• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

can't boot windows after motherboard switch

panchoman

Sold my stars!
Processor Amd Athlon X2 4600+ Windsor(90nm) EE(65W) @2.9-3.0 @1.45
Motherboard Biostar Tforce [Nvidia] 550
Cooling Thermaltake Blue Orb-- bunch of other fans here and there....
Memory 2 gigs (2x1gb) of patriot ddr2 800 @ 4-4-4-12-2t
Video Card(s) Sapphire X1950pro Pci-E x16 @stock@stock on stock
Storage Seagate 7200.11 250gb Drive, WD raptors (30/40) in Raid 0
Display(s) ANCIENT 15" sony lcd, bought it when it was like 500 bucks
Case Apevia X-plorer blue/black
Audio Device(s) Onboard- Why get an sound card when you can hum??
Power Supply Antec NeoHe 550-manufactured by seasonic -replacement to the discontinued smart power series
Software Windows XP pro SP2 -- vista is still crap
So, i got back home to find my motherboard and/or cpu to be dead (fans running, no video). so i went to the basement and pulled out my old rig :
biostar tforce 550 (nforce 550 chipset) and an athlonx2 4600 windsor i believe.

the rig that died was a gigabyte g33 (stripped variant of p35 chipset) mobo and a c2d e8200 maybe.

so windows 7 as normal wouldn't boot, due to driver conflicts probably.. so i tried to boot it in safe mode w/ networking.. still no go. it stalls after loading the classpnp.sys driver and then reboot. startup repair just does its "attempting repairs for 5 hours without letting you cancel" routine afterwards, because of the failure..

how can i get this to work? i'm already dealing with a hard drive failure on my laptop... please help me save my desktop!

Great Yarmouth, United Kingdom.{East Anglian Coast
System Name Hells Core.
Processor Ryzen 9 5950x
Motherboard Asus Crosshair hero viii (wifi) x570
Cooling AlphaCool Aurora 420mm
Memory Patriot Viper Gaming RGB Series DDR4 DRAM 4133MHz 32GB Kit
Video Card(s) MSI Gaming X Trio 3070
Storage Sabrent 1TB Rocket Nvme PCIe 4.0 M.2
Display(s) Acer Predator XB271HU
Case Thermaltake Core X71
Power Supply Corsair RM850 80 plus gold
Software Windows 10
You sir sound like you arent having much luck!

I wish i could help further but the best bet is normally a fresh install. Or a windows repair it should keep your files but you'd have to reload drivers,

panchoman

Sold my stars!
Power Supply Antec NeoHe 550-manufactured by seasonic -replacement to the discontinued smart power series
You sir sound like you arent having much luck!

I wish i could help further but the best bet is normally a fresh install. Or a windows repair it should keep your files but you'd have to reload drivers,

gah.. fresh install is going to be nearly impossible just because of how much stuff is on here that's important... and you're suggesting that an alternative is a repair install right? could do that, but it'd be a real pain... is there any way to remove old drivers? no way to do from linux right? i'm just suprised that windows wont work even with safe mode...

going to do a system restore, see if that helps at all..

System Name MRCOMP!
Processor 5800X3D
Motherboard MSI Gaming Plus
Cooling Corsair 280 AIO
Memory 64GB 3600mhz
Video Card(s) GTX3060
Storage 1TB SSD
Display(s) Samsung Neo
Case No Case... just sitting on cardboard :D
Power Supply Antec 650w
if its vista or windows 7, just reinstall it over the top of the old install, any files on that HDD/Partition will be moved into a folder called Windows.OLD.

boot the disk/usb, select advanced or custom install and select the current windows partition and hit install. it will warn you that any files will be moved to the folder "windows.old", click yes and proceed with the install as normal.

nothing will be deleted, well maybe the pagefile and hiber.sys file... but nothing importaint.

Pro Tip :D

set your windows partition to around 50GB, install windows, driver and all the programs you will ever use, then create an image that that and save it somewhere. next time you need to reinstall windows just copy the image back and you have a fresh install :D

panchoman

Sold my stars!
is there anyway that i can manually delete drivers (like literally deleting the files) so that they aren't functional and windows resorts to its own?

also, the reverse of that, is there anyway i get windows to use default drivers besides safe mode..

i believe that i might be able to edit the windows registry through linux.. if theres someway that hacking up the registry might disable the drivers?

panchoman

Sold my stars!
if its vista or windows 7, just reinstall it over the top of the old install, any files on that HDD/Partition will be moved into a folder called Windows.OLD.

boot the disk/usb, select advanced or custom install and select the current windows partition and hit install. it will warn you that any files will be moved to the folder "windows.old", click yes and proceed with the install as normal.

Pro Tip :D

set your windows partition to around 50GB, install windows, driver and all the programs you will ever use, then create an image that that and save it somewhere. next time you need to reinstall windows just copy the image back and you have a fresh install :D

nothing will be deleted, well maybe the pagefile and hiber.sys file... but nothing importaint.

i'd still have to deal with a clean registry and reinstalling right?

as for installing on top.. wouldn't a repair install be better if i go down that route? might see if i can just try and back up and everything start fresh =/

i like the pro tip btw! smart idea.

Great Yarmouth, United Kingdom.{East Anglian Coast
System Name Hells Core.
Processor Ryzen 9 5950x
Motherboard Asus Crosshair hero viii (wifi) x570
Cooling AlphaCool Aurora 420mm
Memory Patriot Viper Gaming RGB Series DDR4 DRAM 4133MHz 32GB Kit
Video Card(s) MSI Gaming X Trio 3070
Storage Sabrent 1TB Rocket Nvme PCIe 4.0 M.2
Display(s) Acer Predator XB271HU
Case Thermaltake Core X71
Power Supply Corsair RM850 80 plus gold
Software Windows 10
Im not really clued up with linux never used it,

If you cant get into windows through safe mode i dont think there is another way unless you can remove the hardrive and plug it in else where as a storage drive and either save all the files you need or delete the driver files. then plug it back in and try.

goodluck.

System Name MRCOMP!
Processor 5800X3D
Cooling Corsair 280 AIO
Memory 64GB 3600mhz
Video Card(s) GTX3060
Storage 1TB SSD
Display(s) Samsung Neo
Power Supply Antec 650w
iv only ever had around a 60% sucess rate with repairs and as such dont use that feature anymore.

yes you would need to install drivers and such... however nearly 100% of the old programs would still work and all user files would still be there.... all you would need to do is locate them in windows.old and copy/paste them to the new install and create some shortcuts.

you could even copy/paste your favourites back into firefox/IE/Chrome.

any programs that dont work usualy tell you why and its normaly due to a missing .DLL file... easy fix. goto google, type in the name of the file XXX.dll and download it, then place it in the system32 folder and try to run the program again, chances are it will either work or tell you its missing a 2nd .dll

Pro link :p
if you do reinstall windows i highly reccomend you goto http://ninite.com/ and select all the programs you usualy install, this will do the install automaticaly for you. very simple and quick.
p.s its safe, legit and free for personal use.

as for the registery... it plays very little part in most programs.... usualy only use'd for patches (to tell the installer where the application is located) and or cd keys. iv never seen a program fail to do its job due to lost regisery settings.

Last edited:

panchoman

Sold my stars!
iv only ever had around a 60% sucess rate with repairs and as such dont use that feature anymore.

yes you would need to install drivers and such... however nearly 100% of the old programs would still work and all user files would still be there.... all you would need to do is locate them in windows.old and copy/paste them to the new install and create some shortcuts.

you could even copy/paste your favourites back into firefox/IE/Chrome.

any programs that dont work usualy tell you why and its normaly due to a missing .DLL file... easy fix. goto google, type in the name of the file XXX.dll and download it, then place it in the system32 folder and try to run the program again, chances are it will either work or tell you its missing a 2nd .dll

Pro link :p
if you do reinstall windows i highly reccomend you goto http://ninite.com/ and select all the programs you usualy install, this will do the install automaticaly for you. very simple and quick.
p.s its safe, legit and free for personal use.

looks like i might just back up using linux live and then completely reformat and rebuild from the ground up...

love that link! it's like google pack on steroids! thanks!

System Name MRCOMP!
Processor 5800X3D
Cooling Corsair 280 AIO
Memory 64GB 3600mhz
Video Card(s) GTX3060
Storage 1TB SSD
Display(s) Samsung Neo
Power Supply Antec 650w
looks like i might just back up using linux live and then completely reformat and rebuild from the ground up...

love that link! it's like google pack on steroids! thanks!

no worrys... i had never herd/seen google pack before either.. glad i found ninite tho...... SOOO MANY HOURS SAVED due to this one website lol.

System Name The wifes worst enemy
Processor i5-9600k
Motherboard Asrock z390 phantom gaming 4
Cooling water
Memory 16gb G.skill ripjaw DDR4 2400 4X4GB 15-15-15-35-2T
Video Card(s) Asrock 5600xt phantom gaming 6gb 14gb/s
Storage crucial M500 120GB SSD, Pny 256GB SSD, seagate 750GB, seagate 2TB HDD, WD blue 1TB 2.5" HDD
Display(s) 27 inch samsung @ 1080p but capable of much more ;)
Case Corsair AIR 540 Cube Mid tower
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply EVGA GQ1000W MODULAR
Mouse generic for now
Keyboard generic for now
Software gotta love steam, origin etc etc
Benchmark Scores http://hwbot.org/user/philbrown_23/
the problem is you are going from an intel to an amd chipset. if you were going intel to intel or amd to amd you would be fine If you dont wanna loose stuff I'd say get another hdd and fresh install then copy+paste or get another board of the same manufacturer chipset

panchoman

Sold my stars!
no worrys... i had never herd/seen google pack before either.. glad i found ninite tho...... SOOO MANY HOURS SAVED due to this one website lol.

google has loads of things that are hardly known. pack.google.com is like a really scaled down version of ninite. but ninite is just like WOW!

robn

Processor i7 920 @ 3520MHz locked on 1.04V, all features on
Motherboard Biostar T-Power x58 + ASUS U3S6 + Broadcom WiFi
Cooling Akasa Nero S on the i7 + 2 Akasa Apache case fans
Memory 24Gig Kingston HyperX DDR3
Video Card(s) XFX GTX260 216 XT
Storage 240Gig SanDisk SSD, 750Gig Spinpoint F1
Display(s) BenQ E2200HD
Case Coolermaster Elite 334
Audio Device(s) Realtek(!) with M-Audio AV40 + Wharfedale SW150
Power Supply Antec EarthWatts 650
Software Win7 64 Pro / Fedora KDE
Benchmark Scores wPrime 32M 7.265sec - 3DMark2001 57673 - Intel Linpack 50.6237 GFlops
is there anyway that i can manually delete drivers (like literally deleting the files) so that they aren't functional and windows resorts to its own?

also, the reverse of that, is there anyway i get windows to use default drivers besides safe mode..

i believe that i might be able to edit the windows registry through linux.. if theres someway that hacking up the registry might disable the drivers?

You can edit registry "remote" style, i.e. load up another system's hive. Registry is stored in files in ...\windows\system32\config. There are Linux rescue discs that have apps to do it, or you could transplant the HDD as a data drive in another Windows machine. Once you have the registry opened, drivers are listed under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet...\Enum.

You will likely see a couple of control sets existing from when Windows has figured your setup has changed, but you might switch back (I think). Delete devices under "enum" as you see fit. CurrentControlSet is a "live" copy of one of the other sets, that Windows creates on boot, so I think it should be ignored.

Next boot will cause plug and play process to run and fix stuff.

Obviously, reg editing = backup first / know what the consequences are / etc.

There may also be startup software related to devices (think realtek audio control panel) that should be removed from HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

I must say, I've heard about fixing this way years ago, but never fancied trying it!