• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

HP Collaborates with Hynix to Bring the Memristor to Market in Next-generation Memory

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
HP today announced that it has entered into a joint development agreement with Hynix Semiconductor Inc., a world-leading memory supplier, to bring memristor, a new circuit element first intentionally demonstrated in HP Labs, to market in future memory products. Memristors require less energy to operate, are faster than present solid-state storage technologies and can retain information even when power is off. The memristor, short for "memory resistor," was postulated to be the fourth basic circuit element by Prof. Leon Chua of the University of California at Berkeley in 1971 and first intentionally reduced to practice by researchers in HP Labs, the company's central research arm, in 2006.

Earlier this year, HP announced the discovery that the memristor also can perform logic, showing that memristor-based devices could change the standard paradigm of computing by enabling computation to one day be performed in chips where data is stored, rather than on a specialized central processing unit.

Bringing research to market
Joint development agreements are one way in which HP partners with others to leverage its intellectual property, which includes a portfolio of more than 30,000 patents. By collaborating with others to bring new technologies to market through intellectual property licenses and other technology transfer agreements, HP helps create new markets and generates a return on its research and development investment.

Supporting quotes
"The memristor has storage capacity abilities many times greater than what competing technologies offer. By adopting HP's memristor technology we can deliver new, energy-efficient products to our customers more quickly," says Dr. S.W. Park, executive vice president and chief technology officer, Hynix.

"This agreement brings together HP's core intellectual property and a first-rate supplier with the capacity to bring this innovation to market in world-class memory on a mass scale. It is the most recent example of HP's ability to drive product innovation from the Labs out into the commercial world. This is discovery and invention with clear purpose, which differentiates HP and reinforces the value of our research enterprise to HP as a whole," says Stan Williams, senior fellow, HP, and founding director, Information and Quantum Systems Laboratory, HP Labs.

Highlights
  • The two companies will jointly develop new materials and process integration technology to transfer the memristor technology from research to commercial development in the form of Resistive Random Access Memory (ReRAM). Hynix will implement the memristor technology in its research and development fab.
  • ReRAM is non-volatile memory with low power consumption that holds the potential to replace Flash memory currently used in mobile phones and MP3 players. It also has the potential to serve as a universal storage medium - that is, memory that can behave as Flash, DRAM or even a hard drive.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

System Name Mr. Reliable
Processor Ryzen R9 5950x
Motherboard MSI Meg X570s Ace Max
Cooling D5 Pump, Singularity Top/Res, 2x360mm EK P rads, EK Magnitude/Alphacool Blocks
Memory 32Gb (4x8Gb) Corsair Dominator Platinum 3600Mhz @ 16/19/20/36 1.35v
Video Card(s) MSI 3080ti with Alphacool Block
Storage 2 x Corsair Force MP400 1TB Nvme; 2 x T-Force Cardea Z340; 2 x Mushkin Reactor 1TB
Display(s) Acer 32" Z321QU 2560x1440; LG 34GP83A-B 34" 3440x1440
Case Lian Li PC-011 Dynamic XL; Synology DS218j w/ 2 x 2TB WD Red
Audio Device(s) SteelSeries Arctis Pro+
Power Supply EVGA SuperNova 850G3
Mouse Razer Basilisk V2
Keyboard Das Keyboard 6; Razer Orbweaver Chroma
Software Windows 10 Pro
I am curious if this will actually come to pass or be another technology that falls by the wayside.

Edit: MSNBC is reporting that they want to have it to the public within three years. This looks very promising.

HP, the world's top PC manufacturer, today announced a collaboration with memory-chip maker Hynix to get the first memristors to market in three years.

Source

Last edited:

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
It's HP and Hynix. They'll make something out of it. Both companies have a pro-industry history.

At least they won't be patent trolls.

Cold Storm

Battosai
System Name Haro
Processor AMD 1700x
Motherboard AsRork x370 Taichi
Cooling EK Custom Loop - CPU only
Memory 32gb G-Skill Trident Z
Video Card(s) EVGA 1080 Superclock 2
Storage Too Many
Display(s) Viewsonic VX2450WM-LED 24" & LG 32 IPS
Case Cooler Master Cosmos II
Power Supply Cooler Master V1000
Mouse SteelSeries Rival 500
Software Win10 Pro
Benchmark Scores i5 750 4.62ghz pi runs // Evga FTW p55
It's HP and Hynix. They'll make something out of it. Both companies have a pro-industry history.

At least they won't be patent trolls.

Yeah, your right on the factor that they won't be patent trolls. Hp's palm buyout was something that really could further their development on things even outside of computers. This just shows that HP knows where they can go from the Palm buyout.

That's really interesting and exciting. I remember I've been reading about memristors in 2006 in one magazine, that's cool.

And now they say it can perform logic operations. I just imagine how cpu, gpu, storage and ram will all die and it all could be replaced by one single chip which could do all the things we need.

System Name Mr. Reliable
Processor Ryzen R9 5950x
Motherboard MSI Meg X570s Ace Max
Cooling D5 Pump, Singularity Top/Res, 2x360mm EK P rads, EK Magnitude/Alphacool Blocks
Memory 32Gb (4x8Gb) Corsair Dominator Platinum 3600Mhz @ 16/19/20/36 1.35v
Video Card(s) MSI 3080ti with Alphacool Block
Storage 2 x Corsair Force MP400 1TB Nvme; 2 x T-Force Cardea Z340; 2 x Mushkin Reactor 1TB
Display(s) Acer 32" Z321QU 2560x1440; LG 34GP83A-B 34" 3440x1440
Case Lian Li PC-011 Dynamic XL; Synology DS218j w/ 2 x 2TB WD Red
Audio Device(s) SteelSeries Arctis Pro+
Power Supply EVGA SuperNova 850G3
Mouse Razer Basilisk V2
Keyboard Das Keyboard 6; Razer Orbweaver Chroma
Software Windows 10 Pro
I just imagine how cpu, gpu, storage and ram will all die and it all could be replaced by one single chip which could do all the things we need.

Just one chip to overclock. :rockout: (because we all know we would :cool:).

Well, my idea was always to have just 1 memory. The main one which would act as a storage and as an operating memory. Meaning that storage memory would be as fast as RAM. And as big as current biggest HDD's. That would be ideal and even current SSD's can't come even a bit close to that, not in speed and not in size. Of course such memory would be non-volatile and without stupid requirement to use TRIM...

Its time to adapt or perish, memory market. IT sector.

Memristors will basically make everything that we have atm obselete fairly quickly, provided that they're able to produce them in the first place at a similar size to the transistors used in CPUs.

System Name beast
Processor 3930K
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-X79-UD3
Cooling Noctua NH-U12P SE2011
Memory 16GB Kingston Value DDR3 1333Mhz CL9
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Aorus Elite RTX3060 12GB
Storage 1x 120GB Intel 520 and some spinny bois
Display(s) 3x DELL S2721DGF
Case Antec P182
Power Supply Corsair 750w
VR HMD Oculus Quest 2
Software Windows 10
collaborates... generates.... where teh buggeries the estimate transfer rates. :nutkick:

If this sort of technology was fast then surely the planned application would apply to solidsate drives or newer ram/hybrid data storage for pc application.

as its suitable application is stated to be mobiles and mp3's and such, that I think really paints a clear picture for why there are no approximate speeds regarding this newer tech mentioned.

Processor Intel i5 12600KF
Motherboard MSI PRO Z690-P DDR4, Socket 1700
Cooling MSI Ventus AIO
Memory Corsair Vengeance LPX Black 32GB, DDR4, 3200MHz
Video Card(s) MSI VentusRTX 3060 12Gb
Storage XPS 1TB | 2x Kingston 2TB Sata | Sinology 4TB (Raid1) |
Display(s) 24" Dell U2417H
Case Msi Mpg Odin
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC887 + Microlab Solo 6C
Power Supply Seasonic PRIME TX-750, 80
Mouse Razer
Keyboard Razer
Software Windows 10 x64
If this takes off it will change not only the IT industry but our every day lives, from handheld devices to supercomputers.

Imagine one day holding in your hand a monolithic core device that performs the functions of cpu/ram/hdd/gpu and more.. all possible because of the discovery of a 4th element:laugh:.

What's the difference between magic and really advanced tech in the mind of someone uninitiated? None at all

The future is just around the corner:cool:

The Monolith

Last edited:
System Name Grandpa
Processor i5 4690K
Motherboard Gigabyte Z97X-UD5H-BK
Cooling water
Memory 8GB Corsair Vengence 2400MHz
Video Card(s) Gigabyte 5850 x2
Storage Samsung SM951
Display(s) Catleap 27"
Case coolermaster stacker
Power Supply corsair AX860i
Mouse logitech g5 original
Keyboard Ducky
Software Windows 8.1
Its time to adapt or perish, memory market. IT sector.

Memristors will basically make everything that we have atm obselete fairly quickly, provided that they're able to produce them in the first place at a similar size to the transistors used in CPUs.

Couldn't agree more.:toast:

It seems this might facilitate a return to systems operating on a more 'analog' fashion. Maybe it's a great candidate for memory storage but I hope it's got potential use as a scalar circuit element especially for real world modelling e.g. FPS:D

If this takes off it will change not only the IT industry but our every day lives, from handheld devices to supercomputers.

Imagine one day holding in your hand a monolithic core device that performs the functions of cpu/ram/hdd/gpu and more.

The future is just around the corner:cool:

Why "holding in your hand"? Look further in the future. I bet they'd be so small (few nms) that they simply could be mounted in one's brain. You won't need to see/hear a thing. Info/data will simply get instantly transfered into your brain. okay okay we can talk about it ... um in 50 years

IceCreamBarr

System Name Non Existent
I suppose pc's using this tech could run much slower and still provide the same performance. All of the transfer back and forth between the mem to the CPU could be eliminated. It's only a short distance but that distance adds up big time with billions of calcs per second. To be honest, I've always wondered why mobo manufacturers build their set up the way they currently do. I guess it's the ATX standard but if the traces were shorter on the PCB and components were placed in a more logical manner, there would be an increase in performance.

Barr

MrAlex

Why "holding in your hand"? Look further in the future. I bet they'd be so small (few nms) that they simply could be mounted in one's brain. You won't need to see/hear a thing. Info/data will simply get instantly transfered into your brain. okay okay we can talk about it ... um in 50 years

What would you want a chip in your brain for? Our brains are much more advanced :wtf: