was probably just damage when the card left the factory and it was never caught because it wasn't noticeable, and as you used the card the crack got worse and finally the blade failed.

What is even more interesting is that W1z just had a problem similar to this in one of his GTX460 reviews, but it was the Palit with a custom cooler. I wonder if the manufactuers aren't just using cheaper fans, with weaker plastic on this cards to try and save money...

Last edited:
Case Bitfenix Prodigy
Here is the thing with the stock GTX460 shroud.

On the GTX460 I have, yes the fan sticks out of the shroud. However, the fan does not stick down beyond the second PCI slot, but the shroud actually dips in to expose part of the fan(seems like a stupid design idea, but not a flawed one like the OP makes it seem). If the shroud was flat on top it, the fan would not stick out. In fact if you take a straight edge and put it on the two high points of the shroud at the front and back of the card, the straight edge will not touch the fan.

Now, the doesn't mean the weight of the card won't bow the card down enough that the fan will touch the bracket on the other card, but it isn't because the fan sticks out beyond the shroud.

The way I see it, the fan blade was probably just damage when the card left the factory and it was never caught because it wasn't noticeable, and as you used the card the crack got worse and finally the blade failed.

What is even more interesting is that W1z just had a problem similar to this in one of his GTX460 reviews, but it was the Palit with a custom cooler. I wonder if the manufactuers aren't just using cheaper fans, with weaker plastic on this cards to try and save money...

Hmm... Interesting. Yeah I noticed the dip too. That is why I said "It could be because of it" But see when I looked directly from the side on mine the fan did dip down just below the shroud.

Between that and the Back brace on the back of the other card.... those two things just probably made all the difference.

Out of curiosity.... does your back brace stick up a little further then most cards?

But even if that is not the problem.... your other idea is probably very true. Meaning there is a very good chance that Quality missed that coming from the factory.

Right now I work at a company in a CELL pattern that does just that. Makes computers. I know with so many coming through the line in a day.... your eyes have trouble catching everything.

That is also interesting that Wizz had the same problem. You know.... That is the 3rd problem I have heard like this today after mentioning mine. Not only to people here but after looking for the problem on Google.

The other problem cards were Galaxy and a Sparkle. The Galaxy is a non reference design and the Sparkle was a reference design. So the sparkle was the exact same design I have with the Sparkle branding of course.

But thanks for the input.... I think I might... link EVGA to this Thread among the others I have found. To show "Hey I ain't the only one"
:toast:

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Processor Intel Core i7 10850K@5.2GHz
Motherboard AsRock Z470 Taichi
Cooling Corsair H115i Pro w/ Noctua NF-A14 Fans
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Video Card(s) RTX 2070 Super
Storage 500GB SX8200 Pro + 8TB with 1TB SSD Cache
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG280K 4K 28"
Case Fractal Design Define S
Audio Device(s) Onboard is good enough for me
Power Supply eVGA SuperNOVA 1000w G3
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
Yes, the back plate does seem to stick up a little higher than normal due to the spacer to put pressure on the PCB.

Case Bitfenix Prodigy
Yes, the back plate does seem to stick up a little higher than normal due to the spacer to put pressure on the PCB.

Alright I don't know how to take that then..... maybe it's bad news all around or I was hoping I was just a unlucky case of this happening.

I don't know we will see what EVGA has to say.

I am going to call them again tomorrow. And link them to this. So at least they can see the pics and they are on my record before I send it back. Then I will send the pics with the card.