• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Acer GN245HQ Becomes First 3D Monitor to Support HDMI 3D Solution from NVIDIA

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
Acer, always at the forefront in offering technologically advanced solutions, now presents the GN245HQ, the first 3D monitor in the world to support the HDMI 3D solution from NVIDIA, enabling users to fully appreciate the array of possibilities brought by the stereoscopic technology.

Offering powerful and exciting graphics as well as top-notch technology, the GN245HQ 3D monitor is particularly well suited for gaming and enjoying movies: the perfect solution for tech-savvy users and gaming enthusiasts.

Acer's new combines Full HD 3D imagery via HDMI 3D or DVI-DL (dual link) connectivity with NVIDIA 3D vision, setting the standard for enhanced 3D multimedia, literally projecting the user into the action for a sensation of full immersion. This effective yet simple solution is ideal for enhanced home entertainment. With the included NVIDIA 3D glasses, featuring advanced active shutter 3D technology, combined with the monitor's built-in IR emitter, you can enjoy your favorite movies or games with your friends, as multiple pair of glasses can be used simultaneously.

What's more, with the integrated IR emitter and HDMI 3D connectivity, the GN245HQ display breaks free from the PC and lets you enjoy 3D TV broadcasting via a set-top box, the best in 3D movies via Blu-ray Disc player, stunning pictures from a 3D camera, and immersive 3D games using a HDMI 3D game console.

This monitor is also ready to let you experience and appreciate new ways of learning that are more compelling and fun, with applications that will literally transport you in the middle of an archaeological site, around the universe or inside the human body.

But enhanced 3D technology is not enough to sum up the GN245HQ. This monitors packs high-end features, to ensure the best viewing experience: an unmatched 100 million:1 contrast ratio for stunning picture quality; Full HD resolution (1920x1080) perfect for 1080p Full HD applications; a spacious 60cm (23.6") LED backlit panel with a 16:9 aspect ratio, ideal to watch movies with the same immersive splendour of a theatre screen; a 120Hz refresh rate, essential for creating the 3D effect and a response time of just 2ms, the utmost in reactivity for real-time gaming.

While offering impressive visuals, the GN245HQ is also a striking sight. A futuristic style with clean, severe lines and sharply angled surfaces underlined its strong character. The elaborate design of the base conveys speed and performance evoking today's fast paced videogames. The power button blends seamlessly with the eye-catching bezel, highlighting the care in designing even the tiniest detail.

The GN245HQ falls under Acer's range of EcoDisplays. Making all efforts to reduce our footprint on the environment is the responsibility of everyone today. This is why Acer is committed to developing monitors with an energy saving design, that are mercury free and made of easily recyclable materials. To ensure lower power consumption white LED backlighting technology was adopted, replacing the four lamp design with two lamps, for up to 68% power saving. In addition, LED lamps are mercury-free and safer for the environment whilst delivering better performance. Acer 3D monitors meet stringent industry standards and are compliant with RoHS (the EU directive restricting the usage of hazardous substances) and ENERGY STAR requirements. Lower energy consumption not only helps reducing costs but also preserves resources and the environment for future generations. Plus, packaging is kept to the minimum and made of recyclable materials.

The Acer GN245HQ display is supplied with a 2 year C&R warranty and will be available from mid March with a SRRP of £419.99 inc VAT.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

btarunr

Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Software Windows 11 Pro
Thanks to Bumblebee for the tip.

Processor Intel i7 4790K
Motherboard Asus Z97 Deluxe
Cooling Thermalright Ultra Extreme 120
Memory Corsair Dominator 1866Mhz 4X4GB
Video Card(s) Asus R290X
Storage Samsung 850 Pro SSD 256GB/Samsung 840 Evo SSD 1TB
Display(s) Samsung S23A950D
Case Corsair 850D
Audio Device(s) Onboard Realtek
Power Supply Corsair AX850
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Logitech G710+
Software Windows 10 x64

btarunr

Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Software Windows 11 Pro
Processor Intel i7 4790K
Video Card(s) Asus R290X
Case Corsair 850D
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Logitech G710+
Software Windows 10 x64
That's not a 120 Hz display. Enjoy your 3D flicker.

How do you know that? I am under the impression that it is.

Also its a new proprietory technology that no one has seen yet so......

btarunr

Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Software Windows 11 Pro
How do you know that? I am under the impression that it is.

Also its a new proprietory technology that no one has seen yet so......

Not every "3D monitor" is a 120 Hz monitor, if a 3D monitor supports 120 Hz refresh rate, it will be the first thing mentioned in the specifications.

No technology can technically reduce/eliminate 3D flicker on 60 Hz. Flicker is a physical phenomenon.

Processor Intel i7 4790K
Video Card(s) Asus R290X
Case Corsair 850D
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Logitech G710+
Software Windows 10 x64
Not every "3D monitor" is a 120 Hz monitor, if a 3D monitor supports 120 Hz refresh rate, it will be the first thing mentioned in the specifications.

Just because it isnt listed doesnt mean its not 120, maybe they are keeping the spec under their hat until release. I really doubt Samsung would release a mainstream highend 3D monitor that isnt 120Hz and isnt compatible with current 3D technology. It says its compatible with multiple technologies and there arent that many of them.

I doubt they would release a 3D monitor that flickers in 3D

btarunr

Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Software Windows 11 Pro
Just because it isnt listed doesnt mean its not 120, maybe they are keeping the spec under their hat until release. I really doubt Samsung would release a mainstream highend 3D monitor that isnt 120Hz and isnt compatible with current 3D technology. It says its compatible with multiple technologies and there arent that many of them.

I doubt they would release a 3D monitor that flickers in 3D

There are plenty of 60 Hz 3D monitors, each of them flickers, and that's what makes 120 Hz desirable.

Secondly, if that was a 120 Hz HDMI monitor, they would explicitly mention HDMI 1.4a or HDMI 3D in their specifications as a display input, because there's no other way you can drive a 1920 x 1080 @ 120 Hz at HDMI's normal data-rate.

Thirdly, since Samsung launched this monitor back in early January, had it been a 120 Hz monitor, Acer wouldn't claim a "world's first" over a month after that.

Processor Intel i7 4790K
Video Card(s) Asus R290X
Case Corsair 850D
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Logitech G710+
Software Windows 10 x64
There are plenty of 60 Hz 3D monitors, each of them flickers, and that's what makes 120 Hz desirable.

I'm not doubting that 60 Hz isnt as good as 120Hz.

Secondly, if that was a 120 Hz HDMI monitor, they would explicitly mention HDMI 1.4a or HDMI 3D in their specifications as a display input, because there's no other way you can drive a 1920 x 1080 @ 120 Hz at HDMI's normal data-rate.

Why would they explicitly mention that if they dont even mention the Hz of the monitor?

Thirdly, since Samsung launched this monitor back in early January, had it been a 120 Hz monitor, Acer wouldn't claim a "world's first" over a month after that.

It was shown at CES but isnt launched until March.

I dont want to argue with you about it, i'm assuming its 120Hz and you're assuming its 60Hz i guess we will find out in March.

btarunr

Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Software Windows 11 Pro

You said "I doubt they would release a 3D monitor that flickers in 3D", and so was my reply to that. Each plane is receiving visuals at 30 Hz, hence the flicker, hence certain people can't stand 3D viewing.

Why would they explicitly mention that if they dont even mention the Hz of the monitor?

Because if they don't mention either of those, it only points to the monitor being a common 60 Hz panel that takes input from standard HDMI.

I dont want to argue with you about it, i'm assuming its 120Hz and you're assuming its 60Hz i guess we will find out in March.

After listing out almost every other specification, if they didn't mention refresh rate, by default it's taken as 60 Hz, because that's the refresh rate of 99% of all flat-panel displays.

System Name Thakk
Processor i7 6700k @ 4.5Ghz
Motherboard Gigabyte G1 Z170N ITX
Cooling H55 AIO
Memory 32GB DDR4 3100 c16
Video Card(s) Zotac RTX3080 Trinity
Storage Corsair Force GT 120GB SSD / Intel 250GB SSD / Samsung Pro 512 SSD / 3TB Seagate SV32
Display(s) Acer Predator X34 100hz IPS Gsync / HTC Vive
Case QBX
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1150 > Creative Gigaworks T40 > AKG Q701
Power Supply Corsair SF600
Mouse Logitech G900
Keyboard Ducky Shine TKL MX Blue + Vortex PBT Doubleshots
Software Windows 10 64bit
Benchmark Scores http://www.3dmark.com/fs/12108888
looking good. and even if I didnt have that 3d glass, 120hz alone is frakkin sweet for gaming.

Processor intel i7 4770k @ 4.6ghz
Motherboard asus maximus vi hero
Cooling noctua nh d14
Memory 16gb gskill 2400 mhz
Video Card(s) MSI gtx 780ti
Storage 512gb samsung 840 pro + 2x 1tb WD caviar black sata 3
Display(s) 3x Benq XL2720Z 144hz surround
Case cooler master storm stryker
Audio Device(s) asus xonar dx
Power Supply corsair ax1200
Software windows 7 ultimate 64 bit
i've got the acer gt245hq and it's pretty good. it's time for 27 inch monitors though, with 120hz but 700 euro for the already announced acer hn274h is way too much

ariff_tech

What brand and model of 3d monitor that only have 60Hz.

No technology can technically reduce/eliminate 3D flicker on 60 Hz. Flicker is a physical phenomenon.

If using shutter glasses, yes there no way you can eliminate 3D flicker.

but if using polarized glasses, there no flicker. But manufacturer have to make two screen blend into single panel.

After listing out almost every other specification, if they didn't mention refresh rate, by default it's taken as 60 Hz, because that's the refresh rate of 99% of all flat-panel displays.

Yes i agree with that. But i think that most 3D Monitor is 120Hz, because that's the refresh rate of 99% of all 3D flat-panel displays.

System Name Always changing
Processor Always changing
Motherboard Always changing
Cooling Always changing
Memory Always changing
Video Card(s) Always changing
Storage Always changing
Display(s) Always changing
Case Always changing
Audio Device(s) Always changing
Power Supply Always changing
Mouse Always changing
Keyboard Always changing
Acer, always at the forefront in offering technologically advanced solutions, now presents the GN245HQ, the first 3D monitor in the world to support the HDMI 3D solution from NVIDIA, enabling users to fully appreciate the array of possibilities brought by the stereoscopic technology.

Offering powerful and exciting graphics as well as top-notch technology, the GN245HQ 3D monitor is particularly well suited for gaming and enjoying movies: the perfect solution for tech-savvy users and gaming enthusiasts.

[url]http://www.techpowerup.com/img/11-02-10/47a_thm.jpg[/URL]

Acer's new combines Full HD 3D imagery via HDMI 3D or DVI-DL (dual link) connectivity with NVIDIA 3D vision, setting the standard for enhanced 3D multimedia, literally projecting the user into the action for a sensation of full immersion. This effective yet simple solution is ideal for enhanced home entertainment. With the included NVIDIA 3D glasses, featuring advanced active shutter 3D technology, combined with the monitor's built-in IR emitter, you can enjoy your favorite movies or games with your friends, as multiple pair of glasses can be used simultaneously.

What's more, with the integrated IR emitter and HDMI 3D connectivity, the GN245HQ display breaks free from the PC and lets you enjoy 3D TV broadcasting via a set-top box, the best in 3D movies via Blu-ray Disc player, stunning pictures from a 3D camera, and immersive 3D games using a HDMI 3D game console.

This monitor is also ready to let you experience and appreciate new ways of learning that are more compelling and fun, with applications that will literally transport you in the middle of an archaeological site, around the universe or inside the human body.

But enhanced 3D technology is not enough to sum up the GN245HQ. This monitors packs high-end features, to ensure the best viewing experience: an unmatched 100 million:1 contrast ratio for stunning picture quality; Full HD resolution (1920x1080) perfect for 1080p Full HD applications; a spacious 60cm (23.6") LED backlit panel with a 16:9 aspect ratio, ideal to watch movies with the same immersive splendour of a theatre screen; a 120Hz refresh rate, essential for creating the 3D effect and a response time of just 2ms, the utmost in reactivity for real-time gaming.

While offering impressive visuals, the GN245HQ is also a striking sight. A futuristic style with clean, severe lines and sharply angled surfaces underlined its strong character. The elaborate design of the base conveys speed and performance evoking today's fast paced videogames. The power button blends seamlessly with the eye-catching bezel, highlighting the care in designing even the tiniest detail.

The GN245HQ falls under Acer's range of EcoDisplays. Making all efforts to reduce our footprint on the environment is the responsibility of everyone today. This is why Acer is committed to developing monitors with an energy saving design, that are mercury free and made of easily recyclable materials. To ensure lower power consumption white LED backlighting technology was adopted, replacing the four lamp design with two lamps, for up to 68% power saving. In addition, LED lamps are mercury-free and safer for the environment whilst delivering better performance. Acer 3D monitors meet stringent industry standards and are compliant with RoHS (the EU directive restricting the usage of hazardous substances) and ENERGY STAR requirements. Lower energy consumption not only helps reducing costs but also preserves resources and the environment for future generations. Plus, packaging is kept to the minimum and made of recyclable materials.

The Acer GN245HQ display is supplied with a 2 year C&R warranty and will be available from mid March with a SRRP of £419.99 inc VAT.
Is it still an TN panel?

System Name Grandpa
Processor i5 4690K
Motherboard Gigabyte Z97X-UD5H-BK
Cooling water
Memory 8GB Corsair Vengence 2400MHz
Video Card(s) Gigabyte 5850 x2
Storage Samsung SM951
Display(s) Catleap 27"
Case coolermaster stacker
Power Supply corsair AX860i
Mouse logitech g5 original
Keyboard Ducky
Software Windows 8.1

It was shown at CES but isnt launched until March.

Don't stress about the semantics. There are plenty of 120Hz monitors that have been sold for years. It's just that they don't use HDMI 1.4, thats all. Orwell has been at it again, it used to be called dual DVI.

I also doubt Samsung wouldrelease a flickering 3D monitor.