• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Strange problems with my Auzentech X-Fi Forte

Semi-Lobster

Recently my speakers and headphones are producing this weird, loud buzzing, tapping and cracking noises. I've switched my speakers and headphones with different ones but it seems that the sound card is my sound card seems to be the main problem. I have the latest drivers as well for it. Is there something wrong with my sound card? Is there a way I can test it?

System Name Current
Processor i5 2500k @ 4.5
Motherboard ASRock Z77 Extreme4
Cooling Xigmatek Gaia
Memory 2x4G G-skill Sniper
Video Card(s) GTX 680
Storage 128 Crucial M4, 1 TB Seagate Baracuda
Display(s) Shimian Achieva 27"
Case Corsair 400R
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Corsais HX-620
Software Windows 7
Recently my speakers and headphones are producing this weird, loud buzzing, tapping and cracking noises. I've switched my speakers and headphones with different ones but it seems that the sound card is my sound card seems to be the main problem. I have the latest drivers as well for it. Is there something wrong with my sound card? Is there a way I can test it?

Have you changed anything recently? Is there anything that could be generating interference?

unclewebb

ThrottleStop & RealTemp Author
I had the exact same problem with my Auzentech X-Plosion 7.1 card. I thought for sure my Logitech speakers were crapping out and I chased my tail for a while trying to get this figured out. I finally ditched the Auzentech and put in an old Soundblaster Audigy 2 ZS from the closet and my problem was solved. I liked the 7.1 out from the Auzentech but I didn't like the random static.

Semi-Lobster

Have you changed anything recently? Is there anything that could be generating interference?

Not a thing, I spray out the entire case with compressed air every other month but thats about it

Semi-Lobster

I had the exact same problem with my Auzentech X-Plosion 7.1 card. I thought for sure my Logitech speakers were crapping out and I chased my tail for a while trying to get this figured out. I finally ditched the Auzentech and put in an old Soundblaster Audigy 2 ZS from the closet and my problem was solved. I liked the 7.1 out from the Auzentech but I didn't like the random static.

Yah I think this is a static problem to, the weird bumps in sound and crackling sounds sort of sound like static (but sort of strange static) but also sometimes the output only comes out of one speaker rather than both (2.1 set up) as well. I was hoping I could fix it seeing as I dropped $100 for the X-Fi Forte

Last edited:

de.das.dude

Pro Indian Modder
System Name Monke | Work Thinkpad| Old Monke
Processor Ryzen 5600X | Ryzen 5500U | FX8320
Motherboard ASRock B550 Extreme4 | ? | Asrock 990FX Extreme 4
Cooling 240mm Rad | Not needed | hyper 212 EVO
Memory 2x16GB DDR4 3600 Corsair RGB | 16 GB DDR4 3600 | 16GB DDR3 1600
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse RX6700XT 12GB | Vega 8 | Sapphire Pulse RX580 8GB
Storage Samsung 980 nvme (Primary) | some samsung SSD
Display(s) Dell 2723DS | Some 14" 1080p 98%sRGB IPS | Dell 2240L
Case Ant Esports Tempered case | Thinkpad | Antec
Audio Device(s) Logitech Z333 | Jabra corpo stuff
Power Supply Corsair RM750e | not needed | Corsair GS 600
Mouse Logitech G400 | nipple
Keyboard Logitech G213 | stock kb is awesome | Logitech K230
VR HMD ;_;
Software Windows 10 Professional x3
Benchmark Scores There are no marks on my bench
might be interfereing electomagnetic waves. try covering the card in plastic coated aluminium foil.

roll the foil over the card and staple the ends together. make sure not to short circuit anything.

Semi-Lobster

I think I've solved the problems, it was infact the 3.5mm cable I was using itself, part of it was exposed and frayed right in the middle of the wire. Unfortunately the cable is directly attached to my subwoofer. Even though I have soldering equipment, I'm far too lazy to try to solder it myself so I thought 'screw this' and bought myself a new Edifier E3350 speaker system and the static has gone away. Also they're a great speaker system!

System Name TaichiTig
Processor i7 6800K
Motherboard ASRock X99 Taichi
Memory 32GB DDR4 3200
Video Card(s) RTX 4070
Storage SSD + Misc. HDDs in DrivePool
Display(s) BenQ PD3200U, Samsung C32HG70
Case Antec Twelve Hundred
Audio Device(s) Behringer UMC404HD, LSR308, Shure SRH840, AKG K612, Etymotic HF5
Power Supply Corsair 750TX
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Deck Legend Ice Tactile
Software Win10
You said you switched your speakers and headphones with different ones and I gather, still experienced the problem—so if the cable in question is directly attached to your subwoofer (and thus you wouldn't have been using it with the other peripherals), that can't be the problem.

Am I misunderstanding something?

Semi-Lobster

You said you switched your speakers and headphones with different ones and I gather, still experienced the problem—so if the cable in question is directly attached to your subwoofer (and thus you wouldn't have been using it with the other peripherals), that can't be the problem.

Am I misunderstanding something?

Hmmm you're right.... now that I think about that, it doesn't make a whole lot of sense either :confused:, that might explain some of the static but there must be something more. The problem seems to be solved now but I'll keep looking.

unclewebb

ThrottleStop & RealTemp Author
That used to happen to me all the time too. Just when I thought the problem was solved, it would always come back again. It didn't go away until I swapped the Auzentech out and since then, it has never happened again.

Kursah

Super Moderator
Staff member
System Name Kursah's Gaming Rig 2018 (2022 Upgrade) - Ryzen+ Edition | Gaming Laptop (Lenovo Legion 5i Pro 2022)
Processor R7 5800X @ Stock | i7 12700H @ Stock
Motherboard Asus ROG Strix X370-F Gaming BIOS 6203| Legion 5i Pro NM-E231
Cooling Noctua NH-U14S Push-Pull + NT-H1 | Stock Cooling
Memory TEAMGROUP T-Force Vulcan Z 32GB (2x16) DDR4 4000 @ 3600 18-20-20-42 1.35v | 32GB DDR5 4800 (2x16)
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 4070 JetStream 12GB | CPU-based Intel Iris XE + RTX 3070 8GB 150W
Storage 4TB SP UD90 NVME, 960GB SATA SSD, 2TB HDD | 1TB Samsung OEM NVME SSD + 4TB Crucial P3 Plus NVME SSD
Display(s) Acer 28" 4K VG280K x2 | 16" 2560x1600 built-in
Case Corsair 600C - Stock Fans on Low | Stock Metal/Plastic
Audio Device(s) Aune T1 mk1 > AKG K553 Pro + JVC HA-RX 700 (Equalizer APO + PeaceUI) | Bluetooth Earbuds (BX29)
Power Supply EVGA 750G2 Modular + APC Back-UPS Pro 1500 | 300W OEM (heavy use) or Lenovo Legion C135W GAN (light)
Mouse Logitech G502 | Logitech M330
Keyboard HyperX Alloy Core RGB | Built in Keyboard (Lenovo laptop KB FTW)
Software Windows 11 Pro x64 | Windows 11 Home x64
One thing I noticed is that when I leave music paused or WMP open for extended periods of time (mostly WMP) that I will get static when something is played back...any kind of sound...be it music, game or video. But if I close the programs making sound and start them back up I'm ok...though WMP must be closed via Task Manager. It doesn't happen too often anymore in 7...but still does every once in a while...I still dig the forte. I generally use WMP/Media Center for movies, Winamp for tunes, etc. Leave a sound process going too long and something about the forte and it's drivers messes up...do what I described above and it should alleviate the issue...I haven't had to restart because of it since I figured this strategy out, nor is it ever an issue for long. Maybe this will help more people...it's a bitch because it has to be done...but I barely even notice I'm doing it anymore lol. Maybe there's an easier way...and I think I'd point my finger at Auzen drivers vs WMP.

:toast:

Semi-Lobster

One thing I noticed is that when I leave music paused or WMP open for extended periods of time (mostly WMP) that I will get static when something is played back...any kind of sound...be it music, game or video. But if I close the programs making sound and start them back up I'm ok...though WMP must be closed via Task Manager. It doesn't happen too often anymore in 7...but still does every once in a while...I still dig the forte. I generally use WMP/Media Center for movies, Winamp for tunes, etc. Leave a sound process going too long and something about the forte and it's drivers messes up...do what I described above and it should alleviate the issue...I haven't had to restart because of it since I figured this strategy out, nor is it ever an issue for long. Maybe this will help more people...it's a bitch because it has to be done...but I barely even notice I'm doing it anymore lol. Maybe there's an easier way...and I think I'd point my finger at Auzen drivers vs WMP.

:toast:

Well its happening again. Just when I thought I killed the problem my new glorious speakers are pumping out staticy mush intermittently and then playing crystal clear the next and have come back to the conclusion that the problem is the sound card. I don't know if its damaged or a software problem but this is really frustrating. I'm thinking of just going back to onboard (ugh :shadedshu ) and spending my next pay-cheque on an Xonar.

Wile E

Power User
System Name The ClusterF**k
Processor 980X @ 4Ghz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5 BIOS F12
Cooling MCR-320, DDC-1 pump w/Bitspower res top (1/2" fittings), Koolance CPU-360
Memory 3x2GB Mushkin Redlines 1600Mhz 6-8-6-24 1T
Video Card(s) Evga GTX 580
Storage Corsair Neutron GTX 240GB, 2xSeagate 320GB RAID0; 2xSeagate 3TB; 2xSamsung 2TB; Samsung 1.5TB
Display(s) HP LP2475w 24" 1920x1200 IPS
Case Technofront Bench Station
Audio Device(s) Auzentech X-Fi Forte into Onkyo SR606 and Polk TSi200's + RM6750
Power Supply ENERMAX Galaxy EVO EGX1250EWT 1250W
Software Win7 Ultimate N x64, OSX 10.8.4
I had issues when I had my forte close to my video card. It was picking up a lot of EMI from the cards. The Forte seems to be super sensitive to it. Even my Audigy 2 didn't have those issues. I moved it to my bottom slot, and the problem disappeared. These things really should have a factory EMI shield.

Semi-Lobster

I had issues when I had my forte close to my video card. It was picking up a lot of EMI from the cards. The Forte seems to be super sensitive to it. Even my Audigy 2 didn't have those issues. I moved it to my bottom slot, and the problem disappeared. These things really should have a factory EMI shield.

My Forte is right beside underneath 5850... did you test out other slots before you chose the very bottom? Unfortunately my Asus M3A78-T motherboard's lowest PCIe slot is only 2 slots away the 5850. Would this be far enough?

Wile E

Power User
System Name The ClusterF**k
Processor 980X @ 4Ghz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5 BIOS F12
Cooling MCR-320, DDC-1 pump w/Bitspower res top (1/2" fittings), Koolance CPU-360
Memory 3x2GB Mushkin Redlines 1600Mhz 6-8-6-24 1T
Video Card(s) Evga GTX 580
Storage Corsair Neutron GTX 240GB, 2xSeagate 320GB RAID0; 2xSeagate 3TB; 2xSamsung 2TB; Samsung 1.5TB
Display(s) HP LP2475w 24" 1920x1200 IPS
Case Technofront Bench Station
Audio Device(s) Auzentech X-Fi Forte into Onkyo SR606 and Polk TSi200's + RM6750
Power Supply ENERMAX Galaxy EVO EGX1250EWT 1250W
Software Win7 Ultimate N x64, OSX 10.8.4
My Forte is right beside underneath 5850... did you test out other slots before you chose the very bottom? Unfortunately my Asus M3A78-T motherboard's lowest PCIe slot is only 2 slots away the 5850. Would this be far enough?

Yeah, that should be far enough. It is only when a single slot away that I have problems. If you have problems after moving it, it might be RMA time.