• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

"Right" to play and games ownership.

When we buy a game, we don't actually own it, because we don't have the right to share and copy it in anyway, so basically we buy the right to play the game.

If the above statement is true, should we be able to purchase a title and play that game on any platforms? Unless they are not multi-platform games.

Processor AMD Ryzen 5 7600
Motherboard Gigabyte B650 Aorus Elite AX
Cooling Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE
Memory Kingston Fury Beast DDR5-5600 16GBx2
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Gaming OC AMD Radeon RX 7800 XT 16GB
Storage TEAMGROUP T-Force Z440 2TB, SPower A60 2TB, SPower A55 2TB, Seagate 4TBx2, Samsung 870 2TB
Display(s) AOC 24G2 + Xitrix WFP-2415
Case Montech Air X
Audio Device(s) Realtek onboard
Power Supply Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 FM 750W 80+ Gold
Mouse Logitech G304
Keyboard Redragon K557 KAIA RGB Mechanical Keyboard
Software Windows 10
If you "buy a game", you're actually buying the right to play the game.

Thus piracy is getting the right to play the game without paying for it, and not getting the actual game...

System Name Zen2600
Processor Ryzen 2600
Motherboard MSI B450-A Pro MAX
Cooling Captain120EX
Memory 2x8 GB Patriot Viper Steel 360000 @3400MHz [18-19-19-39-80] DDR4
Video Card(s) Sapphire RX5700XT Nitro+ @stock
Storage WD Black 500GB NVME
Display(s) LG 32GK850F
Case NZXT H440 EnvyUS
Audio Device(s) Custom HP AMP + Sennheiser HD380
Power Supply Thermaltake Toughpower GF1 650w
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard ElE Game1
Software Windows 10 Home 64-bit
Thus piracy is getting the right to play the game without paying for it, and not getting the actual game...

I don't get what you said. it's only true if you upload it to torrents, right:confused:

System Name Black Panther
Processor i9 9900k
Motherboard Gigabyte Z390 AORUS PRO Wifi 1.0
Cooling NZXT Kraken X72 360mm
Memory 2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro DDR4 3600Mhz
Video Card(s) Palit RTX2080 Ti Dual 11GB DDR6
Storage Samsung EVO 970 500GB SSD M.2 & 2TB Seagate Barracuda 7200rpm
Display(s) 32'' Gigabyte G32QC 2560x1440 165Hz
Case NZXT H710i Black
Audio Device(s) Razer Electra V2 & Z5500 Speakers
Power Supply Seasonic Focus GX-850 Gold 80+
Mouse Some Corsair lost the box forgot the model
Keyboard Motospeed
Software Windows 10
When we buy a game, we don't actually own it, because we don't have the right to share and copy it in anyway, so basically we buy the right to play the game.

If the above statement is true, should we be able to purchase a title and play that game on any platforms? Unless they are not multi-platform games.

It's similar to buying a book I guess. You can read it (enjoy it & learn from it) but you can't make copies not even to give them for free. Heck you can't even quote from a book without stating it as a source for it'd be plagiarizing.

Regards games, the DRM of each game is different. Many games can be installed on any number of pc's but since they need the original disc in the drive they can be played only on one pc at a time. I had a game (I don't remember if it was Settlers,Two Worlds or Spore :confused:) which had a limit on the amount of installs. You could only install it 3 times if I remember correctly, then you have to phone-call them etc etc.... (which kinda sucks..)

System Name Fractality 1.0
Processor Intel Core i7-860 @ 3.6GHz
Motherboard EVGA P55 SLI
Cooling Prolimatech Megahalems and four Fractal Design 120mm fans, sleeved
Memory 16GB Kingston Hyper RAM
Video Card(s) PNY GeForce 580 XLR8
Storage 64GB and 180GB SSDs / 1TB and 2TB HDDs
Display(s) 24" Acer V243W
Case Fractal Design Define R2, sleeved all I/O cables
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply Corsair HX750W modular, sadly only stock sleeving
Software Win 7 64bit
(I don't remember if it was Settlers,Two Worlds or Spore :confused:) which had a limit on the amount of installs. You could only install it 3 times if I remember correctly, then you have to phone-call them etc etc.... (which kinda sucks..)

It was Spore.
Well you bought the right to play it but you do own a physical copy of the game. And what you do with that is up to you. Nobody can prohibit you (yet) from lending it to a friend or selling it.

So you buy the right to play and a piece of polycarbonate.

Kreij

Senior Monkey Moderator
Kid said:

Since the code is different for the various platforms, are you suggesting that if you buy a game that runs on a PC, XBox and PS3 they give you a disk for each platform?

System Name Unknown
Processor AMD Bulldozer FX8320 @ 4.4Ghz
Motherboard Asus Crosshair V
Cooling XSPC Raystorm 750 EX240 for CPU
Memory 8 GB CORSAIR Vengeance Red DDR3 RAM 1922mhz (10-11-9-27)
Video Card(s) XFX R9 290
Storage Samsung SSD 254GB and Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s
Display(s) AOC 23" @ 1920x1080 + Asus 27" 1440p
Case HAF X
Audio Device(s) X Fi Titanium 5.1 Surround Sound
Power Supply 750 Watt PP&C Silencer Black
Software Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit
It would be nice if we could pay a one time fee for a game and be able to play that game on any platform.

Or at least divide the price by 3... Then if its exclusive, charge it 60... At least we know we would be getting something good specific to that platform.

Since the code is different for the various platforms, are you suggesting that if you buy a game that runs on a PC, XBox and PS3 they give you a disk for each platform?

That's not exactly it.

The first option probably is downloadable games. If not, i should be able to request a game dvd/bluray for other platform for a small fee.

System Name Aluminum Mallard
Processor Ryzen 1900x
Motherboard AsRock Phantom 6
Cooling AIO
Memory 8GB
Video Card(s) ASUS Strix 1080Ti
Storage SSD
Display(s) Benq Zowie
Case Cosmos 1000
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply Corsair CX750
Software Win10 Home
Benchmark Scores 31 FPS in Dalaran.
The first sale doctrine hasn't been applied to software yet, all commercial software developers use licensing instead of "selling" to avoid the first sale doctrine. If it ever goes to court I suspect it would apply to software as well.

System Name Sovereign // HTPC
Processor i7 3770k 4.2 // i7 3770k 4.2
Motherboard Maximus V Gene // Sabertooth Z77
Cooling Noctua D14 // Intel HSF
Memory 16GB Samsung // 16GB VengeanceLP
Video Card(s) Deciding // 660 DC2
Storage OS (X25-M), Data (Seagate 1TB) // Samsung 840 120GB & bunch of drives
Display(s) Samsung T240HD // LG TV
Case TJ08e // Grandia GD08
Audio Device(s) DT880 Pro 250 ohm // TV speakers
Power Supply Seasonic Plat 1000 // Seasonic Gold 760
Software Windows 8 Pro x64 // Windows 7 Pro x64
There is a discussion about this over in kotaku, cant find link though

Kreij

Senior Monkey Moderator
The first option probably is downloadable games. If not, i should be able to request a game dvd/bluray for other platform for a small fee.

Interesting discussion ... I'll take the devs side. ;)

The developers may have a substantial investment in the production of the various platform games individually.
Why should they sell you a PS3 version cheaper just because you bought the PC version?

They were made on a same engine and usually on one main platform, then those games will be ported to other platforms.

Kreij

Senior Monkey Moderator
The games are developed on PCs (no one develops on a console).
Regardless of what they develop for, or port to, there are considerable costs involved.
Development, licensing fees (if using someone else's code), testing, marketing, distribution, rating approvals, legal fees, large/more teams for cross platforming etc.
The more platforms, the more cost.

System Name Compy 386
Processor 7800X3D
Motherboard Asus
Cooling Air for now.....
Memory 64 GB DDR5 6400Mhz
Video Card(s) 7900XTX 310 Merc
Storage Samsung 990 2TB, 2 SP 2TB SSDs and over 10TB spinning
Display(s) 56" Samsung 4K HDR
Audio Device(s) ATI HDMI
Mouse Logitech MX518
Keyboard Razer
Software A lot.
Benchmark Scores Its fast. Enough.
Porting is bad....mmmmkayyy. So don't do it. But they do, and they give away DLC for free on consoles, and then months later on the PC, and it isn't as good.

The right to play a polycarbonate disc? Well, I'm married, so I have the right to have sex with a vagina if we are generalizing............

As far a multi-platform, if they want to sell us multi-platform discs for original price, and sell us cable to watch ads to support the cable we pay for, and music that won't work with a device, and movies that won't work on many devices and instances, and other types of content that is their choice.

Vote with your wallet. I do, I rarely pay full retail for a game, movie, or anything. Software like a game has a fixed cost of development, once it is usable, it doesn't really become unusable. It's not like food that you eat, or water that you drink. They can always make another copy. However they SHOULD be paid for their efforts. The market will decide how much. And having employees that can't keep product secure is not the fault of downloaders, that is like saying hay I found this sand on the beach that came from your sandcastle so I made my own.

Kreij

Senior Monkey Moderator
Software like a game has a fixed cost of development, once it is usable, it doesn't really become unusable.

You have to factor in the life expectancy of the product. You will have to support the product long after the release (when it becomes usable) if you want to keep any kind of fan base happy and coming back for expansion and sequels.

The games are developed on PCs (no one develops on a console).
Regardless of what they develop for, or port to, there are considerable costs involved.
Development, licensing fees (if using someone else's code), testing, marketing, distribution, rating approvals, legal fees, large/more teams for cross platforming etc.
The more platforms, the more cost.

It's not our (consumers) problem really, and that's not the point i'm trying to get across.

What's difference between PS3 and Xbox360 disc?

We don't actually pay money to own the contents which were created for multi-platform. It doesn't matter if the cost of making it increase on other platforms, because WE don't buy the contents, we buy the right to play the title.

It's not because of us that porting games to other platforms costs money, because we, the consumers did not make any of those platforms.

ktr

Depends on what the EULA states. For instance, here is a EULA from R*: http://www.rockstargames.com/eula

As it clearly says...

Licensor hereby grants you the nonexclusive, non-transferable, limited right and license to use one copy of the Software for your personal non-commercial use for gameplay on a single computer or gaming unit, unless otherwise specified in the Software documentation.

Now Valve's EULA doesn't state a restriction (http://store.steampowered.com/subscriber_agreement/), hence SteamPlay (https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=9439-QHKN-1308).

Kreij

Senior Monkey Moderator
What's difference between PS3 and Xbox360 disc?

The code on the disk.

We don't actually pay money to own the contents which were created for multi-platform. It doesn't matter if the cost of making it increase on other platforms, because WE don't buy the contents, we buy the right to play the title.

Yes ... on a particular platform.

It's not because of us that porting games to other platforms costs money, because we, the consumers did not make any of those platforms.

But you own more than one, and you are demanding the games work on the multiple platforms that you own, and you want the right to use the code that cost them more money to develop for free (or really cheap) on a platform other than the one you originally purchased.

I personally don't care if they did that. I'm all for less expensive games, but as businesses they must be able to recoup their investment, and make a profit, or they will soon be out of business.
Video games are still one of the cheapest forms of entertainment around (unless the game is really short, in which case don't buy it).

Platform makers are who force or attract game devs to make games on that platform. They should be the one who pay games dev to port games, not us.

Games dev choose what platform they want their games on, they should pay for it themselves, not us.

What the code on the disk does? It gives access to the game, that's it.

1 Platform, 1 way, 1 kind of disc. We don't want multi-platform (if most of their games are the same), aren't we? They (big corps) made that choices, they should pay, not consumers. If they can't make profit that way, they should switch to something more simple.

We don't go make things more complicated; we make things more simple.

Kreij

Senior Monkey Moderator
Platform makers are who force or attract game devs to make games on that platform. They should be the one who pay games dev to port games, not us.

No, it's the consumer market that attracts devs to a platform. If a platform sucks and no one buys games for that platform, no one develops for it.

Games dev choose what platform they want their games on, they should pay for it themselves, not us.

They do. You only have to pay for a particular platform game if you own that platform and want to play the game on it.

What the code on the disk does? It gives access to the game, that's it.
The code on the disk is what makes it possible to play the game on the platform, not just give access to the game.

1 Platform, 1 way, 1 kind of disc. We don't want multi-platform (if most of their games are the same), aren't we? They (big corps) made that choices, they should pay, not consumers. If they can't make profit that way, they should switch to something more simple.

We don't go make things more complicated; we make things more simple.

I'm really confused. If you only want one platform, then just buy games for that platform.
I don't own any consoles, so I just buy PC games.

Last edited:

JrRacinFan

Served 5k and counting ...
System Name Dual Build Streamer
Processor Ryzen 7900x3d : Ryzen 4600G
Motherboard AsRock B650E Steel Legend : Giga B450i Aorus
Cooling Custom Water 1x420 : Stock
Memory 32GB T-Force Deltas : 16GB Dominator Platinums
Video Card(s) PowerColor 7900 XTX Liquid Devil: iGPU
Storage 20+ TB
Display(s) Sammy 49" 5k Ultrawide
Case Custom White Painted Phanteks Enthoo Pro 2
Audio Device(s) Onboard : Onboard
Power Supply EVGA 1200W P2
Mouse Corsair M65 RGB Elite White
Keyboard Hyperx Origins 65
Software Windows 10
Regarding ktr's source:

So if a "single user" were to sell said gaming unit and keep the copy of the software, they would have said right to get a copy of the software by EULA if they were to purchase a new computer or gaming unit of a different platform, if available.

I think that's what kid is trying to get acrossed. Like I said though just playing devil's advocate and trying to understand why he/she posted...

No, it's the consumer market that attracts devs to a platform. If a platform sucks and no one buys games for that platform, no one develops for it.

They do. You only have to pay for a particular platform game if you own that platform and want to play the game on it.

The code on the disk is what makes it possible to play the game on the platform, not just give access to the game.

I'm really confused. If you only want one platform, then just buy games for that platform.
I don't own any consoles, so I just buy PC games.

You base your points on the current market which is quite confusing and not exactly benefits consumers.

I'm throwing out other options that can solve the multi-platform game problems to prove what i think is right or make more sense for us, which is we in no mean need to buy a copy for a specific platform just because we want to play it on a different platform.

The root of the problem was not created by consumers. Everyone (big corps) wants their own platform (profits), and they know really well what they are doing, because the market has matured a lot now. They just don't put out stupid thing like before.

If there were a big enough differences between platform to justify its existences then it's fine, but look at the PS3, Xbox360, and PC games library.

What's exactly the differences? Games can be made on all said platforms. It's ok if they wants their games to be exclusive, but non-exclusive ones should be playable on any platforms for a small fee like i suggested.

Still, put all the problems aside, and think about this from a logical perceptive. Should we be able to play games on any platforms by just buying a game title?

We do able to play music and movie on most devices, aren't we?

Kreij

Senior Monkey Moderator
You want to be able to buy one disk and use it in any device (similar to how a movie will play in multiple devices).

It's possible for the developers to write code that could auto-detect the device the disk is loaded into and use the appropriate code for the detected device, but that is really unlikely to ever happen.
It would completely elimate things like "console exclusives", which are huge moneymakers for the console makers, publishers and developers.
It would also virtually eliminate any competitive edge a given console has in the market which would be horribly bad for consumers. Console prices would go through the roof.

DOH ! You snuck in a post while I was making mine, Kid. :D

W

wahdangun

the real problem is each disc sold the dev must pay royalti fee. So its impossible to give free xbox version of the game even when you have the ps3 version, but I'm sure that when you buy steam based ps3 games you can have the pc version for free

ktr

Regarding ktr's source:

So if a "single user" were to sell said gaming unit and keep the copy of the software, they would have said right to get a copy of the software by EULA if they were to purchase a new computer or gaming unit of a different platform, if available.

I think that's what kid is trying to get acrossed. Like I said though just playing devil's advocate and trying to understand why he/she posted...

Per that R* EULA, your statement is incorrect.

For example, if I've bought GTA4 on my PS3, I have bought a licence for one copy. Now if I sold my PS3, and want to play GTA4 on the PC. I will have to buy a new licence because I need another copy of GTA4. My original licence only covers one copy, not two.

EULA are written by lawyers, and are bullet proof.

Long story short: EULA defines the licence agreement (hence the name "end-user licensing agreements"...duh). So if you don't agree with the EULA, then don't buy/install the game.