• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Windows 7: Clean Install From Upgrade Media

Wrigleyvillain

PTFO or GTFO
System Name DarkStar
Processor i5 3570K 4.4Ghz
Motherboard Asrock Z77 Extreme 3
Cooling Apogee HD White/XSPC Razer blocks
Memory 8GB Samsung Green 1600
Video Card(s) 2 x GTX 670 4GB
Storage 2 x 120GB Samsung 830
Display(s) 27" QNIX
Case Enthoo Pro
Power Supply Seasonic Platinum 760
Mouse Steelseries Sensei
Keyboard Ducky Pro MX Black
Software Windows 8.1 x64
I pre-ordered Win 7 upgrade for $50. It did not ask for any proof of earlier Windows license, though technically one should have one as that's what an upgrade is, right? As I had a retail copy of Vista Ultimate from work I figured I was safe no matter what. Then at release it was fairly well documented around the web that one was able to perform a clean install from "Upgrade" DVD and that was my experience as well. Not just once but at least four times across three different motherboards. I would have to go through the phone activation after a mobo change which is a little annoying but it always went fine (and I understand the need to protect themselves in this way).

However, the last time (about 6 months ago) it did not go fine. It refused to activate even via the phone system and I had to talk to a guy in India. He would not budge on the "fact" that it was not possible to do a full, clean install on a blank HDD with an upgrade DVD and I would have to install Vista first despite my protests that it had worked just fine multiple times in the past. I understand that's what he had to say but I kept at it at least in hopes that I could determine if something had changed with the system/policy. But I essentially got nothing from him (good at his job).

So I am posting this because I am about to try again and as such am wondering about others experiences with this. Especially as I am about to install to a new Sandforce 2 SSD and it sure would be great to not have to install freaking Vista first again and save myself the time and the unnecessary writes to my new drive.

Frick

Fishfaced Nincompoop
System Name Black MC in Tokyo
Processor Ryzen 5 5600
Motherboard Asrock B450M-HDV
Cooling Be Quiet! Pure Rock 2
Memory 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury 3400mhz
Video Card(s) XFX 6950XT Speedster MERC 319
Storage Kingston A400 240GB | WD Black SN750 2TB |WD Blue 1TB x 2 | Toshiba P300 2TB | Seagate Expansion 8TB
Display(s) Samsung U32J590U 4K + BenQ GL2450HT 1080p
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Audio Device(s) Line6 UX1 + some headphones, Nektar SE61 keyboard
Power Supply Corsair RM850x v3
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Cherry MX Board 1.0 TKL Brown
VR HMD Acer Mixed Reality Headset
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Rimworld 4K ready!
I worked on MS tech support for a while here in sweden, and we actually helped customers doing what you did with upgrade media. If they asked for it and knew that it worked. See, there is no difference between an upgrade or full retail license. The upgrade license IS an FPP (Full Package Product). I don't know if MS want people to know it or something, but it should totally work.

Some licensing differs between continents though, but I'm pretty sure Upgrade = FPP worldwide.

ktr

Usually if they don't budge, try again. You will find some one who will give you the activation code.

Also act dumb. Just say I replaced a defective motherboard. You do not have to go through detail about how you installed the OS.

Wrigleyvillain

PTFO or GTFO
System Name DarkStar
Display(s) 27" QNIX
Case Enthoo Pro
Mouse Steelseries Sensei
Software Windows 8.1 x64
I worked on MS tech support for a while here in sweden, and we actually helped customers doing what you did with upgrade media. If they asked for it and knew that it worked. See, there is no difference between an upgrade or full retail license. The upgrade license IS an FPP (Full Package Product). I don't know if MS want people to know it or something, but it should totally work.

Some licensing differs between continents though, but I'm pretty sure Upgrade = FPP worldwide.

Hmm well I had the opposite experience; the guy claimed there was no way to do it with upgrade media despite me knowing it was from past experience. Again, more than anything I guess I am wondering if something has changed. Guess I'll just go ahead and try it again and hopefully the phone system works for me this time.

Frick

Fishfaced Nincompoop
Processor Ryzen 5 5600
Storage Kingston A400 240GB | WD Black SN750 2TB |WD Blue 1TB x 2 | Toshiba P300 2TB | Seagate Expansion 8TB
Mouse Logitech G602
Software Windows 10 Pro
Usually if they don't budge, try again. You will find some one who will give you the activation code.

Also act dumb. Just say I replaced a defective motherboard. You do not have to go through detail about how you installed the OS.

If it's retail they shouldn't care either way, but if it's OEM I would totally refuse in stone to do anything about it. Mostly because they can't as they're tied to the motherboard/BIOS/whatever.

Fun fact: OEM licenses that comes together with prebuilds (ie HP, Dell, Aces etc) will simply show up as blocked in Microsofts tools so it's no point in even trying really.

Wrigleyvillain

PTFO or GTFO
System Name DarkStar
Display(s) 27" QNIX
Case Enthoo Pro
Mouse Steelseries Sensei
Software Windows 8.1 x64
It's retail. Yeah maybe I just got a "bad representative" from my perspective but the strange (and worrisome) part is that suddenly the phone activation system would not give me a code anymore.

ktr

If it's retail they shouldn't care either way, but if it's OEM I would totally refuse in stone to do anything about it. Mostly because they can't as they're tied to the motherboard/BIOS/whatever.

Fun fact: OEM licenses that comes together with prebuilds (ie HP, Dell, Aces etc) will simply show up as blocked in Microsofts tools so it's no point in even trying really.

Yet I still get a OEM license reactivated every single time.

T

twilyth

Were I in your situation, I would grab a good disk imager like Acronis (be sure to burn the recovery disk if you do that).

I would then do a clean install of Vista and image it with acronis.

Then, the next time I wanted to do a clean install, just restore from the image (which ideally would be on a second drive in the system or on an external drive) and then do the restore.

An image restore should only take a fraction of the time of a Vista install and you shouldn't have any issues with activation

Win-win!! :toast:

edit - you might run into some problems with a new motherboard but i've done a w7 "upgrade" install on a rig where I had changed the motherboard and it worked fine - more or less. I did loose my ability to use the windows back up utility and a few other minor annoyances, but at least I didn't have to reinstall all of "my" software. It might not work, but I would give it a shot.

Frick

Fishfaced Nincompoop
Processor Ryzen 5 5600
Mouse Logitech G602
Software Windows 10 Pro
Yet I still get a OEM license reactivated every single time.

Aye there are ways to work around OEM licenses you bought yourself. If you ever talked to me I would only say "tough luck" though. :pimp:

Wrigleyvillain

PTFO or GTFO
System Name DarkStar
Display(s) 27" QNIX
Case Enthoo Pro
Mouse Steelseries Sensei
Software Windows 8.1 x64
Yeah I considered an image but want to do fully clean from DVD to my SSD and also don't want to have to bother with Vista at all and not just cause of time. That's not a truly clean install IMO.

Well none of this matters tonight anyway as Newegg has suddenly started using USPS too and my package was "out for delivery" since ten AM but never showed up at my office. Pretty pissed. Have time for this tonight and itching to do it as well; long overdue.