• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

PSP2 as powerful as PS3 (claims SONY)

Easy Rhino

Linux Advocate
Staff member
System Name Desktop
Processor i5 13600KF
Motherboard AsRock B760M Steel Legend Wifi
Cooling Noctua NH-U9S
Memory 4x 16 Gb Gskill S5 DDR5 @6000
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Gaming OC 6750 XT 12GB
Storage WD_BLACK 4TB SN850x
Display(s) Gigabye M32U
Case Corsair Carbide 400C
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 650 P2
Mouse MX Master 3s
Keyboard Logitech G915 Wireless Clicky
Software The Matrix
i'm not saying it is not possible, i am saying that this quote is most likely taken out of context.

crazyeyesreaper

Not a Moderator
Staff member
System Name Old reliable
Processor Intel 8700K @ 4.8 GHz
Motherboard MSI Z370 Gaming Pro Carbon AC
Cooling Custom Water
Memory 32 GB Crucial Ballistix 3666 MHz
Video Card(s) MSI GTX 1080 Ti Gaming X
Storage 3x SSDs 2x HDDs
Display(s) Dell U2412M + Samsung TA350
Case Thermaltake Core P3 TG
Audio Device(s) Samson Meteor Mic / Generic 2.1 / KRK KNS 6400 headset
Power Supply Zalman EBT-1000
Mouse Mionix NAOS 7000
Keyboard Mionix
probably it was rhino im just stating that if its as powerfull as a PS3 dosent mean its gonna use PS3 hardware to do it :toast: thats the key here theres lots of hardware to pick from Sony dosent have to magically use the same stuff for a handheld

cdawall

where the hell are my stars
System Name All the cores
Processor 2990WX
Motherboard Asrock X399M
Cooling CPU-XSPC RayStorm Neo, 2x240mm+360mm, D5PWM+140mL, GPU-2x360mm, 2xbyski, D4+D5+100mL
Memory 4x16GB G.Skill 3600
Video Card(s) (2) EVGA SC BLACK 1080Ti's
Storage 2x Samsung SM951 512GB, Samsung PM961 512GB
Display(s) Dell UP2414Q 3840X2160@60hz
Case Caselabs Mercury S5+pedestal
Audio Device(s) Fischer HA-02->Fischer FA-002W High edition/FA-003/Jubilate/FA-011 depending on my mood
Power Supply Seasonic Prime 1200w
Mouse Thermaltake Theron, Steam controller
Keyboard Keychron K8
Software W10P
so why cant this be done

think of this AMD fusion chip used 1ghz cpu+HD6310 GPU could easily be 100% passive in a phone sized package.

Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5950x, Ryzen 9 5980HX
Motherboard MSI X570 Tomahawk
Cooling Be Quiet Dark Rock Pro 4(With Noctua Fans)
Memory 32Gb Crucial 3600 Ballistix
Video Card(s) Gigabyte RTX 3080, Asus 6800M
Storage Adata SX8200 1TB NVME/WD Black 1TB NVME
Display(s) Dell 27 Inch 165Hz
Case Phanteks P500A
Audio Device(s) IFI Zen Dac/JDS Labs Atom+/SMSL Amp+Rivers Audio
Power Supply Corsair RM850x
Mouse Logitech G502 SE Hero
Keyboard Corsair K70 RGB Mk.2
VR HMD Samsung Odyssey Plus
Software Windows 10
well then tell me what 3.2GHZ cpu is in any other handheld device? not even atom can hit that speed. Even if it could the cooling would be outragous. The you have to factor in the gpu as other have said ~7800gtx levels what handheld can achieve that?

ram isn't an issue, nor is storage but cpu and gpu don't seem likely in a handheld. again 2013 maybe, 2011 no.

when your talking about cpu's with different architectures you can't even compare them in terms of Ghz, can you compare a pentium 4 to a core i5 with one core in terms of Ghz, course not, and its the ease of using the cpu and for the PS3 its not easy to develop for, we more than likely never see its CPU used 100% in most titles.

not even getting started on the gpu

Our CPUs we use in our systems are for general purpose. Specialized cpu for a very specific purpose is vastly different from all purpose CPU. And Ghz for specialized cpu is completely different in scale.

A good example is emulators for PS2 games on PC. You need at least dual-core 3.0 Ghz to be able to emulate PS2 games on PC with acceptable framerate, but the cpu spec for PS2 is really low compared to our general purpose cpu. That's the difference between a general purpose and a specialized cpu.

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Processor Intel Core i7 10850K@5.2GHz
Motherboard AsRock Z470 Taichi
Cooling Corsair H115i Pro w/ Noctua NF-A14 Fans
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Video Card(s) RTX 2070 Super
Storage 500GB SX8200 Pro + 8TB with 1TB SSD Cache
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG280K 4K 28"
Case Fractal Design Define S
Audio Device(s) Onboard is good enough for me
Power Supply eVGA SuperNOVA 1000w G3
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
Some netbooks don't even run 720p, I mean I can see them running 720p on the phones, but I could also see it not happening, that small of a monitor doesn't really need that fine of detail.

I never said anything about the screen on the PSP2 being 720p. I said 1080p output
is important, not 1080p rendering or a 1080p screen on the actual device. The actual games can be rendered at 854x480 and upscaled and no one would really notice or care. The screen can be the same 854x480.

Yeah, CPU's have come a long ways, but air cooling is air cooling, and thats not the easiest to jam into a phone form factor. CPU's in PC have come a long ways as they are in towers and not crushed for room, they can get the cooling they need.

Oh I agree, but I don't think it would be all that impossible to get close to the original Cell performance in a handheld form factor.

wolf

Performance Enthusiast
System Name MightyX
Processor Ryzen 5800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X570 I Aorus Pro WiFi
Cooling Scythe Fuma 2
Memory 32GB DDR4 3600 CL16
Video Card(s) Asus TUF RTX3080 Deshrouded
Storage WD Black SN850X 2TB
Display(s) LG 42C2 4K OLED
Case Coolermaster NR200P
Audio Device(s) LG SN5Y / Focal Clear
Power Supply Corsair SF750 Platinum
Mouse Corsair Dark Core RBG Pro SE
Keyboard Glorious GMMK Compact w/pudding
VR HMD Meta Quest 3
Software case populated with Artic P12's
Benchmark Scores 4k120 OLED Gsync bliss
I think if they used even low end desktop technology of today in the PSP2, and games are coded specifically to run on that, they could quite easily equal the PS3's visual prowess, something like a GT430/GT240 or HD5570 rough amount of power, perhaps even less could suffice well if the coding does it any kindness.

lets hope the screen is native 720p and games actually run at that :)

Processor AMD Phenom II X4 945
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-880GM-UD2H
Memory 6gb DDR3-1333
Video Card(s) Sapphire Radeon HD6870
Storage Seagate 1tb
Display(s) Acer AL2216W
Case Generic
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply Ultra LS-550
As far as the resolution goes, with such a small screen you don't need as much resolution to look good. The reviews that I read before I bought mine said that the PSP had about the same resolution as a VHS tape (about 333x480 equivalent) but on that small screen it looks a lot better because your eye can't easily distinguish the pixels on a screen that small. I still remember when I first got Ridge Racer and thinking it looked like a PS2 game even though I'm sure the CPU and graphics power are less than a PS2. It looked a helluva lot better than GT Advance on my GBA where you could see the pixels and there was no AA used. It looked horrible. It also looked a helluva lot better than GT and GT2 on the original Playstation. So now it's just over 6 years since the original PSP release so why can't they make a new one that feels like a handheld PS3? They don't necessarily have to downsize the actual PS3 hardware to get results with a similar feel, just like the original PSP feels like a portable PS2 without using the actual PS2 hardware. Nobody is going to be making a handheld 1080p screen that's affordable any time soon, but they don't have to at that size and the CPU and video chip don't have to be as powerful as a console or PC that would drive such a screen. The Sony Ericsson Xperia X10 could be a possible screen donor. It has a resolution of 854 x 480. They'd only have to put the LCD into landscape mode instead of portrait for a handheld with an acceptably high resolution. Some ultra mobile PC's use a 1024 x 576 screen, like the Wibrain B1.

Put that screen in a handheld, and you'd swear it was 1080p.

Last edited:
System Name Thought I'd be done with this by now
Processor i7 11700k 8/16
Motherboard MSI Z590 Pro Wifi
Cooling Be Quiet Dark Rock Pro 4, 9x aigo AR12
Memory 32GB GSkill TridentZ Neo DDR4-4000 CL18-22-22-42
Video Card(s) MSI Ventus 2x Geforce RTX 3070
Storage 1TB MX300 M.2 OS + Games, + cloud mostly
Display(s) Samsung 40" 4k (TV)
Case Lian Li PC-011 Dynamic EVO Black
Audio Device(s) onboard HD -> Yamaha 5.1
Power Supply EVGA 850 GQ
Mouse Logitech wireless
Keyboard same
VR HMD nah
Software Windows 10
Benchmark Scores no one cares anymore lols
when your talking about cpu's with different architectures you can't even compare them in terms of Ghz, can you compare a pentium 4 to a core i5 with one core in terms of Ghz, course not, and its the ease of using the cpu and for the PS3 its not easy to develop for, we more than likely never see its CPU used 100% in most titles.

not even getting started on the gpu

well hello admiral obvious

but then tell me what cpu would they put on it that would match that on the ps3? the atom doesn't, qualcom doesn't, the only ones that can are on laptops (albeit lowend ones as highend ones stomp all over it)

perhaps if they used a cpu/gpu all in one chip then they may be able to fit it on there, but even that would be much too hot and require too much power for a hand held.

I'm not saying you can't make a solution that would provide that power, I'm saying not in 2011. Sony isn't all powerful and other devices simply cannot be that far behind sony.

cdawall

Processor 2990WX
Motherboard Asrock X399M
Cooling CPU-XSPC RayStorm Neo, 2x240mm+360mm, D5PWM+140mL, GPU-2x360mm, 2xbyski, D4+D5+100mL
Audio Device(s) Fischer HA-02->Fischer FA-002W High edition/FA-003/Jubilate/FA-011 depending on my mood
Keyboard Keychron K8
Software W10P

but then tell me what cpu would they put on it that would match that on the ps3? the atom doesn't, qualcom doesn't, the only ones that can are on laptops (albeit lowend ones as highend ones stomp all over it)

perhaps if they used a cpu/gpu all in one chip then they may be able to fit it on there, but even that would be much too hot and require too much power for a hand held.

I'm not saying you can't make a solution that would provide that power, I'm saying not in 2011. Sony isn't all powerful and other devices simply cannot be that far behind sony.

*cough* already brought up a fusion chip

System Name Felix777
Processor Core i5-3570k@stock
Motherboard Biostar H61
Memory 8gb
Video Card(s) XFX RX 470
Storage WD 500GB BLK
Display(s) Acer p236h bd
Case Haf 912
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply Rosewill CAPSTONE 450watt
Software Win 10 x64

i hear what your saying, but the problem with that logic is that your using what we currently know about tech that is released and known to the public to make a decision. Did we know a year before the PS3 was released what the capabilities of the cell processor were? no. Take any console for that matter, a year before release, we've never known what it could do or the hardware that would be used.

I agree with crazyeyes as well as a couple others on the possbility of the PSP2 having PS3 like power. Just bc they state PS3 power, doesn't mean PS3 hardware. There's been plenty of time since the PS3 was released(5yrs) to work on architectural changes+node shrinks to lower the voltage requirements and thermal output, or what i personally believe, that there's been enough time to research into developing a newer more advanced+smaller processor that at lower resolutions could have the horsepower to drive graphics as appealing as a PS3.

When it comes to new technology we need to be more open minded, you can't base future tech releases on tech that's already released, if we did then we'd never move forward. Its called innovation and creativity, something that big companies like sony, nintendo, intel, AMD, Nvidia etc excel at.

EDIT:Not to mention there are many programming tricks/techniques that can make renders seem better than they really are because our eye's aren't good enough to register the differences. There were even articles released on AMD/Nvidia writing drivers to render games slightly differently in attempt to raise performance yet the visual difference was negligible

Last edited:

cdawall

Processor 2990WX
Motherboard Asrock X399M
Keyboard Keychron K8
Software W10P
i hear what your saying, but the problem with that logic is that your using what we currently know about tech that is released and known to the public to make a decision. Did we know a year before the PS3 was released what the capabilities of the cell processor were? no. Take any console for that matter, a year before release, we've never known what it could do or the hardware that would be used.

I agree with crazyeyes as well as a couple others on the possbility of the PSP2 having PS3 like power. Just bc they state PS3 power, doesn't mean PS3 hardware. There's been plenty of time since the PS3 was released(5yrs) to work on architectural changes+node shrinks to lower the voltage requirements and thermal output, or what i personally believe, that there's been enough time to research into developing a newer more advanced+smaller processor that at lower resolutions could have the horsepower to drive graphics as appealing as a PS3.

When it comes to new technology we need to be more open minded, you can base future tech releases on tech that's already released, if we did then we'd never move forward. Its called innovation and creativity, something that big companies like microsoft, sony, nintendo, intel, etc excel at.

i dont think you can say innovation and creativity in same sentence as microsoft something about 10 yrs of bad luck and the end of the world in 2012

System Name Thought I'd be done with this by now
Processor i7 11700k 8/16
Motherboard MSI Z590 Pro Wifi
Cooling Be Quiet Dark Rock Pro 4, 9x aigo AR12
Memory 32GB GSkill TridentZ Neo DDR4-4000 CL18-22-22-42
Video Card(s) MSI Ventus 2x Geforce RTX 3070
Storage 1TB MX300 M.2 OS + Games, + cloud mostly
Display(s) Samsung 40" 4k (TV)
Case Lian Li PC-011 Dynamic EVO Black
Audio Device(s) onboard HD -> Yamaha 5.1
Power Supply EVGA 850 GQ
Mouse Logitech wireless
Keyboard same
VR HMD nah
Software Windows 10
Benchmark Scores no one cares anymore lols

When it comes to new technology we need to be more open minded, you can't base future tech releases on tech that's already released, if we did then we'd never move forward. Its called innovation and creativity, something that big companies like sony, nintendo, intel, AMD, Nvidia etc excel at.

EDIT:Not to mention there are many programming tricks/techniques that can make renders seem better than they really are because our eye's aren't good enough to register the differences. There were even articles released on AMD/Nvidia writing drivers to render games slightly differently in attempt to raise performance yet the visual difference was negligible

I can say for sure within 6 months of launch we hand an idea what the ps3 would bring. While sure currently released producs had been in development for a long while before their launch there isn't anythign remotely close to that kind of power in a handheld. Also we have roadmaps for all major mobile component manufacturers and nothing in a handheld range is close to that level of performance even on a roadmap.

you can believ what you want but this is definetly taken out of context imo. If it sounds too good to be true, it is.

more likely this will *feel* like it has the power of a ps3.

System Name Eldritch
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 5800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF X570 Pro Wifi
Cooling Satan's butthole after going to Taco Bell
Memory 64 GB G.Skill TridentZ
Video Card(s) Vega 56
Storage 6*8TB Western Digital Blues in RAID 6, 2*512 GB Samsung 960 Pros
Display(s) Acer CB281HK
Case Phanteks Enthoo Pro PH-ES614P_BK
Audio Device(s) ASUS Xonar DX
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 750 G2
Mouse Razer Viper 8K
Software Debian Bullseye
If they can make a Cell equivalent smaller, cooler, more energy efficient, and do graphics, then I WANT MY MOFOING PS4.

Case Phanteks P500A
Software Windows 10
PS4 . . . . . . I remember back in 2006 many thought 2012, boy were we wrong:shadedshu 2015 at the least:banghead:

dragging it out but didn't one of them say they were developing a new console right now.

I can't even think of the video cards and CPU's we will have by then.

Processor AMD Phenom II X4 945
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-880GM-UD2H
Memory 6gb DDR3-1333
Video Card(s) Sapphire Radeon HD6870
Storage Seagate 1tb
Display(s) Acer AL2216W
Case Generic
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply Ultra LS-550
PS4 . . . . . . I remember back in 2006 many thought 2012, boy were we wrong:shadedshu 2015 at the least:banghead:

dragging it out but didn't one of them say they were developing a new console right now.

I can't even think of the video cards and CPU's we will have by then.

Screw this full body control crap. That money should have gone into new console development. The Kinect and Move will never find their way into my house, ever. I already have a Wii for casual games.

And the next gen consoles had better include a normal controller or else I won't be buying them either.

System Name Felix777
Motherboard Biostar H61
Memory 8gb
Video Card(s) XFX RX 470
Storage WD 500GB BLK
Display(s) Acer p236h bd
Case Haf 912
Audio Device(s) onboard
Software Win 10 x64
Screw this full body control crap. That money should have gone into new console development. The Kinect and Move will never find their way into my house, ever. I already have a Wii for casual games.

And the next gen consoles had better include a normal controller or else I won't be buying them either.

What's wrong with Kinect and Move? they're a newer, better, and unique technology compared to the Wii's current motiontracting with a remote.

I'm sure Microsoft and Sony have already put some work into the next consoles they plan to release. Though i do feel its ridiculous for this current console gen to have lasted this long, 5-7yrs for this gen? I suppose if kinect and move are used in every game that's released with good detection and precision to the players moves that alone will bring a huge change to how games are played.

System Name Turbo_Fighter/Pitbull
Processor AMD FX-9590/Intel i7 6700K 4.7GHZ @ 1.41 volts
Motherboard Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3 Rev 4.0/Gigabyte GA-Z170N-Gaming 5
Cooling Corsair H105/Corsair H100iv2
Memory 32 GB G.Skill Ares/32 GB G.Skill Trident-Z
Video Card(s) XFX Radeon R9 Fury X/Sapphire R9 Nano
Storage Mix of HDDs SSDs Externals and a 256GB Samsung M.2 in the pitbull
Display(s) 24" Nixeus 144hz freesync/24'' Benq XL2420TE/21.5'' Asus VH226/Panasonic 42" Plasma
Case White Phantom NZXT/Fractal Define Nano S
Audio Device(s) MayFlower O2 ODAC/HT Omega Claro+/Turtlebeach Earforce DSS
Power Supply Corsair AX1200i/Thermaltake Smart 650Watt(EVGA GS 650 Watt took a shit on me)
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Corsair K70
Software Windows 10
Benchmark Scores They can run Crysis.
Keep in mind that the cell processor can be used for rendering as seen in Uncharted 2. If they can squeeze the cell(which im assuming is small judging by its name) into the psp2 then a gpu is not needed, atleast not a beefy one.

System Name Homelabs
Processor Ryzen 5900x | Ryzen 1920X
Motherboard Asus ProArt x570 Creator | AsRock X399 fatal1ty gaming
Cooling Silent Loop 2 280mm | Dark Rock Pro TR4
Memory 128GB (4x32gb) DDR4 3600Mhz | 128GB (8x16GB) DDR4 2933Mhz
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 3080 | ASUS Strix GTX 970
Storage Optane 900p + NVMe | Optane 900p + 8TB SATA SSDs + 48TB HDDs
Display(s) Alienware AW3423dw QD-OLED | HP Omen 32 1440p
Case be quiet! Dark Base Pro 900 rev 2 | be quiet! Silent Base 800
Power Supply Corsair RM750x + sleeved cables| EVGA P2 750W
Mouse Razer Viper Ultimate (still has buttons on the right side, crucial as I'm a southpaw)
Keyboard Razer Huntsman Elite, Pro Type | Logitech G915 TKL
Keep in mind that the cell processor can be used for rendering as seen in Uncharted 2. If they can squeeze the cell(which im assuming is small judging by its name) into the psp2 then a gpu is not needed, atleast not a beefy one.

gpu is made to code games easier... I doubt a cell equivalent will be in a PSP2... As many have said THE PSP2 DOESN'T HAVE TO USE THE SAME FREAKING HARDWARE AS THE PS3!!!!

at 854x480 or wtv, the games would look awesome, and ps3 quality is definitively possible. If they can fit 540p (16:9 so 960x540) and work with 28nm, then there IS a possibility to play PS3 games, as most games are 540p upscaled to 720p/1080i/1080p. 540p would be un incredible push and being able to play ps3 games, or at least very easily converted ps3 games would be beyond AWESOME

Phxprovost

Xtreme Refugee
System Name Result of Boredom
Processor AMD FX-6350
Motherboard ASUS M5A97
Cooling Enzo Tech Extreme-X
Memory 16gb ddr3
Video Card(s) XFX R9 290
Display(s) Asus 24in (1920X1080) X 2 @144hz
Case NZXT S340
Software WIN7 64bit HP

The cell was not used for rendering in UC2, it was used for post processing so a gpu would still be needed. Also how would you expect them to put a ~45 watt Cpu in a hand held mobile device?

System Name Felix777
Motherboard Biostar H61
Memory 8gb
Video Card(s) XFX RX 470
Storage WD 500GB BLK
Display(s) Acer p236h bd
Case Haf 912
Audio Device(s) onboard
Software Win 10 x64
The cell was not used for rendering in UC2, it was used for post processing so a gpu would still be needed. Also how would you expect them to put a ~45 watt Cpu in a hand held mobile device?

Wow...people really don't read threads at all today do they. Just bc in the current gen of PS3's the cell CPU is 45watts, doesn't mean they haven't innovated a much smaller similar processor over the past 3yrs or so that can handle the quality of games that'll played on a tiny screen. Were we not surprised or blown away by PSP's graphical capabilities? It definitely blew away all competition at the time. And with 3DS coming out with as good if not better graphics than the PSP's, Sony is of course going to counter them.

That's another point one could make, according to this, the 3ds is going to be using a somewhat old chip to do visuals that compete with the PSP's. So why couldn't Sony have developed a much more advanced system since psp's release, just as Nintendo has with the DS>3DS.

Phxprovost

Xtreme Refugee
System Name Result of Boredom
Processor AMD FX-6350
Motherboard ASUS M5A97
Cooling Enzo Tech Extreme-X
Memory 16gb ddr3
Video Card(s) XFX R9 290
Display(s) Asus 24in (1920X1080) X 2 @144hz
Case NZXT S340
Software WIN7 64bit HP
Wow...people really don't read threads at all today do they. Just bc in the current gen of PS3's the cell CPU is 45watts, doesn't mean they haven't innovated a much smaller similar processor over the past 3yrs

Thats amusing considering both IBM and Toshiba gave up on the cell architecture, so if Sony has somehow singled handedly refined the processors down to battery level power draw they have one hell of a lock on that information and is going to completely blind side the industry, ARM might as well just pack up and go home.

or so that can handle the quality of games that'll played on a tiny screen.

I don't know if im the only one thats noticed, but these "tiny" screens currently used in mobile devices are packing some serious quality and pixel density, by the time this psp2 comes out im sure we will already have 720p+ handsets thanks to the spec war that seems to be going on between companies like HTC, SAMSUNG and APPLE

Last edited:
System Name Felix777
Motherboard Biostar H61
Memory 8gb
Video Card(s) XFX RX 470
Storage WD 500GB BLK
Display(s) Acer p236h bd
Case Haf 912
Audio Device(s) onboard
Software Win 10 x64
true, but that resolution on a 3-4" screen compared to a computer monitor at those resolutions is going to look a hell of a lot better, so the quality of 480p on a 3.5" screen is going to look as good as 1080p on a 24" monitor. 1920x1080/24"=86400/in, 800*480/3.5=~109714/in. This would lessen the requirement of high res textures that consoles render in contrast to a handheld, which then makes it possible for PS3 visuals on a smaller scale if that makes sense.

T

TAViX

It seems that the display will be similar to the iPhone 4 one, only is HD, 1280x7##. It's great to see polymeric displays finally taking off. Also touchscreen goodness! ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Case Phanteks P500A
Software Windows 10
well if anything good happens with this hopefully it will benefit us in the end like how the 360's gpu did give ATI the testbed they needed for the Radeon HD series. hopefully something similar will happen in the mobile market, . . . . . even though its sony.

hopefully whoever they have contracted with brings out the tech unlike what happened with the cell so we can get better smartphones(If its based on a smartphone platform)