• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

ASUS Sabertooth P67 Motherboard Review

• Thread starter Deleted member 24505
  • Start date
Processor 2700x under H100i progeebee
Motherboard ASUS x470 prime
Cooling Fans
Memory gskill ripjaw 3200
Video Card(s) MSi Vega 64 ref
Storage 120Gb OCZ Vertex 2E SSD - 500Gb Games - 1.5tb Storage and Media
Case CM HAF 932
Power Supply Corsair TX750
Software Win 10
I just bought one actually. Pretty sweet board for my needs and the 5 year warranty is nice. With the assistant fan my highest temp on the board under load is 40c and that's the usb3 controller.

Are there any reviews that show the temperature difference with/without the shroud? I may have seen one a while back but I can't remember.

Cooling Fans
Case CM HAF 932
Software Win 10
I did see one review remove the fan but I can't remember who did it.. I'll try to find it. I think they only removed it to see the components and didn't run tests.

Removed http://www.pro-clockers.com/motherb...ooth-tuf-socket-1155-motherboard.html?start=3

Near the bottom of this review they compare temps with and without the fan and armor. http://wccftech.com/2011/03/17/asus-p67-sabertooh-motherboard-review-built-survive/

http://vr-zone.com/articles/asus-sa...s-its-thermal-armor-really-work-/11447-4.html

And here is a nice image

So, according to the reviews, unless you have a heatsink with the fan facing down onto the board or a 50mm fan in that hatch the shroud is pretty much useless.

Cooling Fans
Case CM HAF 932
Software Win 10
So, according to the reviews, unless you have a heatsink with the fan facing down onto the board or a 50mm fan in that hatch the shroud is pretty much useless.

Pretty much. Other than looking cool (subjective) it doesn't do all that much without the fan. This board should have come with the fan and it belongs in a high air flow case IMO.

With 3x205mm, 3x120mm, 2x140mm, and my GPU fan my temps are lower than most reviewers listed temps because they usually use open testbeds.

Last edited:
Still don't get the point of this mobo, especially since suspicions that the jacket = higher component temps is now confirmed. I may be a little biased since my last Asus board was somewhat disappointing but it doesn't seem like any of their P67 boards offer better value on the low / mid end or features that are better on the high end.

I hope this is a one time gimmick and more board partners don't start doing it because it makes their product look inferior somehow without it, ultimately raising cost for no reason. We've already been through that with all the ultra mega super ludicrous durable stuff.

Cooling Fans
Case CM HAF 932
Software Win 10
Still don't get the point of this mobo, especially since suspicions that the jacket = higher component temps is now confirmed. I may be a little biased since my last Asus board was somewhat disappointing but it doesn't seem like any of their P67 boards offer better value on the low / mid end or features that are better on the high end.

I hope this is a one time gimmick and more board partners don't start doing it because it makes their product look inferior somehow without it, ultimately raising cost for no reason. We've already been through that with all the ultra mega super ludicrous durable stuff.

But they back it with a 5 year warranty to I dont see the durable aspect being a gimmick. The jacket does improve temps with the 50mm fan added.

System Name Wirewolf
Processor Core i7 7700K@5Ghz
Motherboard Asus Z270 TUF Mark 1
Cooling EVGA CLC240
Memory 32Gb (4x8Gb) Corsair Vengeance 3200mhz
Video Card(s) PNY RTX 3090 Revel Epic-X
Storage Samsung 960 Pro 500Gb / Toshiba X300 6Tb
Display(s) Viewsonic XG2703-GS 1440p@165hz IPS Gsync
Case Corsair Carbide C400
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply Corsair HX850i
Software Windows 10 Pro
But they back it with a 5 year warranty to I dont see the durable aspect being a gimmick. The jacket does improve temps with the 50mm fan added.

I too have added the fan to excellent cooling results across the board, literally. This is easily the nicest motherboard I've ever owned in 15 years of building my own PCs. I've had pretty much all the top brands, Asus always brings me back though. And this is their very best one yet. Kudos to Asus!

For the record, mine is still the B2 revision. I don't have anything attached to the SATA2 ports so didn't care about the SATA2 bug. But I refuse to take chance the replacement board won't let me hit the same 5Ghz I'm running my 2600K at right now.

It does appear that temps are slightly better with the 50mm fan, but there are not really a lot of 50mm fans and you're going to have to run that little thing at full speed all the time to get any of the perceived benefit. I'm just trying to figure how a little 8-10 CMF fan could possibly be superior to a 120mm+ fan blowing over or onto the mobo from the side panel if it's really a concern.

Don't really want to argue or be critical of what people buy though. 5 year warranty would be good for someone who's planning to keep it for the long haul.

System Name Wirewolf
Processor Core i7 7700K@5Ghz
Motherboard Asus Z270 TUF Mark 1
Cooling EVGA CLC240
Memory 32Gb (4x8Gb) Corsair Vengeance 3200mhz
Video Card(s) PNY RTX 3090 Revel Epic-X
Storage Samsung 960 Pro 500Gb / Toshiba X300 6Tb
Display(s) Viewsonic XG2703-GS 1440p@165hz IPS Gsync
Case Corsair Carbide C400
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply Corsair HX850i
Software Windows 10 Pro
It does appear that temps are slightly better with the 50mm fan, but there are not really a lot of 50mm fans and you're going to have to run that little thing at full speed all the time to get any of the perceived benefit. I'm just trying to figure how a little 8-10 CMF fan could possibly be superior to a 120mm+ fan blowing over or onto the mobo from the side panel if it's really a concern.

Don't really want to argue or be critical of what people buy though. 5 year warranty would be good for someone who's planning to keep it for the long haul.

There's more to it then just the thermal benefits. The protection benefits alone are worth it. Caution is great, but when Murphy rears his head, nobody's perfect, and the shield provides that extra protection from slips of the hand that could be catastrophic otherwise. Not to mention just looks UBER badass in a windowed case :pimp:

I actually hope the opposite and that Asus continues putting it on the Sabertooth line for X79.

Please ASUS engineers, can you reconsider the horrible :mad: beige brown Noctua colour scheme :shadedshu for this Sabertooth, and choose enthusiast colours scheme like (black red white) or (black blue white),

Last edited: