• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Shader unlock on non-reference XFX 6950

tylercarbone

Hi all-

I have an XFX HD-695X-CNFC (non reference 2GB). I've been trying to unlock it via the shader-unlock-only method, as described here, but the BIOS simply will not flash.

I've tried to flash it using both ATIFlash and ATIWinflash. In both cases I attempted to unlockrom first, and in both cases I was told that the ROM had been successfully unlocked. Despite that, when I then tried to flash the modded bios, it failed.

I've tried both the modded bios via Wizzard's script, as well as a modded bios via RBE. No matter what I try to do, I get a "Cannot erase ROM" error. I know others have posted success in getting non-reference XFX cards unlocked, but nothing seems to be working so far.

After posting this message in the main thread for shader unlocking, it was suggested I create a separate thread. So... help? :)

Thanks guys.

Tyler

manofthem

WCG-TPU Team All-Star!
Processor 3900X @ 4.0
Motherboard Asus ROG Strix X570-E
Cooling DeepCool Castle 360EX
Memory G Skill Trident Z Neo 32GB 3600
Video Card(s) RX 5700 XT Pulse
Storage Sabrent Rocket Q 1TB
Display(s) LG 34UC88
Case Thermaltake P3
Power Supply Super Flower Leadex III 750w
Mouse Logitech G900
Keyboard G Skill KM570 MX Silver
Software Windows 10 Pro
You didn't need to post a new thread about this... it would have been answered in the other one. (but I saw that other guy said to start a new one so whatever)

So your XFX...

If you read the last 4 pages (93-96) in the other page you posted, you'll see that one guy was having trouble flashing his XFX, like yours. He tried eveything, and he finally took it back and got an MSI Twin FrozrII: flashed first time.

On the other hand, Cadaveca has the same card, an XFX 2GB non ref, and his flashed fine. He also erocker had the same, flashed without problem.

So what I'm saying is that I'm not sure. My XFX is a 2GB ref and works fine, so I really can't help you. I will say to read those last few pages, make sure you try what is suggested, and go from there.

tylercarbone

Thanks for the quick reply.

I did read the last few pages of the larger thread, and it looks like a few people have reported similar problems, but I didn't see any solutions (other than, as you said, exchanging the card completely).

Unfortunately I can't exchange the card at this point, though, so I figured I'd see if anyone had any alternate suggestions.

Because I've been trying to flash from a DOS partition, it shouldn't have anything to do with the CCC/drivers in Windows, right? I could do an uninstall there if that'd have any benefit, but it seems unlikely.

Thanks,
Tyler

cadaveca

My name is Dave
Thanks for the quick reply.

I did read the last few pages of the larger thread, and it looks like a few people have reported similar problems, but I didn't see any solutions (other than, as you said, exchanging the card completely).

Unfortunately I can't exchange the card at this point, though, so I figured I'd see if anyone had any alternate suggestions.

Because I've been trying to flash from a DOS partition, it shouldn't have anything to do with the CCC/drivers in Windows, right? I could do an uninstall there if that'd have any benefit, but it seems unlikely.

Thanks,
Tyler

I have this card, flashed just fine, as did erocker's two cards.

Use ATIWinFlash to suck the bios off the card.

Use script to mod it.

Flash bios using ATIWinFlash with no driver installed. DO NOT flash outside of windows, as the flasher for DOS does not support these cards, so it's behavior is suspect..

Profit.

If that doesn't work, let us know what error msg you get.

There isn't anything XFX can do, really, to prevent the flash, so we' got to assume that either the programs used are at fault, or you really have a GPU that cannot be flashed. Error msgs should tell us which one of those two it is.

azuki

I plan on getting this card because of: 1) best design I ever seen (matte black/grey scheme is the style I will use to build my new rig) and 2) supposedly shader unlock does work. I plan on doing the shader unlock mod, and oc cpu/mem with msi ab. I just want to be sure before I pull the trigger. Tyler let us know how you are doing.

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF x670e
Cooling EK AIO 360. Phantek T30 fans.
Memory 32GB G.Skill 6000Mhz
Video Card(s) Asus RTX 4090
Storage WD m.2
Display(s) LG C2 Evo OLED 42"
Case Lian Li PC 011 Dynamic Evo
Audio Device(s) Topping E70 DAC, SMSL SP200 Headphone Amp.
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti PRO 1000W
Mouse Razer Basilisk V3 Pro
Keyboard Tester84
Software Windows 11
I plan on getting this card because of: 1) best design I ever seen (matte black/grey scheme is the style I will use to build my new rig) and 2) supposedly shader unlock does work. I plan on doing the shader unlock mod, and oc cpu/mem with msi ab. I just want to be sure before I pull the trigger. Tyler let us know how you are doing.

It has one of the best looking coolers I've seen on a card. Unfortunately it's also one of the worst performing coolers I've experienced on a card. I wouldn't recommend it.

azuki

Erocker but you were able to unlock shader mod on the xfx 695x? i'll take my chances!! > < i'm an art nerd, i like aesthetics. i really don't plan on SERIOUS gaming but i've been dying for a serious rig since my old one (like 6-7 years) died out on me. i plan on playing dota 2 diablo 3 and maybe skyrim

Storage WD m.2
Keyboard Tester84
Software Windows 11
Yes and things seem stable. But hot, very hot. I have a couple Accelero Xtemes going on these cards. :) One nice thing is the PCB is identical to the 6870 minus one screw hole, so anything that will fit on a 6870 will fit on thee 6950's including full coverage waterblocks.

manofthem

WCG-TPU Team All-Star!
Processor 3900X @ 4.0
Motherboard Asus ROG Strix X570-E
Cooling DeepCool Castle 360EX
Memory G Skill Trident Z Neo 32GB 3600
Video Card(s) RX 5700 XT Pulse
Storage Sabrent Rocket Q 1TB
Display(s) LG 34UC88
Case Thermaltake P3
Power Supply Super Flower Leadex III 750w
Mouse Logitech G900
Keyboard G Skill KM570 MX Silver
Software Windows 10 Pro
Yes and things seem stable. But hot, very hot. I have a couple Accelero Xtemes going on these cards. :) One nice thing is the PCB is identical to the 6870 minus one screw hole, so anything that will fit on a 6870 will fit on thee 6950's including full coverage waterblocks.

So will that cooler work with 2 cards in crossfire?

And does it work with the ram sinks without any modding?

Storage WD m.2
Keyboard Tester84
Software Windows 11
did u say u had the 1gb or 2gb 695x? because i plan on getting the 2gb and xfire them. thanks! are u referring to this one?
ARCTIC COOLING Accelero XTREME Plus Fluid Dynamic ...
I have the 1gb version. Yes, that's the cooler and AC suggests you get the VR001 heatsink kit for these cards.

So will that cooler work with 2 cards in crossfire?

And does it work with the ram sinks without any modding?

It works with the ram sinks from the VR001 kit and no modding required.

tylercarbone

I have this card, flashed just fine, as did erocker's two cards.

Use ATIWinFlash to suck the bios off the card.

Use script to mod it.

Flash bios using ATIWinFlash with no driver installed. DO NOT flash outside of windows, as the flasher for DOS does not support these cards, so it's behavior is suspect..

Profit.

If that doesn't work, let us know what error msg you get.

There isn't anything XFX can do, really, to prevent the flash, so we' got to assume that either the programs used are at fault, or you really have a GPU that cannot be flashed. Error msgs should tell us which one of those two it is.

Thanks for the suggestion. Tried again, with a clean windows install (needed to reinstall anyway, hard drive swap). No drivers of any kind. Ran ATIWinflash (as admin), said "Cannot Erase ROM."

Next tried to run it through CMD (also as admin), running "atiwinflash -unlockrom 0" first, then "atiwinflash -p 0 modded.bin," and "atiwinflash -f -p 0 modded.bin"

For both commands run through CMD, the progress bar got to ~60%, then disappeared. No confirmation dialogue appeared.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks in advance,
Tyler

cadaveca

My name is Dave
No, I do not have any other suggestions.

It seems to me that OEMs are now "permalocking" thier cards...my Sapphire reference card will only flash on one bios, not both, and only one bios would unlock(it WAS locked).

The only other siggestion is that now that the card is supposedly unlocked, don't use the CMD prompt to flash, just try the ATIWinFlash GUI.

tylercarbone

No, I do not have any other suggestions.

It seems to me that OEMs are now "permalocking" thier cards...my Sapphire reference card will only flash on one bios, not both, and only one bios would unlock(it WAS locked).

The only other siggestion is that now that the card is supposedly unlocked, don't use the CMD prompt to flash, just try the ATIWinFlash GUI.

Alas, tried that, too. Same error -- it just won't unlock. I guess when they eliminated the bios switch they just left the read-only bios. Bah.

Thanks very much for the help -- let me know if you think of anything else.

Tyler

cadaveca

My name is Dave
Is it possible for you to post a screenshot of GPU-z? I'm curious to see if your bios is a different version than mine...maybe we can find something that will dictate whether a card is flashable or not...

mine:

System Name Custom DIY
Processor Intel i7 2600K @ 4.8 Turbo 1.4v
Motherboard Asus P8Z68-V Pro 8801
Cooling XSPC RS240 + 120mm Rad/fan
Memory Corsair 1866 Vangence 9-10-9-27-2T
Video Card(s) 2X EVGA GTX570 SLI
Storage OCZ Revodrive 110GB + 2x1TB seagate
Display(s) ASUS MT276HE
Case CoolerMaster Sniper
Audio Device(s) X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Professional Series
Power Supply ANTEC TP-750 Blue 750Watts
Software win7 64
Benchmark Scores http://3dmark.com/3dm11/1347866
i read a lot about this card on other forums , a lot of non flashable card... better have a working 6950 then a broken 6970 ...

anyways the shaders unlock bring barely a 1% increase...

System Name "Złotko"
Processor AMD 1055T @ 3600 MHz
Motherboard Asrock 880G@890GX
Cooling Thermalright 120 Xtreme (lapped)
Memory A-Data 1600 Plus
Video Card(s) Asus HD6950 unlocked - WOW
Storage many more than you can imagine
Display(s) Acer AL1923 and Philips 40PFL5605H
Case Fractal Define R3
Audio Device(s) X-Fi Music / onboard
Power Supply Seasonic M12D 850W
Software viruses, worms, trojan horses, spyware, adware, rootkits
Benchmark Scores 2.3 promile of alcohol in my blood and still standing

tylercarbone

Is it possible for you to post a screenshot of GPU-z? I'm curious to see if your bios is a different version than mine...maybe we can find something that will dictate whether a card is flashable or not...

mine:

http://gpuz.techpowerup.com/11/04/18/dwf.png

Will upload a screenshot later (haven't setup the LAN drivers on the new box yet), but I just checked: the only differences between our two cards are the # of shaders and the Texture Fillrate. Every other field is exactly identical.

azuki

Tyler do you believe the 695x is not able to unlock shaders? I wish yours would unlock so I can purchase mine lol. When did u purchase?

tylercarbone

It certainly looks like it cannot be unlocked. At this point I've tried both ATIFlash and ATI Winflash, using every technique I could find suggested on these forums. I bought the card about 2 weeks ago.

I'd love to be proven wrong on that, so if anyone has any suggestions... :)

Processor intel 2500k 4.3ghz
Motherboard Gigabyte ga ds3
Memory 1600mhz
Video Card(s) Gainward 1060 6gb GS
Case same mod for 7 years
Power Supply gamextream 600w
Software win 10 64 ultimate
try from dos.. and type atiflash -p -f 0 biosname.bin

tylercarbone

try from dos.. and type atiflash -p -f 0 biosname.bin

Tried that. I can successfully unlock the ROM with ATI Flash, but when I try to flash the new ROM it gives me the following:

Error 0Fl01: Cannot Erase ROM

So... it seems to be lying to me when it says successful unlock.

Memory 1600mhz
try using an older atiflash programme.. if there is an switch on youre card try to switch it and then programme
.. and all this not from windows

tylercarbone

try using an older atiflash programme.. if there is an switch on youre card try to switch it and then programme
.. and all this not from windows

Right, all from within a bootable DOS USB.

Any suggestion on how old an ATIFlash to use? I don't want to go back far enough that it causes a compatibility problem.

Thanks,
Tyler

Memory 1600mhz
hard to say.. try an late 2010 version or early 2011
.. yes with a bootable dos usb or floppy