• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

New Build start up issue

Q

quasar923

So i just ordered new parts from newegg for my brothers new Desktop. this is what i ordered:

Intel I5 760
Asus Maximus III
Saphire 6850
2x2GB G.Skill Ripjaws Model F3-12800CL7D-4GBRM
750GB
XIGMATEK NRP-PC702 700W

What first happened is I didnt fully push down one of the ram sticks into the memory slots on the mobo. When i first powered it up the other week i smelt smoke and it smelt like it came from the ram. So i sent the ram back and got a new kit of the same ram. However without the ram in the mobo when i turn on the computer it turns on for a second then turns of and restarts and repeats. The fans spin as well for a second. Is this still a memory problem or is it possibly the mobo? The mobo doesnt make any weird beeps or anything. But before it would beep twice with the ram i thought i had fried, but the manual didnt say anything for two beeps. Any ideas? Thanks!

trickson

OH, I have such a headache
System Name Ryzen TUF.
Processor AMD Ryzen7 3700X
Motherboard Asus TUF X570 Gaming Plus
Cooling Noctua
Memory Gskill RipJaws 3466MHz
Video Card(s) Asus TUF 1650 Super Clocked.
Storage CB 1T M.2 Drive.
Display(s) 73" Soney 4K.
Case Antech LanAir Pro.
Audio Device(s) Denon AVR-S750H
Power Supply Corsair TX750
Mouse Optical
Keyboard K120 Logitech
Software Windows 10 64 bit Home OEM
Have you tried it with the RAM in the MB . This time make sure it is seated in all the way !

Q

quasar923

Have you tried it with the RAM in the MB . This time make sure it is seated in all the way !

Yes i have tried it with the ram all the way in. tried with just one stick and both sticks in different slots as well. The computer would stay on before i got that slight smoke smell, but it wouldnt show anything on my monitor, it would just stay on and idle pretty much.

trickson

System Name Ryzen TUF.
Cooling Noctua
Storage CB 1T M.2 Drive.
Display(s) 73" Soney 4K.
Case Antech LanAir Pro.
Mouse Optical
Keyboard K120 Logitech
Yes i have tried it with the ram all the way in. tried with just one stick and both sticks in different slots as well. The computer would stay on before i got that slight smoke smell, but it wouldnt show anything on my monitor, it would just stay on and idle pretty much.

The MB is toasted bro . RMA it and get a new one . Next time be more careful .

Q

quasar923

The MB manual does not list support for the ram i have. it shows support for the G.Skill F3-12800CL8D-4GBRM and a few other G.Skill, but not the F3-12800CL7D-4GBRM that I have. Will this be a problem?

trickson

System Name Ryzen TUF.
Cooling Noctua
Storage CB 1T M.2 Drive.
Display(s) 73" Soney 4K.
Case Antech LanAir Pro.
Mouse Optical
Keyboard K120 Logitech
The MB manual does not list support for the ram i have. it shows support for the G.Skill F3-12800CL8D-4GBRM and a few other G.Skill, but not the F3-12800CL7D-4GBRM that I have. Will this be a problem?

Doubtful . sounds like your MB is fried !