• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

GTX 260 - broken fan

ptbptb

This may be a bit off topic, but I've just bought and installed a new GTX 260 and only one of the fans work. I think it's a mechanical problem - it wobbles and clonks because the plastic fan itself is not attached to the axle (I presume it is meant to be).

Hopefully the place I bought it from will be nice about it and replace the card. If not - are these things DIY repairable?

Incidentally, I can honestly say I don't think I manhandled the card in a way likely to break stuff. I was quite careful about how I held it - but I suppose I can't be absolutely 100% certain. How hard is it to break fans with a careless grab? Has anybody done that?

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Processor Intel Core i7 10850K@5.2GHz
Motherboard AsRock Z470 Taichi
Cooling Corsair H115i Pro w/ Noctua NF-A14 Fans
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Video Card(s) RTX 2070 Super
Storage 500GB SX8200 Pro + 8TB with 1TB SSD Cache
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG280K 4K 28"
Case Fractal Design Define S
Audio Device(s) Onboard is good enough for me
Power Supply eVGA SuperNOVA 1000w G3
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
What model was it, most GTX260 cards only have one fan. If the fan has a shroud around it, then it should be pretty hard to break a fan just by handling it, but nothings impossible.

ptbptb

What model was it, most GTX260 cards only have one fan. If the fan has a shroud around it, then it should be pretty hard to break a fan just by handling it, but nothings impossible.

It was (and still is, I hope ;-) a GeForce GTX 260 "Core 216 55nm" 896MB GDDR3 Dual DVI (PCI-Express)

It has two fans and they are not covered over with a grid or anything.
Looks like this http://simflight.com/2009/02/23/geforce-gtx-260-at-guru3d/
(but not exactly the same). It looks like mine is from 'Gainward' (?).

wolf

Performance Enthusiast
System Name MightyX
Processor Ryzen 5800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X570 I Aorus Pro WiFi
Cooling Scythe Fuma 2
Memory 32GB DDR4 3600 CL16
Video Card(s) Asus TUF RTX3080 Deshrouded
Storage WD Black SN850X 2TB
Display(s) LG 42C2 4K OLED
Case Coolermaster NR200P
Audio Device(s) LG SN5Y / Focal Clear
Power Supply Corsair SF750 Platinum
Mouse Corsair Dark Core RBG Pro SE
Keyboard Glorious GMMK Compact w/pudding
VR HMD Meta Quest 3
Software case populated with Artic P12's
Benchmark Scores 4k120 OLED Gsync bliss
I own a Gainward GTX260 just like that one, except mine is 1792mb, and I never had an issue with the fan...

anyway you do so you have a few options, if you just bought it you should be fully able/entitled to return ot for a replacement, as it seems like you got it like that.

if your feeling game you can take off the whole fan shroud, which should be 2 screws on the pci bracket (silver area with monitor connectors) and two screws at the power input end of the PCB on the back side.

then you can just cable tie another fan to it, or even just point a case fan at it, but I'd monitor temps closely.

ptbptb

anyway you do so you have a few options, if you just bought it you should be fully able/entitled to return ot for a replacement, as it seems like you got it like that.

Yeah, now I wish I'd spun the fans with my finger before installing it so I'd know for certain. I'll send it back and keep my fingers crossed. Hopefully it won't come to manual fan replacement - but thanks for the advice in case it does.

wolf

Performance Enthusiast
System Name MightyX
Processor Ryzen 5800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X570 I Aorus Pro WiFi
Cooling Scythe Fuma 2
Memory 32GB DDR4 3600 CL16
Video Card(s) Asus TUF RTX3080 Deshrouded
Storage WD Black SN850X 2TB
Display(s) LG 42C2 4K OLED
Case Coolermaster NR200P
Audio Device(s) LG SN5Y / Focal Clear
Power Supply Corsair SF750 Platinum
Mouse Corsair Dark Core RBG Pro SE
Keyboard Glorious GMMK Compact w/pudding
VR HMD Meta Quest 3
Software case populated with Artic P12's
Benchmark Scores 4k120 OLED Gsync bliss
Yeah, now I wish I'd spun the fans with my finger before installing it so I'd know for certain. I'll send it back and keep my fingers crossed. Hopefully it won't come to manual fan replacement - but thanks for the advice in case it does.

always here to help :)

oh, and welcome to TPU :toast:

ptbptb

Hi everyone, just to say that I've just got an email saying a replacement card is being sent to me. I have to commend overclockers.co.uk for their very swift response (once I actually sent the package back ;-) and it looks like they aren't the sort of company to try pulling a fast one when checking the card for 'user stupidity damage'.

Before I sent the card back I noticed that both the fans actually had some damage - cracks coming from the centre - which led me to think "squashed during post" is the by far the most likely cause of my problems.

So, I guess the moral is look closely at the card before trying to install it. :)

System Name Ivy Biatch
Processor i5 3570K
Motherboard ASSRockzz z77TOTHEEXTREME!!!!
Cooling bleh
Memory 2x4gb crucial 1866
Video Card(s) HD7770, yes it does BF3
Storage 120gb Vertex
Display(s) 226BW
Case whats that, oh my table
Audio Device(s) stock onboard thing
Power Supply HX850W
Software 7
i hope you got that card dirt cheap.....

ptbptb

i hope you got that card dirt cheap.....

I don't think it was bargain of the decade. It was 127 pounds (or 200 dollars if you're in America). Everything costs more in the UK than it does in America, though. :(

System Name Ivy Biatch
Processor i5 3570K
Motherboard ASSRockzz z77TOTHEEXTREME!!!!
Cooling bleh
Memory 2x4gb crucial 1866
Video Card(s) HD7770, yes it does BF3
Storage 120gb Vertex
Display(s) 226BW
Case whats that, oh my table
Audio Device(s) stock onboard thing
Power Supply HX850W
Software 7
oh boy, you should have gotten GTX-460 768MB

and look at my location again ;)