• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Garry’s Mod catches pirates the fun way

Kreij

Senior Monkey Moderator
What I find particularly interesting here is that he says he "recently activated" this scheme in the commercial version to weed out the pirates.
This would indicate that the code was there all along, but some (on Steam?) check was previously returning a "all is well" response and since "activation" it is not anymore.
If it's a check against valid Steam purchases in accounts, then Valve gave their blessings for it to occur.

It seems to me that it would be a lot less troublesome to simply spit out an error like "Pirated version detected. KThxBye" and then nuke the game code.
No added support effort (like banning forum accounts or whatever) as no one in their right mind with a pirated copy is going to post that on a forum as a "problem".
Of course there are always a few who might post "I pirated the game and it says I'm a pirate, how do I fix that?"
In that case you do ban the user as there is no fix for stupid.

Just the ramblings of yer old Uncle Kreij.

System Name i7-PC / HTPC / iMac
Processor i7 3820 / Phenom II 940
Motherboard GIGABYTE G1.ASSASSIN2 / M3A79-T Deluxe
Cooling Corsair Hydro H100i / Scythe II (HS only)
Memory G.SKILL Trident X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3 1600mhz / 4GB DDR2 1066 (@800) Corsair Dominator
Video Card(s) GB Radeon HD 7950s 3GB / GB Radeon HD 7950s 3GB
Storage 2x 80GB Intel X-25, 2x600gb SATA, 1x1tb 5400RPM storage /1x600GB, 3x500GB,1x160,1x120 SATA
Display(s) 1x 27" Yamakasi / Vizio 42" HDTV
Case Lian Li Lancool PC-K58 / Antec 900
Audio Device(s) HT Omega Striker 7.1 / Onboard and HDMI from ATi Card
Power Supply PC Power & Cooling 750W / 610W
Software Ubuntu / Windows 8.1 Pro / OS X / PHPStorm / Gaming
so let me get this right this world famouse garys mod is essentially a lego set with no pics few instructions,goals or (some would say) point and a bonus big finger from the boss, sounds fun:laugh::roll:

that was probably THE worst summation i have ever read.

It seems to me that it would be a lot less troublesome to simply spit out an error like "Pirated version detected. KThxBye" and then nuke the game code.
No added support effort (like banning forum accounts or whatever) as no one in their right mind with a pirated copy is going to post that on a forum as a "problem".
Of course there are always a few who might post "I pirated the game and it says I'm a pirate, how do I fix that?"
In that case you do ban the user as there is no fix for stupid.

then a lot less people fall for it, and they can cull a lot less accounts.

I am betting the code was there, but it took time for Valve to say "ok, use it" or for garry to feel the need.

Kreij

Senior Monkey Moderator
then a lot less people fall for it, and they can cull a lot less accounts.

While this is true, if it were my game, I would not want to make it impossible for the people who (initially) pirate it to ever get a legit version.
The best idea, IMO, is to disable the pirated copies and show people why the software is a good value if you buy it.
If you can't convince them, then either it is not a good value or they wouldn't ever buy it anyway, and you still lose nothing as the bootleg copies are dead in the water.

Forum support is not that expensive as moderators are a dime a dozen and ... oh wait. :wtf:

System Name i7-PC / HTPC / iMac
Processor i7 3820 / Phenom II 940
Motherboard GIGABYTE G1.ASSASSIN2 / M3A79-T Deluxe
Cooling Corsair Hydro H100i / Scythe II (HS only)
Memory G.SKILL Trident X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3 1600mhz / 4GB DDR2 1066 (@800) Corsair Dominator
Video Card(s) GB Radeon HD 7950s 3GB / GB Radeon HD 7950s 3GB
Storage 2x 80GB Intel X-25, 2x600gb SATA, 1x1tb 5400RPM storage /1x600GB, 3x500GB,1x160,1x120 SATA
Display(s) 1x 27" Yamakasi / Vizio 42" HDTV
Case Lian Li Lancool PC-K58 / Antec 900
Audio Device(s) HT Omega Striker 7.1 / Onboard and HDMI from ATi Card
Power Supply PC Power & Cooling 750W / 610W
Software Ubuntu / Windows 8.1 Pro / OS X / PHPStorm / Gaming
While this is true, if it were my game, I would not want to make it impossible for the people who (initially) pirate it to ever get a legit version.
The best idea, IMO, is to disable the pirated copies and show people why the software is a good value if you buy it.
If you can't convince them, then either it is not a good value or they wouldn't ever buy it anyway, and you still lose nothing as the bootleg copies are dead in the water.

Forum support is not that expensive as moderators are a dime a dozen and ... oh wait. :wtf:

agreed ... except the moderator part, you guys are special :)

Kreij

Senior Monkey Moderator
agreed ... except the moderator part, you guys are special :)

Yeah ... like special olympics. :rolleyes: :laugh:

Anyway, I'm a firm believer that a dev can do what they want with their code.
If people like it or don't like it, vote with your wallet.

System Name ALIENWARE R8
Processor INTEL I5 9500 @3.9Ghz
Motherboard ALIENWARE 02XRCM
Cooling ALIENWAR Liqid Cooler
Memory DDR4 16GB @2.8Ghz
Video Card(s) NVIDIA GForce RTX 2070 8GB
Storage 512 MB M.2, KINGSTON 480 GB SSD,SEAGATE 3 TB
Display(s) VIZIO E-241 25" TV
Case ALIENWARE R8
Power Supply 850 WATTS
Mouse ROSWILL NEON M60
Keyboard ALIENWARE
Software WIN 10
The TOS seem to disagree.

They say that you are RENTING the software from Valve / whatever company actually owns it. This is pretty common with software. The TOS are made to be clever like that.

and this is the main problem I have with software and the TOS/EULA.... The very concept of RENTING software.. I think not.. When i see fit to pay for something, I buy it.. NOT rent it..

The companies have lost their damn mind.... fuck 'em

Kreij

Senior Monkey Moderator
and this is the main problem I have with software and the TOS/EULA.... The very concept of RENTING software.. I think not.. When i see fit to pay for something, I buy it.. NOT rent it..

No, you don't buy it, you buy a license to use it.
All software (other than open source) is distributed in that manner.

It's not whether you like it or not, it's reality.
If you do not want to pay for a license and you do not want to steal the software you will have to do with all open source code.
That is fine, but it leaves a lot to be desired.

Last edited:
System Name Gaming System / HTPC-Server
Processor i7 8700K (@4.8 Ghz All-Core) / R7 5900X
Motherboard Z370 Aorus Ultra Gaming / MSI B450 Mortar Max
Cooling CM ML360 / CM ML240L
Memory 16Gb Hynix @3200 MHz / 16Gb Hynix @3000Mhz
Video Card(s) Zotac 3080 / Colorful 1060
Storage 750G MX300 + 2x500G NVMe / 40Tb Reds + 1Tb WD Blue NVMe
Display(s) LG 27GN800-B 27'' 2K 144Hz / Sony TV
Case Xigmatek Aquarius Plus / Corsair Air 240
Audio Device(s) On Board Realtek
Power Supply Super Flower Leadex III Gold 750W / Andyson TX-700 Platinum
Mouse Logitech G502 Hero / K400+
Keyboard Wooting Two / K400+
Software Windows 10 x64
Benchmark Scores Cinebench R15 = 1542 3D Mark Timespy = 9758
i'm sorry, but i was specifically trying to AVOID a "piracy is bad" discussion.

when you make a comment such as:
"piracy HELPED sales" without a disclaimer, it sounds as though you are ADVOCATING piracy. it HELPED. you shed POSITIVE light on it, and listed a PRO.

i only mentioned that that didn't make them good. so you named the pro, i mentioned it - and you tell me to back off the pros and cons?all i did was add the disclaimer.

i would recommend spending more time moderating your logical processes and less time moderating others on this forum. thanks.

thank you!

The comment wasn't aimed directly at you, nor was i trying to moderate what you were saying :/ it was a general comment saying 'we' (being the operative word - as in Let's - let us') shouldn't continue talking about the topic.
You will also notice i agreed with you at the start of my post - "no one is saying they are" - pirates are not necessarily good.

Kreij

Senior Monkey Moderator
Relax gents. It's almost impossible to have a thread about an anti-piracy measure without bringing up how people feel about piracy.
That being said, this is about the method used.
Comment on that please.

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
System Name Quantumville™
Processor Intel Core i7-2700K @ 4GHz
Motherboard Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Memory 16GB (2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Black DDR3 PC3-12800 C9 1600MHz)
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2080 SUPER Gaming X Trio
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB | WD Black 4TB | WD Blue 6TB
Display(s) ASUS ROG Strix XG27UQR (4K, 144Hz, G-SYNC compatible) | Asus MG28UQ (4K, 60Hz, FreeSync compatible)
Case Cooler Master HAF 922
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Fatal1ty PCIe
Power Supply Corsair AX1600i
Mouse Microsoft Intellimouse Pro - Black Shadow
Keyboard Yes
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
If the developer has pulled this off without inconveniencing legitimate clients, I fully agree with the measure and would hope to see it extended to revocation of the entire Steam account: I can't really see any justification for failing to support an Indie developer who seems to be asking a fair price.

Moreover, I would like to see this used as evidence of the ability to pursue piracy through Steam and only through Steam, which adds weight to arguments in favour of a global ban on third-party DRM on Steam. I am not arguing that Valve is somehow expected to impose this on developers wishing to use their platform, but surely they could evidence a bit of common sense and talk things out?

That aside, what on earth is this game? What exactly is a a "Sandbox Physics game for the Source Engine...With no predefined goals...?" This has been on my list of things I wish to have explained to me for quite some time.

It wouldn't be right to ban the entire Steam account if there's any paid for games on there. How can that be justified? Those other games are all legally paid for. A pirated game cannot be registered on Steam anyway, so the point is moot. But then that article I quoted suggests that the pirated game was somehow registered, so I'm confused on this one. :confused:

This "sandbox" is a toolset where you can use all the objects in the Half-Life universe and make them interact in any way you want. Comedy is often the goal and can be hilarious. :) Just YouTube Garry's Mod for some examples, if you'd like to see.

I don't think Steam could ban a user for pirating a game. It would not make sense that they take away paid products from you because you pirated another product. In fact, at least in my country, this would not be legal.

Exactly, +1. All they can do is remove the offending game. The rest are your legally licenced copies.

I think the way steam works is you are actually buying a license to play the game you dont actually own it.

http://store.steampowered.com/subscriber_agreement/
Scroll down to section 2. Licenses

Yes, correct. :) Thanks for making the relevant bit easy to find.

Awesome! Easily the best post yet. :respect:

Think about it. If you disable the pirate copy, but don't alienate the pirates, they will respect you and sing your praises to their friends and on forums, instead of calling you a dick and making you look bad at every opportunity.

This will increase positive publicity and might make some of the pirates actually purchase it. If they don't want to pay, then you've lost no revenue anyway. It willl certainly increase sales of people who would pay though, because they may not have heard about the game otherwise. In short, not crapping on pirates (man I hate that word :mad: ) reaps benefits on both sides.

www.techdirt.com explains all this stuff in great detail and much better than I can.

The way it is now, it makes honest people like me wary of what booby traps are in there that could go off inadvertently and get me banned or penalized in some way. A big disincentive to buy, I tell you. :shadedshu

Actually, you lot come free and in blue, green and red! lol. ;) And you're all fantastic on TPU. :cool:

If you do not want to pay for a license and you do not want to steal the software you will have to do with all open source code.

It's a real shame that the open source development model generally produces software that is second rate to proprietary code. :( We wouldn't have to put up with restrictive licences and DRM if these products were of the same standard as proprietary.

What about Firefox! people may cry. Yes, that's mostly open source, but there's big bucks behind it and a dedicated developement team. It's not just hordes of bedroom coders all clubbing together over the internet to produce polished, professional code.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kreij

Senior Monkey Moderator
Some open source software is as polished or more than some retail software.
The problem is that if you ONLY want open source you are left with a plethora of decent programs that are not fully integrated with each other (as with retail products) and have to deal with the results.

In my opinion, the retail programs outshine the open source not because of lack of innovation or features, but do to that fact that they do not all integrate seamlessly.
This will most likely never happen as there will never be an open source "overseer" to set standards for the code.
That is the beauty and also the problem with open source software.

System Name [Daily Driver]
Processor [Ryzen 7 5800X3D]
Motherboard [Asus TUF GAMING X570-PLUS]
Cooling [be quiet! Dark Rock Slim]
Memory [64GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3600MHz (16GBx4)]
Video Card(s) [PNY RTX 3070Ti XLR8]
Storage [1TB SN850 NVMe, 4TB 990 Pro NVMe, 2TB 870 EVO SSD, 2TB SA510 SSD]
Display(s) [2x 27" HP X27q at 1440p]
Case [Fractal Meshify-C]
Audio Device(s) [Steelseries Arctis Pro]
Power Supply [CORSAIR RMx 1000]
Mouse [Logitech G Pro Wireless]
Keyboard [Logitech G512 Carbon (GX-Brown)]
Software [Windows 11 64-Bit]
meh OFP and arma's fade protection is better... you turn into a bird in multiplayer and your weapons are stupidly innacurate

System Name ALIENWARE R8
Memory DDR4 16GB @2.8Ghz
Case ALIENWARE R8
Power Supply 850 WATTS
Mouse ROSWILL NEON M60
Keyboard ALIENWARE
Software WIN 10

in an answer .. NO.. i think not.. its wrong that you pay for something but actually dont really own it...i might not own the rights to the code but i down the physical product

i see no different in buying music equipment,a car, or software.. if i buy it.. i own it...or i'll aquire it by other means..

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
System Name Quantumville™
Processor Intel Core i7-2700K @ 4GHz
Motherboard Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Memory 16GB (2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Black DDR3 PC3-12800 C9 1600MHz)
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2080 SUPER Gaming X Trio
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB | WD Black 4TB | WD Blue 6TB
Display(s) ASUS ROG Strix XG27UQR (4K, 144Hz, G-SYNC compatible) | Asus MG28UQ (4K, 60Hz, FreeSync compatible)
Case Cooler Master HAF 922
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Fatal1ty PCIe
Power Supply Corsair AX1600i
Mouse Microsoft Intellimouse Pro - Black Shadow
Keyboard Yes
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Some open source software is as polished or more than some retail software.
The problem is that if you ONLY want open source you are left with a plethora of decent programs that are not fully integrated with each other (as with retail products) and have to deal with the results.

In my opinion, the retail programs outshine the open source not because of lack of innovation or features, but do to that fact that they do not all integrate seamlessly.
This will most likely never happen as there will never be an open source "overseer" to set standards for the code.
That is the beauty and also the problem with open source software.
Of course, some open source is indeed very polished - take a mainstream Linux distro, for example, or Firefox as I mentioned.

But I read an article about this problem a few years ago, which echoed my own experience of writing software 20 years ago (oh shit, I've just seriously dated myself. :eek: :laugh: )

Writing the first 80-90% isn't that hard (usually). It's properly debugging, polishing and fine tuning that last bit which makes the project take several times longer and a helluva lot more effort to finish. Therefore, an open source coder working for free will tend to lose motivation and interest to do this last bit properly and you find lots of half-baked stuff out there with irritating and possibly show-stopping bugs.

Only in a few cases will real quality open source software shine through and I think you'll find that it's all got big money behind it somewhere along the way. OpenOffice is another example of a well funded open source project.

streetfighter 2

that was probably without a doubt THE worst summation i have ever read.
FTFY

It's a real shame that the open source development model generally produces software that is second rate to proprietary code.
Take it back!! Take it back!! :mad:

J/K :D
We wouldn't have to put up with restrictive licences and DRM if these products were of the same standard as proprietary.
We often don't. When you buy software you're really paying for the support. Most open source software offers only community support, or none at all. Or in the case of big ticket engineering software from Autodesk, Synopsys, Cadence, etc., it's so absurdly expensive to develop that they can only afford to market it to large companies (with $50,000+ individual licenses).

Kreij

Senior Monkey Moderator
in an answer .. NO.. i think not.. its wrong that you pay for something but actually dont really own it...i might not own the rights to the code but i down the physical product

I agree completely. What physical property do you own after a download, since you just received the code (which you said you don't own the rights to)?

System Name ALIENWARE R8
Memory DDR4 16GB @2.8Ghz
Case ALIENWARE R8
Power Supply 850 WATTS
Mouse ROSWILL NEON M60
Keyboard ALIENWARE
Software WIN 10
I agree completely. What physical property do you own after a download, since you just received the code (which you said you don't own the rights to)?

ttttttttttt.. if i buy a book.. i own the book but not the words or ideas in it.. same with software..if its on my pc i own it.. software or hardware .. its all the same to me....:rolleyes:

AND to further counter your augument..... if i put the downloaded *.exe/*.ISO ...etc and put said software on a physical media.. is it not mine then?.. im mainly refering to DVD/CD BUT wouldnt a HDD also be considered physical media..lol:D

i see your point.. but i dont agree with it.. you will say.. "its not my point, but the law or eula agreement" not to put words in your mouth.. but i have a feeling you will counter with something like that.. and you would be correct..:respect:

still dont agree with it...

Kreij

Senior Monkey Moderator
We are all in the same boat, Brandenburg.
It's similar to your drivers license. You own the little peice of paper that says you can drive legally, but you cannot sell that priviledge nor give it away.

We will see what happens in the digital arena in the future. It will be decided in the courts of the US (for us in the US), but I don't see any major changes in the near future.

For now all we can do is hug our (Portal) companion cube, vote for representatives that have similar values to ours and see how it all plays out.

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
I'm pretty sure there will be false positives. I'd be really pissed if I'd bought it and I got banned due to this underhand tactic.

You can always get redressal from Steam. Steam keeps a proof of your purchase.

I spi ed coffee into my aptop, guess which key isnt working?

Post in Japanse accent. We won't raff.