• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Help With New Build!

Guerilla

Ok so recently ive attempted my first build, these are the specs.

ASRock P45DE Mobo
Intel Pentium Dual Core E6500 2.93Ghz
2x 1GB Kingston HyperX DDR2 1066 RAM
Nvidia GeForce 6200
Western Digital 80GB IDE HDD
420W PSU

I thought i had succesfully build my computer because i had it down stairs fully running, just installed Windows XP Home, was downloading updates from update.microsoft.com and getting drivers for graphics, once i was done i installed the driver for my wireless USB adapter, now came the first problem, when i would insert a USB device in to my front left USB port for some reason my computer would turn itself off, i couldnt figure that one out so i just didnt use the front left port. After that i moved it upstairs, plugged it all in properly, and then the computer would just not turn on, so my next move was to take everything apart again and rebuild it, which i did, but would still not turn on, at this point i thought maybe the system panel header could have maybe been the problem because i did have doubts i had done it correctly because i didnt quite understand what is positive and negative and just followed some advice from the internet saying just make sure the words on the connectors are facing up. I noticed i had made a mistake of putting the reset switch and power switch connectors in each others place, so i fixed that, but still the computer did not turn on, at this point i was getting quite frustrated so i decided to check the other end of the wires in the front panel, so i undid a screw holding the plastic case that covers the wires and unclipped it some places but then saw there was one clip that i didnt have the means of un-clipping stopping me from removing it entirely so i gave up and put the screw back in and this si the funny part, as i was pressing the clips back in my computer turned on, now i thought everything was ok turned it off, went to bad and today i came in here o turn it on and now is not working again, i tried fiddling with the wires in the front again but to no effect and am completely mind boggled.. any help would be really appreciated. Thx.

temp02

First of all never again mess with the computer hardware while the PSU power cable is still on the wall plug, the computer might seem that it's off but infact the motherboard is still getting at least 5volts and you might risk breaking something, like the ethernet controller.

Second take everything apart and rebuild it with minimum running specs, so no HDD, no optical drives, no USB headers, just one RAM module (incase you have two) the keyboard the Graphic card the processor (with heatsink ofcource). Make sure that you power you board correctly,so connect both the 24 and the 8 pin plug on it (one next to the RAM and one near the CPU).
I can't stress this enough, do this while not having the computer connected to the wall power plug.

Try to boot it up and go to BIOS, if this is good connect each left device one by one and and try to boot each time you connect a device and see which one makes it fail.

Good luck.

System Name LenovoⓇ ThinkPad™ T430
Processor IntelⓇ Core™ i5-3210M processor (2 cores, 2.50GHz, 3MB cache), Intel Turbo Boost™ 2.0 (3.10GHz), HT™
Motherboard Lenovo 2344 (Mobile Intel QM77 Express Chipset)
Cooling Single-pipe heatsink + Delta fan
Memory 2x 8GB KingstonⓇ HyperX™ Impact 2133MHz DDR3L SO-DIMM
Video Card(s) Intel HD Graphics™ 4000 (GPU clk: 1100MHz, vRAM clk: 1066MHz)
Storage SamsungⓇ 860 EVO mSATA (250GB) + 850 EVO (500GB) SATA
Display(s) 14.0" (355mm) HD (1366x768) color, anti-glare, LED backlight, 200 nits, 16:9 aspect ratio, 300:1 co
Case ThinkPad Roll Cage (one-piece magnesium frame)
Audio Device(s) HD Audio, RealtekⓇ ALC3202 codec, DolbyⓇ Advanced Audio™ v2 / stereo speakers, 1W x 2
Power Supply ThinkPad 65W AC Adapter + ThinkPad Battery 70++ (9-cell)
Mouse TrackPointⓇ pointing device + UltraNav™, wide touchpad below keyboard + ThinkLight™
Keyboard 6-row, 84-key, ThinkVantage button, spill-resistant, multimedia Fn keys, LED backlight (PT Layout)
Software MicrosoftⓇ WindowsⓇ 10 x86-64 (22H2)
i didnt quite understand what is positive and negative and just followed some advice from the internet saying just make sure the words on the connectors are facing up.
Great advice, really. :rolleyes: In fact, if electronics were that easy and simple, we would all be engineers by now. :slap:

First of all, Welcome to TechPowerUp.
Now, have you followed your motherboard user's manual while you built the PC, assuming you knew what you were doing?
I would assume there's something wrong with the way you plugged the USB headers on the motherboard. The power and reset buttons just have to be in the right place, the pin order is not relevant unless it's specified/mentioned.
The process is clearly explained on page 22 and 23 of the manual. If you have done it by the manual, there shouldn't be a problem with it.
Usually the order for the USB header is, from pin 1/beginning of the header to the dummy pin header/no pin, V+/USB_PWR (5 Volts, USB power/positive), DATA- (Data out), DATA+ (Data In), GND (Ground/negative). The nomenclature used may vary a bit, but this is essentially it.
From what you've said, I think you have made a bad connection somewhere and may have damaged the motherboard. Now this might have happened from badly connected headers in the motherboard or handling the parts with the computer plugged (possibly causing a short-circuit).

Also, working with the computer plugged to the wall is a bad idea, especially if you don't have the slightest idea of what you are doing. Building a computer is not like building a LEGO, although it might seem alike.
Without more information, I can't have a more precise idea of what the problem might be.

Last edited:

Guerilla

Thank you

Ok thank you both very much, i now understand the system panel header and have been able to boot my computer again, it looks like the Optical drive i was using was the failing equipment, i will now insert my other stick of RAM and plan on purchasing a new optical drive, my expectations have been exceeded in getting help thanks to you both and will definatley come back here for further help, i do understand how delicate building a computer can be and i will not underestimate it again, i was hoping for a no fail first build but was expecting some problems, one last question, im using a slim case so PSU position restricts me from putting it in its proper place because the 12v 4Pin doesnt reach unless i leave the PSU hanging loose and sitting in the bottom of the case about half way almost touching the GPU and motherboard, i was wondering if there was a risk there i should be aware of, thank you again for being so helpfull.

Guerilla

I found it is wheni connect the USB header that my computer will not boot.

System Name LenovoⓇ ThinkPad™ T430
Processor IntelⓇ Core™ i5-3210M processor (2 cores, 2.50GHz, 3MB cache), Intel Turbo Boost™ 2.0 (3.10GHz), HT™
Motherboard Lenovo 2344 (Mobile Intel QM77 Express Chipset)
Cooling Single-pipe heatsink + Delta fan
Memory 2x 8GB KingstonⓇ HyperX™ Impact 2133MHz DDR3L SO-DIMM
Video Card(s) Intel HD Graphics™ 4000 (GPU clk: 1100MHz, vRAM clk: 1066MHz)
Storage SamsungⓇ 860 EVO mSATA (250GB) + 850 EVO (500GB) SATA
Display(s) 14.0" (355mm) HD (1366x768) color, anti-glare, LED backlight, 200 nits, 16:9 aspect ratio, 300:1 co
Case ThinkPad Roll Cage (one-piece magnesium frame)
Audio Device(s) HD Audio, RealtekⓇ ALC3202 codec, DolbyⓇ Advanced Audio™ v2 / stereo speakers, 1W x 2
Power Supply ThinkPad 65W AC Adapter + ThinkPad Battery 70++ (9-cell)
Mouse TrackPointⓇ pointing device + UltraNav™, wide touchpad below keyboard + ThinkLight™
Keyboard 6-row, 84-key, ThinkVantage button, spill-resistant, multimedia Fn keys, LED backlight (PT Layout)
Software MicrosoftⓇ WindowsⓇ 10 x86-64 (22H2)
I found it is wheni connect the USB header that my computer will not boot.
So make sure it's properly connected, according to the manual. If even with the headers in the right place the computer fails to boot, there might actually be something wrong with your front USB panel.

Ok thank you both very much, i now understand the system panel header and have been able to boot my computer again, it looks like the Optical drive i was using was the failing equipment, i will now insert my other stick of RAM and plan on purchasing a new optical drive, my expectations have been exceeded in getting help thanks to you both and will definatley come back here for further help, i do understand how delicate building a computer can be and i will not underestimate it again, i was hoping for a no fail first build but was expecting some problems, one last question, im using a slim case so PSU position restricts me from putting it in its proper place because the 12v 4Pin doesnt reach unless i leave the PSU hanging loose and sitting in the bottom of the case about half way almost touching the GPU and motherboard, i was wondering if there was a risk there i should be aware of, thank you again for being so helpfull.
Hey, without having a knowledge background on this, it's asking too much to not miss something in the first build. ;) Before my first build I read the darn manual 5 times, just to make sure I wouldn't miss a thing and I was shaking like hell when the time came to put the processor in the socket.
No need to purchase a new optical drive, just return (RMA) the current one if still under warranty.
As for the slim case, post the model so we can see for a possible solution. Also, it's mandatory that the 12v 4pin is connected for the computer to power up, because that's the plug that will feed the power for the processor.
As for things touching, if the wires aren't naked, it's ok, just make sure no metal parts are touching were they aren't supposed to and you should be alright.
If you can't find another route for that cable due to length problems, get an extension for that particular cable. Surely there are stores where you live that sell those.