• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

The need for SLI/CFX

System Name Micro Mule
Processor Intel i7 950 Stock + Noctua NH-C14
Motherboard Asus Rampage III Gene MicroATX
Cooling Noctua 120mm/80m Fans
Memory Crucial Ballistix 6GB DDR3 1600MHz
Video Card(s) Asus nVidia GTX 580
Storage Samsung 850 Pro SSD, WD Caviar Black 2TB HDD
Display(s) LG 42LD650 42" LCD HDTV
Case Silverstone Fortress FT03
Audio Device(s) Creative SB X-Fi Titanium HD + Sennheiser PC360 Headset
Power Supply Corsair AX850 - 850W Modular Gold
Software Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit
I believe, yet stand corrected if I am wrong; that at least 90% of gamers don't use SLI/CFX in their gaming rigs. What do you think?

A question for the enthusiasts: at what scaling percentage of games' frame rates does the decision to go with SLI/CFX becomes feasible? is it a heart or mind decision?

System Name New Build - Oct. 2021
Processor Intel i7 10700k
Motherboard Asus TUF Gaming H570-PRO
Cooling Corsair H100i
Memory Corsair Vengence 16gb 3600 mhz
Video Card(s) Gigabyte RTX 3060ti 8gb
Storage 1Tb Samsung 970 EVO NvMe m.2
Display(s) 27" LG Ultragear 144hz
Case Fractal Design- Meshify 2
Audio Device(s) Onborad dts
Power Supply Corsair RX 650 W
Mouse Roccat Kiro
Keyboard Razer Tarantula
Software Windows 10 Home x64
I think multiple card configurations are unnecessary for games nowadays, but I still prefer to use SLI for benchmarks and bragging rights:D

System Name TaichiTig
Processor i7 6800K
Motherboard ASRock X99 Taichi
Memory 32GB DDR4 3200
Video Card(s) RTX 4070
Storage SSD + Misc. HDDs in DrivePool
Display(s) BenQ PD3200U, Samsung C32HG70
Case Antec Twelve Hundred
Audio Device(s) Behringer UMC404HD, LSR308, Shure SRH840, AKG K612, Etymotic HF5
Power Supply Corsair 750TX
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Deck Legend Ice Tactile
Software Win10
There's no simple answer. Sometimes multi-video-card setups are more cost-effective, sometimes they aren't. Sometimes the deciding factor is power consumption or heat output or space. Sometimes it's about availability or about the upgrade path. As for heart vs mind, that varies from person to person too. Some people just think it sounds cool to have a multi-video-card setup. Everyone's needs and perspective are different.

Even if it were as simple as price to performance ratio, the performance varies from GPU to GPU and game to game. This is one of those things that really needs to be considered on a case-by-case basis in order to make the best decision for the particular situation.

System Name New Build - Oct. 2021
Processor Intel i7 10700k
Motherboard Asus TUF Gaming H570-PRO
Cooling Corsair H100i
Memory Corsair Vengence 16gb 3600 mhz
Video Card(s) Gigabyte RTX 3060ti 8gb
Storage 1Tb Samsung 970 EVO NvMe m.2
Display(s) 27" LG Ultragear 144hz
Case Fractal Design- Meshify 2
Audio Device(s) Onborad dts
Power Supply Corsair RX 650 W
Mouse Roccat Kiro
Keyboard Razer Tarantula
Software Windows 10 Home x64
There's no simple answer. Sometimes multi-video-card setups are more cost-effective, sometimes they aren't. Sometimes the deciding factor is power consumption or heat output or space. Sometimes it's about availability or about the upgrade path. As for heart vs mind, that varies from person to person too. Some people just think it sounds cool to have a multi-video-card setup. Everyone's needs and perspective are different.

Even if it were as simple as price to performance ratio, the performance varies from GPU to GPU and game to game. This is one of those things that really needs to be considered on a case-by-case basis in order to make the best decision for the particular situation.

what he said.

System Name Micro Mule

You are 100% right saying that there is no simple answer, I am hoping for a complicated one!

As I've seen multi-GPU setups are seldom cost effective specially if you consider the added power requirement and the additional heat to dissipate/cool since higher capacity PSU's and cooling fans and/or liquid cooling all cost money.

I personally believe that multi-GPU setups are mostly a decision of the heart and not a decision of the mind.

cadaveca

My name is Dave
I started running Crossfire to get performance that couldn't be had with one card. When that met my needs, I stepped up to a Dell 3007WFP back in 2007, and this is the first gen that just two cards are good for 2560x1600. One card is close...but 4xAA really slows alot of apps to the point of not being a good expereince.

Of course, lower detail levels would fix that problem with a single card. I'm just an eyecandy chaser.

JrRacinFan

Served 5k and counting ...
System Name Dual Build Streamer
Processor Ryzen 7900x3d : Ryzen 4600G
Motherboard AsRock B650E Steel Legend : Giga B450i Aorus
Cooling Custom Water 1x420 : Stock
Memory 32GB T-Force Deltas : 16GB Dominator Platinums
Video Card(s) PowerColor 7900 XTX Liquid Devil: iGPU
Storage 20+ TB
Display(s) Sammy 49" 5k Ultrawide
Case Custom White Painted Phanteks Enthoo Pro 2
Audio Device(s) Onboard : Onboard
Power Supply EVGA 1200W P2
Mouse Corsair M65 RGB Elite White
Keyboard Hyperx Origins 65
Software Windows 10
I started running Crossfire to get performance that couldn't be had with one card. When that met my needs, I stepped up to a Dell 3007WFP back in 2007, and this is the first gen that just two cards are good for 2560x1600. One card is close...but 4xAA really slows alot of apps to the point of not being a good expereince.

Of course, lower detail levels would fix that problem with a single card. I'm just an eyecandy chaser.

2560x1600 with 4xAA ...

No offense, but I think you are expecting way too much.

Sorry for the off-topic. SLI/Xfire has 2 uses one is for extreme setups like cadaveca's the other is for price/performance.

System Name Personal / HTPC
Processor Ryzen 5900x / i5-4460
Motherboard Asrock x570 Phantom Gaming 4 /ASRock Z87 Extreme4
Cooling Corsair H100i / stock HSF
Memory 32GB DDR4 3200 / 8GB DDR3 1600
Video Card(s) EVGA XC3 Ultra RTX 3080Ti / EVGA RTX 3060 XC
Storage 500GB Samsung Pro 970, 250 GB SSD, 1TB & 500GB Western Digital / 2x 4TB & 1x 8TB WD Red
Display(s) Dell - S3220DGF 32" LED Curved QHD FreeSync Monitor / 50" LCD TV
Case CoolerMaster HAF XB Evo / CM HAF XB Evo
Power Supply 850W SeaSonic X Series / 750W SeaSonic X Series
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Black Microsoft Natural Elite Keyboard
Software Windows 10 Pro 64 / Windows 10 Home 64
You are 100% right saying that there is no simple answer, I am hoping for a complicated one!

As I've seen multi-GPU setups are seldom cost effective specially if you consider the added power requirement and the additional heat to dissipate/cool since higher capacity PSU's and cooling fans and/or liquid cooling all cost money.

I personally believe that multi-GPU setups are mostly a decision of the heart and not a decision of the mind.

You also have to take into consideration that maybe someone doesn't have the funds for a new, high-end GPU and the GPU they have is a couple years old. It's generally cheaper to find a used 2nd GPU to run in SLI/X-fire (if their MB and PSU allow for such an addition) then it is to drop a chunk of change they either don't have or would put a hurt on them financially.

Like others have said, it comes down to personal preference. I would love to have a single high-end GPU to run my games, but that $400+ dollar range just isn't in my budget - ever.

cadaveca

My name is Dave
2560x1600 with 4xAA ...

No offense, but I think you are expecting way too much.

Maybe.:D But that's what I'm after with Crossfire at this point...2560x1600, with 4xAA, and a minimum of 60FPS(120 at least for 3D).

You can only get that from Crossfire.

wolf

Performance Enthusiast
System Name MightyX
Processor Ryzen 5800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X570 I Aorus Pro WiFi
Cooling Scythe Fuma 2
Memory 32GB DDR4 3600 CL16
Video Card(s) Asus TUF RTX3080 Deshrouded
Storage WD Black SN850X 2TB
Display(s) LG 42C2 4K OLED
Case Coolermaster NR200P
Audio Device(s) LG SN5Y / Focal Clear
Power Supply Corsair SF750 Platinum
Mouse Corsair Dark Core RBG Pro SE
Keyboard Glorious GMMK Compact w/pudding
VR HMD Meta Quest 3
Software case populated with Artic P12's
Benchmark Scores 4k120 OLED Gsync bliss
some people just do it because they can, some want the best, and some don't even plan on it but it ends up happening.

for instance you could go out right now and buy GTX460 SLi for less than the price of a GTX480 and get more performance, but need more power connectors and another pci-e slot. but if those aren't an annoyance to you you may well do it anyway.

some would buy say one card now, and a second in a few months or so because they didn't have the cash to drop on the best single card at the time. this seems to be the way of it for many dual card users. not that many people in total would simply buy two high end cards straight away, unless they are chasing absolute top performance.

for myself and the dual card setup's I've owned, I can say it was a choice based on ultra high in-game framerates (I love a super-responsive first person shooter), a bit of bragging rights, and the need to always be pushing my benchmark scores that little bit higher.

System Name Micro Mule
You also have to take into consideration that maybe someone doesn't have the funds for a new, high-end GPU and the GPU they have is a couple years old. It's generally cheaper to find a used 2nd GPU to run in SLI/X-fire (if their MB and PSU allow for such an addition) then it is to drop a chunk of change they either don't have or would put a hurt on them financially.

Like others have said, it comes down to personal preference. I would love to have a single high-end GPU to run my games, but that $400+ dollar range just isn't in my budget - ever.

Got it, but my concern is feasibility. Just roughly let's assume that a certain person has a two-year old gaming rig built with one mid-range GPU. Now, two years on, the GPU is having difficulty in handling the latest games (i.e. average frame rate of 40 frames/second). If he decides to go for SLI/CFX (given that his motherboard/PSU/Case Cooling can take the extra GPU); the Multi-GPU setup will mostly only yield a scaling of 60% in frame rates, which translates into an average frame rate of 64 frames/second, given that he doesn't experience any micro-stuttering or driver/game compatibility issues. It's just not worth it!

System Name Micro Mule
for myself and the dual card setup's I've owned, I can say it was a choice based on ultra high in-game framerates (I love a super-responsive first person shooter), a bit of bragging rights, and the need to always be pushing my benchmark scores that little bit higher.

... aha, a decision of the heart ...

crazyeyesreaper

Not a Moderator
Staff member
System Name Old reliable
Processor Intel 8700K @ 4.8 GHz
Motherboard MSI Z370 Gaming Pro Carbon AC
Cooling Custom Water
Memory 32 GB Crucial Ballistix 3666 MHz
Video Card(s) MSI GTX 1080 Ti Gaming X
Storage 3x SSDs 2x HDDs
Display(s) Dell U2412M + Samsung TA350
Case Thermaltake Core P3 TG
Audio Device(s) Samson Meteor Mic / Generic 2.1 / KRK KNS 6400 headset
Power Supply Zalman EBT-1000
Mouse Mionix NAOS 7000
Keyboard Mionix
maybe it is maybe it isnt mid range sure but last i checked the good ol 8800gtx / 8800GTS 512 are still kicking in there reincarnated form today offering still very much playable frame rates and in SLi they still dominate every game out aka 8800gts 9800gtx 9800gtx+ gts 250 in sli there still a very potent combo and upgrade choice at around $115 now and with rebates under $99 they can get the job done and then some as has been mentioned its a case by case basis

System Name Personal / HTPC
Processor Ryzen 5900x / i5-4460
Motherboard Asrock x570 Phantom Gaming 4 /ASRock Z87 Extreme4
Cooling Corsair H100i / stock HSF
Memory 32GB DDR4 3200 / 8GB DDR3 1600
Video Card(s) EVGA XC3 Ultra RTX 3080Ti / EVGA RTX 3060 XC
Storage 500GB Samsung Pro 970, 250 GB SSD, 1TB & 500GB Western Digital / 2x 4TB & 1x 8TB WD Red
Display(s) Dell - S3220DGF 32" LED Curved QHD FreeSync Monitor / 50" LCD TV
Case CoolerMaster HAF XB Evo / CM HAF XB Evo
Power Supply 850W SeaSonic X Series / 750W SeaSonic X Series
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Black Microsoft Natural Elite Keyboard
Software Windows 10 Pro 64 / Windows 10 Home 64
Got it, but my concern is feasibility. Just roughly let's assume that a certain person has a two-year old gaming rig built with one mid-range GPU. Now, two years on, the GPU is having difficulty in handling the latest games (i.e. average frame rate of 40 frames/second). If he decides to go for SLI/CFX (given that his motherboard/PSU/Case Cooling can take the extra GPU); the Multi-GPU setup will mostly only yield a scaling of 60% in frame rates, which translates into an average frame rate of 64 frames/second, given that he doesn't experience any micro-stuttering or driver/game compatibility issues. It's just not worth it!

All you're doing is crunching numbers. If it's just a numbers game, then yes, a single high-end GPU would be the best option due to not all games making use of SLI/Crossfire very well or at all. If you want the absolute best for bragging rights, then multiple high-end cards are in order.

It's still personal preference. Not everyone wants to run their games (nor cares to run their games) on all high/ultra settings. Sometimes people just need a little extra umph for as little money as possible....granted that extra umph might not apply to all applications, but it's there for ones that can make use of it.

Not everyone is a number cruncher. We all have our different opinions and we all have different ideas of what an acceptable end result will be. You may not agree to the ideas or maybe even understand the reasons why people might use multi card setups....but there's nothing wrong with that. So it's kind of a moot point to get into, you'll just end up banging heads with others and it may be more of a headache than it's worth.

wolf

Performance Enthusiast
System Name MightyX
Processor Ryzen 5800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X570 I Aorus Pro WiFi
Cooling Scythe Fuma 2
Memory 32GB DDR4 3600 CL16
Video Card(s) Asus TUF RTX3080 Deshrouded
Storage WD Black SN850X 2TB
Display(s) LG 42C2 4K OLED
Case Coolermaster NR200P
Audio Device(s) LG SN5Y / Focal Clear
Power Supply Corsair SF750 Platinum
Mouse Corsair Dark Core RBG Pro SE
Keyboard Glorious GMMK Compact w/pudding
VR HMD Meta Quest 3
Software case populated with Artic P12's
Benchmark Scores 4k120 OLED Gsync bliss
...Not everyone is a number cruncher...

I think you may well find a lot of TPU'ers are number crunchers... and crunchers of other kinds too :toast:

System Name Micro Mule
All you're doing is crunching numbers. If it's just a numbers game, then yes, a single high-end GPU would be the best option due to not all games making use of SLI/Crossfire very well or at all. If you want the absolute best for bragging rights, then multiple high-end cards are in order.

It's still personal preference. Not everyone wants to run their games (nor cares to run their games) on all high/ultra settings. Sometimes people just need a little extra umph for as little money as possible....granted that extra umph might not apply to all applications, but it's there for ones that can make use of it.

Not everyone is a number cruncher. We all have our different opinions and we all have different ideas of what an acceptable end result will be. You may not agree to the ideas or maybe even understand the reasons why people might use multi card setups....but there's nothing wrong with that. So it's kind of a moot point to get into, you'll just end up banging heads with others and it may be more of a headache than it's worth.

... I totally agree, it's a personal preference thing. Although it might not seem as a logical decision in most of the cases; there are some cases where, in fact, it is ... furthermore; it is always nice for the mind to occasionally give room to the heart to make some decisions ...

sansoo22

Processor C2Q Q9300 @ 3.1Ghz
Motherboard XFX 780i
Cooling Corsair H50
Memory 8GB Micron D9HNP
Video Card(s) 2 x 9800gt
Storage 2 x Wester Digital 500gb
Case Coolermaster cm690
Power Supply Mushkin XP-650
I ended up going SLI for the price/performance appeal of it. I had an HP computer I hated that already had a quad core and a 9800gt in it. I got a deal on a 780i board and was able to pick up another 9800gt for cheap as well.

I will probably do the same sort of deal when I upgrade cards again. Like someone else mentioned earlier. Grab a gtx460 1gb here in a month or so and another one a couple months after that. And when I'm tired of overclocking my Q9300 I'll upgrade to an i7/X58/DDR3 setup and still be able to use both cards.

System Name Micro Mule
I ended up going SLI for the price/performance appeal of it. I had an HP computer I hated that already had a quad core and a 9800gt in it. I got a deal on a 780i board and was able to pick up another 9800gt for cheap as well.

I will probably do the same sort of deal when I upgrade cards again. Like someone else mentioned earlier. Grab a gtx460 1gb here in a month or so and another one a couple months after that. And when I'm tired of overclocking my Q9300 I'll upgrade to an i7/X58/DDR3 setup and still be able to use both cards.

The GTX460 is an excellent GPU and scales beautifully in SLI; overall a good decision. This is the only GPU that I believe justifies going for a Multi-GPU setup :rockout:

Processor i9 9900KS ( 5 Ghz all the time )
Motherboard Asus Maximus XI Hero Z390
Cooling EK Velocity + EK D5 pump + Alphacool full copper silver 360mm radiator
Memory 16GB Corsair Dominator GT ROG Edition 3333 Mhz
Video Card(s) ASUS TUF RTX 3080 Ti 12GB OC
Storage M.2 Samsung NVMe 970 Evo Plus 250 GB + 1TB 970 Evo Plus
Display(s) Asus PG279 IPS 1440p 165Hz G-sync
Case Cooler Master H500
Power Supply Asus ROG Thor 850W
Mouse Razer Deathadder Chroma
Keyboard Rapoo
Software Win 10 64 Bit
First of all we must determine on which screen resolution you want to play and use the computer.

More will be high resolution of the monitor and more 'multi-GPU configuration is justified.

I believe that multi-GPU configurations are enthusiastic, a true gamer that plays up to 4 5 hours straight online mulitplayer need a good GPU better high end and an equally good processor.

The games can crash inexplicably becasue they not support the Multi-GPU config.

My next PC will be just with a powerful processor combined with the fastest single GPU graphics card and a power supply from 850 950 watts.

Last edited:

Tatty_Two

Gone Fishing
Processor Rocket Lake Core i5 11600K @ 5 Ghz with PL tweaks
Motherboard MSI MAG Z490 TOMAHAWK
Cooling Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120SE + 4 Phanteks 140mm case fans
Memory 32GB (4 x 8GB SR) Patriot Viper Steel 4133Mhz DDR4 @ 3600Mhz CL14@1.45v Gear 1
Video Card(s) Asus Dual RTX 4070 OC
Storage WD Blue SN550 1TB M.2 NVME//Crucial MX500 500GB SSD (OS)
Display(s) AOC Q2781PQ 27 inch Ultra Slim 2560 x 1440 IPS
Case Phanteks Enthoo Pro M Windowed - Gunmetal
Audio Device(s) Onboard Realtek ALC1200/SPDIF to Sony AVR @ 5.1
Power Supply Seasonic CORE GM650w Gold Semi modular
Mouse Coolermaster Storm Octane wired
Keyboard Element Gaming Carbon Mk2 Tournament Mech
Software Win 10 Home x64
Most people don't use dual+ card setups because it's.... erm.... twice as expensive. If you look at the TPU GTX460 SLi review, 2 of these cards only really reap the benefit at 1920 res and upwards, you will see some benefit at 1650 but not below that (If I remember rightly, at 1920 you are seeing 72% of the performance of the 2nd Card, thats 28% of the cost of that 2nd card flushed down the toilet, at 1650 res you may just as well give me yer cash!). The origional concept of SLi/XFire was simply to keep an old gaming rig playing modern games by adding a card rather than paying high prices for system upgrades.

Last edited:

Bo$$

Lab Extraordinaire
System Name Desktop | Server
Processor Intel i7 2700k @ 4.6GHZ | AMD 5350 @ 2500MHZ
Motherboard Asus P7Z77-V Pro | Asus AM1I-A
Cooling Corsair H60v2 | Stock Air
Memory Crucial Ballistix 2x8GB CL8 1600MHZ | Corsair Vengence 2x4GB CL9 1600MHZ
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 1060 6GB | PNY GTX 750Ti
Storage Samsung 840 EVO 250GB + 4TB WD Red | 2x Seagate Barracuda 2TB
Display(s) Samsung S27D390H + Asus VE276Q | Headless
Case Fractal Design R5 | CM Elite 110
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar D1 w/Otone Stilo 5.1 and Creative Fatal1ty headset
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 850 G2| Corsair CX430M
Mouse Razer Imperator 2012
Keyboard Corsair K90
Software Windows 7 SP1 X64 | Ubuntu 16.04LTS
well if you are running 2-3 generations behind then SLI or CFX is a MUST! at 1920X1080 i am maxing most things out without any AA (who needs it at 1920x1080)

System Name Thought I'd be done with this by now
Processor i7 11700k 8/16
Motherboard MSI Z590 Pro Wifi
Cooling Be Quiet Dark Rock Pro 4, 9x aigo AR12
Memory 32GB GSkill TridentZ Neo DDR4-4000 CL18-22-22-42
Video Card(s) MSI Ventus 2x Geforce RTX 3070
Storage 1TB MX300 M.2 OS + Games, + cloud mostly
Display(s) Samsung 40" 4k (TV)
Case Lian Li PC-011 Dynamic EVO Black
Audio Device(s) onboard HD -> Yamaha 5.1
Power Supply EVGA 850 GQ
Mouse Logitech wireless
Keyboard same
VR HMD nah
Software Windows 10
Benchmark Scores no one cares anymore lols
cost of mobos are also a factor, there still are plenty of single pcix mobo's out there that offer great performance at a cheaper price than their sli/crossfire counter parts. So if you went more towards butget on the mobo you won't have the option of crossfire or sli later to boost performance.

then you factor in power, heat, cost of the second card versus performance output and the fact that you could always sell an older card to be used towards an upgrade and sli/crossfire become more for ultimate performance rather than a budget upgrade as they are often marketed.

personally it will be a while before I'll consider crossfire or sli as a gpu setup, a single 470 does all i need and then some.