• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Problem with RBE 1.26 and HD6850

4board

Hi,

First of all, thanks for this tool, RBE.
Yesterday I edited the bios of my XFX 6850 and changed clocks and FANs, then flashed with latest atiflash 3.79.
All looks ok until the Windows bootscreen, then I got a blackscreen.
Before flashing I uninstalled the Catalyst and it booted fine. I checked with GPU-Z 0.48 and I saw that the clocks were ok, modified like I wanted.
But then I install the latest Catalyst 10.10e, rebooted, and got the black screen.
Do you know if it's a problem with RBE or the Catalyst ? or both ?

Thanks

^Andy^

Hi, I have the same problem with the 6870 card. Any changes to the clock speed area of the bios via rbe result in the black screen you describe or the monitor going in to standby mode when the drivers attempt to initialise.

I have posted about it previously however no response as yet.

BAGZZlash

RBE Author
Seems to be another catalyst naging mechanism. Unfortunately I'm a little short of time currently. I will pick up investigating this soon, I hope.

4board

I also noticed something odd: XFX provided a new bios to get rid of the >70% fan at idle.
I flashed my card with the new bios. Then if you look at the 2 bioses:

_ old one: 113-HD685ZNF61.BIN
_ new one: 113-HD685ZNF62.BIN

for both bioses, RBE shows the same FAN profile:

So, I think RBE 1.26 gets wrong FAN informations.
I might be wrong but the FANs spin at 40-50% when temperature is between 40-50 C, and the graph shows that the FANs should spin at 22% until 55 C.

Also, I flashed my 6850 with a custom FAN profile, it booted ok, and when I edited the bios (saved from GPU-Z), I could see my custom profile, but it's not taken into account, since my FANs are still around 40-50% when temperature is between 40-50 C.

BAGZZlash

RBE Author
Yeah, that might be due to the driver taking control of the fan settings.

novadaemon

I'm new to this forum, but I would like to verify the OP's claim. I've modded my original Bios and a 6870 bios and flashed them both to my 6850 and have the same black screen problem after driver's try to read the clock speed of the bios. I have since been using the HIS 6870 bios on my 6850, but would like to just modify my original bios.

Charly

Try the Atiflash v.3.83 ;), did flash different original biossen on my 6850, no problemo, but with no clockspeed change.

crislink

Processor AMD Phenom II 940BE
Motherboard GA-MA790GP-UD4H
Cooling Air
Memory 4GB Corsair XMS2 DDR2
Video Card(s) 2x Toxic HD6850 Crossfire
Storage 1TB Seagate
Display(s) Acer 22"
Power Supply Corsair TX 750W
mmm do you think that reflashing a toxic hd 6850 bios changing only overdrive limits (to oc via catalyst cc) will get those issues??

i also found something intresting - the 1120 shader processor bios of a sapphire 6850 is on the bios list. will flashing my card with that bios leaving everithing unmodified will cause me any kind of issues?
it seem worthy, because i can get my oc values like the toxic right now, with a 4-5 fps boost of shaders

Last edited:

4board

Hi,
Late reply I know, but I tried RBE 1.28 + ATI flash 3.86. I wanted to modify the FAN, only.
Here is what I want: http://img821.imageshack.us/i/wantedq.png
and here is what I get: http://img826.imageshack.us/i/resulti.png

I use GPU-Z 0.52 to extract the bios once flashed.
But I also noticed that RBE 1.28 saves the bios with "Step function", but when I load the saved bios (rerun RBE), it has "Continous"...for Graph Type.

And too, whatever values I set into the look up table, I still get 47% for 41 C, values from original bios from XFX.

What am I doing wrong ? I know we can't change the clock, but the FAN are not properly working as well ? if so, what people do with RBE and 6850 cards ? change the bios version name, or the bios date/time only ? sorry I am confused and want to understand.

Thanks

Last edited:

BAGZZlash

RBE Author
Hi,
Late reply I know, but I tried RBE 1.28 + ATI flash 3.86. I wanted to modify the FAN, only.
Here is what I want: http://img821.imageshack.us/i/wantedq.png
and here is what I get: http://img826.imageshack.us/i/resulti.png

I use GPU-Z 0.52 to extract the bios once flashed.
But I also noticed that RBE 1.28 saves the bios with "Step function", but when I load the saved bios (rerun RBE), it has "Continous"...for Graph Type.

And too, whatever values I set into the look up table, I still get 47% for 41 C, values from original bios from XFX.

What am I doing wrong ? I know we can't change the clock, but the FAN are not properly working as well ? if so, what people do with RBE and 6850 cards ? change the bios version name, or the bios date/time only ? sorry I am confused and want to understand.

Thanks

This is only a visual style, a way of displaying the data. Date is actually always saved as step function.

4board

Ok thanks, but, we are still not able to modify FAN for a 6850 with RBE, is that right ? the driver still taking control of the fan settings ?

ecbr

Hi,

First of all, thanks for this tool, RBE.
Yesterday I edited the bios of my XFX 6850 and changed clocks and FANs, then flashed with latest atiflash 3.79.
All looks ok until the Windows bootscreen, then I got a blackscreen.
Before flashing I uninstalled the Catalyst and it booted fine. I checked with GPU-Z 0.48 and I saw that the clocks were ok, modified like I wanted.
But then I install the latest Catalyst 10.10e, rebooted, and got the black screen.
Do you know if it's a problem with RBE or the Catalyst ? or both ?

Thanks

I'm also having this same problem and have not seen anywhere in the solution of the problem. What we have to do to solve this problem?

naranhito82

System Name lga775
Processor Quad core Q6600 @3520
Motherboard P5Q-E
Cooling Termalright ultra 120
Memory 4x1g 555-15 1103 Corsair Dominator Performance=7
Video Card(s) Sapphire toxic 6850
Storage samsung 750 gb sata2
Display(s) acer s222
Case cooler master sniper black edition
Audio Device(s) realtek
Power Supply corsair hx 850w
Software W7X64 SP1 ultimate
Ok thanks, but, we are still not able to modify FAN for a 6850 with RBE, is that right ? the driver still taking control of the fan settings ?

I tried to modify the fan control and setting at 30% until 45º C when windows (of course the temp are low than 45º) is loading y hear a pretty little noise a until a little bit of time before desktop appears "when catalyst or driver are loading" the noise going on and in gpu-z shows 21%.

I think that the driver or catlyst override the bios fan control

There are some registry value to tune this?

naranhito82

System Name lga775
Processor Quad core Q6600 @3520
Motherboard P5Q-E
Cooling Termalright ultra 120
Memory 4x1g 555-15 1103 Corsair Dominator Performance=7
Video Card(s) Sapphire toxic 6850
Storage samsung 750 gb sata2
Display(s) acer s222
Case cooler master sniper black edition
Audio Device(s) realtek
Power Supply corsair hx 850w
Software W7X64 SP1 ultimate
I'm also having this same problem and have not seen anywhere in the solution of the problem. What we have to do to solve this problem?

I try to and the same happens when catalyst loads windows 7 x64 reboot but in safe mode you can get into os.

I tried to change the overdrive settings like i show here and result in a brick :banghead: