• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Laptop artifacting in Atitool - is it dying?

cdawall

where the hell are my stars
System Name All the cores
Processor 2990WX
Motherboard Asrock X399M
Cooling CPU-XSPC RayStorm Neo, 2x240mm+360mm, D5PWM+140mL, GPU-2x360mm, 2xbyski, D4+D5+100mL
Memory 4x16GB G.Skill 3600
Video Card(s) (2) EVGA SC BLACK 1080Ti's
Storage 2x Samsung SM951 512GB, Samsung PM961 512GB
Display(s) Dell UP2414Q 3840X2160@60hz
Case Caselabs Mercury S5+pedestal
Audio Device(s) Fischer HA-02->Fischer FA-002W High edition/FA-003/Jubilate/FA-011 depending on my mood
Power Supply Seasonic Prime 1200w
Mouse Thermaltake Theron, Steam controller
Keyboard Keychron K8
Software W10P
I think you answered your own question; it was not dead at all just need a CMOS clear. However, keep running ATI Tool etc on it and that may no longer be the case.
well at least someone caught on too what i was saying

System Name Custom Built
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 3600
Motherboard Asus PRIME A520M-A
Cooling Stock heatsink/fan
Memory 16GB 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 2400MHz
Video Card(s) MSI 1050Ti 4GB
Storage KINGSTON SNVS250G 256GB M.2 + 2 data disks
Display(s) Dell S2421NX
Case Aerocool CS103
Audio Device(s) Realtek
Power Supply Seasonic M12II-520 EVO
Mouse Logitech MX Master 2S
Keyboard Logitech
Software Windows 11 Pro 64-bit
I think you answered your own question; it was not dead at all just need a CMOS clear. However, keep running ATI Tool etc on it and that may no longer be the case.

I am seeing people that let overnight their computers and LAPTOPS streesing them and that's fine?
And I am only testing taking care to avoid overheat (temps don't reach 60º) with a fan for minutes with the exception of atitool (1 hour, 3 days) and that's bad?

well at least someone caught on too what i was saying

You didn't said that you simply swore and saying that I am trying to kill it intentionally. Very different

Wrigleyvillain

PTFO or GTFO
System Name DarkStar
Processor i5 3570K 4.4Ghz
Motherboard Asrock Z77 Extreme 3
Cooling Apogee HD White/XSPC Razer blocks
Memory 8GB Samsung Green 1600
Video Card(s) 2 x GTX 670 4GB
Storage 2 x 120GB Samsung 830
Display(s) 27" QNIX
Case Enthoo Pro
Power Supply Seasonic Platinum 760
Mouse Steelseries Sensei
Keyboard Ducky Pro MX Black
Software Windows 8.1 x64
Well sure some people do that but, first of all, rarely on a laptop and even so they are testing the stability of an overclock in most cases. And overnight is overkill IMO anyway; I sure don't like to put my expensive components through that much stress.

I think you have determined already that this laptop has no real hardware malfunction but if you keep messing with it like this instead of simply using it that could easily change.

cdawall

where the hell are my stars
System Name All the cores
Processor 2990WX
Motherboard Asrock X399M
Cooling CPU-XSPC RayStorm Neo, 2x240mm+360mm, D5PWM+140mL, GPU-2x360mm, 2xbyski, D4+D5+100mL
Memory 4x16GB G.Skill 3600
Video Card(s) (2) EVGA SC BLACK 1080Ti's
Storage 2x Samsung SM951 512GB, Samsung PM961 512GB
Display(s) Dell UP2414Q 3840X2160@60hz
Case Caselabs Mercury S5+pedestal
Audio Device(s) Fischer HA-02->Fischer FA-002W High edition/FA-003/Jubilate/FA-011 depending on my mood
Power Supply Seasonic Prime 1200w
Mouse Thermaltake Theron, Steam controller
Keyboard Keychron K8
Software W10P
Well sure some people do that but, first of all, rarely on a laptop and even so they are testing the stability of an overclock in most cases. And overnight is overkill IMO anyway; I sure don't like to put my expensive components through that much stress.

I think you have determined already that this laptop has no real hardware malfunction but if you keep messing with it like this instead of simply using it that could easily change.

agreed keep playing with furmark and OCCT and i would bet that you end up delaminating the GPU from the PCB

FreedomEclipse

~Technological Technocrat~
System Name Codename: Icarus Mk.VI
Processor Intel 8600k@Stock -- pending tuning
Motherboard Asus ROG Strixx Z370-F
Cooling CPU: BeQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 {1xCorsair ML120 Pro|5xML140 Pro}
Memory 32GB XPG Gammix D10 {2x16GB}
Video Card(s) ASUS Dual Radeon™ RX 6700 XT OC Edition
Storage Samsung 970 Evo 512GB SSD (Boot)|WD SN770 (Gaming)|2x 3TB Toshiba DT01ACA300|2x 2TB Crucial BX500
Display(s) LG GP850-B
Case Corsair 760T (White)
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V573|Speakers: JBL Control One|Auna 300-CN|Wharfedale Diamond SW150
Power Supply Corsair AX760
Mouse Logitech G900
Keyboard Duckyshine Dead LED(s) III
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores (ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

^ What he said - f*****g with a laptops r srs businessez and best left alone unless you really dont want the laptop and just want to destroy it for the hell of it. otherwise it could be a lengthly RMA process if they need to swap the board out.

best not touch anything. if you want something more powerful for games - get a more powerful laptop.

System Name Custom Built
Display(s) Dell S2421NX
Case Aerocool CS103
Audio Device(s) Realtek
Keyboard Logitech

Nope I never stressed anything for more than 1 hour, in the desktop or laptop. I don't overclock anything. I only run at maximum of 10 mins because I'm afraid that some component could fry or something. The damm memtest was the exception because when I ran it first time in the laptop it artifacted like crazy but only sometimes...
Anyway I finished testing and use it until breaks..
agreed keep playing with furmark and OCCT and i would bet that you end up delaminating the GPU from the PCB
GPU temp = 55º, CPU temp = 50º.

^ What he said - f*****g with a laptops r srs businessez and best left alone unless you really dont want the laptop and just want to destroy it for the hell of it. otherwise it could be a lengthly RMA process if they need to swap the board out.

best not touch anything. if you want something more powerful for games - get a more powerful laptop.

LOL if I would overclocked it and play some HD video or game for 2 hours on it, some people in this forum would come home, kill me, and "save" the poor mistreated laptop :mad:
For games I have my desktop comp.

Wrigleyvillain

PTFO or GTFO
System Name DarkStar
Processor i5 3570K 4.4Ghz
Motherboard Asrock Z77 Extreme 3
Cooling Apogee HD White/XSPC Razer blocks
Memory 8GB Samsung Green 1600
Video Card(s) 2 x GTX 670 4GB
Storage 2 x 120GB Samsung 830
Display(s) 27" QNIX
Case Enthoo Pro
Power Supply Seasonic Platinum 760
Mouse Steelseries Sensei
Keyboard Ducky Pro MX Black
Software Windows 8.1 x64
I think you should just be happy it seems to be working at this point. If you want to mess with it further as a means of testing install Ubuntu on it or some shit. That scans and puts load on most/all of the components but doesn't greatly stress it.

System Name Custom Built
Display(s) Dell S2421NX
Case Aerocool CS103
Audio Device(s) Realtek
Keyboard Logitech
I think you should just be happy it seems to be working at this point. If you want to mess with it further as a means of testing install Ubuntu on it or some shit. That scans and puts load on most/all of the components but doesn't greatly stress it.

Nah I just finished with it and I will enjoy it ;). I formatted it to clean the mess and reinstalled Windows 7 though I have driver problems

FreedomEclipse

Storage Samsung 970 Evo 512GB SSD (Boot)|WD SN770 (Gaming)|2x 3TB Toshiba DT01ACA300|2x 2TB Crucial BX500
Display(s) LG GP850-B
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V573|Speakers: JBL Control One|Auna 300-CN|Wharfedale Diamond SW150
Mouse Logitech G900
Software Windows 10 Pro
If you dont need it - send it to me, I could scrap it for spare parts for my laptop

Great Yarmouth, United Kingdom.{East Anglian Coast
System Name Hells Core.
Processor Ryzen 9 5950x
Motherboard Asus Crosshair hero viii (wifi) x570
Cooling AlphaCool Aurora 420mm
Memory Patriot Viper Gaming RGB Series DDR4 DRAM 4133MHz 32GB Kit
Video Card(s) MSI Gaming X Trio 3070
Storage Sabrent 1TB Rocket Nvme PCIe 4.0 M.2
Display(s) Acer Predator XB271HU
Case Thermaltake Core X71
Power Supply Corsair RM850 80 plus gold
Software Windows 10
Who the hell buys a laptop for gaming anyway? i mean come on.

FreedomEclipse

Display(s) LG GP850-B
Mouse Logitech G900
Software Windows 10 Pro

Me - my laptop was able to run a lot of games before the screen went south (pending repairs) Was running Oblivion and CoD2 on it but I mainly just use it to play guildwars. I cant remember if i tried to run CoD4 on it

System Name Custom Built
Display(s) Dell S2421NX
Case Aerocool CS103
Audio Device(s) Realtek
Keyboard Logitech
If you dont need it - send it to me, I could scrap it for spare parts for my laptop

LOL I want it, though the battery is dead and the case is a bit deteriorated, and isn't very powerful but I love it, it cost me none so I should be happy anyway...

Anyway I doubt you can get much stuff on it: 2 GB RAM, DVD Multi Drive, screen, a keyboard with the ESC key missing, a worn touchpad, dead battery, the Hard disk was missing... and considering if they will be compatible with your laptop...
It's not my case, nor either I bought it nor I will use it for gaming. For gaming I have my desktop PC. I was only testing its GPU to make sure it's fine...

Me - my laptop was able to run a lot of games before the screen went south (pending repairs) Was running Oblivion and CoD2 on it but I mainly just use it to play guildwars. I cant remember if i tried to run CoD4 on it

Mine ran even Crysis demo, though a crappy frame rate and some rendering glitches on it, but AOE3 FC2 Battlefield 2, Cod4 MW, NFS MW, ran fine on low-medium settings. And never overheated.

Last edited:
System Name Hells Core.
Processor Ryzen 9 5950x
Software Windows 10
It should be fine derek12 ati tool is very very demanding it will heat up even cards with much better cooling tbh, and is often buggy too with some it was with my x1900xt used to crash instantly. I think its just a case of low end graphics struggling with very demanding software,And laptop cooling is never going to do it justice just hasnt got the space or airflow. Just run some normal games with low to medium settings and see how it preforms, You cant really ask for much more. I have 2 dualcore laptops both with independand graphics ati4530 and they do a decent job if i dont bump everything up stupidly, But i dont really use them for gaming, just internet and occasional movies.

Bad Drivers can somtimes cause artifacts,

System Name Hells Core.
Processor Ryzen 9 5950x
Software Windows 10
The kind of games for laptops are games like world of warcraft, sims , Rollercoaster tycoon, monopoly tycoon etc.

Games like crysis are just too FPS hungry really to have a decent game.

I managed to play tomb raider underworld ok on mine just as a test didnt really try any others i guess the technology is getting better.

I just dont belive in gaming laptops lol its just wrong, If you are a hardcore gamer you build a propper gaming rig.

Last edited:
System Name Custom Built
Display(s) Dell S2421NX
Case Aerocool CS103
Audio Device(s) Realtek
Keyboard Logitech
It should be fine derek12 ati tool is very very demanding it will heat up even cards with much better cooling tbh, and is often buggy too with some it was with my x1900xt used to crash instantly. I think its just a case of low end graphics struggling with very demanding software,And laptop cooling is never going to do it justice just hasnt got the space or airflow. Just run some normal games with low to medium settings and see how it preforms, You cant really ask for much more. I have 2 dualcore laptops both with independand graphics ati4530 and they do a decent job if i dont bump everything up stupidly, But i dont really use them for gaming, just internet and occasional movies.

Bad Drivers can somtimes cause artifacts,

Many thanks :), I now understand that properly, I stopped struggling the GPU I even disabled Aero...

The kind of games for laptops are games like world of warcraft, sims , Rollercoaster tycoon, monopoly tycoon etc.

Games like crysis are just too FPS hungry really to have a decent game.

I managed to play tomb raider underworld ok on mine just as a test didnt really try any others i guess the technology is getting better.

I just dont belive in gaming laptops lol its just wrong, If you are a hardcore gamer you build a propper gaming rig.

Yeah crysis frame rate was 0.5 - 1 FPS at low settings totally unplayable :laugh: besides some graphics glitches like the sky turning solid blue...
However AOE3, Warrock, nfs mw were playable at low quality. Just Cause works fine on laptop but artifacted on desktop (crazy shadows) :confused:
I am not a hardcore gamer... yet, even my desktop comp isn't as powerful as yours it. Until recently, I was playing with the IGP now I reusing my geforce 9500GT and currently the only game I play regularly is Warrock...