• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Call Of Duty : Black Ops (official thread)

Mussels

Freshwater Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rainbow Sparkles (Power efficient, <350W gaming load)
Processor Ryzen R7 5800x3D (Undervolted, 4.45GHz all core)
Motherboard Asus x570-F (BIOS Modded)
Cooling Alphacool Apex UV - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora + EK Quantum ARGB 3090 w/ active backplate
Memory 2x32GB DDR4 3600 Corsair Vengeance RGB @3866 C18-22-22-22-42 TRFC704 (1.4V Hynix MJR - SoC 1.15V)
Video Card(s) Galax RTX 3090 SG 24GB: Underclocked to 1700Mhz 0.750v (375W down to 250W))
Storage 2TB WD SN850 NVME + 1TB Sasmsung 970 Pro NVME + 1TB Intel 6000P NVME USB 3.2
Display(s) Phillips 32 32M1N5800A (4k144), LG 32" (4K60) | Gigabyte G32QC (2k165) | Phillips 328m6fjrmb (2K144)
Case Fractal Design R6
Audio Device(s) Logitech G560 | Corsair Void pro RGB |Blue Yeti mic
Power Supply Fractal Ion+ 2 860W (Platinum) (This thing is God-tier. Silent and TINY)
Mouse Logitech G Pro wireless + Steelseries Prisma XL
Keyboard Razer Huntsman TE ( Sexy white keycaps)
VR HMD Oculus Rift S + Quest 2
Software Windows 11 pro x64 (Yes, it's genuinely a good OS) OpenRGB - ditch the branded bloatware!
Benchmark Scores Nyooom.
Yeah, but its easier to pick up a pad and game than a mouse and keyboard (for someone that has never.hardly ever used a gaming PC)

Surely you know this?

i dont believe that for a second.

HookeyStreet

Eat, sleep, game!
i dont believe that for a second.

We will have to agree to disagree then.

You said you kicked ass with a controller at LANs and the console only guys sucked on PCs. Thats because its harder for the console only gamer to adjust to the PC. Console FPS titles have aim assist, so even bad players can get a few kills against better skilled guys.

Also, saying that PC gamers in general are better than console gamers is crazy. Thats like saying no matter what your skill level is, on a game that uses a control pad on both platforms (ie a racing game), the PC gamer will ALWAYS beat the console gamer just because he is using a PC. Common m8, doesnt that statement sound crazy to you?

When you say about Microsofts test, your talking about Shadowrun that allowed PC gamers to compete against console gamers (am I right?). Yeah, the console gamers got creamed, because the PC gamers had the better control method. Which doesnt mean they had more skill than the console guys.

Last edited:
System Name TaichiTig
Processor i7 6800K
Motherboard ASRock X99 Taichi
Memory 32GB DDR4 3200
Video Card(s) RTX 4070
Storage SSD + Misc. HDDs in DrivePool
Display(s) BenQ PD3200U, Samsung C32HG70
Case Antec Twelve Hundred
Audio Device(s) Behringer UMC404HD, LSR308, Shure SRH840, AKG K612, Etymotic HF5
Power Supply Corsair 750TX
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Deck Legend Ice Tactile
Software Win10
Gotta agree with Mussels here. I have a friend who has played CoD4 since it was released, only on console. I myself have played FPS games for years, only on PC. Several months ago I tried MW2 on a console and had a hell of a time maneuvering with the controller but had no problem keeping up with the other players' tactics. As for my console-playing friend, I just built him a gaming rig. He picked up the mouse and keyboard almost instantly but his console style and habits got him utterly destroyed when he started on CoD4. We played a map last night and he told me he has had to learn a whole new level of skills and tactics to catch up to the PC gaming crowd. He's catching up though.

Everyone owns/uses computers so everyone is familiar with using a mouse. So not only is it a more accurate input device, it's also something intuitively familiar to many folks.

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
System Name Quantumville™
Processor Intel Core i7-2700K @ 4GHz
Motherboard Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Memory 16GB (2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Black DDR3 PC3-12800 C9 1600MHz)
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2080 SUPER Gaming X Trio
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB | WD Black 4TB | WD Blue 6TB
Display(s) ASUS ROG Strix XG27UQR (4K, 144Hz, G-SYNC compatible) | Asus MG28UQ (4K, 60Hz, FreeSync compatible)
Case Cooler Master HAF 922
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Fatal1ty PCIe
Power Supply Corsair AX1600i
Mouse Microsoft Intellimouse Pro - Black Shadow
Keyboard Yes
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
We will have to agree to disagree then.

You said you kicked ass with a controller at LANs and the console only guys sucked on PCs. Thats because its harder for the console only gamer to adjust to the PC. Console FPS titles have aim assist, so even bad players can get a few kills against better skilled guys.

Also, saying that PC gamers in general are better than console gamers is crazy. Thats like saying no matter what your skill level is, on a game that uses a control pad on both platforms (ie a racing game), the PC gamer will ALWAYS beat the console gamer just because he is using a PC.

Now that sucks. How does it feel to work hard at improving your skills, only to get pwned by some clueless newbie with an auto aim cheat? :mad:

Autoaim in multiplayer should either be disabled entirely (which it normally is) or enabled for all players that join the game. No exceptions.

Mussels

Freshwater Moderator
Staff member
Cooling Alphacool Apex UV - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora + EK Quantum ARGB 3090 w/ active backplate
Memory 2x32GB DDR4 3600 Corsair Vengeance RGB @3866 C18-22-22-22-42 TRFC704 (1.4V Hynix MJR - SoC 1.15V)
Video Card(s) Galax RTX 3090 SG 24GB: Underclocked to 1700Mhz 0.750v (375W down to 250W))
Storage 2TB WD SN850 NVME + 1TB Sasmsung 970 Pro NVME + 1TB Intel 6000P NVME USB 3.2
Display(s) Phillips 32 32M1N5800A (4k144), LG 32" (4K60) | Gigabyte G32QC (2k165) | Phillips 328m6fjrmb (2K144)
Case Fractal Design R6
Power Supply Fractal Ion+ 2 860W (Platinum) (This thing is God-tier. Silent and TINY)
Software Windows 11 pro x64 (Yes, it's genuinely a good OS) OpenRGB - ditch the branded bloatware!
Benchmark Scores Nyooom.
Now that sucks. How does it feel to work hard at improving your skills, only to get pwned by some clueless newbie with an auto aim cheat? :mad:

Autoaim in multiplayer should either be disabled entirely (which it normally is) or enabled for all players that join the game. No exceptions.

it IS enabled for everyone, on the console versions.

hence why there is no PC vs console.

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
System Name Quantumville™
Processor Intel Core i7-2700K @ 4GHz
Motherboard Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Memory 16GB (2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Black DDR3 PC3-12800 C9 1600MHz)
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2080 SUPER Gaming X Trio
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB | WD Black 4TB | WD Blue 6TB
Display(s) ASUS ROG Strix XG27UQR (4K, 144Hz, G-SYNC compatible) | Asus MG28UQ (4K, 60Hz, FreeSync compatible)
Case Cooler Master HAF 922
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Fatal1ty PCIe
Power Supply Corsair AX1600i
Mouse Microsoft Intellimouse Pro - Black Shadow
Keyboard Yes
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
it IS enabled for everyone, on the console versions.

hence why there is no PC vs console.

As a PC only gamer, I didn't know this. lol Thanks. :)

HookeyStreet

Eat, sleep, game!
Gotta agree with Mussels here. I have a friend who has played CoD4 since it was released, only on console. I myself have played FPS games for years, only on PC. Several months ago I tried MW2 on a console and had a hell of a time maneuvering with the controller but had no problem keeping up with the other players' tactics. As for my console-playing friend, I just built him a gaming rig. He picked up the mouse and keyboard almost instantly but his console style and habits got him utterly destroyed when he started on CoD4. He said he has had to learn a whole new level of skills and tactics to catch up to the PC gaming crowd.

But dont you realise its down to the input device, not a players skill??? A control pad is far easier to get to grips with compared to a mouse and keyboard.

Using a PC to surf the net is a lot different to using one to game on.

I have friends that own a PC and console. They use the console for all FPS titles and the console for everything else. Yet when they play an FPS on the console, they suck. But everybody is different.

I wouldnt call it an aimbot lol :roll: Because a control pad is far less responsive compared to a mouse/keyboard combo, you need that little bit of help.

TheMailMan78

Big Member
System Name TheMailbox 5.0 / The Mailbox 4.5
Processor RYZEN 1700X / Intel i7 2600k @ 4.2GHz
Motherboard Fatal1ty X370 Gaming K4 / Gigabyte Z77X-UP5 TH Intel LGA 1155
Cooling MasterLiquid PRO 280 / Scythe Katana 4
Memory ADATA RGB 16GB DDR4 2666 16-16-16-39 / G.SKILL Sniper Series 16GB DDR3 1866: 9-9-9-24
Video Card(s) MSI 1080 "Duke" with 8Gb of RAM. Boost Clock 1847 MHz / ASUS 780ti
Storage 256Gb M4 SSD / 128Gb Agelity 4 SSD , 500Gb WD (7200)
Display(s) LG 29" Class 21:9 UltraWide® IPS LED Monitor 2560 x 1080 / Dell 27"
Case Cooler Master MASTERBOX 5t / Cooler Master 922 HAF
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1220 Audio Codec / SupremeFX X-Fi with Bose Companion 2 speakers.
Power Supply Seasonic FOCUS Plus Series SSR-750PX 750W Platinum / SeaSonic X Series X650 Gold
Mouse SteelSeries Sensei (RAW) / Logitech G5
Keyboard Razer BlackWidow / Logitech (Unknown)
Software Windows 10 Pro (64-bit)
Benchmark Scores Benching is for bitches.
I remember back when they crossed over Quake 3 from the dreamcast to the PC for online multiplayer.

It was a slaughter.

HookeyStreet

Eat, sleep, game!
I remember back when they crossed over Quake 3 from the dreamcast to the PC for online multiplayer.

It was a slaughter.

I bet :D

But would you put that down to indivdual player skill? Or the real reason, the PC has the far superior control method?

System Name TaichiTig
Processor i7 6800K
Memory 32GB DDR4 3200
Video Card(s) RTX 4070
Audio Device(s) Behringer UMC404HD, LSR308, Shure SRH840, AKG K612, Etymotic HF5
Mouse Logitech G502
Software Win10
But dont you realise its down to the input device, not a players skill??? A control pad is far easier to get to grips with compared to a mouse and keyboard.

No I don't think that's true. Like I said, I had a really hard time getting a grip on using a console controller. Yet I can demolish this friend of mine both on my turf (PC) and on his (XBox IIRC). He's been playing CoD4 longer than I have, but on console. I don't learn any faster or have greater coordination or intelligence than he does. I've just had the benefit of playing amongst a more highly skilled community of players, in my opinion.

This is anecdotal, but combining it with a little logic, as well as Microsoft's experiment and the ordeal with Quake 3 ... I find it hard not to conclude that PC gamers simply are of a higher skill level; it's not just their gear.

HookeyStreet

Eat, sleep, game!
No I don't think that's true. Like I said, I had a really hard time getting a grip on using a console controller. Yet I can demolish this friend of mine both on my turf (PC) and on his (XBox IIRC). He's been playing CoD4 longer than I have, but on console. I don't learn any faster or have greater coordination or intelligence than he does. I've just had the benefit of playing amongst a more highly skilled community of players, in my opinion.

But the console version does give you a bit of help, with aim assist. Your friend that doesnt use a PC to game on has to rely on his own skills (when using the PC) which he obviously doesnt have.

So, in a nutshell, because your a PC gamer, your 1337 and could own every console game on there system of choice?

TheMailMan78

Big Member
System Name TheMailbox 5.0 / The Mailbox 4.5
Processor RYZEN 1700X / Intel i7 2600k @ 4.2GHz
Motherboard Fatal1ty X370 Gaming K4 / Gigabyte Z77X-UP5 TH Intel LGA 1155
Cooling MasterLiquid PRO 280 / Scythe Katana 4
Memory ADATA RGB 16GB DDR4 2666 16-16-16-39 / G.SKILL Sniper Series 16GB DDR3 1866: 9-9-9-24
Video Card(s) MSI 1080 "Duke" with 8Gb of RAM. Boost Clock 1847 MHz / ASUS 780ti
Storage 256Gb M4 SSD / 128Gb Agelity 4 SSD , 500Gb WD (7200)
Display(s) LG 29" Class 21:9 UltraWide® IPS LED Monitor 2560 x 1080 / Dell 27"
Case Cooler Master MASTERBOX 5t / Cooler Master 922 HAF
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1220 Audio Codec / SupremeFX X-Fi with Bose Companion 2 speakers.
Power Supply Seasonic FOCUS Plus Series SSR-750PX 750W Platinum / SeaSonic X Series X650 Gold
Mouse SteelSeries Sensei (RAW) / Logitech G5
Keyboard Razer BlackWidow / Logitech (Unknown)
Software Windows 10 Pro (64-bit)
Benchmark Scores Benching is for bitches.
I bet :D

But would you put that down to individual player skill? Or the real reason, the PC has the far superior control method?

Well its simple. Who got the most frags online or offline?

Lets take a PC player and see his top score with other PC players.

Then take a console player and see his top score with other console players.

I'll bet you anything the average PC player has a higher frag count and that would remove any control doubts.

HookeyStreet

Eat, sleep, game!
Well its simple. Who got the most frags online or offline?

Lets take a PC player and see his top score with other PC players.

Then take a console player and see his top score with other console players.

I'll bet you anything the average PC player has a higher frag count and that would remove any control doubts.

But this test would have to be done with every game genre available. Remember, this statement about PC gamers being better than console gamers isnt limited to FPS titles.

Mussels

Freshwater Moderator
Staff member
Case Fractal Design R6
Benchmark Scores Nyooom.
well, i meant it more relating to FPS titles. theres a reason not one FPS player on PC uses gamepads.

also, back on topic:

SP missions, boat level. love the nam background music XD

System Name i7-PC / HTPC / iMac
Processor i7 3820 / Phenom II 940
Motherboard GIGABYTE G1.ASSASSIN2 / M3A79-T Deluxe
Cooling Corsair Hydro H100i / Scythe II (HS only)
Memory G.SKILL Trident X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3 1600mhz / 4GB DDR2 1066 (@800) Corsair Dominator
Video Card(s) GB Radeon HD 7950s 3GB / GB Radeon HD 7950s 3GB
Storage 2x 80GB Intel X-25, 2x600gb SATA, 1x1tb 5400RPM storage /1x600GB, 3x500GB,1x160,1x120 SATA
Display(s) 1x 27" Yamakasi / Vizio 42" HDTV
Case Lian Li Lancool PC-K58 / Antec 900
Audio Device(s) HT Omega Striker 7.1 / Onboard and HDMI from ATi Card
Power Supply PC Power & Cooling 750W / 610W
Software Ubuntu / Windows 8.1 Pro / OS X / PHPStorm / Gaming
Also, saying that PC gamers in general are better than console gamers is crazy. Thats like saying no matter what your skill level is, on a game that uses a control pad on both platforms (ie a racing game), the PC gamer will ALWAYS beat the console gamer just because he is using a PC. Common m8, doesnt that statement sound crazy to you?

not at all. the point is using a pc to game requires more skill than using a controller - NOT that you are automatically better because you use PC. to be any good, you have to be better than the average console user, there is no leeway there.

it's quite obvious, if consolers have a difficult time adjusting to pc and pc gamers have a less difficult time adjusting to console - it's too obvious that a console is easier to learn and use then a pc.

to clarify - it doesn't mean a consoler CAN'T be as skilled as a pc gamer - it's just that by default they are not, and they would have to use pcs to game regularly to do that.

HookeyStreet

Eat, sleep, game!
well, i meant it more relating to FPS titles. theres a reason not one FPS player on PC uses gamepads.

also, back on topic:

SP missions, boat level. love the nam background music XD

You know what, if you change the statement to 'PC gamers are better on FPS titles than console gamerd' I would have to agree.

not at all. the point is using a pc to game requires more skill than using a controller - NOT that you are automatically better because you use PC. to be any good, you have to be better than the average console user, there is no leeway there.

it's quite obvious, if consolers have a difficult time adjusting to pc and pc gamers have a less difficult time adjusting to console - it's too obvious that a console is easier to learn and use then a pc.

to clarify - it doesn't mean a consoler CAN'T be as skilled as a pc gamer - it's just that by default they are not, and they would have to use pcs to game regularly to do that.

No, just because your a PC gamer is doesnt mean your better than the average good console gamer by default!

For example. Im pretty good on Street Fighter II, I used to play it in the arcade for money and never lost a penny. Because your a PC gamer, do you think you could automatically beat me on SFII?

Memory G.SKILL Trident X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3 1600mhz / 4GB DDR2 1066 (@800) Corsair Dominator
Storage 2x 80GB Intel X-25, 2x600gb SATA, 1x1tb 5400RPM storage /1x600GB, 3x500GB,1x160,1x120 SATA
No, just because your a PC gamer is doesnt mean your better than the average good console gamer by default!

on a pc, and average. yes it does.

that's not saying that every pc gamer, even the worst - is better than every console gamer, even the best.it just means by default, on average, that is what you will find.

sure there are console gamers that use pcs, there are those that simply have great natural reflexes and it makes them good regardless. but if we are separating people into groups, than those who ONLY play consoles are not going to be as good on a pc as those who only use pcs, on average.

wow that is complicated, but at the same time very simple and easily understood, imo.

System Name TaichiTig
Processor i7 6800K
Memory 32GB DDR4 3200
Video Card(s) RTX 4070
Mouse Logitech G502
Software Win10
So, in a nutshell, because your a PC gamer, your 1337 and could own every console game on there system of choice?

This isn't about me—I don't consider myself an elite player.

Being unbiased and objective is important to me. From what I've seen firsthand, and heard about other experiments, it seems that the average PC gamer simply takes FPS games to a higher level than the average console gamer does. They have to, just to compete on a platform that gives its players better control over the game.

Does it really matter that much?

HookeyStreet

Eat, sleep, game!
This isn't about me—I don't consider myself an elite player.

Being unbiased and objective is important to me. From what I've seen firsthand, and heard about other experiments, it seems that the average PC gamer simply takes FPS games to a higher level than the average console gamer does. They have to, just to compete on a platform that gives its players better control over the game.

Does it really matter that much?

But thats on FPS titles and tbh, I think PC gamers are better on FPS titles than console gamers. But this doesnt mean PC gamers are better on EVERY genre!

PC gamers are superior on FPS and RTS titles.................I wonder why??? ;)

For example. Im pretty good on Street Fighter II, I used to play it in the arcade for money and never lost a penny. Because your a PC gamer, do you think you could automatically beat me on SFII?

not necessarily on console - or even pc as you basically need a 360 pad for the game to have any worth.

i still don't see how you are not getting it. i think maybe skill isn't the best descriptor.

console games are easier to pick up and learn - that alone supports my point. forget natural skill level - if you are used to using a controller, it will be harder for you to do well with a kb/m, whereas if you are used to kb/m, using a console is not any more difficult.

But thats on FPS titles and tbh, I think PC gamers are better on FPS titles than console gamers. But this doesnt mean PC gamers are better on EVERY genre!

seriously i think the vocab just got in the way, you are saying exactly what i mean. games that are made to do well with kb/m(fps, rts) will be more difficult for consolers, than it would be for pc gamers to pick up a game made for controllers.

System Name TaichiTig
Processor i7 6800K
Memory 32GB DDR4 3200
Video Card(s) RTX 4070
Mouse Logitech G502
Software Win10

I'm only talking about FPS games. Looks like most everyone else here is too.

HookeyStreet

Eat, sleep, game!
not necessarily on console - or even pc as you basically need a 360 pad for the game to have any worth.

i still don't see how you are not getting it. i think maybe skill isn't the best descriptor.

console games are easier to pick up and learn - that alone supports my point. forget natural skill level - if you are used to using a controller, it will be harder for you to do well with a kb/m, whereas if you are used to kb/m, using a console is not any more difficult.

seriously i think the vocab just got in the way, you are saying exactly what i mean. games that are made to do well with kn/m will be more difficult for consolers, than it would be for pc gamers to pick up a game made for controllers.

Exactly, a mouse and keybord combo is superior to a pad when it comes to FPS & RTS titles. So to say that a PC gamer is better at everything than a console gamer is madness.

Could you imagine a guy using a keyboard and mouse play a racing title against someone using a control pad?

I'm only talking about FPS games. Looks like most everyone else here is too.

If thats the case, I agree.

Exactly, a mouse and keybord combo is superior to a pad when it comes to FSP & RTS titles.

right but you also have to consider what effect using either long term has. if you play tons of games for years, but all on console - your effective skill level will have diminished over that time, in regards to using a kb/m.

if you use them regularly, that doesn't happen.

so long term, it is easy to see how it might be considered "more skill"... even if the consoler has the natural stuff to compete with kb/m, it will be harder for them to pick it up and learn it.

Could you imagine a guy using a keyboard and mouse play a racing title against someone using a control pad?

actually yes, i do it often. granted controllers make it easier to relax while playing - but i can do everything on a kb/m you can on a controller with racing games. it's fighting games or any game with combos that becomes difficult. fluidly hitting the points on it is easier with a controller and dpad.

other than that, a controller does not make me any better at racing games, it just makes them easier to play.

HookeyStreet

Eat, sleep, game!
right but you also have to consider what effect using either long term has. if you play tons of games for years, but all on console - your effective skill level will have diminished over that time, in regards to using a kb/m.

if you use them regularly, that doesn't happen.

so long term, it is easy to see how it might be considered "more skill"... even if the consoler has the natural stuff to compete with kb/m, it will be harder for them to pick it up and learn it.

But it still depends on game genre. FPS/RTS, I agree. I stopped playing PC FPS a few years back, now I suck on them :(

every time i've gotten onto a console and VS'd people at lans, i held my own against the consoel gamers, sometimes winning.

the reverse was never true, we put those people on a PC and they were useless.

and before any comments are made about me being somewhere in between: i only own a wii. i am NOT a console gamer, and hate controllers... but i still kick ass on them anyway.

You outta play with some 15 year olds. My brother is absolutely insane on his 360 in any FPS I've seen him play. Halo 3, CoD MW2, CoD BO, etc. Pretty much... any major FPS game he dominates.
But, like you said, put them on a PC and its not even funny, I'd walk circles around him with ease. But the same scenario would occur by putting me on a console vs him, he'd destroy me.

To be honest, I have nothing against consoles and FPS'. I could learn to hold my own but I just would rather be on a PC with my KB and mouse. Besides, for typical people its too expensive to thoroughly enjoy any major new title on a PC. You have to make sure your PC isn't running like crap, make sure it has decent hardware to support the game, etc. It takes a lot of effort to just sit and enjoy a PC game, whereas on any console, its simply a matter of popping the disc in and waiting for it to load. Consoles are perfect for gaming, if THATS ALL you want to do. I don't feel that FPS games belong only on PC's, I just find them more enjoyable with a keyboard and mouse at my hands rather than a controller. RTS' on the other hand... belong ONLY on PC in my opinion. How anyone can actually enjoy an RTS on a console is beyond me.. its gotta be absolutely frustrating trying to control multiple units on a controller.

To each their own on the FPS subject. :)

Now back to Black Ops, hopefully I will have my copy soon... I'm not sure if I'm going to use my 10% off at Best Buy (I'll be buying two copies) or just buy through Steam. I really wish Steam had it for sale for $49... this $59 bullshit is pissing me off.

Last edited: