• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Real Temp Feature Requests

unclewebb

ThrottleStop & RealTemp Author
RealTemp 3.56
http://www.fileden.com/files/2008/3/3/1794507/RealTempBeta.zip

xaudiox: There was an Nvidia driver bug a while ago that might be causing the problem with RealTemp not showing your GPU temperature.

You need to go into the registry and delete a couple of Nvidia entries. It's explained in this post:

http://www.evga.com/forums/tm.aspx?m=7994&mpage=1#100948

Test that out and see if it cures your problem. What driver version are you using?

El_Mayo: RealTemp only supports Intel Core CPUs. :(

xaudiox

The driver is 196.21 but its not the issue,
Basically, certain batches of Asus, gainward and palit 8800GT's dont have the off die sensing chip that reports temps, and the on die sensor is disabled i think.
Up untill now only Everest, Rivatuner (with g92 plugin) and an asus monitoring utillity will read the temps.
Everest had a small update to read the temps about a year or so ago (it was listed in the changelog)
Just thought maybe you could use the RivaTuner plugin to work with RealTemp.

Last edited:

unclewebb

I might be able to figure something out using the G92 Rivatuner plugin but trying to develop something when I don't have an 8800GT card to test on is usually a pain. If I have the time to someday look into this then I'll send you a PM and let you know but my time for these one off projects is limited at the moment.

System Name N/A
Processor i7-4790K
Motherboard Asus Z97-A
Cooling Thermalright True Power 140
Memory 2 x 8GB GeIL Potenza 2400Mhz
Video Card(s) MSI GTX 970 Gaming
Storage 2TB Seagate Barracuda
Display(s) 24" Samsung 1080p LED Monitor
Case Phanteks Enthoo Pro
Power Supply Corsair TX650W
Mouse Logitech MX518
Keyboard Corsair K70 (Brown MX)
Software Windows 8.1
El_Mayo: RealTemp only supports Intel Core CPUs. :(

Then i object!
is it something to do with the programming? why can't you support AMD?! :(

unclewebb

I can't support AMD because I haven't had access to any AMD hardware for the last few years. These little projects are way too time consuming with little to no reward.

With RealTemp I've made about enough to cover the cost of the temperature gun I originally bought and that's it. All the other hardware I bought was out of my own pocket and the thousands of hours I put into project RealTemp has cost me money but hasn't made me any.

The only thing left in my pockets is lint so I have to walk away from the freeware community. I love free software too but the local grocery store doesn't agree with that principle. When I get to the check out line they make me pay with real money, something RealTemp doesn't provide me with. :(

The programmer of RivaTuner learned the same thing and has also moved on to projects that pay like his work for MSI writing Afterburner.

System Name N/A
Processor i7-4790K
Motherboard Asus Z97-A
Cooling Thermalright True Power 140
Memory 2 x 8GB GeIL Potenza 2400Mhz
Video Card(s) MSI GTX 970 Gaming
Storage 2TB Seagate Barracuda
Display(s) 24" Samsung 1080p LED Monitor
Case Phanteks Enthoo Pro
Power Supply Corsair TX650W
Mouse Logitech MX518
Keyboard Corsair K70 (Brown MX)
Software Windows 8.1
I can't support AMD because I haven't had access to any AMD hardware for the last few years. These little projects are way too time consuming with little to no reward.

With RealTemp I've made about enough to cover the cost of the temperature gun I originally bought and that's it. All the other hardware I bought was out of my own pocket and the thousands of hours I put into project RealTemp has cost me money but hasn't made me any.

The only thing left in my pockets is lint so I have to walk away from the freeware community. I love free software too but the local grocery store doesn't agree with that principle. When I get to the check out line they make me pay with real money, something RealTemp doesn't provide me with. :(

The programmer of RivaTuner learned the same thing and has also moved on to projects that pay like his work for MSI writing Afterburner.

Fair enough man, fair enough!
try selling the code to Realtemp or something :]
unless you already made it open source

xaudiox

I might be able to figure something out using the G92 Rivatuner plugin but trying to develop something when I don't have an 8800GT card to test on is usually a pain. If I have the time to someday look into this then I'll send you a PM and let you know but my time for these one off projects is limited at the moment.

Thats great, I opened the plugin with wordpad and there is a detailed description about what it does.
Dont know much about this stuff but it seems like it would be quite easy to do for someone like yourself. (probably a few lines of code and its done)
I'll be happy to do some testing for you when you get the time to play with it.

Regards, xaudiox.

Dandel

Processor AMD Athlon II X4 630 (3.5ghz)
Motherboard GIGABYTE GA-MA790XT-UD4P
Cooling Sunbeam Core-Contact Freezer
Memory 2x2g A-Data DDR3 1600
Video Card(s) XFX Radeon HD5770
Case Coolermaster HAF 932
Power Supply FSP FX600-GLN
Software Win7 x64 pro
If you are a user of RealTemp, there is a Donation button built into the About... window. If more users would have clicked on that and sent a dollar or two during the last year that would have been plenty to keep these projects going but now it's too late.

I've decided to keep RealTemp freeware without adding any adware, Google tool bars or other junk to it but that decision means that further development has come to an end. I might add ATI graphic card temperature monitoring to RealTemp but other than that minor project, that's about it.

I'm sure you would of seen more donations if AMD users could see how/where to donate for improving Realtemp. However, as it stands now, RealTemp closes out before the amd users can even get to an about dialog.

brandonwh64

Addicted to Bacon and StarCrunches!!!
I was told to post here if i had a error with realtemp and for some reason it WILL NOT work for a Pentium D 830. it says CPU not supported when you start it up. the GREAT TPU member cold storm thought i should bring it up. :) thanks

unclewebb

The Pentium D is based on the Pentium 4 which don't have core temperature sensors so there are no core sensors for RealTemp to read.

You can try using Speed Fan or maybe Everest to read the CPU sensor that these older processors have.

jdsilver86

An option to "Start with Windows".
Dropping it in the Startup menu in Windows 7 doesn't work for me.

I love this program and recommend it to everyone, btw. And I love the C1E toggle on 3.40, unclewebb, that's very useful.

unclewebb

For Windows 7, the best way to add a program to your start up sequence is by using the Task Scheduler. I wrote a little tutorial here over at XtremeSystems.

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showpost.php?p=3970161&postcount=3657

This method also works correctly for users that have UAC enabled.

The latest beta is a good upgrade from version 3.40:

It's almost ready to become the next official version.

For ATI owners you can try adding GPU=2 to the RealTemp.ini file.

King Icewind

System Name Rad Attack
Processor i7 920 @ 4ghz 1.2675
Motherboard EVGA x58 SLI LE
Cooling Enzotech Sapphire CPU along with two Stealth 360 GTS Triple Rads. Rads on side of case.
Memory OCZ XMP DDR3 1600 - 6gig.
Video Card(s) Sapphire HD5850 Crossfire in the near future :)
Storage 640gig HDD
Display(s) 22" Acer P223w
Case Antec Nine Hundred II
Power Supply Corsair 850w
Software Windows 7 64bit
An option to "Start with Windows".
Dropping it in the Startup menu in Windows 7 doesn't work for me.

I love this program and recommend it to everyone, btw. And I love the C1E toggle on 3.40, unclewebb, that's very useful.

For Windows 7, the best way to add a program to your start up sequence is by using the Task Scheduler. I wrote a little tutorial here over at XtremeSystems.

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showpost.php?p=3970161&postcount=3657

This method also works correctly for users that have UAC enabled.

The latest beta is a good upgrade from version 3.40:

It's almost ready to become the next official version.

For ATI owners you can try adding GPU=2 to the RealTemp.ini file.

That is not the best thing you can do to have it start on Windows 7.

All you need to do is click on Start > Go to All Programs > Scroll down to the Start Up Folder > Right click on the Start Up Folder and click Explore > Create a shortcut of the Real Temp .exe and put that shortcut in the Start Up Folder. I have mine setup up like this, very easy. :)

You can do that for any other program too. Why you would want to create a scheduled task is behind me, and is probably a slow down.

Also, added support for ATI's recent cards (58xx's) at least. All of them in general would be nice. :)

Last edited:

unclewebb

Your method is very easy and works great as long as you're not using UAC. I wouldn't touch UAC with a 10 foot pole but some users like it so the Task Scheduler method is for them.

ATI support is based on the ATI driver and having Catalyst installed. Do you have a recent ATI card that is not supported? RealTemp works fine on my Sapphire 5770. Did you try downloading the latest beta version?

Add GPU=2 to the RealTemp.ini file and it just might work.

The magic button should return and it should look something like this:
It also worked in CrossFire last time I checked.

fiznool

Hi unclewebb,

Just want to say thanks ever so much for such a top notch program. It certainly blows CoreTemp, Speedfan etc. out of the water :)

I'm using RealTemp successfully for an embedded Atom-based device which is running Windows Embedded 2009. Its intended for use on the system to run in the background and monitor the CPU Temp to ensure things don't get too toasty...

The two features I'm very interested in are the alert and logging mechanisms. My embedded system has multiple disk partitions - I'd ideally like to run RealTemp from the C:\ drive, but log to the E:\ drive (the C:\ drive is completely write protected and so the log won't be persisted if the embedded device reboots).

I wonder if there is any way for you to add a feature which allows you to specify (perhaps in the .ini file) where the log is written to on the device?

e.g. logFileLocation=E:\logs\

Another nice-to-have feature would be the ability to 'roll' the log file when it gets too large, i.e. limit the file size to (say) 50MB and once it gets to this limit, either start a new log file or purge the oldest entries in the file. I suppose this is harder than the other feature though!

Thanks again for all your hard work! :)

EDIT:

Never mind, I figured it out by accident. For anybody else who is looking for this feature, simply start the RealTemp program from the directory where you want the log file to reside.

So, say you have RealTemp at C:\RealTemp\RealTemp.exe, and you want to log to E:\Logs, simply browse to E:\Logs on the command line, and type C:\RealTemp\RealTemp.exe.

Last edited:

unclewebb

Thanks for getting that figured out. I didn't know that was possible.

I'm limited in time at the moment but I'll keep your "purge the log file" idea in mind.

darkjester

Processor i7 860
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-P55A-UD6
Cooling Stock CPU
Memory 1600Mhz G-Skill Ripjaw
Video Card(s) NVIDIA GTX-260
Storage 64Gb SSD, 1.5Tb SATAII, 1TB USB
Display(s) Generic 19"
Case Lancool Dragonlord K62 (Red Dragon edition)
Some kind of API please?

I am designing a plugin driven sidebar application (somebody else is coding it, I'm just the designer) and I'd love to get the data from RealTemp into a plugin on the sidebar. Is there any chance of some kind of API or messaging system? I'm sure this would come in handy for people wanting to code Windows Vista and 7 desktop widgets too.

orev

With systems having so many cores, a nice feature would be an option to show only the hottest CPU temp. With 4 cores, that's a lot of icons to be showing and the systray gets cluttered.

unclewebb

You could try using ThrottleStop. It lets you display a single system tray icon for the CPU and one for the GPU. I'll look into adding this feature to RealTemp someday too. Intel's next generation of CPUs (Sandy Bridge) is adding a single core temperature sensor. I think at the moment they plan to keep the 4 individual core sensors but maybe someday they will eliminate the individual sensors and just go back to using a single sensor. These CPUs are getting so tiny that individual sensors are not needed as much anymore. If you only want to display one core then you can also select core 0. It tends to be the most accurate. It's impossible for one core to get significantly hotter than the core beside it. As one core heats up, it heats up the core beside it. Most of the differences in core temperature are either short lived or are just a sign of temperature sensors that are not that accurate.

Athlon2K15

HyperVtX™
Processor Intel Core i9 11900K
Motherboard MSI Z590 Carbon EK X
Cooling Custom Water
Memory Team DDR4 4000MHz
Video Card(s) ASUS TUF RTX 3080 OC
Storage WD WN850 1TB
Display(s) 43" LG NanoCell 4K 120Hz
Power Supply Asus Thor 1200w
Mouse Asus Strix Evolve
Keyboard Asus Strix Claymore
Feature Request: Windows 7 Sidebar Gadget that reads temps from realtemp

System Name Rocket
Processor Ryzen 3600X
Motherboard ASRock B450 PRO4
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Memory HyperX Predator Black 16GB DDR4 3200MHz CL16
Video Card(s) MSI GeForce GTX 1060 GAMING X 6GB
Storage ADATA SX8200 PRO 512GB + Intel 535 Series 120GB + WD 6400AAKS
Display(s) Benq EW2420
Case Antec P182
Power Supply Antec Signature 650
Software Win 10
You can use this until someone will do a gadget for RealTemp. :)

System Name Self-Built
Processor Intel Core i7-5960X Haswell-E 8-Core
Motherboard MSI X99A GODLIKE Gaming
Cooling Full Custom Loop
Memory G.SKILL Ripjaws DDR-4 16GB PC4-24000
Video Card(s) EV GA GTX 1080 Classified
Storage Intel 480GB PCI-E x4 SSD + 2x Toshiba 3TB.
Display(s) Dell U3415W 34" Curved Monitor
Case Thermaltake Core X9 Black
Audio Device(s) On-Board
Power Supply CORSAIR AX1500i
Mouse Anker Precision Gaming Mouse
Keyboard DECK Legend Frost
Software Way Too Damned Much!
Benchmark Scores In Progress
v3.60 Bug?

In v3.60 there is no GPU temp showing. Where the reading should be it shows "106A5".
In settings, the GPU Temp checkbox isn't highlighted and is unclickable.
Am I doing something wrong or should I just stick with v3.59.5?
Also, clock speed is about 100MHz off.
Thanks for this great program!

System Name Vika
Processor Intel Core i3 2100
Motherboard Asus P8Z68-V Gen 3
Cooling Stock Intel
Memory G.Skill Ripjaws X 8GB DDR3
Video Card(s) HIS IceQ X Radeon HD 7970 @ 1100/1550
Storage Crucial M4 SSD 64GB, Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB
Display(s) Viewsonic VX2453MH-LED 23.6in LED
Case Fractal Design Arc Midi
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar DG