• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Thinking about buying two full Cover water blocks ... And have some questions.

System Name My Gaming System
Processor Intel i7 4770k @ 4.4 Ghz
Motherboard Asus Maximus VI Impact (ITX)
Cooling Custom Full System Water cooling Loop
Memory G.Skill 1866 Mhz Sniper 8 Gb
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 780 ti SC
Storage Samsung SSD EVO 120GB - Samsung SSD EVO 500GB
Display(s) ASUS W246H - 24" - widescreen TFT active matrix LCD
Case Bitfenix Prodigy
Power Supply Corsair AX760 Modular PSU
Software Windows 8.1 Home Primeum
So I am thinking about buying two full cover water blocks and adding my two GTX 580's into my loop. But before I do I never had full water blocks before. I always went with Universal ones. So I have some questions and here they are....

1. I had two 6950's and my i7 hooked up to my loop before with a EK Thick 4x120mm rad. Will that still be good enough for the GTX 580's? I suspect so but because the added heat of the VRM's-Memory-Chip that's why I am asking.

2. I am thinking about these blocks....http://www.frozencpu.com/products/13004/ex-blc-907/EK_GeForce_5X0_GTX_GW_VGA_Liquid_Cooling_Block_-_Nickel_EK-FC5X0_GTX_GW_-_Nickel_-_Non_Reference_Design.html .... So what would I need?
a. 4x G 1/4 Plugs? Or do the blocks come with them? ( am assuming plugs are needed for the bottoms and tops of the holes you don't use)
b. SLI Water connector? Which one should I be looking at? I have a Asus Maximus Extreme IV board and the cards are in the 1st and 3rd slot. (Would something like this work?) http://www.frozencpu.com/products/9342/koo-177/Koolance_Dual_VID_Connector_-_Adjustable_1_Slot_Spacing_CNT-VDA2_.html?tl=g30c101s873
c. Should I get extra thermal Pads... it says they are included but would you suggest extra thermal pads?

3. How much difference is there between the resistance of these blocks and the resistance of the Swiftech MCW80'S? Will they slow down the flow horribly?

These are all questions I need to know before I make my decision. I am pretty sure I am gonna do it... but before I do I just want to know what I am in for first :)

Thanks Guys

Case Bitfenix Prodigy
System Name The Dove Box Rev 3.0
Processor i7 8700k @ 4.7GHz
Motherboard Asus Maximus X APEX
Cooling Custom water loop
Memory 16GB 3600 MHz DDR4
Video Card(s) 2x MSI 780 Ti's in SLI
Storage 500GB Samsung 850 PCIe SSD, 4TB
Display(s) 27" Asus 144Hz
Case Enermax Fulmo GT
Audio Device(s) ON BOARD FTW
Power Supply Corsair 1200W
Keyboard Logitech G510
Software Win 10 64x
So I am thinking about buying two full cover water blocks and adding my two GTX 580's into my loop. But before I do I never had full water blocks before. I always went with Universal ones. So I have some questions and here they are....

1. I had two 6950's and my i7 hooked up to my loop before with a EK Thick 4x120mm rad. Will that still be good enough for the GTX 580's? I suspect so but because the added heat of the VRM's-Memory-Chip that's why I am asking.

Yes, that rad will work more than enough for just the two cards.

2. I am thinking about these blocks....http://www.frozencpu.com/products/13004/ex-blc-907/EK_GeForce_5X0_GTX_GW_VGA_Liquid_Cooling_Block_-_Nickel_EK-FC5X0_GTX_GW_-_Nickel_-_Non_Reference_Design.html .... So what would I need?

They should come with 2 G1/4 1/2" barbs WRONG~ they do not come with fittings(check specs) You'll need to buy your own..

a. 4x G 1/4 Plugs? Or do the blocks come with them? ( am assuming plugs are needed for the bottoms and tops of the holes you don't use)

Plugs are included, as well are barbs.

b. SLI Water connector? Which one should I be looking at? I have a Asus Maximus Extreme IV board and the cards are in the 1st and 3rd slot. (Would something like this work?) http://www.frozencpu.com/products/9342/koo-177/Koolance_Dual_VID_Connector_-_Adjustable_1_Slot_Spacing_CNT-VDA2_.html?tl=g30c101s873

Not necessary, since you can create your own with two barbs and some tubing. If you dont want to mess with that then just buy the connector.

c. Should I get extra thermal Pads... it says they are included but would you suggest extra thermal pads?

I wouldn't worry about it, never had a problem with what was included. Also your cards may have some already on there which you can use in a pinch.

3. How much difference is there between the resistance of these blocks and the resistance of the Swiftech MCW80'S? Will they slow down the flow horribly?

Full coverage vs universal flow are pretty much the same. I had a pair of MCW80's in series and they were pretty bad on dual D5 pumps. Pretty much the most restrictive part of my loop. The price difference is rather nice, but then you'll need to air cool the rest of the card rather well. I say stick with full coverage, you'll like it.

These are all questions I need to know before I make my decision. I am pretty sure I am gonna do it... but before I do I just want to know what I am in for first :)

Thanks Guys

Anything else? :)

edit, check out www.Sidewindercomputers.com great pricing on everything. Also www.performance-pcs.com :D

sneekypeet

Retired Super Moderator
System Name EVA-01
Processor Intel i7 13700K
Motherboard Asus ROG Maximus Z690 HERO EVA Edition
Cooling ASUS ROG Ryujin III 360 with Noctua Industrial Fans
Memory PAtriot Viper Elite RGB 96GB @ 6000MHz.
Video Card(s) Asus ROG Strix GeForce RTX 3090 24GB OC EVA Edition
Storage Addlink S95 M.2 PCIe GEN 4x4 2TB
Display(s) Asus ROG SWIFT OLED PG42UQ
Case Thermaltake Core P3 TG
Audio Device(s) Realtek on board > Sony Receiver > Cerwin Vegas
Power Supply be quiet DARK POWER PRO 12 1500W
Mouse ROG STRIX Impact Electro Punk
Keyboard ROG STRIX Scope TKL Electro Punk
Software Windows 11
1. yes
2.a) plugs come with the block, fittings and barbs do not.
b)I just used a short length of tubing between them.
c)Should be enough in the kit, but if you mess up on cutting the pad you may need more.
3. shouldn't be all that bad.

Case Bitfenix Prodigy
Thanks and Thanks I appreciate it.... a no nothing else :)

System Name The Dove Box Rev 3.0
Processor i7 8700k @ 4.7GHz
Motherboard Asus Maximus X APEX
Cooling Custom water loop
Memory 16GB 3600 MHz DDR4
Video Card(s) 2x MSI 780 Ti's in SLI
Storage 500GB Samsung 850 PCIe SSD, 4TB
Display(s) 27" Asus 144Hz
Case Enermax Fulmo GT
Audio Device(s) ON BOARD FTW
Power Supply Corsair 1200W
Keyboard Logitech G510
Software Win 10 64x
Don't forget to post some pics of those blocks on the cards!

trickson

OH, I have such a headache
System Name Ryzen TUF.
Processor AMD Ryzen7 3700X
Motherboard Asus TUF X570 Gaming Plus
Cooling Noctua
Memory Gskill RipJaws 3466MHz
Video Card(s) Asus TUF 1650 Super Clocked.
Storage CB 1T M.2 Drive.
Display(s) 73" Soney 4K.
Case Antech LanAir Pro.
Audio Device(s) Denon AVR-S750H
Power Supply Corsair TX750
Mouse Optical
Keyboard K120 Logitech
Software Windows 10 64 bit Home OEM
Anyone???

The question I have is this , Are the current WB's you have not doing the job well ? Or is this just to cool the RAM chips as well ? I am getting 2 Universal WB's for my video cards as I do not think that my video cards will work with full cover block's . And also this will give me less hassle in the future for using them on other cards ( I hope ) . I do not know how much restriction you will get with full cover WB's but I do not think they will give you that much that you should be worried if so just get a second pump , That is if you see that there is a flow problem , Till then just give them a try .

Case Bitfenix Prodigy
The question I have is this , Are the current WB's you have not doing the job well ? Or is this just to cool the RAM chips as well ? I am getting 2 Universal WB's for my video cards as I do not think that my video cards will work with full cover block's . And also this will give me less hassle in the future for using them on other cards ( I hope ) . I do not know how much restriction you will get with full cover WB's but I do not think they will give you that much that you should be worried if so just get a second pump , That is if you see that there is a flow problem , Till then just give them a try .

Universal ones cool the chips just fine. That;s not the problem. And when they were on my HD6950's they fit perfectly. But to use them with the GTX 580's I would need to modify a stock part to get them to work since wiftech doesn't make a bracket for it yet. Which if I did that it would cause a problem in case I ever needed to RMA the cards. That is why I want to swtch. Plus they look really bad ass. :)

trickson

OH, I have such a headache
System Name Ryzen TUF.
Processor AMD Ryzen7 3700X
Motherboard Asus TUF X570 Gaming Plus
Cooling Noctua
Memory Gskill RipJaws 3466MHz
Video Card(s) Asus TUF 1650 Super Clocked.
Storage CB 1T M.2 Drive.
Display(s) 73" Soney 4K.
Case Antech LanAir Pro.
Audio Device(s) Denon AVR-S750H
Power Supply Corsair TX750
Mouse Optical
Keyboard K120 Logitech
Software Windows 10 64 bit Home OEM
Universal ones cool the chips just fine. That;s not the problem. And when they were on my HD6950's they fit perfectly. But to use them with the GTX 580's I would need to modify a stock part to get them to work since wiftech doesn't make a bracket for it yet. Which if I did that it would cause a problem in case I ever needed to RMA the cards. That is why I want to swtch. Plus they look really bad ass. :)

Sounds great . Mine should be here Friday or Saturday for my HD5770's . I went with the universal WB's . I hope they look bad ass on mine . As this will be my first time water cooling 3 things at the same time !