• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Sony Wins Again, Re-Secures PS3

HookeyStreet

Eat, sleep, game!
Interesting.

It's too early to call this the nail in the coffin for PS3 homebrew IMO. We'll have to wait and see what the wise coder cats, the ones who know how to stay on the cuff, have to say about all this. ;)

This! Sony may have won the battle. But the war will continue!

Over_Lord

News Editor
System Name BAH! - - tHE ECo FReAK
Processor Athlon II X4 620 @ 1.15V
Motherboard ASUS 785G EVO
Cooling Stock
Memory Corsair Titanium 4GB DDR3 1600MHz C9
Video Card(s) Sapphire HD5850 @ 1.049v
Storage Seagate 7200.12 500GB
Display(s) BenQ G2220HD
Case Cooler Master Elite 334
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Corsair VX550W
Software Windows 7 Ultimate x64
System Name Homelabs
Processor Ryzen 5900x | Ryzen 1920X
Motherboard Asus ProArt x570 Creator | AsRock X399 fatal1ty gaming
Cooling Silent Loop 2 280mm | Dark Rock Pro TR4
Memory 128GB (4x32gb) DDR4 3600Mhz | 128GB (8x16GB) DDR4 2933Mhz
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 3080 | ASUS Strix GTX 970
Storage Optane 900p + NVMe | Optane 900p + 8TB SATA SSDs + 48TB HDDs
Display(s) Alienware AW3423dw QD-OLED | HP Omen 32 1440p
Case be quiet! Dark Base Pro 900 rev 2 | be quiet! Silent Base 800
Power Supply Corsair RM750x + sleeved cables| EVGA P2 750W
Mouse Razer Viper Ultimate (still has buttons on the right side, crucial as I'm a southpaw)
Keyboard Razer Huntsman Elite, Pro Type | Logitech G915 TKL
System Name Gundam 00
Processor 3612QM 2.10Ghz
Motherboard Intel
Memory 4x4GB DDR3 1333
Video Card(s) Intel HD4000 and nVidia GT630M
Storage Seagate 640GB
Display(s) 15.6 Inches
Case Lenovo
Audio Device(s) Realtek HD
Software Windows 8 x64 Enterprise N

HookeyStreet

Eat, sleep, game!
Is the linux on PS3 way better than PC version??? i don't get it...

I doubt it. It just comes down to principals. The PS3 was sold with the OtherOS feature, so they shouldn't have the rights to remove it.

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
System Name Quantumville™
Processor Intel Core i7-2700K @ 4GHz
Motherboard Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Memory 16GB (2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Black DDR3 PC3-12800 C9 1600MHz)
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2080 SUPER Gaming X Trio
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB | WD Black 4TB | WD Blue 6TB
Display(s) ASUS ROG Strix XG27UQR (4K, 144Hz, G-SYNC compatible) | Asus MG28UQ (4K, 60Hz, FreeSync compatible)
Case Cooler Master HAF 922
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Fatal1ty PCIe
Power Supply Corsair AX1600i
Mouse Microsoft Intellimouse Pro - Black Shadow
Keyboard Yes
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
I wonder how long until it gets cracked again...

System Name Corsair 900D
Processor FX8350
Motherboard Asus Crosshair V
Cooling Corsair H110I
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) Asus GTX1080
Storage 2x 500GB 1x 1TB WD Green
Display(s) Acer 24" 1080p / HP 27" 1080p LED
Case Corsair 900D
Audio Device(s) Sound Blaster X-Fi (Built in/Mobo) - Xonar Sound Card
Power Supply Enermax 1020Watt
Mouse Logitech Something Whatever
Keyboard Logtich G910
Software Windows 10
Hopefully it takes a while to crack. It took some time for them to get past the mtldr....years. Now with that completely removed from some sources, and an alternative security protocol in place... Who knows, hopefully it's years again.

HookeyStreet

Eat, sleep, game!
Hopefully it takes a while to crack. It took some time for them to get past the mtldr....years. Now with that completely removed from some sources, and an alternative security protocol in place... Who knows, hopefully it's years again.

Party pooper!!! :D

Seriously, I hear hacking has destroyed PSN. So maybe it's a good thing that they have bunged this hold up.

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Display(s) ASUS ROG Strix XG27UQR (4K, 144Hz, G-SYNC compatible) | Asus MG28UQ (4K, 60Hz, FreeSync compatible)
Keyboard Yes

Hmmm yeah, three cheers for big brother and DRM corporate consumer control. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
System Name Corsair 900D
Processor FX8350
Cooling Corsair H110I
Case Corsair 900D
Keyboard Logtich G910
Software Windows 10
Hmmm yeah, three cheers for big brother and DRM corporate consumer control. :rolleyes:

haha, trust me I do my fair share of bypassing DRM- but when it comes to playing online, if your going to kick my ass, at least do it without cheats or hacked console.

And I am definitely all for Homebrew, TBH I wish more consoles and companies supported Homebrew without the fears of having security exploited and compromised.

I do understand some people do it for a challenge, but if they want a challenge, they should try to crack Google Chrome, and get paid rather than get sued like Mr.Hotz there.

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Keyboard Yes
Ok, I see where you're coming from, Mike and I'm glad you've done your bit of jailbreaking too. I'm all for locking out online cheaters.

Unfortunately, it has the side effect of removing a feature it was sold with and advertised with and which has legitimate uses (Linux & homebrew) which is wrong.

I'm glad there are people like GeoHotz around with the skills to get past the DRM. If it wasn't for them, we'd all be stuck in a DRM prison with no way to get out and Big Business would be screwing us ever more with locked down products. One fine example is iTunes, which now has DRM-free music thanks to the activities of hackers breaking their DRM every time.

"Piracy" hasn't killed that market, proving you don't need to screw over your customers to make money. Big Media of course will never admit this and continues on with its relentless victimization of people. :rolleyes:

Here's an excellent website that covers this stuff in detail: www.techdirt.com

Processor Core i7 920
Motherboard Asus P6T v2
Cooling Noctua D-14
Memory OCZ Gold 1600
Video Card(s) Powercolor PCS+ 5870
Storage Samsung SpinPoint F3 1 TB
Display(s) Samsung LE-B530 37" TV
Case Lian Li PC-B25F
Audio Device(s) N/A
Power Supply Thermaltake Toughpower 700w
Software Windows 7 64-bit
Ok, I see where you're coming from, Mike and I'm glad you've done your bit of jailbreaking too. I'm all for locking out online cheaters.

Unfortunately, it has the side effect of removing a feature it was sold with and advertised with and which has legitimate uses (Linux & homebrew) which is wrong.

I'm glad there are people like GeoHotz around with the skills to get past the DRM. If it wasn't for them, we'd all be stuck in a DRM prison with no way to get out and Big Business would be screwing us ever more with locked down products. One fine example is iTunes, which now has DRM-free music thanks to the activities of hackers breaking their DRM every time.

"Piracy" hasn't killed that market, proving you don't need to screw over your customers to make money. Big Media of course will never admit this and continues on with its relentless victimization of people. :rolleyes:

I agree with your sentiments. This will be hacked again, it's just a matter of time, thereby proving that anything over and above the most basic security measures are pointless and only really serve to inconvenience paying customers.

Over_Lord

News Editor
System Name BAH! - - tHE ECo FReAK
Processor Athlon II X4 620 @ 1.15V
Motherboard ASUS 785G EVO
Cooling Stock
Memory Corsair Titanium 4GB DDR3 1600MHz C9
Video Card(s) Sapphire HD5850 @ 1.049v
Storage Seagate 7200.12 500GB
Display(s) BenQ G2220HD
Case Cooler Master Elite 334
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Corsair VX550W
Software Windows 7 Ultimate x64
System Name Corsair 900D
Processor FX8350
Cooling Corsair H110I
Case Corsair 900D
Keyboard Logtich G910
Software Windows 10

I agree with that. Thanks for the link, never have seen that site before. :toast:

Sony should of never removed the OtherOS - but since it was due to a major security flaw I can see their reasons for doing it. There's probably much more behind that security flaw than we are also led to believe. I am much happier with the Sony PSN than I was with MS Live community, MS is hacked beyond all sort's of repair, there is an article out there I think on Microsoft Points being stolen or heisted out, costing MS over $1 million in losses. Don't see this on the Sony side to often.

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Keyboard Yes
I agree with your sentiments. This will be hacked again, it's just a matter of time, thereby proving that anything over and above the most basic security measures are pointless and only really serve to inconvenience paying customers.

2nd time was a few days

I agree with that. Thanks for the link, never have seen that site before. :toast:

Sony should of never removed the OtherOS - but since it was due to a major security flaw I can see their reasons for doing it. There's probably much more behind that security flaw than we are also led to believe. I am much happier with the Sony PSN than I was with MS Live community, MS is hacked beyond all sort's of repair, there is an article out there I think on Microsoft Points being stolen or heisted out, costing MS over $1 million in losses. Don't see this on the Sony side to often.

Thanks people. :) Just wanna add that I did a little bit of jailbreaking myself recently.

I moved away from BT as my ISP, because of truly incompetent, terrible service. I had their BT HomeHub 2.0A which is a decent router, but is locked to BT. So I scoured the net (ie googled furiously) and found a site that's set up explicitly to jailbreak BT equipment. Carefully following their instructions (which required two USB sticks no less!) I was able to free my little router from it's DRM prison. It's now working happily and reliably with my new provider.

And as I got the router for "free" as part of BT's service, was I morally wrong in doing it? I think not. BT don't want it back, so it had become just another paperweight or landfill material. Doing this has actually promoted recycling and conservation of earth's resources. ;)