• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Seagate and Samsung Announce Broad Strategic Alignment

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
Seagate Technology, the world leader in hard disk drives and storage solutions, and Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd., a world leader in digital consumer electronics and information technology, today announced that they have entered into a definitive agreement under which Seagate and Samsung will significantly expand and strengthen their strategic relationship by further aligning their respective ownership, investments and key technologies. Major elements of the agreement include:
  • Samsung combining its hard disk drive (HDD) operations into Seagate
  • Extending and enhancing the existing patent cross-license agreement between the companies
  • A NAND flash memory supply agreement under which Samsung will provide Seagate with its market-leading semiconductor products for use in Seagate's enterprise solid state drives (SSDs), solid state hybrid drives and other products
  • A disk drive supply agreement under which Seagate will supply disk drives to Samsung for PCs, notebooks and consumer electronics
  • Expanded cooperation between the companies to co-develop enterprise storage solutions
  • Samsung receiving significant equity ownership in Seagate

The combined value of these transactions and agreements is approximately $1.375 billion USD, which will be paid by Seagate to Samsung in the form of 50% stock and 50% cash.

These transactions and related strategic agreements will enable both companies to better align their current and future product development efforts and roadmaps, accelerate time-to-market for new products and position the companies to better address rapidly evolving opportunities in markets including, but not limited to, mobile computing, cloud computing and solid state storage. In connection with its strategic alliance with Samsung, Seagate expects also to strengthen its relationship with TDK Corporation/SAE Magnetics (H.K.) Ltd. Together, these transactions and agreements broaden a strategic relationship between Seagate and Samsung that began with a joint development agreement announced in August 2010.

"We are pleased to strengthen our strategic relationship with Samsung in a way that better aligns both companies around technologies and products," said Steve Luczo, Seagate chairman, president and CEO. "With these agreements, we expect to achieve greater scale and deliver a broader range of innovative storage products and solutions to our customers, while facilitating our long-term relationship with Samsung."

Seagate expects these transactions and agreements to be meaningfully accretive to non-GAAP diluted earnings per share and cash flow within the first full year following the closing, and Seagate does not expect any material restructuring costs in connection with them.

"Delivering value to the market and consumers is the primary goal of the extensive agreement announced today. Samsung looks forward to extending our existing strategic ties with Seagate, to deliver creative technology solutions for a broad diversity of consumer, business and industrial applications," said Oh-hyun, Kwon, president of the semiconductor business of Samsung Electronics.

The transactions and agreements significantly expand Seagate's customer access in China and Southeast Asia. In addition, the mutual supply agreements enable Seagate to secure an important source of leading-edge NAND flash supply as the company expands its SSD and solid state hybrid product offerings, and position Seagate to be a more significant supplier of disk drives to Samsung. The agreement also gives Samsung a significant ownership position in Seagate.

Under the terms of the agreement, Samsung will receive consideration consisting of 50% Seagate ordinary shares and 50% cash. Upon closing, Samsung will receive Seagate ordinary shares valued at $687.5 million (45.2 million shares, or approximately 9.6% ownership of Seagate, which is based on Seagate's 30-day volume weighted average stock price prior to signing), plus $687.5 million in cash. Samsung will have a right to designate a nominee to j oin Seagate's Board of Directors following closing.

The agreement has no financing contingencies, and is subject to customary closing conditions, including review by U.S. and international regulators. The transactions are expected to close by the end of calendar year 2011.

Morgan Stanley & Co. Incorporated served as financial advisor and Wilson Sonsini Goodrich & Rosati, Professional Corporation served as legal advisor to Seagate in connection with the transaction. Allen & Company LLC served as financial advisor and Paul, Hastings, Janofsky & Walker LLP served as legal advisor to Samsung.
A shareholder agreement under which an executive of Samsung will be nominated to join Seagate's Board of Directors

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

Completely Bonkers

Processor Mysterious Engineering Prototype
Motherboard Intel 865
Cooling Custom block made in workshop
Memory Corsair XMS 2GB
Video Card(s) FireGL X3-256
Display(s) 1600x1200 SyncMaster x 2 = 3200x1200
Software Windows 2003
Big mistake by Samsung. Samsung is the better HDD brand IMO - and Seagate has a tarnished reputation in the consumer segment. I have avoided seagate drives the last 5 years. Samsung therefore dilutes their brand.

Seagate has no SSD... and SSD is the future. So that is one hell of a massive gift to Seagate.

Morgan Stanley are masters of their business to sell this one.

This must have to do with US gvt contracts REQUIRING US supply. So Samsung bought themselves into the US Gvt procurement market.

System Name Homelabs
Processor Ryzen 5900x | Ryzen 1920X
Motherboard Asus ProArt x570 Creator | AsRock X399 fatal1ty gaming
Cooling Silent Loop 2 280mm | Dark Rock Pro TR4
Memory 128GB (4x32gb) DDR4 3600Mhz | 128GB (8x16GB) DDR4 2933Mhz
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 3080 | ASUS Strix GTX 970
Storage Optane 900p + NVMe | Optane 900p + 8TB SATA SSDs + 48TB HDDs
Display(s) Alienware AW3423dw QD-OLED | HP Omen 32 1440p
Case be quiet! Dark Base Pro 900 rev 2 | be quiet! Silent Base 800
Power Supply Corsair RM750x + sleeved cables| EVGA P2 750W
Mouse Razer Viper Ultimate (still has buttons on the right side, crucial as I'm a southpaw)
Keyboard Razer Huntsman Elite, Pro Type | Logitech G915 TKL
I disagree. Apart from the 7200.11 fiasco, Seagate has been great... Samsung may be popular among us techies, but it is a bit less among others. Seagate on the other hand, is very popular, along with Hitachi and WD.

System Name PHaS3-XX
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 1700 @ 4.00GHz
Motherboard Asus ROG Strix B450-F Gaming
Cooling Corsair H105 (AM4 Retention yay!)
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR4 3200 C16
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Radeon RX 5700 Stock Cooler @ XT BIOS
Storage PC- Crucial MX200 SSD + Intel Pro SSD 2500 + Crucial BX500 / Server- 12TB
Display(s) Dell UltraSharp U2719D + Dell P2417H
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster Recon3D PCIe
Power Supply Corsair RM750
Mouse Logitech G500S
Keyboard Logitech G413 Silver
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
Benchmark Scores @_@
Samsung receiving significant equity ownership in Seagate

So... like...

"hey we will swap you some shares for your HDD Division!"

lol... :laugh:

kirtar

meh hopefully they keep the Samsung line at the same quality (or make the Seagate ones match)....

System Name penguin
Processor R7 5700G
Motherboard Asrock B450M Pro4
Cooling Some CM tower cooler that will fit my case
Memory 4 x 8GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz
Video Card(s) IGP
Storage ADATA SU800 512GB
Display(s) 27' LG
Case Zalman
Audio Device(s) stock
Power Supply Seasonic SS-620GM
Software win10
Samsung don't even need a HDD divison. They were one of the pioneers of SSD tech 2-3 years ago...

I disagree. Apart from the 7200.11 fiasco, Seagate has been great... Samsung may be popular among us techies, but it is a bit less among others. Seagate on the other hand, is very popular, along with Hitachi and WD.

Only techies even know HD brands. The rest of the world population doesn't even know what a HD is. I'm pretty sure average Joe is more likely to know the name Samsung than Seagate.

Though to be fair, I don't have the numbers. Do you?

PhysXerror

System Name Avalon
Processor Intel I7 3770K (Stock)
Motherboard Asus Z77 Sabretooth
Cooling Swiftech Apogee HD, GTX 240, EK Full cover GPU block
Memory 2x4Gb Corsair 1600Mhz
Video Card(s) Evga GTX570 @ 833/1015/1665
Storage OCZ Vertex 3 120Gb, 1.5Tb SataIII Internal, 2.5Tb in Externals
Display(s) Samsung 245B 24" 1920x1200 / HP 19" L1925
Case Cooler Master CM690 II Advanced
Audio Device(s) Intergrated + Logitech X530 + Logitech G930
Power Supply Corsair AX750W
Software Win7 Ultimate 64bit
Benchmark Scores Heaven Benchmark v2.5 - 1115 | Nova - 1288
System Name Homelabs
Mouse Razer Viper Ultimate (still has buttons on the right side, crucial as I'm a southpaw)
Only techies even know HD brands. The rest of the world population doesn't even know what a HD is. I'm pretty sure average Joe is more likely to know the name Samsung than Seagate.

Though to be fair, I don't have the numbers. Do you?

Nope, no numbers.

I am not talking about the average Joe, as the average Joe would not need to know HDD brands. but people who want to buy an external Hard drive, or replace/add a HDD to their computer, or are new system builders will do a small amount of research and come up with WD and Seagate most likely.

In my experience, the BIG majority of "average Joe" people who know HDD brands are because of external drives, and WD is #1 in popularity followed by Seagate

System Name TheRig
Processor AMD Phenom II x4 970 @ Stock
Motherboard Asus Crosshair IV
Cooling Cooler Master V8
Memory Crucial Ballistix Tracer Red LED 2gb x 4
Video Card(s) XFX Radeon 6950 2gb
Storage 1x Crucial 64gb C300, 2x Seagate SV35.5 500gb
Display(s) 24" LG LED 1080p
Case Lian Li Lancool K62R1 (Red Interior)
Audio Device(s) On Board Soundblaster X-Fi
Power Supply Cooler Master SilentPro 850w
Software Windows 7 64 bit
Actually they do

"Seagate has no SSD..."

Seagate actually does have a line of SSDs. They are primarily targeted at the enterprise sector, but I'm sure its only a matter of time before they begin targeting the consumer sector. This "merger" might just be the start of that. I have used seagate drives for almost 10 years, and have never had one failure. The method of shipping and handling, along with the temperature the drive is operated at have more to do with the chances of failure than anything in most cases.

Nope, no numbers.

I am not talking about the average Joe, as the average Joe would not need to know HDD brands. but people who want to buy an external Hard drive, or replace/add a HDD to their computer, or are new system builders will do a small amount of research and come up with WD and Seagate most likely.

In my experience, the BIG majority of "average Joe" people who know HDD brands are because of external drives, and WD is #1 in popularity followed by Seagate

Average Joe doesn't know HDD brands, that's my point. They know Samsung though, as it's in the top 20 of biggest brand names. So they see WD, Seagate and Samsung and think "hey Samsung, that's the same brand as my TV, so it must be good".

System Name It's just a computer
Processor i9-9900K Direct Die
Motherboard eVGA Z390 Dark
Cooling Dual D5T Vario, XSPC BayRes, Nemesis GTR560, NF-A14-iPPC3000PWM, NF-A14-iPPC2000, HK IV Pro Nickel
Memory G.Skill F4-4500C19D-16GTZKKE or G.Skill F4-3600C16D-16GTZ or G.Skill F4-4000C19D-32GTZSW
Video Card(s) eVGA RTX2080 FTW3 Ultra
Storage Samsung 960 EVO M.2
Display(s) LG 32GK650F
Case Thermaltake Xaser VI
Audio Device(s) Auzentech X-Meridian 7.1 2G/Z-5500
Power Supply Seasonic Prime PX-1300
Mouse Logitech
Keyboard Logitech
Software Win7 Ultimate x64 SP1
I went over to Samsung a couple years ago after my 500G Seagate developed bad sectors after six months and I refused to follow the anal-retentive RMA requirements that Seagate imposed.

The Seagate drive went in the trash, I bought a 500G Samsung.

My Samsung has performed flawlessly.

Thassodar

System Name BNSAUCE
Processor AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition
Motherboard MSI 870-G45
Cooling Case fans, Zalman HSF
Memory 8GB (4x2GB) Corsair XMS3 1333 Mhz
Video Card(s) PowerColor ATi Radeon HD 6950 (Unlocked Shaders)
Storage Samsung 2TB 5400RPM, 1.5 TB Seagate 7200RPM, 500 GB WD Caviar Green
Display(s) AOC e2243Fw 21.5" Monitor
Power Supply Antec TruePower TP-650 650W
Software Windows 7 Pro 64-bit
"Seagate has no SSD..."

Seagate actually does have a line of SSDs. They are primarily targeted at the enterprise sector, but I'm sure its only a matter of time before they begin targeting the consumer sector. This "merger" might just be the start of that. I have used seagate drives for almost 10 years, and have never had one failure. The method of shipping and handling, along with the temperature the drive is operated at have more to do with the chances of failure than anything in most cases.

You know what? I will stay away from Seagate refurbs from now on. I had two 500GB Seagate refurbs I spanned together, and I crossed my fingers. But, because they were refurbs I named the drives the Titanic on my PC because I knew they'd sink eventually. Scoot to a month after the warranty ran out, BOOM one of them starts dying.:slap:

So I copypasta'd as much as I could to another drive (another Seagate 1.5TB I got for a badass deal:shadedshu) before unspanning them and naming the leftover drive Survivor. The 1.5TB newer Seagate is still running strong but I named it Yamato because that was a Japanese warship that was supposed to be badass and was sunk eventually. My new 2TB Samsung drive I bought this weekend has subsequently been named Nimitz, for the Nimitz class supercarriers.

Long story short: I will not rely on my Seagate drives for anything major.

Cooling Dual D5T Vario, XSPC BayRes, Nemesis GTR560, NF-A14-iPPC3000PWM, NF-A14-iPPC2000, HK IV Pro Nickel
Memory G.Skill F4-4500C19D-16GTZKKE or G.Skill F4-3600C16D-16GTZ or G.Skill F4-4000C19D-32GTZSW
Display(s) LG 32GK650F
Mouse Logitech
Keyboard Logitech
@Dan,

The Seagate RMA CSR I was communicating with via email gave me a link to some special padded shipping box, and said the RMA department would refuse it and return it to me if I did not use their "approved" shipping container.

I checked it out; $15 for their "approved container"!

I argued a little with the CSR, got nowhere, and in the end I just decide to buy the Samsung.

I should probably go buy a couple extra Samsung HDDs, just to have some spares, before those morons at Seagate ruin it.

System Name Old Fart / Young Dude
Processor 2500K / 6600K
Motherboard ASRock P67Extreme4 / Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 DDR3
Cooling CM Hyper TX3 / CM Hyper 212 EVO
Memory 16 GB Kingston HyperX / 16 GB G.Skill Ripjaws X
Video Card(s) Gigabyte GTX 1050 Ti / INNO3D RTX 2060
Storage SSD, some WD and lots of Samsungs
Display(s) BenQ GW2470 / LG UHD 43" TV
Case Cooler Master CM690 II Advanced / Thermaltake Core v31
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar D1/Denon PMA500AE/Wharfedale D 10.1/ FiiO D03K/ JBL LSR 305
Power Supply Corsair TX650 / Corsair TX650M
Mouse Steelseries Rival 100 / Rival 110
Keyboard Sidewinder/ Steelseries Apex 150
Software Windows 10 / Windows 10 Pro
The idea is Sammy was apparently losing money on HDD division and that held back their whatever target they have to deliver growth to whatever owners they have. So they found a buyer very quick, this was a rumour not long time ago and sold it. We heard many good things about Samsung HDDs, I own an external e-sata but can't comment now since only time will tell what's gonna happen. On the other hand my Seagate Barracuda 500Gigs is going strong after more than three years so can't complain. As for this merger, buy-out or whatever, it's the way money is made so we better shut up. The sad thing is we will only have 2 major players, WD and Seagate.

@Dan,

The Seagate RMA CSR I was communicating with via email gave me a link to some special padded shipping box, and said the RMA department would refuse it and return it to me if I did not use their "approved" shipping container.

I checked it out; $15 for their "approved container"!

I argued a little with the CSR, got nowhere, and in the end I just decide to buy the Samsung.

I should probably go buy a couple extra Samsung HDDs, just to have some spares, before those morons at Seagate ruin it.
Why bother speaking to a CSR in the first place? Go to the warranty check thingy, print the nicer paper they generate and ship it. Never had problems with them. In fact, I once got a Quantum disk replaced after they purchased Maxtor. ie years after Maxtor bought Quantum.

Display(s) LG 32GK650F
Mouse Logitech
Keyboard Logitech
Why bother speaking to a CSR in the first place? Go to the warranty check thingy, print the nicer paper they generate and ship it. Never had problems with them. In fact, I once got a Quantum disk replaced after they purchased Maxtor. ie years after Maxtor bought Quantum.

I believe the email conversation was initiated when I requested a RMA number.

Regardless, I am very satisfied with my Samsung, and have no desire to ever buy Seagate again.

System Name Homelabs
Average Joe doesn't know HDD brands, that's my point. They know Samsung though, as it's in the top 20 of biggest brand names. So they see WD, Seagate and Samsung and think "hey Samsung, that's the same brand as my TV, so it must be good".

My point is that the average Joe doesn't buy HDDs, except Externals sometimes (AFAIK Samsung doesn't have externals) and whenever I ask someone what they prefer as an HDD brand, they mostly say WD (age 16-20 non-techies)

I understand that someone who has little knowledge of anything computer related is probably going to be attracted to Samsung, but these people generally do not buy HDDs

Processor AMD R5 3600
Motherboard ASUS X370 Prime Pro
Memory 32GB (4x8GB) Crucial Ballistix DDR4 3000Mhz C15 @ 3600Mhz C16
Video Card(s) Nvidia RTX 2060 6GB GDDR6 FE
Storage 4x 1TB SSD
Display(s) Benq XL2411Z 144Hz + Asus VS24H
Case Corsair 270R
Audio Device(s) Yamaha AG03 + Rode Procaster
Power Supply Corsair AX 650W 90+ Gold
Mouse Logitech G Pro Superlight
Keyboard KBD67 Lite R3 (Gazzew Boba U4 + AKKO Midnight)
VR HMD Valve Index
Software Windows 10 Pro 64bit
My point is that the average Joe doesn't buy HDDs, except Externals sometimes (AFAIK Samsung doesn't have externals) and whenever I ask someone what they prefer as an HDD brand, they mostly say WD (age 16-20 non-techies)

I understand that someone who has little knowledge of anything computer related is probably going to be attracted to Samsung, but these people generally do not buy HDDs

I'm running a Samsung 640 GB external drive right now :wtf: ; Samsung has quite an extensive line of external HDDs and they're quite good, the Samsung G2 I have is quiet, silent and cool, and it's pretty small (2.5inch)
Yeah, most people I know prefer WD too, out of all of the HDDs I had, Samsung and WD never died on me.

System Name penguin
Processor R7 5700G
Motherboard Asrock B450M Pro4
Cooling Some CM tower cooler that will fit my case
Memory 4 x 8GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz
Video Card(s) IGP
Storage ADATA SU800 512GB
Display(s) 27' LG
Case Zalman
Audio Device(s) stock
Power Supply Seasonic SS-620GM
Software win10

I think the main reason WD got to the enthusiast community is because of the Raptor drives. Bringing the faster tech from the corporate world and making it available to the public really helped their image.

On the other hand i think Seagate are still kings in the server world...

System Name Homelabs
I'm running a Samsung 640 GB external drive right now :wtf: ; Samsung has quite an extensive line of external HDDs and they're quite good, the Samsung G2 I have is quiet, silent and cool, and it's pretty small (2.5inch)
Yeah, most people I know prefer WD too, out of all of the HDDs I had, Samsung and WD never died on me.

Now if you compare Samsung vs Seagate GoFlex thingy, I bet Seagate has much more sold

Processor Intel i7 970 // Intel i7 2600K
Motherboard Asus Rampage III Formula // Asus P8P67 Deluxe
Cooling Zalman CNPS9900MaxB // Zalman CNPS11X
Memory GSkill 2133 12GB // Corsair V 2400 32GB
Video Card(s) ASUS GTX1080 // MSI GTX1070
Storage Samsung 860EVO // Samsung840P
Display(s) HP w2207h
Case CoolerMaster Stacker 830se // Lian Li PC-9F
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply Seasonic X 850w Gold // EVGA 850w G2
Mouse Logitech G502SE HERO, G9
Keyboard Dell
Software W10 Pro 22H2
I own two Samsung externals, S2 model's 640GB usb2, small form factor which have been great and two Iomega 1TB usb2 that have Samsung F2 eco drives in them, so far so good.

I have only purchased WD or Samsung for past 5 years.

I hope the quality holds up and the price remains stable.

System Name 2nd AMD puppy
Processor FX-8350 vishera
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3
Cooling Cooler Master Hyper TX2
Memory 16 Gb DDR3:8GB Kingston HyperX Beast + 8Gb G.Skill Sniper(by courtesy of tabascosauz &TPU)
Video Card(s) Sapphire RX 580 Nitro+;1450/2000 Mhz
Storage SSD :840 pro 128 Gb;Iridium pro 240Gb ; HDD 2xWD-1Tb
Display(s) Benq XL2730Z 144 Hz freesync
Case NZXT 820 PHANTOM
Audio Device(s) Audigy SE with Logitech Z-5500
Power Supply Riotoro Enigma G2 850W
Mouse Razer copperhead / Gamdias zeus (by courtesy of sneekypeet & TPU)
Keyboard MS Sidewinder x4
Software win10 64bit ltsc
Benchmark Scores irrelevant for me
all hdd's producers are good; any producer make mistake sometimes and only a few one manage to hide it if is not noticed...;i have hdd's from seagate (even the 500Gb with firmware issue and is working great) samsung and wd and for me they're all good till die;at today's hdd prices nobody can complain they are the cheapest storage solution and prices won't go down further even if ssd will become predominant.

i always managed to get the data back from bad hdd (a bad hhd is not so bad if you know how to revive it) and i don't know if is so easy to do the same with ssd;anyone know ?

WD does have a decent name in that area yes. I agree to that extend. Though Seagate doesn't.

I have to ask though, how often do you ask random people what HDD brand they prefer? And why do you?