• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

New CUDA 4.0 Release Makes Parallel Programming Easier

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
NVIDIA today announced the latest version of the NVIDIA CUDA Toolkit for developing parallel applications using NVIDIA GPUs. The NVIDIA CUDA 4.0 Toolkit was designed to make parallel programming easier, and enable more developers to port their applications to GPUs. This has resulted in three main features:
  • NVIDIA GPUDirect 2.0 Technology -- Offers support for peer-to-peer communication among GPUs within a single server or workstation. This enables easier and faster multi-GPU programming and application performance.
  • Unified Virtual Addressing (UVA) -- Provides a single merged-memory address space for the main system memory and the GPU memories, enabling quicker and easier parallel programming.
  • Thrust C++ Template Performance Primitives Libraries -- Provides a collection of powerful open source C++ parallel algorithms and data structures that ease programming for C++ developers. With Thrust, routines such as parallel sorting are 5X to 100X faster than with Standard Template Library (STL) and Threading Building Blocks (TBB).

"Unified virtual addressing and faster GPU-to-GPU communication makes it easier for developers to take advantage of the parallel computing capability of GPUs," said John Stone, senior research programmer, University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign.

"Having access to GPU computing through the standard template interface greatly increases productivity for a wide range of tasks, from simple cashflow generation to complex computations with Libor market models, variable annuities or CVA adjustments," said Peter Decrem, director of Rates Products at Quantifi. "The Thrust C++ library has lowered the barrier of entry significantly by taking care of low-level functionality like memory access and allocation, allowing the financial engineer to focus on algorithm development in a GPU-enhanced environment."

The CUDA 4.0 architecture release includes a number of other key features and capabilities, including:
  • MPI Integration with CUDA Applications -- Modified MPI implementations automatically move data from and to the GPU memory over Infiniband when an application does an MPI send or receive call.
  • Multi-thread Sharing of GPUs -- Multiple CPU host threads can share contexts on a single GPU, making it easier to share a single GPU by multi-threaded applications.
  • Multi-GPU Sharing by Single CPU Thread -- A single CPU host thread can access all GPUs in a system. Developers can easily coordinate work across multiple GPUs for tasks such as "halo" exchange in applications.
  • New NPP Image and Computer Vision Library -- A rich set of image transformation operations that enable rapid development of imaging and computer vision applications.
    o New and Improved Capabilities
    o Auto performance analysis in the Visual Profiler
    o New features in cuda-gdb and added support for MacOS
    o Added support for C++ features like new/delete and virtual functions
    o New GPU binary disassembler
A release candidate of CUDA Toolkit 4.0 will be available free of charge beginning March 4, 2011, by enrolling in the CUDA Registered Developer Program here. The CUDA Registered Developer Program provides a wealth of tools, resources, and information for parallel application developers to maximize the potential of CUDA.

For more information on the features and capabilities of the CUDA Toolkit and on GPGPU applications, please visit: http://www.nvidia.com/cuda

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

System Name iLLz-CreaTionZ
Processor Intel Core i5 6600K @ 4.5 Ghz
Motherboard Asus Z170-A
Cooling Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO
Memory 16GB G.SKILL TridentX DDR4 @ 3000 Mhz
Video Card(s) eVGA GTX 960 SSC 4GB @ 1287 MHz Core (1400 MHz Boost)
Storage Corsair Force SSD 240GB; 2 x Seagate 7200.10 320GB RAID 0; 1 x WD 1TB; External Seagate Pro 500GB
Display(s) Samsung SyncMaster 226BW
Case DeepCool Tesseract
Power Supply PCP&C SilentCool 750 Quad Black
Mouse Logitech G500
Keyboard Razer DeathStalker
Software Windows 10 x64 Pro
This is interesting. I would love to see some real world implementations tested.

Processor Ryzen 9 5900X
Motherboard Gigabyte X570 Aorus Pro
Cooling AiO 240mm
Memory 2x 32GB Kingston Fury Beast 3600MHz CL18
Video Card(s) Radeon RX 6900XT Reference (amd.com)
Storage O.S.: 256GB SATA | 2x 1TB SanDisk SSD SATA Data | Games: 1TB Samsung 970 Evo
Display(s) LG 34" UWQHD
Audio Device(s) X-Fi XtremeMusic + Gigaworks SB750 7.1 THX
Power Supply XFX 850W
Mouse Logitech G502 Wireless
VR HMD Lenovo Explorer
Software Windows 10 64bit
As an owner of both CUDA-enabled nVidia GPUs and ATI GPUs, I say down with CUDA. Just make way for better OpenCL implementations.

In 2011, I see CUDA solely as nVidia's "evil" commitment to try to keep GPGPU to themselves and closed-source.

System Name Jupiter-2
Processor Intel i3-6100
Motherboard H170I-PLUS D3
Cooling Stock
Memory 8GB Mushkin DDR3L-1600
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 1050ti
Storage 512GB Corsair SSD
Display(s) BENQ 24in
Case Lian Li PC-Q01B Mini ITX
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Corsair 450W
Mouse Logitech Trackball
Keyboard Custom bamboo job
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Finished Super PI on legendary mode in only 13 hours.
As an owner of both CUDA-enabled nVidia GPUs and ATI GPUs, I say down with CUDA. Just make way for better OpenCL implementations.

In 2011, I see CUDA solely as nVidia's "evil" commitment to try to keep GPGPU to themselves and closed-source.

I'm the same way. I really do respect Nvidia for the work they did with CUDA -- supporting developers in this type of programming when no one else was -- but the time has come for a truly open GPU computing method that everyone can support without paying someone royalty fees, or being at the mercy of a competitor's development practices.

Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5950x, Ryzen 9 5980HX
Motherboard MSI X570 Tomahawk
Cooling Be Quiet Dark Rock Pro 4(With Noctua Fans)
Memory 32Gb Crucial 3600 Ballistix
Video Card(s) Gigabyte RTX 3080, Asus 6800M
Storage Adata SX8200 1TB NVME/WD Black 1TB NVME
Display(s) Dell 27 Inch 165Hz
Case Phanteks P500A
Audio Device(s) IFI Zen Dac/JDS Labs Atom+/SMSL Amp+Rivers Audio
Power Supply Corsair RM850x
Mouse Logitech G502 SE Hero
Keyboard Corsair K70 RGB Mk.2
VR HMD Samsung Odyssey Plus
Software Windows 10
4.0 . . . . . is there a 3.0

edit

oh the newest is 3.2

System Name 4k
Processor AMD 5800x3D
Motherboard MSI MAG b550m Mortar Wifi
Cooling Corsair H100i
Memory 4x8Gb Crucial Ballistix 3600 CL16 bl8g36c16u4b.m8fe1
Video Card(s) Nvidia Reference 3080Ti
Storage ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro 1TB
Display(s) LG 48" C1
Case CORSAIR Carbide AIR 240 Micro-ATX
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar STX
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA 650W
Software Microsoft Windows10 Pro x64
I'm the same way. I really do respect Nvidia for the work they did with CUDA -- supporting developers in this type of programming when no one else was -- but the time has come for a truly open GPU computing method that everyone can support without paying someone royalty fees, or being at the mercy of a competitor's development practices.

I agree and AMD has stepped out big with OpenCL, i really hope Nvidia mans up and meets them half way.

System Name AMD FX
Processor AMD FX 8350 @ 4.8Ghz
Motherboard Asus Sabretooth 990FX R2.0
Cooling Corsair H100
Memory 16GB Corsair Vegance 1866
Video Card(s) AMD HD7970 Gigabyte
Storage Sandisk Extreme SSD, 500gb SG Sata
Display(s) Samsung 2333sw
Case HAF 922
Audio Device(s) Realtek HD Audio
Power Supply Thermaltake Toughpower 750w
Software Windows 10 Professional x64
they will grasp at cuda until the very end, its been around for years and still nothing much to show for it.

Cheeseball

Not a Potato
Supporter
System Name 2023 AMD Work & Gaming Rig
Processor AMD Ryzen™ 7 7950X3D
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix X670E-I Gaming WiFi
Cooling ID-COOLING SE-207-XT Slim Snow
Memory TEAMGROUP T-Force Delta RGB 2x16GB DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) ASRock Radeon RX 7900 XTX 24 GB GDDR6 (MBA)
Storage 2TB Samsung 990 Pro NVMe
Display(s) AOpen Fire Legend 24" 390Hz (25XV2Q), Alienware 34" 165Hz (AW3423DWF), LG C2 42" 120Hz (OLED42C2PUA)
Case Cooler Master Q300L V2
Audio Device(s) Kanto Audio YU2 and SUB8 Desktop Speakers and Subwoofer, Cloud Alpha Wireless
Power Supply Corsair RM850x White (2021)
Mouse Logitech Pro Superlight (White), G303 Shroud Edition
Keyboard Corsair K70 RGB TKL Champion Series / Wooting 60HE / NuPhy Air75
VR HMD Occulus Quest 2 128GB
Software Windows 11 Pro 64-bit 22H2 Build 22621.1992

Why would CUDA be evil? It may be proprietary (e.g. works with only with NVIDIA CUDA cores) but it is open and anybody can utilize the SDK. It's also more developed than OpenCL at the moment. (Offers more functions, just like NVIDIA's OpenGL Extensions.)

CUDA is easily portable to OpenCL, but there will be performance issues when compiling using AMD cards.

I agree and AMD has stepped out big with OpenCL, i really hope Nvidia mans up and meets them half way.

NVIDIA has supported OpenCL just as long as AMD has. In fact, from personal experience, their implementation seems more solid compared to AMD's current SDK.

Last edited:
Processor Ryzen 9 5900X
Cooling AiO 240mm
Storage O.S.: 256GB SATA | 2x 1TB SanDisk SSD SATA Data | Games: 1TB Samsung 970 Evo
Display(s) LG 34" UWQHD
Power Supply XFX 850W
VR HMD Lenovo Explorer
Why would CUDA be evil?
(...)
CUDA is easily portable to OpenCL, but there will be performance issues when compiling using AMD cards.

You just answered yourself.

Benetanegia

Nvidia is doing for OpenCL as much as AMD if not more, AMD is just being more vocal about it now that they can finally use it as an advantage (i.e they have Fusion and Intel has nothing). But because Nvidia supports OpenCL, that does not mean they should stop development on CUDA. It's the absolute opposite. Creating and evolving an open source API takes a lot of time, because of all the parties involved. i.e. not only matters WHAT things the API does but also HOW they are done and everyone involved wants it to be their way, so it takes time and the API is always one step behind what the actual users NEED. This is less of a problem in mature markets and APIs like DirectX/OpenGL* because the market is "stagnated" and it's the users who are one step behind. But on a emerging market like GPGPU new needs are created on a daily basis and for the actual people using them it's critical to get them ASAP. Nvidia actually helps them by evolving CUDA and exposing to their hardware all those things that developers need, without the requirement to go through months or years of certifications and whatnot. It's because of this that CUDA is successful and REQUIRED in the industry. For actual users is imperative to have those features now. Let's discuss this in a few years.

*And even then it's more than known that OpenGL has been 1 even 2 steps behind and still is in many way. It's also known how that has affected the market and most people would agree that advancement in DX has been a good thing. Well it is.

You just answered yourself.

That works the other way around too. That's the most stupid thing that people don't seem to understand. OpenCL may be cross-platform, but its optimizations certainly aren't. Code optimized for Nvidia GPUs would be slow on AMD GPUs and code optimized for AMD would be slow on Nvidia. Developers still have to code specifically for every platform, so what's so bad about Nvidia offering a much better and mature solution again? Nvidia should deliberately botch down their development so that the open for all platform can catch up? The enterprise world (i.e medical/geological imaging) should wait 2 years more in order to get what they could have now just because you don't want to feel in disadvantage in that little meaningless application or that stupid game? Come on...

"To hell the ability to best diagnose cancer or predict hearthquakes/tornados, I want this post process filter run as fast in my card as in that other one. That surely should be way up on their list, and to hell the rest. After all, I spend millions helping in the development of GPGPU and/or paying for the program afterwards... NO. Wait. That's the enterprises :banghead:, I'm actually the little whinny boy that demands that the FREE feature I get with my $200 GPU is "fair".

Processor Ryzen 9 5900X
Cooling AiO 240mm
Display(s) LG 34" UWQHD
Power Supply XFX 850W
VR HMD Lenovo Explorer
Nvidia is doing for OpenCL as much as AMD if not more, AMD is just being more vocal about it now that they can finally use it as an advantage (i.e they have Fusion and Intel has nothing). But because Nvidia supports OpenCL, that does not mean they should stop development on CUDA. It's the absolute opposite. Creating and evolving an open source API takes a lot of time, because of all the parties involved. i.e. not only matters WHAT things the API does but also HOW they are done and everyone involved wants it to be their way, so it takes time and the API is always one step behind what the actual users NEED. This is less of a problem in mature markets and APIs like DirectX/OpenGL* because the market is "stagnated" and it's the users who are one step behind. But on a emerging market like GPGPU new needs are created on a daily basis and for the actual people using them it's critical to get them ASAP. Nvidia actually helps them by evolving CUDA and exposing to their hardware all those things that developers need, without the requirement to go through months or years of certifications and whatnot. It's because of this that CUDA is successful and REQUIRED in the industry. For actual users is imperative to have those features now. Let's discuss this in a few years.
Vendor specific APIs have never had good results in the long term.
No matter what you say about CUDA being more developed than OpenCL, the truth is that nVidia works on CUDA in order to differentiate its GPUs, and not just to help the computing community.

That works the other way around too. That's the most stupid thing that people don't seem to understand. OpenCL may be cross-platform, but its optimizations certainly aren't.
Neither are DirectX and OpenGL vendor-specific graphics optimizations. But at least in that case all the participants get a fighting chance through driver optimization.
What is so odd and stupid to you seems pretty simple to me.

Code optimized for Nvidia GPUs would be slow on AMD GPUs and code optimized for AMD would be slow on Nvidia. Developers still have to code specifically for every platform, so what's so bad about Nvidia offering a much better and mature solution again?
It only works in their GPUs. It's in all customers' interest to have competitive choices from various brands.

Nvidia should deliberately botch down their development so that the open for all platform can catch up?
No, they should redirect their efforts in CUDA because it is a vendor-specific API, and as such it has no long-term future.

The enterprise world (i.e medical/geological imaging) should wait 2 years more in order to get what they could have now just because you don't want to feel in disadvantage in that little meaningless application or that stupid game? Come on...
"To hell the ability to best diagnose cancer or predict hearthquakes/tornados, I want this post process filter run as fast in my card as in that other one. That surely should be way up on their list, and to hell the rest.
LOL yeah convince yourself that's the reason why nVidia is pushing CUDA, in an era where a dozen of GPU makers (nVidia, AMD, VIA, PowerVR, ARM Mali, Vivante, Broadcom, Qualcomm, etc) are supporting OpenCL in their latest GPUs.

Benetanegia

Vendor specific APIs have never had good results in the long term.
No matter what you say about CUDA being more developed than OpenCL, the truth is that nVidia works on CUDA in order to differentiate its GPUs, and not just to help the computing community.

Neither are DirectX and OpenGL vendor-specific graphics optimizations. But at least in that case all the participants get a fighting chance through driver optimization.
What is so odd and stupid to you seems pretty simple to me.

It only works in their GPUs. It's in all customers' interest to have competitive choices from various brands.

No, they should redirect their efforts in CUDA because it is a vendor-specific API, and as such it has no long-term future.

LOL yeah convince yourself that's the reason why nVidia is pushing CUDA, in an era where a dozen of GPU makers (nVidia, AMD, VIA, PowerVR, ARM Mali, Vivante, Broadcom, Qualcomm, etc) are supporting OpenCL in their latest GPUs.

What do you fail to understand? Nvidia IS supporting OpenCL. It's not hurting the development of OpenCL one bit. IN THE MEANTIME CUDA is the best option for the developers that's why they use CUDA to begin with.

Vendor specific is meaningless in the enterprise world and has always been. EVERYTHING is vendor specific in the enterprise world. They compile their code, x86 code for the specific CPU brand they chose for their server, using the best compiler available for there needs, they've been doing for decades, but now it's bad because it's Nvidia...

SOOOO once again what's wrong about Nvidia delivering the best API they can to those customers?

What you fail to understand is that Nvidia does not need to drop CUDA in order to support OpenCL. In fact every single feature, every single optimization they make for CUDA can help develop and evolve OpenCL.

And when the most competitive, robust and easy to use combo right now is Nvidia GPU+CUDA is in customers best interest to get that and not wait 2+ years until OpenCL is in the same state for either AMD or Nvidia... really it's not that hard to understand...:shadedshu

Last edited:

Fourstaff

Staff member
System Name Orange! // ItchyHands
Processor 3570K // 10400F
Motherboard ASRock z77 Extreme4 // TUF Gaming B460M-Plus
Cooling Stock // Stock
Memory 2x4Gb 1600Mhz CL9 Corsair XMS3 // 2x8Gb 3200 Mhz XPG D41
Video Card(s) Sapphire Nitro+ RX 570 // Asus TUF RTX 2070
Storage Samsung 840 250Gb // SX8200 480GB
Display(s) LG 22EA53VQ // Philips 275M QHD
Case NZXT Phantom 410 Black/Orange // Tecware Forge M
Power Supply Corsair CXM500w // CM MWE 600w
Coming from an academic's point of view, CUDA is easier to work with, OpenCL takes a lot more effort to learn, and support sometimes is not there. Hence sticking with CUDA for the time being because of ease of use and also its "standard" (as in a lot more people are using CUDA than others). Not from me, its from GPU programmers' here that I have met.

"How about OpenCL then? Isn't it better to support an open source project?" Reply: I don't give a s**t as long as I can finish my work with the least amount of hassle, and CUDA supports that view.

Probably in the future OpenCL will be the leader, but for now CUDA does the job more efficiently than OpenCL.

Mussels

Freshwater Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rainbow Sparkles (Power efficient, <350W gaming load)
Processor Ryzen R7 5800x3D (Undervolted, 4.45GHz all core)
Motherboard Asus x570-F (BIOS Modded)
Cooling Alphacool Apex UV - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora + EK Quantum ARGB 3090 w/ active backplate
Memory 2x32GB DDR4 3600 Corsair Vengeance RGB @3866 C18-22-22-22-42 TRFC704 (1.4V Hynix MJR - SoC 1.15V)
Video Card(s) Galax RTX 3090 SG 24GB: Underclocked to 1700Mhz 0.750v (375W down to 250W))
Storage 2TB WD SN850 NVME + 1TB Sasmsung 970 Pro NVME + 1TB Intel 6000P NVME USB 3.2
Display(s) Phillips 32 32M1N5800A (4k144), LG 32" (4K60) | Gigabyte G32QC (2k165) | Phillips 328m6fjrmb (2K144)
Case Fractal Design R6
Audio Device(s) Logitech G560 | Corsair Void pro RGB |Blue Yeti mic
Power Supply Fractal Ion+ 2 860W (Platinum) (This thing is God-tier. Silent and TINY)
Mouse Logitech G Pro wireless + Steelseries Prisma XL
Keyboard Razer Huntsman TE ( Sexy white keycaps)
VR HMD Oculus Rift S + Quest 2
Software Windows 11 pro x64 (Yes, it's genuinely a good OS) OpenRGB - ditch the branded bloatware!
Benchmark Scores Nyooom.
CUDA is still strong because it has better support, but we all want openCL to win out in the long run (even if they have to update it majorly before that happens)

Benetanegia

CUDA is still strong because it has better support, but we all want openCL to win out in the long run (even if they have to update it majorly before that happens)

Everyone wants that, but not because the strongest combatant leaves the arena (playing Oblivion :laugh:). OpenCL must win when it's better, by it's own merits, not because Nvidia drops CUDA or because they purposely slow down it's development, which is what some people here want apparently.

Cheeseball

Not a Potato
Supporter
System Name 2023 AMD Work & Gaming Rig
Processor AMD Ryzen™ 7 7950X3D
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix X670E-I Gaming WiFi
Cooling ID-COOLING SE-207-XT Slim Snow
Memory TEAMGROUP T-Force Delta RGB 2x16GB DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) ASRock Radeon RX 7900 XTX 24 GB GDDR6 (MBA)
Storage 2TB Samsung 990 Pro NVMe
Display(s) AOpen Fire Legend 24" 390Hz (25XV2Q), Alienware 34" 165Hz (AW3423DWF), LG C2 42" 120Hz (OLED42C2PUA)
Case Cooler Master Q300L V2
Audio Device(s) Kanto Audio YU2 and SUB8 Desktop Speakers and Subwoofer, Cloud Alpha Wireless
Power Supply Corsair RM850x White (2021)
Mouse Logitech Pro Superlight (White), G303 Shroud Edition
Keyboard Corsair K70 RGB TKL Champion Series / Wooting 60HE / NuPhy Air75
VR HMD Occulus Quest 2 128GB
Software Windows 11 Pro 64-bit 22H2 Build 22621.1992

They're pushing CUDA because it is successful, especially with a backing of huge software developers like Adobe (After Effects and Premiere are perfect examples) and MATLAB.

What you fail to understand is that Nvidia does not need to drop CUDA in order to support OpenCL. In fact every single feature, every single optimization they make for CUDA can help develop and evolve OpenCL.

Exactly. One thing you may not know about CUDA is that the applications can be ported very easily to OpenCL since they share the same exact functions (both support C99 and a ton of other languages) plus more. It's computational range is in fact similar to each other, and hell, even DirectCompute.

If anything, AMD/ATI should've took the offer to utilize CUDA in their GPUs back when NVIDIA was giving the chance. With that kind of backing, it could've formed a true basis for OpenCL, especially since even Apple was even thinking about using it as it's foundation in the beginning before the Khronos Group adopted it.

Wile E

Power User
System Name The ClusterF**k
Processor 980X @ 4Ghz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5 BIOS F12
Cooling MCR-320, DDC-1 pump w/Bitspower res top (1/2" fittings), Koolance CPU-360
Memory 3x2GB Mushkin Redlines 1600Mhz 6-8-6-24 1T
Video Card(s) Evga GTX 580
Storage Corsair Neutron GTX 240GB, 2xSeagate 320GB RAID0; 2xSeagate 3TB; 2xSamsung 2TB; Samsung 1.5TB
Display(s) HP LP2475w 24" 1920x1200 IPS
Case Technofront Bench Station
Audio Device(s) Auzentech X-Fi Forte into Onkyo SR606 and Polk TSi200's + RM6750
Power Supply ENERMAX Galaxy EVO EGX1250EWT 1250W
Software Win7 Ultimate N x64, OSX 10.8.4
Have to agree with Benetanegia on this one. CUDA is not a bad thing. It is leagues ahead of OpenCL right now, not only in terms of abilities, but also market adoption and ease of development for it.

When OpenCL catches up, then we can talk about how CUDA might be a hindrance to the market.

System Name Compy 386
Processor 7800X3D
Motherboard Asus
Cooling Air for now.....
Memory 64 GB DDR5 6400Mhz
Video Card(s) 7900XTX 310 Merc
Storage Samsung 990 2TB, 2 SP 2TB SSDs and over 10TB spinning
Display(s) 56" Samsung 4K HDR
Audio Device(s) ATI HDMI
Mouse Logitech MX518
Keyboard Razer
Software A lot.
Benchmark Scores Its fast. Enough.
If some people put green in gas and called it Nvidgas........

Processor Ryzen 9 5900X
Cooling AiO 240mm
Display(s) LG 34" UWQHD
Power Supply XFX 850W
VR HMD Lenovo Explorer
What do you fail to understand? Nvidia IS supporting OpenCL. It's not hurting the development of OpenCL one bit.
And you fail to understand that it is hurting the development of OpenCL while feeding a vendor-specific competitor API to the developers.

You also fail to understand that this has been nVidia's strategy for quite some time.
As Jen-Hsu Huang said, "were a software company".

IN THE MEANTIME CUDA is the best option for the developers that's why they use CUDA to begin with.
Sure, it's been there for longer.
And so was Glide, when it came down.

Vendor specific is meaningless in the enterprise world and has always been. EVERYTHING is vendor specific in the enterprise world.
lol, wrong. Costs go way down if you adopt open source software.

They compile their code, x86 code for the specific CPU brand they chose for their server, using the best compiler available for there needs
x86 code that can be run by all x86 cpu makers. Hence why sometimes we see design wins for AMD, others we see the same for Intel.
Well, there was this instruction-set specific tryout from Intel to the server market. Look how well that went, lol.

they've been doing for decades, but now it's bad because it's Nvidia...

SOOOO once again what's wrong about Nvidia delivering the best API they can to those customers?

Because there are non-vendor-exclusivie alternatives, open source or not.

And what you fail to understand is that nVidia could do that same optimization in OpenCL to start with.

And when the most competitive, robust and easy to use combo right now is Nvidia GPU+CUDA is in customers best interest to get that and not wait 2+ years until OpenCL is in the same state for either AMD or Nvidia... really it's not that hard to understand...:shadedshu

2 years?!?? LOL. I just made a list of eight GPU vendors pushing OpenCL 1.1 compatibility in their latest GPUs right now.

Fourstaff

Staff member
System Name Orange! // ItchyHands
Processor 3570K // 10400F
Motherboard ASRock z77 Extreme4 // TUF Gaming B460M-Plus
Cooling Stock // Stock
Memory 2x4Gb 1600Mhz CL9 Corsair XMS3 // 2x8Gb 3200 Mhz XPG D41
Video Card(s) Sapphire Nitro+ RX 570 // Asus TUF RTX 2070
Storage Samsung 840 250Gb // SX8200 480GB
Display(s) LG 22EA53VQ // Philips 275M QHD
Case NZXT Phantom 410 Black/Orange // Tecware Forge M
Power Supply Corsair CXM500w // CM MWE 600w
And you fail to understand that it is hurting the development of OpenCL while feeding a vendor-specific competitor API to the developers.

Sure, it's been there for longer.
And so was Glide, when it came down.

lol, wrong. Costs go way down if you adopt open source software.

Well, there was this instruction-set specific tryout from Intel to the server market. Look how well that went, lol.

And what you fail to understand is that nVidia could do that same optimization in OpenCL to start with.

Well, its not like Nvidia is not offering OpenCL, and by that argument you might as well say Windows is the ultimate evil, it hurts Linux, which is absurd.

Yes, CUDA has been around longer, receives more support, and is a better product in almost all ways then OpenCL. That alone should be enough reason why people choose CUDA: not everybody is bothered about "open source" and things like that, they just want to complete their work.

Initial costs for open source is low, but once you factor in support it goes right back up. Also, I don't really see the difference between CUDA and OpenCL: Both are "free", not in the traditional sense, but in the relative sense.

Intel tried to break away from the x86, its own standard. It failed hard. Not applicable here.

Yes, Nvidia can do the same optimisation at start, but on the other hand, OpenCL was still in its infancy when Nvidia started pushing CUDA. I think its because it doesn't want to be bothered with "external standards" and prefer to have its own list of requirements.

JEskandari

System Name MoonGlade
Processor Core I7 920
Motherboard MSI X58 Pro
Cooling PCcooler HP1216X
Memory Crucial Ballistix BL3KIT25664BN1608
Video Card(s) Palit GTX460 Sonic
Storage WCD WD1001FALS-00E3A0 + STM31000528AS
Display(s) LG W2262TQ
Case CoolerMaster HAF 922
Audio Device(s) ALC 888s
Power Supply SilverStone DA850
I wonder Why these Cuda haters that claim it's not open source
are not so Vocative when it come to OpenGl and DirectX maybe because
one GPU vendor run OpenGL better than the other one

it's right that cuda is not opensource but as I understand it's royalty
free and the only reason that the programs written for it are not able
to use it is because AMD did not wanted to come of it's high hours
and develop a CUDA driver for it's card or probably their software
engineers could not do it who knows ?

by the way Cuda is portable to everywhere if you like you can tomorrow
make a toaster that utilize CUDA for it's work and the Good point is that
it's royalty free not as something like DirectX that relay on Bloat-Ware to
run

Mussels

Freshwater Moderator
Staff member
Cooling Alphacool Apex UV - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora + EK Quantum ARGB 3090 w/ active backplate
Memory 2x32GB DDR4 3600 Corsair Vengeance RGB @3866 C18-22-22-22-42 TRFC704 (1.4V Hynix MJR - SoC 1.15V)
Video Card(s) Galax RTX 3090 SG 24GB: Underclocked to 1700Mhz 0.750v (375W down to 250W))
Storage 2TB WD SN850 NVME + 1TB Sasmsung 970 Pro NVME + 1TB Intel 6000P NVME USB 3.2
Display(s) Phillips 32 32M1N5800A (4k144), LG 32" (4K60) | Gigabyte G32QC (2k165) | Phillips 328m6fjrmb (2K144)
Case Fractal Design R6
Power Supply Fractal Ion+ 2 860W (Platinum) (This thing is God-tier. Silent and TINY)
Software Windows 11 pro x64 (Yes, it's genuinely a good OS) OpenRGB - ditch the branded bloatware!
Benchmark Scores Nyooom.
I wonder Why these Cuda haters that claim it's not open source
are not so Vocative when it come to OpenGl and DirectX

it's right that cuda is not opensource but as I understand it's royalty
free and the only reason that the programs written for it are not able
to use it is because AMD did not wanted to come of it's high hours
and develop a CUDA driver for it's card or probably their software
engineers could not do it who knows ?

by the way Cuda is portable to everywhere if you like you can tomorrow
make a toaster that utilize CUDA for it's work and the Good point is that
it's royalty free not as something like DirectX that relay on Bloat-Ware to
run

because everyone is welcome to use directX (video card manufacturers). the same is not true for Cuda. CUDA is exclusive to nvidia hardware. they never offered it to AMD, that was a rumour that had zero fact behind it.

also, where is this info about directX being bloatware? the only bloat about it is that it requires windows...

JEskandari

System Name MoonGlade
Processor Core I7 920
Motherboard MSI X58 Pro
Cooling PCcooler HP1216X
Memory Crucial Ballistix BL3KIT25664BN1608
Video Card(s) Palit GTX460 Sonic
Storage WCD WD1001FALS-00E3A0 + STM31000528AS
Display(s) LG W2262TQ
Case CoolerMaster HAF 922
Audio Device(s) ALC 888s
Power Supply SilverStone DA850
because everyone is welcome to use directX. the same is not true for Cuda. CUDA is exclusive to nvidia hardware. they never offered it to AMD, that was a rumour that had zero fact behind it.

also, where is this info about directX being bloatware? the only bloat about it is that it requires windows...

Well you Said it DirectX need a Bloat Ware Called Windows ,By the way let's just say the people who
use Linux or Mac are not that welcome the world of DirectX

by the way did ATI really need an offer ?
isn't it free to develop your CUDA Hardware and software implementation ?

Processor Ryzen 9 5900X
Cooling AiO 240mm
Display(s) LG 34" UWQHD
Power Supply XFX 850W
VR HMD Lenovo Explorer
Well, its not like Nvidia is not offering OpenCL, and by that argument you might as well say Windows is the ultimate evil, it hurts Linux, which is absurd.

Windows allows hardware differentiation and promotes hardware competiteveness.
CUDA does not.
At most, you could compare it to MacOS X, since it only supports whatever hardware that Apple choses to include in their computers at a given time.

Regardless of how well seen it is from a developer's point of view, it's just one more method for nVidia to try to sell more hardware with an exclusive computing API.

Mussels

Freshwater Moderator
Staff member
Case Fractal Design R6
Benchmark Scores Nyooom.
Well you Said it DirectX need a Bloat Ware Called Windows ,By the way let's just say the people who
use Linux or Mac are not that welcome the world of DirectX

on that whole front (i guess you're a linux or mac user), none of the OS's are software compatible between themselves. directX is one of... well, everything. its illogical thinking to make an example of one specific part of windows, when NOTHING that runs on windows runs on mac or linux, and vice versa.

by the way did ATI really need an offer ?
isn't it free to develop your CUDA Hardware and software implementation ?

uhhh... no. if someone started slapping CUDA on their products in any way, even advertising on the box, nvidia would sue their asses off.

you have to pay, and get nvidias approval to use cuda for a commercial product. Hell, look how much of a tightarse they've been with hardware accelerated physX, which runs on CUDA.