• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Call Of Duty : Black Ops (official thread)

System Name White Theme
Processor Intel 12700K CPU
Motherboard ASUS STRIX Z690-A D4
Cooling Lian Li Galahad Uni w/ AL120 Fans
Memory 32GB DDR4-3200 Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Aero 4080 Super 16GB
Storage 2TB Samsung 980 Pro PCIE 4.0
Display(s) Alienware 38" 3840x1600 (165Hz)
Case Lian Li O11 Dynamic EVO White
Audio Device(s) 2i2 Scarlett Solo + Schiit Magni 3 AMP
Power Supply Corsair HX 1000 Platinum
anyone know whether the map packs are worth getting, especially the zombie one? I'm really disliking having to pay for maps.

System Name Hector v1.0
Processor Intel Core i7 920 2.67GHz @ 4.209GHz
Motherboard Rampage II Extreme
Cooling Corsair H100
Memory 12GB Corsair XMS3 1600MHz
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 580 Vanilla under an Arctic Cooling Xtreme Plus
Storage 2x 1TB Samsung 7200 RPM RAID0 + 2x 60GB OCZ Vertex 2 RAID0
Display(s) Acer GD245HQ
Case HAF932
Audio Device(s) Creative Titanium Fatal1ty Champion Series
Power Supply Coolermaster 1000W Real Power M Active PSU
Software Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
Benchmark Scores 3DMark11 P6115 http://3dmark.com/3dm11/525931
and name a single game that wasnt pirated at all because it had no LAN play? stupid argument.

Not entirely. Having to connect to steam to play the game just adds one more hurdle to the pirates game. Also, keeping all the dedi files out of reach, keeps a degree of hackers at bay. Not all, but it helps.

Also...your are supposed to be dead. I do not know how many of us here believe is "resurrection" :p

anyone know whether the map packs are worth getting, especially the zombie one? I'm really disliking having to pay for maps.

Wait a couple of months, they will half the price...get them then. :)

Wile E

Power User
System Name The ClusterF**k
Processor 980X @ 4Ghz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5 BIOS F12
Cooling MCR-320, DDC-1 pump w/Bitspower res top (1/2" fittings), Koolance CPU-360
Memory 3x2GB Mushkin Redlines 1600Mhz 6-8-6-24 1T
Video Card(s) Evga GTX 580
Storage Corsair Neutron GTX 240GB, 2xSeagate 320GB RAID0; 2xSeagate 3TB; 2xSamsung 2TB; Samsung 1.5TB
Display(s) HP LP2475w 24" 1920x1200 IPS
Case Technofront Bench Station
Audio Device(s) Auzentech X-Fi Forte into Onkyo SR606 and Polk TSi200's + RM6750
Power Supply ENERMAX Galaxy EVO EGX1250EWT 1250W
Software Win7 Ultimate N x64, OSX 10.8.4
Not entirely. Having to connect to steam to play the game just adds one more hurdle to the pirates game. Also, keeping all the dedi files out of reach, keeps a degree of hackers at bay. Not all, but it helps.
I didn't quote your other post about balance, but COD4 meets all the same requirements but is actually harder to play, and COD2 didn't have perks and other stuff, so it was balanced by nature. That makes them both better balanced imo, without even mentioning that they were just better games in general.

Now, about the quoted post: Adding extra DRM or requiring a connection to the internet for local multiplayer hurts legitimate users a hell of a lot more than it hurts pirates. Pirates still get the game, and we still suffer thru the BS.

And it does absolutely nothing to deter hackers. Zero effect on it whatsoever. First off, if you are LANing, you are face to face with your competitors, there's no way to cheat without getting caught. Secondly, it hasn't even deterred cheats in online play.

Just go to aimjunkies.com for confirmation of that. We figured that out running our BC2 server, and somebody coming in, raping the hell out of everyone on our server, then actually spamming the url in the chat box. Needless to say he was permabanned, but the point remains. Requiring an online connection only hurts legit users.

And that brings me to my last point as to why COD4 is superior in every way. Didn't have to pay for the map packs. With BO, not only did you have to pay more money for the initial game, but you now have to pay extra money for every little addition, like weapons and maps. So by the end, you'll have what, $100 tied into this game? Whereas somebody that bought CoD4 on launch paid $50 total, for the samew amount of content, plus more flexibility.

Sorry, but Black Ops is a piece of trash. I actually rate it lower than MW2. Even the SP sucks. At least MW2 had that going for it.

Last edited: