• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Second Wave of Motherboard Price Hikes in May

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
Desktop motherboard prices are expected to increase industry-wide for the second time this year, in May. Earlier this year, motherboard vendors hiked prices citing escalating raw material and labor costs, by 5-10%. This time around, prices are influenced by upstream component shortages in the industry caused by the recent series of natural disasters that struck Japan, which produces high-grade electrical components for use on motherboards.

If not actual damage to manufacturing facilities, the disasters, and the resulting shutdown of nuclear power plants (which amount to a large part of Japan's power generation), is causing power shortages and reduced industrial output. Industry sources told DigiTimes that several raw materials and components are already seeing price fluctuations and prices should see a more obvious increase starting in April. To reflect the increasing costs, makers are set to raise motherboard prices in May. The sources predict retail increases in prices by 3-8% after May and companies will make adjustments every month based on costs.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

System Name Core i9 rig / Lenovo laptop
Processor Core i9 10900X / Core i5 8350U
Motherboard Asus Prime X299 Edition 30 / Lenovo motherboard
Cooling Corsair H115i PRO RGB / stock cooler
Memory Gskill 4x8GB 3600mhz / 16GB 2400mhz
Video Card(s) Asus ROG Strix RTX 2080 Super / UHD 620
Storage Samsung SSD 970 PRO 1TB / Samsung OEM 256GB NVMe
Display(s) Dell UltraSharp UP3017 / Full HD IPS touch
Case Coolermaster mastercase H500M
Audio Device(s) Onboard sound
Power Supply Enermax Platimax 1700 watt / Lenovo 65watt power adapter
Mouse Logitech M500s
Keyboard Cherry
Software Windows 11 Pro / Windows 11 Pro
Do NOT LIKE:(

Processor AMD Ryzen 5 2600
Motherboard MSI B450 Gaming Plus
Memory GSkill 8GB Dual Channel DDR4-2800
Video Card(s) MSI GamingX RX580 4GB
Storage Kingston V300 240GB SSD + WD Green 2TB
Display(s) ACER K212HL 27" + Haier 55" + Lenovo Explorer Mixed Reality Headset
Case Enermax Ostrog (Red)
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA B2 750W
Software Win10 64bit
3-8% isn't that bad. However, it makes you wonder if companies use disasters like this just to raise prices. I mean from the footage that I saw it was mostly just small villages that took the brunt of the trouble.

bear jesus

System Name Gaming temp// HTPC
Processor AMD A6 5400k // A4 5300
Motherboard ASRock FM2A75 PRO4// ASRock FM2A55M-DGS
Cooling Xigmatek HDT-D1284 // stock phenom II HSF
Memory 4GB 1600mhz corsair vengeance // 4GB 1600mhz corsair vengeance low profile
Storage 64gb sandisk pulse SSD and 500gb HDD // 500gb HDD
Display(s) acer 22" 1680x1050
Power Supply Seasonic G-450 // Corsair CXM 430W
Kind of sucks for brits as we had VAT upped by 2.5% then mobos up 5-10% and it will be another 3-8% probably right before bulldozer is released, so anywhere up to 20.5% price increase in less than 6 months an right around when i might want to upgrade (if bulldozer is worth it):(

trickson

OH, I have such a headache
System Name Ryzen TUF.
Processor AMD Ryzen7 3700X
Motherboard Asus TUF X570 Gaming Plus
Cooling Noctua
Memory Gskill RipJaws 3466MHz
Video Card(s) Asus TUF 1650 Super Clocked.
Storage CB 1T M.2 Drive.
Display(s) 73" Soney 4K.
Case Antech LanAir Pro.
Audio Device(s) Denon AVR-S750H
Power Supply Corsair TX750
Mouse Optical
Keyboard K120 Logitech
Software Windows 10 64 bit Home OEM
This is one reason why we need to start making things RIGHT HERE AT HOME ! We have outsourced just about every thing we have to Japan , China and other UNSTABLE countries ! What we need to do is get them job's and industries back and stop relying on other countries for every thing we can make right here in the USA ! This would not be an issue if we made them here and prices would be even lower for every one !

kirtar

This is one reason why we need to start making things RIGHT HERE AT HOME ! We have outsourced just about every thing we have to Japan , China and other UNSTABLE countries ! What we need to do is get them job's and industries back and stop relying on other countries for every thing we can make right here in the USA ! This would not be an issue if we made them here and prices would be even lower for every one !

I don't think you quite get why companies outsource. There's no way in hell they'd do it if it was more expensive. Moreover, the capital investment for some of necessary facilities is fairly substantial, so they wouldn't do it if they didn't think it would pay off. As for getting parts from other companies (which is probably true in several cases), fwiw Japanese products are usually very high quality.

I also wouldn't call Japan unstable. They have a large economy for the land resources that they have.

System Name 192.168.1.1~192.168.1.100
Processor AMD Ryzen5 5600G.
Motherboard Gigabyte B550m DS3H.
Cooling AMD Wraith Stealth.
Memory 16GB Crucial DDR4.
Video Card(s) Gigabyte GTX 1080 OC (Underclocked, underpowered).
Storage Samsung 980 NVME 500GB && Assortment of SSDs.
Display(s) LG 24MK430 primary && Samsung S24D590 secondary
Case Corsair Graphite 780T.
Audio Device(s) On-Board.
Power Supply SeaSonic CORE GM-650.
Mouse Coolermaster MM530.
Keyboard Kingston HyperX Alloy FPS.
VR HMD A pair of OP spectacles.
Software Ubuntu 22.04 LTS.
Benchmark Scores Me no know English. What bench mean? Bench like one sit on?

I'm not an expert, but with the current state of economy you have over there ? doubt that would be happening soon..

although there might be chance if the Chinese pushed an effective minimum wages law into action (Not happening anytime soon either :rolleyes: )

Last edited:

kirtar

although there might be chance if the Chinese pushed an effective minimum wages law into action (Not happening anytime soon either :rolleyes: )

That, or if the exchange rate went up (i.e. the Chinese Yuan went up in value)

trickson

System Name Ryzen TUF.
Cooling Noctua
Storage CB 1T M.2 Drive.
Display(s) 73" Soney 4K.
Case Antech LanAir Pro.
Mouse Optical
Keyboard K120 Logitech
I don't think you quite get why companies outsource. There's no way in hell they'd do it if it was more expensive. Moreover, the capital investment for some of necessary facilities is fairly substantial, so they wouldn't do it if they didn't think it would pay off. As for getting parts from other companies (which is probably true in several cases), fwiw Japanese products are usually very high quality.

I also wouldn't call Japan unstable. They have a large economy for the land resources that they have.

Yeah I probably should not have made this a political thing . And I do not wish to get into it like that . But there was a time when WE here in the USA made 90% of our own things and NOW it is like 5% !
We have given tax incentive to companies to go over seas and cut our own production and jobs . Intel is still based in the USA and this is one reason why I will buy from them first ! I think Japan is UNSTABLE ( Nuke plants off line and about to melt down , Huge wall of water taking out plants people and every thing in its wake , Earth shaking and destroying buildings !) Just look at what we all have to go through NOW 90% of car parts ( were made here at one time ) Now made in Japan are no longer flowing out from there country .
Now we have to close the car making plants because there is a shortage of parts . Again once we used to make them all right here in the USA , No longer and we are feeling this in a huge way . So yes we should be looking at ways to bring this stuff back to the USA and stop outsourcing every thing we all want and enjoy just because it looks cheaper on paper ! Because now we are paying a BIG price for this .

This is just my view on things , Right or wrong I feel this way . I do not mean to offend any one in any way . If I have or do I am truly sorry .

Last edited:

AsRock

TPU addict
Processor AMD 3900X \ AMD 7700X
Motherboard ASRock AM4 X570 Pro 4 \ ASUS X670Xe TUF
Cooling D15
Memory Patriot 2x16GB PVS432G320C6K \ G.Skill Flare X5 F5-6000J3238F 2x16GB
Video Card(s) eVga GTX1060 SSC \ XFX RX 6950XT RX-695XATBD9
Storage Sammy 860, MX500, Sabrent Rocket 4 Sammy Evo 980 \ 1xSabrent Rocket 4+, Sammy 2x990 Pro
Display(s) Samsung 1080P \ LG 43UN700
Case Fractal Design Pop Air 2x140mm fans from Torrent \ Fractal Design Torrent 2 SilverStone FHP141x2
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V677 \ Yamaha CX-830+Yamaha MX-630 Infinity RS4000\Paradigm P Studio 20, Blue Yeti
Power Supply Seasonic Prime TX-750 \ Corsair RM1000X Shift
Mouse Steelseries Sensei wireless \ Steelseries Sensei wireless
Keyboard Logitech K120 \ Wooting Two HE
Benchmark Scores Meh benchmarks.
What gets me is that they don't lower after every thing is resolved and makes me think about the government as they do the same shit.

trickson

System Name Ryzen TUF.
Cooling Noctua
Storage CB 1T M.2 Drive.
Display(s) 73" Soney 4K.
Case Antech LanAir Pro.
Mouse Optical
Keyboard K120 Logitech
What gets me is that they don't lower after every thing is resolved and makes me think about the government as they do the same shit.

No they do not . They use things like this as an excuse to jack up prices and pinch us for more cash , Even though there is no real reason at all for the price hick ! What they SHOULD do is LOWER the prices even further and get us back into the buying mode !

System Name My pc
Processor Ryzen 5 3600
Motherboard Asus Rog b450-f
Cooling Cooler master 120mm aio
Memory 16gb ddr4 3200mhz
Video Card(s) MSI Ventus 3x 3070
Storage 2tb intel nvme and 2tb generic ssd
Display(s) Generic dell 1080p overclocked to 75hz
Case Phanteks enthoo
Power Supply 650w of borderline fire hazard
Mouse Some wierd Chinese vertical mouse
Keyboard Generic mechanical keyboard
Software Windows ten
Considering the vast majority of stuff gets build in china I feel this is taking advantage too.

Last edited:

trickson

System Name Ryzen TUF.
Cooling Noctua
Storage CB 1T M.2 Drive.
Display(s) 73" Soney 4K.
Case Antech LanAir Pro.
Mouse Optical
Keyboard K120 Logitech
Considering the fast majority of stuff gets build in china if feel this is taking advantage too.

Yep exploit it and make billions off of it ! See this is why I hate every thing being made over seas ! We have lots of natural disasters going on here in the USA but seldom do you see us taking advantage over them .Well with every thing being made over seas we have little to nothing to really exploit any way LOL .

AsRock

TPU addict
Processor AMD 3900X \ AMD 7700X
Motherboard ASRock AM4 X570 Pro 4 \ ASUS X670Xe TUF
Cooling D15
Memory Patriot 2x16GB PVS432G320C6K \ G.Skill Flare X5 F5-6000J3238F 2x16GB
Video Card(s) eVga GTX1060 SSC \ XFX RX 6950XT RX-695XATBD9
Storage Sammy 860, MX500, Sabrent Rocket 4 Sammy Evo 980 \ 1xSabrent Rocket 4+, Sammy 2x990 Pro
Display(s) Samsung 1080P \ LG 43UN700
Case Fractal Design Pop Air 2x140mm fans from Torrent \ Fractal Design Torrent 2 SilverStone FHP141x2
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V677 \ Yamaha CX-830+Yamaha MX-630 Infinity RS4000\Paradigm P Studio 20, Blue Yeti
Power Supply Seasonic Prime TX-750 \ Corsair RM1000X Shift
Mouse Steelseries Sensei wireless \ Steelseries Sensei wireless
Keyboard Logitech K120 \ Wooting Two HE
Benchmark Scores Meh benchmarks.
Yep exploit it and make billions off of it ! See this is why I hate every thing being made over seas ! We have lots of natural disasters going on here in the USA but seldom do you see us taking advantage over them .Well with every thing being made over seas we have little to nothing to really exploit any way LOL .

I don't mind them hiking the prices but FFS lower them after every things settled down..

It's one reason the UK \ USA is so fucked up but no we just jump on some one else's business and go further in to dept but thats another story i guess lol.

Spectrum

LOL NO! prices would NOT be lower. chinese people work for 10% what you earn a month... if british or americans (british especially) were forced to make motherboards 10 hours a day for 10% of your average wage.. there would be huge strikes.

That's the reason companies outsource hardware... so so much cheaper.

Spectrum

somebody hates all their clothes and electrical devices...

TheMailMan78

Big Member
System Name TheMailbox 5.0 / The Mailbox 4.5
Processor RYZEN 1700X / Intel i7 2600k @ 4.2GHz
Motherboard Fatal1ty X370 Gaming K4 / Gigabyte Z77X-UP5 TH Intel LGA 1155
Cooling MasterLiquid PRO 280 / Scythe Katana 4
Memory ADATA RGB 16GB DDR4 2666 16-16-16-39 / G.SKILL Sniper Series 16GB DDR3 1866: 9-9-9-24
Video Card(s) MSI 1080 "Duke" with 8Gb of RAM. Boost Clock 1847 MHz / ASUS 780ti
Storage 256Gb M4 SSD / 128Gb Agelity 4 SSD , 500Gb WD (7200)
Display(s) LG 29" Class 21:9 UltraWide® IPS LED Monitor 2560 x 1080 / Dell 27"
Case Cooler Master MASTERBOX 5t / Cooler Master 922 HAF
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1220 Audio Codec / SupremeFX X-Fi with Bose Companion 2 speakers.
Power Supply Seasonic FOCUS Plus Series SSR-750PX 750W Platinum / SeaSonic X Series X650 Gold
Mouse SteelSeries Sensei (RAW) / Logitech G5
Keyboard Razer BlackWidow / Logitech (Unknown)
Software Windows 10 Pro (64-bit)
Benchmark Scores Benching is for bitches.
Desktop motherboard prices are expected to increase industry-wide for the second time this year, in May. Earlier this year, motherboard vendors hiked prices citing escalating raw material and labor costs, by 5-10%. This time around, prices are influenced by upstream component shortages in the industry caused by the recent series of natural disasters that struck Japan, which produces high-grade electrical components for use on motherboards.

If not actual damage to manufacturing facilities, the disasters, and the resulting shutdown of nuclear power plants (which amount to a large part of Japan's power generation), is causing power shortages and reduced industrial output. Industry sources told DigiTimes that several raw materials and components are already seeing price fluctuations and prices should see a more obvious increase starting in April. To reflect the increasing costs, makers are set to raise motherboard prices in May. The sources predict retail increases in prices by 3-8% after May and companies will make adjustments every month based on costs.

Source: DigiTimes
I expect them to be higher soon. Its just a fact of life that inflation is here and is only going to get worse.

somebody hates all their clothes and electrical devices...
And when they do bring work home to the states they make damn sure its not in Union states.

Thassodar

System Name BNSAUCE
Processor AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition
Motherboard MSI 870-G45
Cooling Case fans, Zalman HSF
Memory 8GB (4x2GB) Corsair XMS3 1333 Mhz
Video Card(s) PowerColor ATi Radeon HD 6950 (Unlocked Shaders)
Storage Samsung 2TB 5400RPM, 1.5 TB Seagate 7200RPM, 500 GB WD Caviar Green
Display(s) AOC e2243Fw 21.5" Monitor
Power Supply Antec TruePower TP-650 650W
Software Windows 7 Pro 64-bit

I was waiting for you to yell

THEY TOOK OUR JERBS!

:roll:

Have a sh*t system? Upgrade ASAP!

Have a nice system? Keep it as long as possible :wtf:

HTC

System Name HTC's System
Processor Ryzen 5 2600X
Motherboard Asrock Taichi X370
Cooling NH-C14, with the AM4 mounting kit
Memory G.Skill Kit 16GB DDR4 F4 - 3200 C16D - 16 GTZB
Video Card(s) Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 480 OC 4 GB
Storage 1 Samsung NVMe 960 EVO 250 GB + 1 3.5" Seagate IronWolf Pro 6TB 7200RPM 256MB SATA III
Display(s) LG 27UD58
Case Fractal Design Define R6 USB-C
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Corsair TX 850M 80+ Gold
Mouse Razer Deathadder Elite
Software Ubuntu 19.04 LTS

Exactly.

Look @ gas prices, for example: when crude barrel was @ nearly $150, "we had to raise the prices because crude barrel was so expensive" and when crude prices started falling, " but the gas you get to buy now was made from crude bought 90 days ago".

Funny how now, "crude prices went up today so we have to raise gas prices": what happened to the 90 days ago thing?

Long story short: they take every little excuse, valid or not, to hike prices but refuse to lower prices after.

System Name Vegnagun
Processor Ryzen 5950x
Motherboard Asus B550 Gaming-E
Cooling Noctua NH-U14
Memory 4x8 G. Skill 3800mhz CL14
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3
Storage WD SN850 2tb
Display(s) Viotek 1080p 120hz
Case Fractal Design Define 7
Power Supply Corsair AX850
Mouse Logitech
Keyboard Logitech 815 tactile
Software Windows 10 Education
Benchmark Scores top 1% in the world for weekly score in Killzone 2 :)
Long story short: they take every little excuse, valid or not, to hike prices but refuse to lower prices after.

That's true with gas prices because it's so heavily monopolized/relied upon by a lot of people from very few people who supply it.

It's not as necessary for people to have a new motherboard as it is gasoline to drive to work to make the money to buy the motherboard. I think this is just a standard supply and demand curve at work--- supply down, demand same, price up. Once Japan is resettled (and btw, it was more than small villages that got hit. over 100k children alone are now homeless from it http://www.worldnewsco.com/4421/100000-japanese-children-displaced-tsunami/ so I'd say conservative this has pushed out over a quarter million people. Not to mention the radiation that is spreading from the power plant), anywho. Once Japan is resettled or other countries pick up production, I think competition to get more sales will drive the price back down to close to pre-tsunami prices.

HTC

System Name HTC's System
Processor Ryzen 5 2600X
Motherboard Asrock Taichi X370
Cooling NH-C14, with the AM4 mounting kit
Memory G.Skill Kit 16GB DDR4 F4 - 3200 C16D - 16 GTZB
Video Card(s) Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 480 OC 4 GB
Storage 1 Samsung NVMe 960 EVO 250 GB + 1 3.5" Seagate IronWolf Pro 6TB 7200RPM 256MB SATA III
Display(s) LG 27UD58
Case Fractal Design Define R6 USB-C
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Corsair TX 850M 80+ Gold
Mouse Razer Deathadder Elite
Software Ubuntu 19.04 LTS
That's true with gas prices because it's so heavily monopolized/relied upon by a lot of people from very few people who supply it.

Actually, that's true with just about everything.

shlesscamp

System Name homepc
Processor Phenom II 940
Motherboard Foxconn
Cooling stock
Memory 4GB DDR2
Video Card(s) GTS 250
Storage 1TB 7,200rpm
Display(s) Acer 22"
Case Antec 900
Audio Device(s) Auzentech Prelude
Power Supply OCZ StealthXTreme 2 600
Software Win7 home premium
this sucks but it's just the way it has to be. someone has to pay for disasters like this