• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Questions about RMAing

Semi-Lobster

Recently the monitor on my brother's computer has but cutting out, and when it does work there are these weird flickering lines at the top of the monitor. At first I thought it was his monitor but after switching monitors around I now see the problem is with his Powercolor Radeon HD 5770 512MB since his monitor works fine with my desktop.

I've never bothered to RMA a video card before (usually I just replace it) but money is tight for my brother now and he can't really afford a new video card. He bought the card in late December from an online retailer (ncix, a pretty popular Canadian website for computer stuff), do you think he can still RMA it? What exactly do I have to do to RMA a video card? Sorry if this gets posted a lot or if theres a sticky but I didn't notice one

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Processor Intel Core i7 10850K@5.2GHz
Motherboard AsRock Z470 Taichi
Cooling Corsair H115i Pro w/ Noctua NF-A14 Fans
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Video Card(s) RTX 2070 Super
Storage 500GB SX8200 Pro + 8TB with 1TB SSD Cache
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG280K 4K 28"
Case Fractal Design Define S
Audio Device(s) Onboard is good enough for me
Power Supply eVGA SuperNOVA 1000w G3
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
If it was bought that long ago, chances are NCIX won't take it back. However, the card should still be covered under the manufacturer warranty, so contact them for an RMA. They will give you instructions on where to send it.

Semi-Lobster

If it was bought that long ago, chances are NCIX won't take it back. However, the card should still be covered under the manufacturer warranty, so contact them for an RMA. They will give you instructions on where to send it.

I wasn't expecting ncix to take it back but I was hoping to send it to Powercolor. Its very weird what happens though, the computer starts up fine and starts up windows but when it starts loading up the desktop the entire screen goes blank but the backlight on the monitor is still on.

I'm also sure its not some other issues either since my brother's OCZ ModXStream 500w PSU should be fine with running a 5770 (a very low power consuming card) and an Athlon II X2 620 (a very low power consuming CPU)

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Processor Intel Core i7 10850K@5.2GHz
Motherboard AsRock Z470 Taichi
Cooling Corsair H115i Pro w/ Noctua NF-A14 Fans
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Video Card(s) RTX 2070 Super
Storage 500GB SX8200 Pro + 8TB with 1TB SSD Cache
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG280K 4K 28"
Case Fractal Design Define S
Audio Device(s) Onboard is good enough for me
Power Supply eVGA SuperNOVA 1000w G3
Software Windows 10 Pro x64

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
System Name Quantumville™
Processor Intel Core i7-2700K @ 4GHz
Motherboard Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Memory 16GB (2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Black DDR3 PC3-12800 C9 1600MHz)
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2080 SUPER Gaming X Trio
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB | WD Black 4TB | WD Blue 6TB
Display(s) ASUS ROG Strix XG27UQR (4K, 144Hz, G-SYNC compatible) | Asus MG28UQ (4K, 60Hz, FreeSync compatible)
Case Cooler Master HAF 922
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Fatal1ty PCIe
Power Supply Corsair AX1600i
Mouse Microsoft Intellimouse Pro - Black Shadow
Keyboard Yes
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Semi, sorry if this sounds pedantic, but did you see this flashing/cutting out on the other monitor? You need to have seen this for a double verify, otherwise it leaves open the possibility that the monitor is still faulty, but the fault shows up more with some graphics cards than others. This is because the precise video timing varies from card to card.

I've seen this myself recently with a faulty LCD monitor.

Semi-Lobster

Semi, sorry if this sounds pedantic, but did you see this flashing/cutting out on the other monitor? You need to have seen this for a double verify, otherwise it leaves open the possibility that the monitor is still faulty, but the fault shows up more with some graphics cards than others. This is because the precise video timing varies from card to card.

I've seen this myself recently with a faulty LCD monitor.

Yes I did see flashing on the other monitor (my 23" Acer) and I tested my brother's monitor on my computer and there was no issue.

What I did notice though was that when my monitor was connected to my brother's computer it did not experience the same 'dead screen' like his own monitor did but there was flickering. When his monitor was attached to my computer there was absolutely no issues.

He's had this monitor for about 6 months now and the top of the screen always flickered when browsing the internet but not when gaming but about 3 months ago his monitor get going to black shortly after start up and 1 out of every 4 tries it would work but starting last month it ALWAYS loses its connection. I've tried both VGA and DVI