• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Throttling?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, sorry for these noobish threads lately. THE COMPUTERS HAVE CONSPIRED AGAINST ME!!!

So my internet connection has been slow as of the last two days. Youtube videos load sooo slowly even at 360p. I have to turn it down to 240p. Yuck. Even some streaming audio sites buffer super slow. My ping seems unusually high when I was gaming in BF2.

I'm currently in school, so it's their network and all. I've done some moderate torrenting in the past. Legality questionable. (I would argue that what I dl'ed is legal) So they might be throttleing because of that.

My network is super simple. Router is a D-Link DIR-615 running DD-WRT. There are two laptops that are connected wirelessly. QoS is enabled, but is only set to put bittorrent traffic on one specific port as the lowest priority. Edit: QoS turned off, same issue. Even tried resetting the router. No go.

One of the laptop is my roommate's. He does watch alot of streaming video, but he's always done this. We haven't had any issues until now.

I'm guessing that it's bing throttled because my upload is fine. My download speed should be at least equal to my upload, so clearly somethin's up.

Any guesses? Need more info? Whatever you want me to do, I'll do it. Thanks.

streetfighter 2

This thread confuses me, as does the Snuggie, decaf coffee and wave-particle duality.

Why don't you email your network administrator (usually the IT department at colleges/unis)? Obviously you'll want to make sure that the problem is external to your router first though.

You might write something like the following:
Dear Sir or Madam,
The downstream of my tubes has slowed to an inhospitable level, much to my chagrin. I have made any and all attempts to diagnose my tubular impediment but have been so far unsuccessful. I am writing to you in the hopes that you will take it upon yourself to discover and abrogate my cylinder constipation.

Most respectfully yours,
angelkiller, daemon of the interwebz

Last edited:
This thread confuses me, as does the Snuggie, decaf coffee and wave-particle duality.

Why don't you email your network administrator (usually the IT department at colleges/unis)? Obviously you'll want to make sure that the problem is external to your router first though.
Uh-oh. What's confusing? (I didn't mean to make this thread as confusing as Snuggies!)

I would email the IT people, but I want to make sure that that's the issue. (as well as have evidence)

the54thvoid

Intoxicated Moderator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard MSI MAG Mortar B650 (wifi)
Cooling be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4
Memory 32GB Kingston Fury
Video Card(s) Gainward RTX4070ti
Storage Seagate FireCuda 530 M.2 1TB / Samsumg 960 Pro M.2 512Gb
Display(s) LG 32" 165Hz 1440p GSYNC
Case Asus Prime AP201
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply be quiet! Pure POwer M12 850w Gold (ATX3.0)
Software W10
I probably wont help but i live in an old house with an old line with about 3-4 miles from the exchange. My dl speed (realtime - not estimated) is about 500kbs (or 0.5Mbs). I can watch streaming HD content from the BBC i-player website and my youtube speeds are fine (gaming pings are fine too).

If your screenie is of your dl speeds, i'd suggest they're not even 0.5Mb. Do a thorough malware/virus/adware scan and then if it's not that and your pc is runnng fine, yeah, maybe you are being throttled (for being a pirate, arrhh!).

Though you'd think you'd get a warning email from the administrator to say either (a) you've been dl'ing illegally or (b) you're near your dl limit....

streetfighter 2

I would email the IT people, but I want to make sure that that's the issue. (as well as have evidence)
I'd probably start with pinging your router then throwing some data around (ie. transfer some big files between you and another computer connected to your router). If those speeds are consistent with expectations (of low latency/high transfer rate) then do a tracert to google.com and see how many hops you have till you're outside of your school's gateway. Try pinging all the hops to your schools gateway (while varying the packet size :cool:) and make sure they're all kosher (<10ms). You can also try transferring some large files to someone at your school in a different subnet and see if that's fast. Finally, try running speed tests at several servers to make sure it's not just a problem with the one server you were using.

Obviously you'll want to also scan your computer for viruses and whatnot. That goes without saying though doesn't it? ;)

I'd probably start with pinging your router then throwing some data around (ie. transfer some big files between you and another computer connected to your router). If those speeds are consistent with expectations (of low latency/high transfer rate) then do a tracert to google.com and see how many hops you have till you're outside of your school's gateway. Try pinging all the hops to your schools gateway (while varying the packet size :cool:) and make sure they're all kosher (<10ms). You can also try transferring some large files to someone at your school in a different subnet and see if that's fast. Finally, try running speed tests at several servers to make sure it's not just a problem with the one server you were using.

Obviously you'll want to also scan your computer for viruses and whatnot. That goes without saying though doesn't it? ;)
  • Ping to the router is good (3ms)
  • My desktop isn't functional atm and my roommate's out, so I only have one computer
  • I did a tracert to google. TBH, I'm not sure how to interpert the results. Looks like step 4 is unusually high and it's on my school's network.
  • I pinged every hop on my school's network with 32, 64, 128, and 256 bytes of data. (I wish I knew how to write scripts) Almost always, the average ping was under 50ms. Sometimes under 10ms. To my surprise, alot of requests timed out. Especially at number 4. But overall, the pings were good. (nothing excessive)
  • I was not aware that you could transfer files across different subnets.
  • Tried different servers on two different sites, all exhibited similar behavior.
  • Ms Security Essentials's quick scan found nothing, and the full scan has been running for 45min now. Nothing so far.
I've been considering copy pasting your letter and sending that. :D

streetfighter 2

1. Ping to the router is good (3ms)
  2. My desktop isn't functional atm and my roommate's out, so I only have one computer
  3. I did a tracert to google. TBH, I'm not sure how to interpert the results. Looks like step 4 is unusually high and it's on my school's network.
  4. I pinged every hop on my school's network with 32, 64, 128, and 256 bytes of data. (I wish I knew how to write scripts) Almost always, the average ping was under 50ms. Sometimes under 10ms. To my surprise, alot of requests timed out. Especially at number 4. But overall, the pings were good. (nothing excessive)
  5. I was not aware that you could transfer files across different subnets.
  6. Tried different servers on two different sites, all exhibited similar behavior.
  7. Ms Security Essentials's quick scan found nothing, and the full scan has been running for 45min now. Nothing so far.

I've been considering copy pasting your letter and sending that. :D
3.) Admittedly I'm having trouble interpreting them too, they're really blurry! :roll: :laugh:
It appears that the fourth hop had 2 drops before it responded. Your low speed connection might be because you're having trouble getting past whatever the fourth hop is.
4.) The timed out requests are not good. That could cause your connection speed to drop if your connection is routed through those nodes.
5.) You can transfer files over the internet can't you? Why not your school's subnets then? :D

Also, my letter was a joke and unless you've personally met some of the people in the IT department it would be strongly inadvisable to send. :p

Kreij

Senior Monkey Moderator
May I ask a few questions ?

1) What is your normal download speed?
2) Why are you obfiscating the traceroute endpoints in your picture? We cannot check the endpoints from other locations without at least their IPAs.
3) Do you have to log into the school network to use it, or are they assigning you a static IP or caching your MAC address?
4) Define "Moderate Torrenting".
5) Got any beer? lol J/K

3.) Admittedly I'm having trouble interpreting them too, they're really blurry! :roll: :laugh:
It appears that the fourth hop had 2 drops before it responded. Your low speed connection might be because you're having trouble getting past whatever the fourth hop is.
4.) The timed out requests are not good. That could cause your connection speed to drop if your connection is routed through those nodes.
5.) You can transfer files over the internet can't you? Why not your school's subnets then? :D

Also, my letter was a joke and unless you've personally met some of the people in the IT department it would be strongly inadvisable to send. :p
Hmm. I'm not following you on the transfer thing. How would I go about transferring files on a friend's computer? I have no access to it. The only way I know of is to do that would be to setup a ftp server or something similar. When I want to transfer something on my local network, I just use the built in Windows thing. Have I missed something?

May I ask a few questions ?

1) What is your normal download speed?
2) Why are you obfiscating the traceroute endpoints in your picture? We cannot check the endpoints from other locations without at least their IPAs.
3) Do you have to log into the school network to use it, or are they assigning you a static IP or caching your MAC address?
4) Define "Moderate Torrenting".
5) Got any beer? lol J/K

1) I' can't remember my normal download speed, but as I recall, it was around 10Mbps. Nothing even close to this.
2) I blurred the info to protect my identity. I wasn't sure how revealing that info was. Whatever though, here's the original.
3) I'm not sure exactly. I do have to log in initially, but only once and I connect fine after that. The login system says that it's powered by 'Cisco Clean Access', which has apparently changed its name since then to 'Cisco NAC Applience'. If that helps at all.
4) Moderate torrenting as in I download something (which would complete in ~20min) and then I try to seed it to a 1:2 (down:up) ratio. I don't seed 24/7, but I may seed for 6 or so hours a day. And that's not every day. I don't consider my use excessive by any means. uTorrent says in the last 31 days I've downloaded 7.6 GB and uploaded 5.6 GB. However, my router shows this for December 2010. The difference is my roommate, who watches a ton of tv online. And also some of the totals that uTorrent reported was downloaded at my house.
5) No beer unfortunately. :shadedshu No beer =/= sober

Last edited:

streetfighter 2

Hmm. I'm not following you on the transfer thing. How would I go about transferring files on a friend's computer? I have no access to it. The only way I know of is to do that would be to setup a ftp server or something similar. When I want to transfer something on my local network, I just use the built in Windows thing. Have I missed something?
You haven't missed a beat actually.

I was assuming you had a similarly technically inclined friend in, perhaps, another dorm or location whereby the subnet would be different. You could then transfer a file over whatever your preferred vector might be (FTP, SSH/SFTP, etc.). Chances are your school and/or one of your classes has provided you with a login/pass to a school server with which you could transfer a file as a test.

Honestly my technique is really more about finding where the slowdown starts, but is not very efficient at discovering what is causing the slowdown. Kreij is probably a better source for such a method.

2) I blurred the info to protect my identity. I wasn't sure how revealing that info was. Whatever though, here's the original.
OMFG I HAZ UR IP, IZ BACKTRACE U!1 :roll:
Dude, your IP isn't shown in a tracert. Although I guess we do now know that you're at NC state. :slap:

The first 4 hops are on (your and) your schools network then the next 5 hops are through the NCREN network and finally out to google servers. Looks to me like whatever is slowing you down is related to the fourth hop and/or something wrong with the NCREN network (which I think is unlikely). It's certainly possible that the Cisco NAC Appliance is enforcing restrictions on your connection because your roommate watches too much internet TV.

You might want to try unplugging the WAN port from the router and plugging it into your laptop, then login to the Cisco NAC Appliance and see if your connection still sucks.

You may also want to try getting beer. :p

Last edited:

Ok, the issue is my router. I plugged an ethernet cable straight into the wall to my computer and everything works. So something in my router is causing the slowdown.

Now if you'll excuse me, I need to sulk in my noobishness.

Processor Intel® Core™ i7-8700K CPU @ 3.70GHz
Motherboard EVGA 121-KS-E375
Cooling Stock (Temp.)
Memory GEIL 8192 MB X2 (DDR4-2137) - XMP 2.0 - P/N: CL16-16-16 D4-2400
Video Card(s) NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER (TU104-410)
Storage Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB & Samsung SSD 950 PRO 256GB
Display(s) LG 32" Widescreen
Case Corsair Carbide Series 400
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Corsair HX850 Platinum
Mouse Razer Viper Ultimate
Keyboard DAS
Software Windows 10 20H2 64 Bit
i would make sure bitcommet or whatever torrent app isnt running that will kill ur d/l speeds

wolf

Performance Enthusiast
System Name MightyX
Processor Ryzen 5800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X570 I Aorus Pro WiFi
Cooling Scythe Fuma 2
Memory 32GB DDR4 3600 CL16
Video Card(s) Asus TUF RTX3080 Deshrouded
Storage WD Black SN850X 2TB
Display(s) LG 42C2 4K OLED
Case Coolermaster NR200P
Audio Device(s) LG SN5Y / Focal Clear
Power Supply Corsair SF750 Platinum
Mouse Corsair Dark Core RBG Pro SE
Keyboard Glorious GMMK Compact w/pudding
VR HMD Meta Quest 3
Software case populated with Artic P12's
Benchmark Scores 4k120 OLED Gsync bliss
good to see the issue fixed but;

what is so confusing about a Sunggie? you only have to wear one to immerse yourself in the warmth of understanding :)

Easy Rhino

Linux Advocate
Staff member
System Name Desktop
Processor i5 13600KF
Motherboard AsRock B760M Steel Legend Wifi
Cooling Noctua NH-U9S
Memory 4x 16 Gb Gskill S5 DDR5 @6000
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Gaming OC 6750 XT 12GB
Storage WD_BLACK 4TB SN850x
Display(s) Gigabye M32U
Case Corsair Carbide 400C
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 650 P2
Mouse MX Master 3s
Keyboard Logitech G915 Wireless Clicky
Software The Matrix
System Name RemixedBeast-NX
Processor Intel Xeon E5-2690 @ 2.9Ghz (8C/16T)
Motherboard Dell Inc. 08HPGT (CPU 1)
Cooling Dell Standard
Memory 24GB ECC
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Nvidia RTX2060 6GB
Storage 2TB Samsung 860 EVO SSD//2TB WD Black HDD
Display(s) Samsung SyncMaster P2350 23in @ 1920x1080 + Dell E2013H 20 in @1600x900
Case Dell Precision T3600 Chassis
Audio Device(s) Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 80 // Fiio E7 Amp/DAC
Power Supply 630w Dell T3600 PSU
Mouse Logitech G700s/G502
Keyboard Logitech K740
Software Linux Mint 20
Benchmark Scores Network: APs: Cisco Meraki MR32, Ubiquiti Unifi AP-AC-LR and Lite Router/Sw:Meraki MX64 MS220-8P
I noticed the same thing too....

and I have 4 snuggies! LOL

Bo$$

Lab Extraordinaire
System Name Desktop | Server
Processor Intel i7 2700k @ 4.6GHZ | AMD 5350 @ 2500MHZ
Motherboard Asus P7Z77-V Pro | Asus AM1I-A
Cooling Corsair H60v2 | Stock Air
Memory Crucial Ballistix 2x8GB CL8 1600MHZ | Corsair Vengence 2x4GB CL9 1600MHZ
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 1060 6GB | PNY GTX 750Ti
Storage Samsung 840 EVO 250GB + 4TB WD Red | 2x Seagate Barracuda 2TB
Display(s) Samsung S27D390H + Asus VE276Q | Headless
Case Fractal Design R5 | CM Elite 110
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar D1 w/Otone Stilo 5.1 and Creative Fatal1ty headset
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 850 G2| Corsair CX430M
Mouse Razer Imperator 2012
Keyboard Corsair K90
Software Windows 7 SP1 X64 | Ubuntu 16.04LTS
Snuggies, bane of existance...
Snuggies were the devils creation!
i would rather die of not being able to use my hands for 2 mins than wear a snuggie

System Name RemixedBeast-NX
Processor Intel Xeon E5-2690 @ 2.9Ghz (8C/16T)
Motherboard Dell Inc. 08HPGT (CPU 1)
Cooling Dell Standard
Memory 24GB ECC
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Nvidia RTX2060 6GB
Storage 2TB Samsung 860 EVO SSD//2TB WD Black HDD
Display(s) Samsung SyncMaster P2350 23in @ 1920x1080 + Dell E2013H 20 in @1600x900
Case Dell Precision T3600 Chassis
Audio Device(s) Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 80 // Fiio E7 Amp/DAC
Power Supply 630w Dell T3600 PSU
Mouse Logitech G700s/G502
Keyboard Logitech K740
Software Linux Mint 20
Benchmark Scores Network: APs: Cisco Meraki MR32, Ubiquiti Unifi AP-AC-LR and Lite Router/Sw:Meraki MX64 MS220-8P
oh why? they are so comfy and they are excellent for using as towels too!

Bo$$

Lab Extraordinaire
System Name Desktop | Server
Processor Intel i7 2700k @ 4.6GHZ | AMD 5350 @ 2500MHZ
Motherboard Asus P7Z77-V Pro | Asus AM1I-A
Cooling Corsair H60v2 | Stock Air
Memory Crucial Ballistix 2x8GB CL8 1600MHZ | Corsair Vengence 2x4GB CL9 1600MHZ
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 1060 6GB | PNY GTX 750Ti
Storage Samsung 840 EVO 250GB + 4TB WD Red | 2x Seagate Barracuda 2TB
Display(s) Samsung S27D390H + Asus VE276Q | Headless
Case Fractal Design R5 | CM Elite 110
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar D1 w/Otone Stilo 5.1 and Creative Fatal1ty headset
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 850 G2| Corsair CX430M
Mouse Razer Imperator 2012
Keyboard Corsair K90
Software Windows 7 SP1 X64 | Ubuntu 16.04LTS
they look so retarded, if i want to use my arms i wear a sweater or jumper.
i can understand women wanting one, but im not the lazing around type :p

how many ISPs deliver higher upload bandwidth than download bandwidth :confused:
I have no idea. I ran the test again and my upload is still higher. Can't explain that one. Maybe download speed is somehow limited when a user uses a large amount of bandwidth? (eg a user starts downloading a huge file so speeds are capped at 80% of max or something)

And :roll: at the Snuggie comments.

Easy Rhino

Linux Advocate
Staff member
System Name Desktop
Processor i5 13600KF
Motherboard AsRock B760M Steel Legend Wifi
Cooling Noctua NH-U9S
Memory 4x 16 Gb Gskill S5 DDR5 @6000
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Gaming OC 6750 XT 12GB
Storage WD_BLACK 4TB SN850x
Display(s) Gigabye M32U
Case Corsair Carbide 400C
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 650 P2
Mouse MX Master 3s
Keyboard Logitech G915 Wireless Clicky
Software The Matrix
well if everything is fixed then we can all move along...

Status
Not open for further replies.