• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

2GB HD 6950 and FFXIV

Thassodar

System Name BNSAUCE
Processor AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition
Motherboard MSI 870-G45
Cooling Case fans, Zalman HSF
Memory 8GB (4x2GB) Corsair XMS3 1333 Mhz
Video Card(s) PowerColor ATi Radeon HD 6950 (Unlocked Shaders)
Storage Samsung 2TB 5400RPM, 1.5 TB Seagate 7200RPM, 500 GB WD Caviar Green
Display(s) AOC e2243Fw 21.5" Monitor
Power Supply Antec TruePower TP-650 650W
Software Windows 7 Pro 64-bit
So I, like an idiot, bought the Collectors Edition of Final Fantasy 14 months ago. Unfortunately the the game was a colossal dud. In response to the negative reactions SquareEnix decided to extend the free play period until the game is of sound quality. I used to play at 1680x1050 on my old GTS 450 with the settings fairly strenuous with little to no FPS problems. Once I upgraded to a 6950 last week I figured I could bump those settings up a notch...

And I was sorely wrong, although it may not be due to the card. I turned all the shadows, draw distance, etc. to max and turned the resolution to 1920x1080 (the native resolution of my monitor). I had the MSAA to 8x and Ambient Occlusion on, though apparently the Ambient Occlusion is buggy in FFXIV...

Anyways, long story short the game ran like certified doo doo. I was getting MAYBE 12 - 13 FPS (offhand guesstimate, I didn't have a FPS program running) and the lag was terrrrrrrible. The thing is the video card's fan did not speed up (as it usually does when playing Rift, Dead Space 2, etc.) even after letting the game sit for 15 or so minutes. It almost seems as if there is a disconnect between the game and the card, almost like the game isn't using the card nearly at all. I honestly expected better performance out of the 6950 (with the shaders unlocked as well!) so I updated to the latest 11.4 preview drivers but got the same results. :banghead:

So, any suggestions? I gave up after the 3rd or 4th attempt fiddling with the graphical settings mainly because you have to adjust the settings outside the game and log in each and every time you do. The funny thing is the advertisement page for the Vision Engine Control Center has FFXIV all over it but one of their top cards can't run it well :laugh:.

System Name Thought I'd be done with this by now
Processor i7 11700k 8/16
Motherboard MSI Z590 Pro Wifi
Cooling Be Quiet Dark Rock Pro 4, 9x aigo AR12
Memory 32GB GSkill TridentZ Neo DDR4-4000 CL18-22-22-42
Video Card(s) MSI Ventus 2x Geforce RTX 3070
Storage 1TB MX300 M.2 OS + Games, + cloud mostly
Display(s) Samsung 40" 4k (TV)
Case Lian Li PC-011 Dynamic EVO Black
Audio Device(s) onboard HD -> Yamaha 5.1
Power Supply EVGA 850 GQ
Mouse Logitech wireless
Keyboard same
VR HMD nah
Software Windows 10
Benchmark Scores no one cares anymore lols
So I, like an idiot, bought the Collectors Edition of Final Fantasy 14 months ago. Unfortunately the the game was a colossal dud. In response to the negative reactions SquareEnix decided to extend the free play period until the game is of sound quality. I used to play at 1680x1050 on my old GTS 450 with the settings fairly strenuous with little to no FPS problems. Once I upgraded to a 6950 last week I figured I could bump those settings up a notch...

And I was sorely wrong, although it may not be due to the card. I turned all the shadows, draw distance, etc. to max and turned the resolution to 1920x1080 (the native resolution of my monitor). I had the MSAA to 8x and Ambient Occlusion on, though apparently the Ambient Occlusion is buggy in FFXIV...

Anyways, long story short the game ran like certified doo doo. I was getting MAYBE 12 - 13 FPS (offhand guesstimate, I didn't have a FPS program running) and the lag was terrrrrrrible. The thing is the video card's fan did not speed up (as it usually does when playing Rift, Dead Space 2, etc.) even after letting the game sit for 15 or so minutes. It almost seems as if there is a disconnect between the game and the card, almost like the game isn't using the card nearly at all. I honestly expected better performance out of the 6950 (with the shaders unlocked as well!) so I updated to the latest 11.4 preview drivers but got the same results. :banghead:

So, any suggestions? I gave up after the 3rd or 4th attempt fiddling with the graphical settings mainly because you have to adjust the settings outside the game and log in each and every time you do. The funny thing is the advertisement page for the Vision Engine Control Center has FFXIV all over it but one of their top cards can't run it well :laugh:.

dunno much about the game but it sounds like you got overzealous with the details when you increased them, back off shadows and textures a bit.

Thassodar

System Name BNSAUCE
Processor AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition
Motherboard MSI 870-G45
Cooling Case fans, Zalman HSF
Memory 8GB (4x2GB) Corsair XMS3 1333 Mhz
Video Card(s) PowerColor ATi Radeon HD 6950 (Unlocked Shaders)
Storage Samsung 2TB 5400RPM, 1.5 TB Seagate 7200RPM, 500 GB WD Caviar Green
Display(s) AOC e2243Fw 21.5" Monitor
Power Supply Antec TruePower TP-650 650W
Software Windows 7 Pro 64-bit
Sooo I turned the 8xQ MSAA to 8x CSAA and now the game runs damn well. I have no idea what the Q means but apparently it put a bigger strain on my system/card. Crisis averted!

System Name Thought I'd be done with this by now
Processor i7 11700k 8/16
Motherboard MSI Z590 Pro Wifi
Cooling Be Quiet Dark Rock Pro 4, 9x aigo AR12
Memory 32GB GSkill TridentZ Neo DDR4-4000 CL18-22-22-42
Video Card(s) MSI Ventus 2x Geforce RTX 3070
Storage 1TB MX300 M.2 OS + Games, + cloud mostly
Display(s) Samsung 40" 4k (TV)
Case Lian Li PC-011 Dynamic EVO Black
Audio Device(s) onboard HD -> Yamaha 5.1
Power Supply EVGA 850 GQ
Mouse Logitech wireless
Keyboard same
VR HMD nah
Software Windows 10
Benchmark Scores no one cares anymore lols
Sooo I turned the 8xQ MSAA to 8x CSAA and now the game runs damn well. I have no idea what the Q means but apparently it put a bigger strain on my system/card. Crisis averted!

q stands for quality and it will certainly increase load. glad to see you've got it working.