• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Help Please! Only green SB light on mobo comes on?

Hello,I did a system build. Asus MB M4A78T-E with AMD Phenom II 965 Black Edition and Cooler Master GX 750 PSU. I followed the connections very carefully. When I boot up, all I get is the green SB light on the motherboard and absolutely nothing else! I am a bit frustrated right now! Any help would be greatly appreciated please. Thanks

:banghead:

Frick

Fishfaced Nincompoop
System Name Black MC in Tokyo
Processor Ryzen 5 5600
Motherboard Asrock B450M-HDV
Cooling Be Quiet! Pure Rock 2
Memory 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury 3400mhz
Video Card(s) XFX 6950XT Speedster MERC 319
Storage Kingston A400 240GB | WD Black SN750 2TB |WD Blue 1TB x 2 | Toshiba P300 2TB | Seagate Expansion 8TB
Display(s) Samsung U32J590U 4K + BenQ GL2450HT 1080p
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Audio Device(s) Line6 UX1 + some headphones, Nektar SE61 keyboard
Power Supply Corsair RM850x v3
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Cherry MX Board 1.0 TKL Brown
VR HMD Acer Mixed Reality Headset
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Rimworld 4K ready!
No beeps or anything? Have you tried the usual, switching places on the RAM, trying different memory sticks, processors and so on (if avaliable)?

sneekypeet

Retired Super Moderator
System Name EVA-01
Processor Intel i7 13700K
Motherboard Asus ROG Maximus Z690 HERO EVA Edition
Cooling ASUS ROG Ryujin III 360 with Noctua Industrial Fans
Memory PAtriot Viper Elite RGB 96GB @ 6000MHz.
Video Card(s) Asus ROG Strix GeForce RTX 3090 24GB OC EVA Edition
Storage Addlink S95 M.2 PCIe GEN 4x4 2TB
Display(s) Asus ROG SWIFT OLED PG42UQ
Case Thermaltake Core P3 TG
Audio Device(s) Realtek on board > Sony Receiver > Cerwin Vegas
Power Supply be quiet DARK POWER PRO 12 1500W
Mouse ROG STRIX Impact Electro Punk
Keyboard ROG STRIX Scope TKL Electro Punk
Software Windows 11
clear CMOS???

Athlon2K15

HyperVtX™
Processor Intel Core i9 11900K
Motherboard MSI Z590 Carbon EK X
Cooling Custom Water
Memory Team DDR4 4000MHz
Video Card(s) ASUS TUF RTX 3080 OC
Storage WD WN850 1TB
Display(s) 43" LG NanoCell 4K 120Hz
Power Supply Asus Thor 1200w
Mouse Asus Strix Evolve
Keyboard Asus Strix Claymore
so it does turn on but you get no video. do any fans spin up?

Processor W3520 Xeon
Motherboard Asus Sabertooth X58
Cooling Cool it Vantage
Memory 6gb Dominators
Video Card(s) GTX 460
Storage 60Gb Vertex II 500Gb storage
Display(s) LG 42LH40 42" 1080P
Case 932 HAF
Audio Device(s) Voices in my head
Power Supply Raidmax730/
Software Win7Pro64
Benchmark Scores Pretty High one's. but it's not a contest/ I just read them for the articles.
do you have the 4pin or 8pin connector plugged in?

System Name The Monolith
Processor Core i7 3770k
Motherboard Asus P8Z77-V Pro
Cooling Stock
Memory 4gb 1333 Upgrading to G-Skill Sniper 2x 8gb 2133
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 680 FTW 4gb
Storage OCZ Revo 3 120gb / 1tb WD Caviar Black
Display(s) Westinghouse LVM37 W-3 37"1080p
Case Corsair Obsidian 650D
Audio Device(s) M-Audio Firewire Solo
Power Supply Corsair HX 1050
Software Windows 7 Ultimate x64
Hello,I did a system build. Asus MB M4A78T-E with AMD Phenom II 965 Black Edition and Cooler Master GX 750 PSU. I followed the connections very carefully. When I boot up, all I get is the green SB light on the motherboard and absolutely nothing else! I am a bit frustrated right now! Any help would be greatly appreciated please. Thanks

Could be that you used the wrong 4 pin. I had that happen to me twice and freak the
hell out of me. The mobo had a light but when pressing the power button it
would make a sound like if it powered on for a millisecond and powered off.
I thought I shorted out the computer or something. Then I noticed I plugged a
pci 4 pin into the CPU power. Maybe that is your problem.

Wow! So many responses so quickly. Thanks all! Ok, I am a newbie but have built 2-3 computers before in the past. This is my biggest one to date with EVERYTHING being new. No fans come on, no video, no beeps. I do have two Crucial DDR3 4gb (2x2) dual channel kit memory sticks and the board has two orange slots plus two black slots. The MOBO manual (which surprisingly I actually attempted to read through a bit but was still a bit dizzy on it) said to put both sticks in the orange slots to allow the best overclocking. Didn't really understand how that could relate to OC'ing a cpu but I followed this direction and both are in the Orange slots. On the plug to the CPU/mobo, the power supply has 4 pin connectors. There are a few so perhaps I plugged in the wrong one. But strangely none of the four plugs are marked differently to tell me that they plug in here. One more weird item. The 24 pin power plug is actually two plugs. It is one long one of 20 pins and another one with four pins. When I first opened the package, I thought maybe somehow the four pin broke off the 20 pin but at closer inspection, it does not look like that. So I plugged both of them into the mobo's 24 pin connection. Could this be the problem? I don't think it would be because of the green light on the mobo coming on but I am new to this. Oh, another item. The one thing I forgot to buy was a sata cd/dvd drive so I had to use an older IDE one (Nov 2007) and use the ide mobo connection plus the ide cable. I plan to run to Best Buy today and pick one up if the price is fair (whatever that may be)???

I will try to change the RAM slots and then the four pronged power chords to see if that will work and then get back with you all. Thanks and PLEASE-PLEASE-PLEASE continue to offer suggestions for me to get this rig up and running! Thanks very much for all your help thus far!

UPDATE from a few moments ago:

(1) I tried moving the RAM sticks around but no luck
(2) I tried removing the CMOS battery and reinserting but no luck
(3) I tried plugging in another 4-prong plug into the mobo for the CPU power but no luck. Incidentally there are actually only two 4-prong plugs which are attached two each other. The other 3-4 plugs that I thought were 4-prong plugs are actually 6-pronged plugs.
(4) I tried plugging in just the 20-prong power plug w/o the extra 4-prong plug attached to it but no luck.
(5) I tried disconnecting the ide cd/dvd drive completely but no luck.

Each time I do this I get the GREEN SB light on the mobo to come on and the keyboard flashes a light for 1-2 seconds. Then nothing. The green SB light stays on but no power anywhere else, i.e. fans, led lights, etc.???

UPDATED AGAIN:

I tried a test that was recommended to me in testing the power supply with a paper clip inserted into the green and black wires of the power connector. It worked as the PSU fan came on. I then connected the case's fan to this set-up and it too came on. Sadly when I plugged the power plug back into the mobo, nothing happened. SO I know the PSU is working but I am back to almost square one...

Processor 2500K @ 4.5GHz 1.28V
Motherboard ASUS P8P67 Deluxe
Cooling Corsair A70
Memory 8GB (2x4GB) Corsair Vengeance 1600 9-9-9-24 1T
Video Card(s) eVGA GTX 470
Storage Crucial m4 128GB + Seagate RAID 1 (1TB x 2)
Display(s) Dell 22" 1680x1050 nothing special
Case Antec 300
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply PC Power & Cooling 750W
Software Windows 7 64bit Pro
Try setting up your system outside of the case first. There's the chance that you are shorting something out between the motherboard and the mb tray below. Otherwise, try re-seating all your cards. Some power supplies still have the 20+4 pin setup like yours, make sure to plug both those in like you said. The extra 4 pin power cable (or some have an 8-pin for the motherboard) should be formed such that you can only insert the correct cable. Check the pins on the plug and you'll see that each has a unique shape so that you can only put it in one way (well without excessive force). Lastly, if you're getting no beeps or anything even if the board is outside the case I'd suspect either the motherboard or the cpu is the culprit.

95Viper

Super Moderator
Staff member
You used motherboard stand-offs... yes?

Try a different keyboard.
Un-plug any un-necessary devices.
Switch off and, then, un-plug PSU from wall for ten to twenty seconds. PSU doesn't have a 120/240 switch, does it?
Check and make sure the CPU is properly seated.
Make sure the dips/jumpers are set correctly(on the MB).

Just some ideas...:)

Last edited:
The first time, I misunderstood how the mobo standoffs were suppose to be (don;t know how I missed this but I did). I took the mobo out and made sure to use the standoffs correctly and the mobo is absolutely level now. I reseated the CPU and reinstalled everything outside of the case. I also tried using an older PSU from another computer but no luck to any of these attempts so I am back to square one...???

sneekypeet

Retired Super Moderator
System Name EVA-01
Software Windows 11
Do you have a motherboard/case speaker you can hook up to the motherboard?

Also check the manual for a CLRTC, then be sure the jumper is in the running position not the clearing position.

cadaveca

My name is Dave
If the standoffs were placed incorrectly, there is a chance that now the motherboard is dead. Using a pc speaker, as suggest, should allow you to hear the POST beeps, which will indicate where the failure is.

Ok, to make sure it is the mobo and not the CPU can I do the following:

The computer I am using right now to log on here has an AMD Athlon II 620 Quad core cpu. Could I take the AMD Phenom II 965 Black edition cpu from the one I am having problems with and exchange it with the Athlon II above to find out if it is the CPU that is the problem?

If I have to drop another $100 on a MOBO, I'm ok with that excep that I really want to be sure that is what I need.

Then do you have one you can recommend for me?

Do you have a motherboard/case speaker you can hook up to the motherboard?

Also check the manual for a CLRTC, then be sure the jumper is in the running position not the clearing position.

Are you referring to a little piece of hardware that has a small/tiny 4 pin prong (like the fan prongs) on one end, and what looks like a very tiny barrel on the other end sticking straight out? If so, this did come with one of the packages I opened up (I think w/the mobo). I have it installed on the mobo where it says "Speaker-Ground-Ground-+5v" (one pin for each. This is all on another little prong that has the Power Leds, HDD, Pwr, and Reset. I found where the jumper is for the CLRTC and it is on the correct pins (1-2) for running.

I started again and still get just the green SB light on the mobo...

Processor Core I5 4440 / 4430
Motherboard Asus z87-k / Gigabyte ga h97- d3h
Cooling Arctic freezer / Generic
Memory 8 gb Mushkin / Various
Video Card(s) Radeon 7850 cf / Gtx 690
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 250 gb / 2x1 terabyte hdds Wd 256 gb nvme
Display(s) Technika 32" / Asus 24` ips
Case Corsair
Audio Device(s) X-fi Titanium
Power Supply Corsair 850 w
Software Windows 10
UPDATE from a few moments ago:

(1) I tried moving the RAM sticks around but no luck
(2) I tried removing the CMOS battery and reinserting but no luck
(3) I tried plugging in another 4-prong plug into the mobo for the CPU power but no luck. Incidentally there are actually only two 4-prong plugs which are attached two each other. The other 3-4 plugs that I thought were 4-prong plugs are actually 6-pronged plugs.
(4) I tried plugging in just the 20-prong power plug w/o the extra 4-prong plug attached to it but no luck.
(5) I tried disconnecting the ide cd/dvd drive completely but no luck.

Each time I do this I get the GREEN SB light on the mobo to come on and the keyboard flashes a light for 1-2 seconds. Then nothing. The green SB light stays on but no power anywhere else, i.e. fans, led lights, etc.???

1. Try the 2 sticks separately
2. ---
3. You use both 4-prong plugs on certain motherboards. The other plugs are pci-express plugs
4. If it has 24 prongs then use both plugs
5. Sata/ide dvd-rws make hardly any difference

sneekypeet

Retired Super Moderator
System Name EVA-01
Software Windows 11
no beeps from said speaker when you try to boot?

I would try booting with just the CPU and all the power connected, removing ram, card and any SATA or IDE devices from the board. See if the speaker makes any noise.

System Name RyZen FX
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5900x
Motherboard Gigabyte B550 Aorus Elite AX V2
Cooling DeepCool AK400 Zero Dark Plus
Memory Corsair CMK32GX4M2E3200C16 X2 32gig dual channel
Video Card(s) ASUS RX 7700XT TUF OC
Storage x2 Lexar SSD NM710 2TB 2XSeagate 1Terrabyte 1x Seagate 2 Terrabyte
Display(s) 40 Inch Samsung HDTV (monitor)
Case HAF-X:)
Audio Device(s) AMD/HDMI to Onkyo HT-R508 Receiver
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 G2 Power Supply
Software Windows 10 Pro X64
does this board have the 8in cpu socket,You may need the 4+4 cpu plugged into it.check if it has the black cap remove it and use the 4+4 cpu plug.

Ok this board has just a 4pin cpu socket next to the cpu ziff socket,here is an image fro coolermasters website with your psu cables.

Last edited:
1. Try the 2 sticks separately
2. ---
3. You use both 4-prong plugs on certain motherboards. The other plugs are pci-express plugs
4. If it has 24 prongs then use both plugs
5. Sata/ide dvd-rws make hardly any difference

Thanks - tried all four and no luck!

no beeps from said speaker when you try to boot?

I would try booting with just the CPU and all the power connected, removing ram, card and any SATA or IDE devices from the board. See if the speaker makes any noise.

Ok I did and still no beeps...sadder still....I found out that this computer I am typing on is a AMD 2 socket and the Black edition would not work on this computer. It started to boot up and then said incompatible cpu and booted down. THat was great becuase it told me so and I could just put the original cpu back but....But here is the part that ticked me off. When I removed the original Athlon II 620 Quad core cpu,I saw that HP has it GLUED TO THE HEAT SINK! I can not put it back into the cpu socket to lock down. I add to use an Athlon 64 4000+ (that I luckily had ketp stored) to get back online here. Man I am having a real crappy time with this! Now I have to buy a new cpu for THIS computer and I still do not know what is going on with the other one that I paid almost $1,000 for to build on my own. Very, VERY frustrating.

I am at a loss on what to do next but thanks for helping out.

Ouch. It's not glued, but the paste can be really nasty. Best to take off your heatsinks right after shutdown, that way the thermal paste is more pliable, and the heatsink will come right off. It's damn important to give them a little twist both ways before pulling straight out.

Try using a hair dryer to loosen up the paste, then twist the cpu back and forth. I'm sure it will come off. DO NOT bend any pins!

95Viper

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have never seen HP or any system builder glue a processor to the heatsink. Nothing is impossible I guess.
Dried out TIM or hardened TIM. Stuck...yes, but not glued.
Turn the heatsink over and pour some 90% rubbing alcohol on it(between the heatsink and cpu, not the pins) and see if you can slowly work it free.

EDIT:
Also, MT Alex's hair dryer idea is good.:)

Last edited:
Processor Core I5 4440 / 4430
Motherboard Asus z87-k / Gigabyte ga h97- d3h
Cooling Arctic freezer / Generic
Memory 8 gb Mushkin / Various
Video Card(s) Radeon 7850 cf / Gtx 690
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 250 gb / 2x1 terabyte hdds Wd 256 gb nvme
Display(s) Technika 32" / Asus 24` ips
Case Corsair
Audio Device(s) X-fi Titanium
Power Supply Corsair 850 w
Software Windows 10
Now I have to buy a new cpu for THIS computer and I still do not know what is going on with the other one that I paid almost $1,000 for to build on my own. Very, VERY frustrating.

New cpu or new motherboard .....?

I have never seen HP or any system builder glue a processor to the heatsink. Nothing is impossible I guess.
Dried out TIM or hardened TIM. Stuck...yes, but not glued.
Turn the heatsink over and pour some 90% rubbing alcohol on it(between the heatsink and cpu, not the pins) and see if you can slowly work it free.

EDIT:
Also, MT Alex's hair dryer idea is good.:)

Ok..I guess i need some patience too! My bad on the thought of it being glue but it is REALLY stuck!!!!!

I will try the blow dryer and then the rubbing alcohol. I'll have to pour the RA on a cloth and then rub it in around the edge of the CPU.

On the original problem with the new cpu and mobo, this is what I am going to do so that I KNOW it is the mobo. I am going to unplug everything and take everything out of the case. Then I will place the mobo on the cardboard sheet it came with and start new. I will place one ddr3 card in a slot, connect the monitor, keyboard, and mouse. Then I will connect the 4-pin atx cpu power plug in and the 24-pin power plug in. Lastly I will plug in the soundboard toggle that someone mentioned in a previous post here. This is a small 4-pin "plug" that has what looks like a very tiny "barrel" on the other end and is only about an inch or so long; I will place this in the lower right corner of the motherboard on the pins that the mobo says to place it on. These pins are part of a set of pins that include the led's, Pwr, etc..but I will only plug this in so that I can hear some beeps. then I will power up and start hitting delete to get to the BIOS. Is this correct? Also, if the same stuff happens, i.e. just the green light on the mobo, how ill I proceed forward to determine if I need to buy either a new mobo or a new cpu?

Thanks!