• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Urgent advice:Windows - Delayed Write Failed

HookeyStreet

Eat, sleep, game!
Ive been getting this message for the past couple of days 'Windows - Delayed Write Failed' I also get some text with this saying that a certain file has failed to save and now the data is lost so save it in another place.

Ive been looking about to find a solution as a format did not solve it! Ive tried disabling 'write caching' like some have said on other sites and Ive also tried some methods suggested by Micro$oft, but still no luck :(

Ive updated all the Via chipset drivers and SATA / IDE drivers :confused:

What can I try next???

System Name AMD '13
Processor FX-6300 @ 4.43GHz (1.35v)
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-970A-DS3 rev 1.0 (F6)
Cooling Cooler Master T2 + x2 case fans
Memory 2x4Gb Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3-1600 (Stock)
Video Card(s) Gigabyte GTX650 Ti OC 2Gb @ 1110/1500
Storage Corsair 240Gb SSD / Seagate 500Gb HDD + old skool IDE HDD's x 3
Display(s) Acer 23'' LED
Case Billy Basic
Audio Device(s) Onboard 8.1 HD
Power Supply Corsair CX600
Software Windows 7 Ultimate x64
Benchmark Scores Smenchmarks
Possibly your hard disk is on its way out!

System Name ICE-QUAD // ICE-CRUNCH
Processor Q6600 // 2x Xeon 5472
Memory 2GB DDR // 8GB FB-DIMM
Video Card(s) HD3850-AGP // FireGL 3400
Display(s) 2 x Samsung 204Ts = 3200x1200
Audio Device(s) Audigy 2
Software Windows Server 2003 R2 as a Workstation now migrated to W10 with regrets.
Did you recently use a USB HDD? Either a real HDD or a USB stick. This error message is typical of an early removal without properly unplugging the device via the control toolbar first.

Alec§taar

Someone who's going to find NewTekie1 and teach hi
Processor DualCore AMD Athlon 64x2 4800+ (o/c 2801mhz STABLE (Ketxxx, POGE, Tatty One, ME))
Motherboard ASUS A8N-SLI Premium (PCIe x16, x4, x1)
Cooling PhaseChange Coolermaster CM754/939 (fan/heatsink), Thermalright heatspreaders + fan built on (RAM)
Memory 512mb PC-3200 DDR400 (set DDR-33 for o/c) by Corsair (matched pair, 2x256mb) 200.1/200mhz
Video Card(s) BFG GeForce 7900 GTX OC 512mb GDDR3 ram (o/c manually to 686 core/865 memory) - PhaseChange cooled
Storage Dual "Raptor X" 16mb 10krpm/RAID 0 Promise EX8350 x4 PCIe 128mb & Intel IO chip/CENATEK RocketDrive
Display(s) SONY 19" Trinitron MultiScan 400ps 1600x1200 75hz refresh 32-bit color
Case Antec Super-LanBoy (aluminum baby-tower w/ lower front & upper rear cooling exhaust fans)
Audio Device(s) RealTek AC97 onboard mobo stereo sound (Altec Lansing ACS-45 speakers - 10 yrs. still running!)
Power Supply Antec 500w ATX 2.0 "SmartPower" powersupply
Software Windows Server 2003 SP #1 fully patched, & massively tuned/tweaked to-the-max (plus latest drivers)
Did you recently use a USB HDD? Either a real HDD or a USB stick. This error message is typical of an early removal without properly unplugging the device via the control toolbar first.

Soda's right on that account, I have seen that before myself, & in the conditions he notes...

You CAN 'turn off' delayed write caching (optimized for performance, rather than quick removal) via rightclicking on the diskdrive letter in Explorer.exe, & using its popup menu item that appears in PROPERTIES, & then, choose the HARDWARE tab in the dialog box that comes up.

Once there, choose the POLICIES tab in the next screen, & maybe try the "Optimize for Quick Removal" radio button being checked off, rather than "Optimize for Performance", & see if that helps you here!

:)

* Good Luck!

APK

P.S.=> If this doesn't cut it, perhaps using a tool like CacheSet (sysinternals) might help, because it allows for various adjustments in Windows NT-based OS' native cache (I use SuperDisk II here instead, but each works & there is possible adjustments in both), but do NOT discount it could be a problem w/ the hdd as folks noted here earlier/above... I hope not for your sake! apk

Check the message and it'll give you the path and filename. Could also be a network drive. The complete error should be in the event viewer in the system log.

Also the age of a harddrive is totally irrelevent for it to fail. New disks fail just as often as older ones.

ktr

Thanx m8, how long should I run it for?

run it all the way a post a screen shot or the results.

as said above, if you trying to store data on an external storage, try doing "eject hardware safety" to avoid writing delay errors.

Namslas90

Reconect device. Controll panel>add/remove hardware>remove device(twice if listed)then disconnect device>reboot. Had to do that with a buddy's external HDD he used to burn dvd's on my machine. Of course I also had to wait a week for him to bring it back over to the house. There had to be a better way!

Alec§taar

Processor DualCore AMD Athlon 64x2 4800+ (o/c 2801mhz STABLE (Ketxxx, POGE, Tatty One, ME))
Cooling PhaseChange Coolermaster CM754/939 (fan/heatsink), Thermalright heatspreaders + fan built on (RAM)
Memory 512mb PC-3200 DDR400 (set DDR-33 for o/c) by Corsair (matched pair, 2x256mb) 200.1/200mhz
Video Card(s) BFG GeForce 7900 GTX OC 512mb GDDR3 ram (o/c manually to 686 core/865 memory) - PhaseChange cooled
Storage Dual "Raptor X" 16mb 10krpm/RAID 0 Promise EX8350 x4 PCIe 128mb & Intel IO chip/CENATEK RocketDrive
Display(s) SONY 19" Trinitron MultiScan 400ps 1600x1200 75hz refresh 32-bit color
Case Antec Super-LanBoy (aluminum baby-tower w/ lower front & upper rear cooling exhaust fans)
Audio Device(s) RealTek AC97 onboard mobo stereo sound (Altec Lansing ACS-45 speakers - 10 yrs. still running!)
Software Windows Server 2003 SP #1 fully patched, & massively tuned/tweaked to-the-max (plus latest drivers)
Cool!

I wish all hassles on PC's were this simple to spot & fix!

:)

* What was it that cured it for you? I'd bet it was Namslas's idea, more than any other noted.

APK

Alec§taar

Help guys, its back :(

I must ask, did you TRY this stuff, here from last page:

"You CAN 'turn off' delayed write caching (optimized for performance, rather than quick removal) via rightclicking on the diskdrive letter in Explorer.exe, & using its popup menu item that appears in PROPERTIES, & then, choose the HARDWARE tab in the dialog box that comes up.

Once there, choose the POLICIES tab in the next screen, & maybe try the "Optimize for Quick Removal" radio button being checked off, rather than "Optimize for Performance", & see if that helps you here!"

?

* Because, if that doesn't work for you? I don't know what to tell you, software-side/OS side @ least... not really, in the case of this type of errmsg!

APK

Audio Device(s) Audigy 2
Software Windows Server 2003 R2 as a Workstation now migrated to W10 with regrets.
Hey Hookey,

Please provide more info. Are you using USB or Firewire drives at all?

Does your PC tend to freeze in explorer?

HookeyStreet

Eat, sleep, game!
I must ask, did you TRY this stuff, here from last page:

"You CAN 'turn off' delayed write caching (optimized for performance, rather than quick removal) via rightclicking on the diskdrive letter in Explorer.exe, & using its popup menu item that appears in PROPERTIES, & then, choose the HARDWARE tab in the dialog box that comes up.

Once there, choose the POLICIES tab in the next screen, & maybe try the "Optimize for Quick Removal" radio button being checked off, rather than "Optimize for Performance", & see if that helps you here!"

?

* Because, if that doesn't work for you? I don't know what to tell you, software-side/OS side @ least... not really, in the case of this type of errmsg!

APK

Yeah Ive done all that, its strange because the PC seemed to be running fine....then it suddenly came back :( Its got me stumped and it all started after swapping my Sempron & mobo for an Athlon & mobo.....its has if the HDD isnt compatible with this mobo or chipset etc?????

HookeyStreet

Eat, sleep, game!
Hey Hookey,

Please provide more info. Are you using USB or Firewire drives at all?

Does your PC tend to freeze in explorer?

No external USB/Firewire HDD's or ROM's m8, sometimes I do connect my m8s USB 80GB HDD when Im taking files from him.

It seems to freeze randomly, sometimes the PC will be fine but then it just freezes and I get that error message :confused:

I also get this problem when I try to burn a DVD etc, the DVDRW & PC just locks up :confused:

ktr

run the program that i have showed you and post a screenie when done.

Namslas90

Could also be bad ribbon cable, wrong/missing jumper on HDD, or wrong/bad mobo drivers for HDD, or HDD going bad.

Audio Device(s) Audigy 2
I think this might be a VERY EASY FIX.

Buy a new 80 pin IDE cable and reconnect your devices. I had a similar issue once. A perfectly looking IDE cable was actually defective.

Alec§taar

No external USB/Firewire HDD's or ROM's m8, sometimes I do connect my m8s USB 80GB HDD when Im taking files from him.

It seems to freeze randomly, sometimes the PC will be fine but then it just freezes and I get that error message :confused:

I also get this problem when I try to burn a DVD etc, the DVDRW & PC just locks up :confused:

Well, last "software-side related" point:

Does your mobo have "customized chipset &/or IDE/EIDE drivers", like VIA stuff does?

If so, you DO have options of "rolling back" to Microsoft std. WHQL ones, OR going the reverse direction as well (trying the OEM's drivers for disk I/O & see what happens)...

You bring up that set of points I quoted from you, & it made me think of THAT possibility here...

EDIT: I SEE YOU DO USE VIA STUFF! Take out their EIDE/IDE controller-ware, the optional component during install!

(It warns about it in fact, iirc, during installation & offers it optionally only, UNINSTALL IT, & rollback to your WHQL normal Windows/Ms provided one!)

APK

P.S.=> This one's funny, we THOUGHT we had you all set, & so did you... but, alas, we are NOT there yet... hopefully, this is the trick - let the rest of these guys handle the hardware side... I will concentrate or help to concentrate on software/OS/drivers possibles! apk

System Name Rigel / Altair
Processor Ryzen 3900x / Xeon x3440
Motherboard Aorus X570 Pro Wifi / Asus P7P55D
Cooling H110i / CM MASTERLIQUID MAKER 92
Memory 16gb DDR4-3200 / 8GB DD3-2000
Video Card(s) GTX1080ti / 9600gt
Storage Crucial P1 500gb - Crucial MX500 500gb / Unraid NAS
Display(s) LG 43UN700-B
Case Phanteks P500 / CM N400
Audio Device(s) FX Audio DAC 6
Power Supply eVGA 1000GQ / Seasonic Focus 500w
Yeah, unfotunately, I have had this error too. Tried all the software fixes, but it kept popping up every now and then.

Days later, my drive took a dump on me while I was trying to retrieve the data off of it.

Hope you don't have the same issues, and that it will be a software fix. Good luck.

HookeyStreet

Eat, sleep, game!
I think this might be a VERY EASY FIX.

Buy a new 80 pin IDE cable and reconnect your devices. I had a similar issue once. A perfectly looking IDE cable was actually defective.

The HDD is S-ATA :confused:

HookeyStreet

Eat, sleep, game!
Well, last "software-side related" point:

Does your mobo have "customized chipset &/or IDE/EIDE drivers", like VIA stuff does?

If so, you DO have options of "rolling back" to Microsoft std. WHQL ones, OR going the reverse direction as well (trying the OEM's drivers for disk I/O & see what happens)...

You bring up that set of points I quoted from you, & it made me think of THAT possibility here...

EDIT: I SEE YOU DO USE VIA STUFF! Take out their EIDE/IDE controller-ware, the optional component during install!

(It warns about it in fact, iirc, during installation & offers it optionally only, UNINSTALL IT, & rollback to your WHQL normal Windows/Ms provided one!)

APK

P.S.=> This one's funny, we THOUGHT we had you all set, & so did you... but, alas, we are NOT there yet... hopefully, this is the trick - let the rest of these guys handle the hardware side... I will concentrate or help to concentrate on software/OS/drivers possibles! apk

Thanks m8, I will try it ;)

Audio Device(s) Audigy 2
Is your DVD SATA also? If not, try swapping IDE cables and channel to DVD.

Also try another SATA cable for your HDD, and a different SATA channel, just in case.

Also, are you properly ejecting your friends USB/Firewire HDD or flashstick? If you are under NTFS it will try and record "last access time", but if the drive wasn't property dismounted, it will try to a non-esiting drive and hang.