• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Sony confirms all ranks/ trophies to be reset

System Name Omen
Processor i7-4710HQ
Cooling Dual fan/heatpipe
Memory 16GB
Video Card(s) 4GB GTX 860M
Storage 256GB PCIE SSD/256GB PNY UHS-1 SD Card
Display(s) 15.6' 1080P
Case Aluminium
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Brick
Software Win 10
After PSN had been hacked and crucial data such as credit card details, names, addresses and so on have been stolen, I've read in many threads and sites that ranks and trophies for all games will also be reset. Epic fail.

Just browsing twitter and came across this link:
http://on.wsj.com/enTAQf

And towards the bottom in the comments came across this:

2:04 pm April 26, 2011
SonyOfficial wrote:
I work at Sony and all onlne gamer ranks will be reset post-restart of PSN which is expected within 1-2 weeks. This includes Call of Duty, EA Sports and other similar action and sport franchises. Trophies will also be reset.

Processor W3520 Xeon
Motherboard Asus Sabertooth X58
Cooling Cool it Vantage
Memory 6gb Dominators
Video Card(s) GTX 460
Storage 60Gb Vertex II 500Gb storage
Display(s) LG 42LH40 42" 1080P
Case 932 HAF
Audio Device(s) Voices in my head
Power Supply Raidmax730/
Software Win7Pro64
Benchmark Scores Pretty High one's. but it's not a contest/ I just read them for the articles.
After PSN had been hacked and crucial data such as credit card details, names, addresses and so on have been stolen, I've read in many threads and sites that ranks and trophies for all games will also be reset. Epic fail.

SonyOfficial wrote:
I work at Sony and all onlne gamer ranks will be reset post-restart of PSN which is expected within 1-2 weeks. This includes Call of Duty, EA Sports and other similar action and sport franchises. Trophies will also be reset.

I wonder if it'll effect PC games via EA like battlefield?

System Name Omen
Processor i7-4710HQ
Cooling Dual fan/heatpipe
Memory 16GB
Video Card(s) 4GB GTX 860M
Storage 256GB PCIE SSD/256GB PNY UHS-1 SD Card
Display(s) 15.6' 1080P
Case Aluminium
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Brick
Software Win 10
Processor Intel i5 3550
Motherboard ASRock Z77 Pro4-M
Cooling Thermaltake Performer 2.0 AIO Liquid Cooler
Memory 32GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600mhz
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 960
Storage Corsair Neutron 256gb Boot drive, ~7tb storage combined on other drives
Display(s) AOC 27" 1920x1080 IPS and Wacom Cintiq 13" HD
Case Fractal Design Node 804
Audio Device(s) Realtek HD audio, Pyle Pro PTA2 Amp, Sony SS-B3000 Speakers, Sennheiser HD595 headphones
Power Supply Antec 750W "High Current Gamer"
Mouse SteelSeries Diablo 3
Keyboard Rosewill Mechanical with cherry black keys
Software Windows 7 Ultimate 64
Personally, I couldn't care less about the psn ranks/trophies got reset; I never cared for achievements. But, this does suck for those that do care, and work hard for them.

FordGT90Concept

"I go fast!1!11!1!"
System Name BY-2021
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X (65w eco profile)
Motherboard MSI B550 Gaming Plus
Cooling Scythe Mugen (rev 5)
Memory 2 x Kingston HyperX DDR4-3200 32 GiB
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT
Storage Samsung 980 Pro, Seagate Exos X20 TB 7200 RPM
Display(s) Nixeus NX-EDG274K (3840x2160@144 DP) + Samsung SyncMaster 906BW (1440x900@60 HDMI-DVI)
Case Coolermaster HAF 932 w/ USB 3.0 5.25" bay + USB 3.2 (A+C) 3.5" bay
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1150, Micca OriGen+
Power Supply Enermax Platimax 850w
Mouse Nixeus REVEL-X
Keyboard Tesoro Excalibur
Software Windows 10 Home 64-bit
Benchmark Scores Faster than the tortoise; slower than the hare.
I highly doubt it would effect anything that is not under a PlayStation Network account. Battlefield uses EA accounts system and I highly doubt it was compromised so I see no reason why they would mess with it.

System Name Main Rig
Processor Athlon 5350
Motherboard AsRock mITX
Memory 4gb
Storage 120gb Kingston HyperX SSD
Display(s) Samsung Syncmaster 740N
Power Supply Corsair 430 watt
I highly doubt that any credit card data has been compromised. That data is encrypted beyond belief. They have log in data for the network and might have purchased stuff for it using encrypted credit card data, but the odds of your credit card data being used to purchase stuff beyond the Playstation network are really, really remote. Virtually all credit card data is stolen via skimmers and via social engineering and just plain forgetfulness (letting your card go out of sight or forgetting it somewhere). By resetting all the usernames and passwords, the ability of someone to purchase stuff within the Playstation Network will also be eliminated. The thieves definitely have contact info for all of us, though.

FordGT90Concept

"I go fast!1!11!1!"
System Name BY-2021
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X (65w eco profile)
Motherboard MSI B550 Gaming Plus
Cooling Scythe Mugen (rev 5)
Memory 2 x Kingston HyperX DDR4-3200 32 GiB
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT
Storage Samsung 980 Pro, Seagate Exos X20 TB 7200 RPM
Display(s) Nixeus NX-EDG274K (3840x2160@144 DP) + Samsung SyncMaster 906BW (1440x900@60 HDMI-DVI)
Case Coolermaster HAF 932 w/ USB 3.0 5.25" bay + USB 3.2 (A+C) 3.5" bay
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1150, Micca OriGen+
Power Supply Enermax Platimax 850w
Mouse Nixeus REVEL-X
Keyboard Tesoro Excalibur
Software Windows 10 Home 64-bit
Benchmark Scores Faster than the tortoise; slower than the hare.
That entirely depends on who attacked the network and why. I don't think Sony has much/any information on that yet.

If it were a criminal ring, the credit card credentials would be their primary target. If they determine that was the case, Sony would give Visa, Mastercard, Discovery, American Express, PayPal, etc. a list of those accounts that were compromised and they would cancel those accounts and issue new ones. Sony can't release that information though unless they are absolutely certain that were the case (or the respective companies demand it of Sony).

If it were carried out by a bunch of high schoolers as a gag, I doubt matters would get much more serious than reseting PSN account information which they are already doing.

D

Deleted member 24505

I posted yesteday on the other thread about this, Some psn guy posted on reddit saying it was caused by a CFW for the ps3, which gave some hacker access to the psn dev network.

System Name Main Rig
Processor Athlon 5350
Motherboard AsRock mITX
Memory 4gb
Storage 120gb Kingston HyperX SSD
Display(s) Samsung Syncmaster 740N
Power Supply Corsair 430 watt
That entirely depends on who attacked the network and why. I don't think Sony has much/any information on that yet.

If it were a criminal ring, the credit card credentials would be their primary target. If they determine that was the case, Sony would give Visa, Mastercard, Discovery, American Express, PayPal, etc. a list of those accounts that were compromised and they would cancel those accounts and issue new ones. Sony can't release that information though unless they are absolutely certain that were the case (or the respective companies demand it of Sony).

If it were carried out by a bunch of high schoolers as a gag, I doubt matters would get much more serious than reseting PSN account information which they are already doing.

If they attacked for credit card info that could actually use, then they are wasting their time. That info is all encrypted to hell and back. I work in the industry and I know the inside details on how this stuff works and I know how long it actually takes get it unencrypted if you get it. It's much easier to build a skimmer or pay your waitress friend to rip off card info. They probably did it to prove that they could and to cause Sony a lot of disruption and heartache.

D

Deleted member 24505

They attacked because they can, i dont think its a gag or prank, once they figured out they could use a dev hacked ps3 to access the system they had a field day, apparently dl'd the whole game catalouge, and stole all the account details, that aint no gag or prank. the guy who posted on reddit said only 3.60+ FW versions of the dev ps3 will have access to the dev network from now on. This is all speculation, but it is speculation based on previous actions and known facts.

Heres the txt the guy posted and a link to it-

Ok, I've seen a bunch of speculation of why people think PSN is down, and I thought I should just post what the community knows in comparison to what Sony is telling everyone. The truth is, there was a new CFW (custom firmware) released known as Rebug (http://rebug.me). It essentially turns a retail console into a dev console (not fully, but gives you a lot of the same options that usually dev's only have access to). Anyway, this new CFW was quickly figured out by 3rd parties (not Rebug) to give CFW users access to the PSN network again via the dev networks. With a little manipulation of the URL's through a proxy server you could get your hacked console back online. Not that big of a deal, right? Well, it also turns out that some people over at NGU found out that you could provide fake CC# info and the authenticity of the information was never checked as you were on Sony's private developer PSN network (essentially a network that Sony trusted). What happened next was extreme piracy of PSN content. Sony realizing the issue here shut down the network. Now, before you go freaking out about the latest information posted about Kotaku, no ones personal information was accessible via this hack. Not to say they couldn't get it, but no one is admitting to it being available. Anyway, that's the real reason for the PSN downtime. Sony is now rebuilding all of it's PSN servers to be more secure and (hopefully) make sure the CFW users cannot get online anymore.

Edit #1: To those of you saying that this is speculation, you are correct. But, it is speculation based on a lot of facts and the outcome seems to make the most sense.

Rebug was released on 3/31/11.

First guides of how to use the dev network to get back on COD games on 4/3/11.

Word of NGU users finding a way to pirate PSN content via the dev networks on 4/7/11 (basing this on posts I had to delete on the website. Update: Users have pointed out to me that these posts existed on NGU as of 4/2/11).

PSN goes down on 4/20/11

Now, you can believe Sony's PR team which has kept you completely in the dark, or you can see the list of events above and come to your own conclusion. Now, this isn't the first time Sony has fought back against the PS3 modders from getting on PSN. A couple of months ago we had a utility called f*ckPSN that changed the necessary header information that was being sent to Sony to allow modified consoles back online. We were able to use it for about a month. Then came the new TOS, the mass e-mail to PS3 customers, and software update 3.56 and 3.60. So, once again, yes this is all speculation, but it is speculation based on previous actions and known facts.

Edit #2: Mathieulh just mentioned that he has been in contact with someone that has official access to the SCE devnet servers and it was posted to them today that only 3.60+ debug firmwares will be allowed on the dev network anymore. All earlier versions will be cut. If you want to retain your access you need to contact Sony and upgrade to 3.60 debug firmware.

Edit #3: Ok, it looks like some various news sites have picked up this story and taken it out of context. Once again, this is all speculation and information gathered from various devs in the PS3 scene. It might very well not be the real reason PSN is down, but as the timeline fits, it's a reasonable explanation. Now, as to Rebug directly allowing this to happen, that's not the case at all. Different CFW's have had access to the dev network the whole time. This is not new news for people in the PS3 scene. It's what people have figured out what to do with the said network that has caused all the recent issues. Saying that Rebug is what did this is like saying a gun manufacturer is responsible for every death that happens with a gun.

Edit #4: Looks like Sony is finally admitting that people have been able to get into their network and users personal info has possibly be compromised. See: Official Sony Blog for the latest update.

http://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/comments/gx6o4/im_a_moderator_over_at_psxscenecom_the_real/

Last edited by a moderator:

1Kurgan1

The Knife in your Back
System Name My Comp | Fiancees Comp
Processor i7 5820k @ 4.6Ghz 1.285v| i5 2500k
Motherboard MSI x99 SLI Plus | AsRock Z77 Pro 3
Cooling Watercooled
Memory 16GB DDR4 2400 @ 2666 | 12GB DDR3 1600
Video Card(s) AMD R9 290x | MSI 5850 OC
Storage 128gb SSD + 2x 2TB | 2TB
Display(s) Asus 27" LCD | 25" Hanns G
Case CM Storm | CM Elite 430
Audio Device(s) Creative Recon 3D PCIe
Power Supply Enermax Galaxy 1250W | Rosewill 630w
Mouse Logitech G700s | Logitech G100s
Keyboard Logitech G901 | Logitech G105
Software Win 8.1 Ultimate x64 | Win 8.1 Ultimate x64
Benchmark Scores 3D Mark - Fire Strike Extreme - 4403
Only games this really bugs me for is God of War 1 and 2, I had Platinum Trophies on both of those. Guess it's time to change my account info, I never had just to keep my old Trophies.

System Name Acer Aspire V3-771G-53218G75Maii
Processor Core i5 3210M (2,5-3,1Ghz)
Memory 8GB DDR3 SODIMM
Video Card(s) Geforce GT650M
Storage Samsung 830 256GB - 750GB Toshiba drive
Software Windows 7 x64 Home Premium (non-acer-bloatware)
You actually think this is true?

Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5950x, Ryzen 9 5980HX
Motherboard MSI X570 Tomahawk
Cooling Be Quiet Dark Rock Pro 4(With Noctua Fans)
Memory 32Gb Crucial 3600 Ballistix
Video Card(s) Gigabyte RTX 3080, Asus 6800M
Storage Adata SX8200 1TB NVME/WD Black 1TB NVME
Display(s) Dell 27 Inch 165Hz
Case Phanteks P500A
Audio Device(s) IFI Zen Dac/JDS Labs Atom+/SMSL Amp+Rivers Audio
Power Supply Corsair RM850x
Mouse Logitech G502 SE Hero
Keyboard Corsair K70 RGB Mk.2
VR HMD Samsung Odyssey Plus
Software Windows 10
If they attacked for credit card info that could actually use, then they are wasting their time. That info is all encrypted to hell and back. I work in the industry and I know the inside details on how this stuff works and I know how long it actually takes get it unencrypted if you get it. It's much easier to build a skimmer or pay your waitress friend to rip off card info. They probably did it to prove that they could and to cause Sony a lot of disruption and heartache.

If he did get it and he's not retarded he will sell this data, thats what they do in this game, I work in this field, and this is the place he/they will get caught.

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Processor Intel Core i7 10850K@5.2GHz
Motherboard AsRock Z470 Taichi
Cooling Corsair H115i Pro w/ Noctua NF-A14 Fans
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Video Card(s) RTX 2070 Super
Storage 500GB SX8200 Pro + 8TB with 1TB SSD Cache
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG280K 4K 28"
Case Fractal Design Define S
Audio Device(s) Onboard is good enough for me
Power Supply eVGA SuperNOVA 1000w G3
Software Windows 10 Pro x64

SonyOfficial wrote:

The problem is that I don't consider forum posts to be official. Anyone can say they are from sony and confirm a rumor, or deny it... Watch:

I work at Sony, and all the online gamer ranks will not be reset post-restart of PSN which is expected within 1-2 weeks. This includes Call of Duty, EA Sports and other similar action and sports franchises. Trophies will also not be reset.

See, and I even managed to do it without grammar and spelling mistakes.:laugh:

Last edited:

2DividedbyZero

I work as Sony, and all the online gamer ranks will not be reset post-restart of PSN which is expected within 1-2 weeks. This includes Call of Duty, EA Sports and other similar action and sports franchises. Trophies will also not be reset.

See, and I even managed to do it without grammar and spelling mistakes.:laugh:

except the bit where u say you work "as" sony :roll:

Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5950x, Ryzen 9 5980HX
Motherboard MSI X570 Tomahawk
Cooling Be Quiet Dark Rock Pro 4(With Noctua Fans)
Memory 32Gb Crucial 3600 Ballistix
Video Card(s) Gigabyte RTX 3080, Asus 6800M
Storage Adata SX8200 1TB NVME/WD Black 1TB NVME
Display(s) Dell 27 Inch 165Hz
Case Phanteks P500A
Audio Device(s) IFI Zen Dac/JDS Labs Atom+/SMSL Amp+Rivers Audio
Power Supply Corsair RM850x
Mouse Logitech G502 SE Hero
Keyboard Corsair K70 RGB Mk.2
VR HMD Samsung Odyssey Plus
Software Windows 10
does he really, how much do you get paid, your position?

System Name Unknown
Processor AMD Bulldozer FX8320 @ 4.4Ghz
Motherboard Asus Crosshair V
Cooling XSPC Raystorm 750 EX240 for CPU
Memory 8 GB CORSAIR Vengeance Red DDR3 RAM 1922mhz (10-11-9-27)
Video Card(s) XFX R9 290
Storage Samsung SSD 254GB and Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s
Display(s) AOC 23" @ 1920x1080 + Asus 27" 1440p
Case HAF X
Audio Device(s) X Fi Titanium 5.1 Surround Sound
Power Supply 750 Watt PP&C Silencer Black
Software Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit
Me thinks sony did this one intentionally.

Since PS3 Jailbreakers can no longer get online, they want to eliminate all illegitimately earned trophies/ranks.

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Processor Intel Core i7 10850K@5.2GHz
Motherboard AsRock Z470 Taichi
Cooling Corsair H115i Pro w/ Noctua NF-A14 Fans
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Video Card(s) RTX 2070 Super
Storage 500GB SX8200 Pro + 8TB with 1TB SSD Cache
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG280K 4K 28"
Case Fractal Design Define S
Audio Device(s) Onboard is good enough for me
Power Supply eVGA SuperNOVA 1000w G3
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
System Name Ryzen Reynolds
Processor Ryzen 1600 - 4.0Ghz 1.415v - SMT disabled
Motherboard mATX Asrock AB350m AM4
Cooling Raijintek Leto Pro
Memory Vulcan T-Force 16GB DDR4 3000 16.18.18 @3200Mhz 14.17.17
Video Card(s) Sapphire Nitro+ 4GB RX 580 - 1450/2000 BIOS mod 8-)
Storage Seagate B'cuda 1TB/Sandisk 128GB SSD
Display(s) Acer ED242QR 75hz Freesync
Case Corsair Carbide Series SPEC-01
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Corsair VS 550w
Mouse Zalman ZM-M401R
Keyboard Razor Lycosa
Software Windows 10 x64
Benchmark Scores https://www.3dmark.com/spy/6220813

SonyOfficial wrote:

The rest of his post:

We apologize to those who spent a year of their lives gaining Prestige level on our popular CoD Black Ops title.

Seems like BS to me.

System Name CHAFF-G
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 3600X 6 @3.8Ghz
Motherboard MSI B450 Gaming Plus MAX
Cooling Cooler Master Hyper 212
Memory Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB @3200Mhz
Video Card(s) MSi GTX 970 4GB
Display(s) 2012 model 1080p Sony BRAVIA LED TV @60Hz
Case 2007 model Cooler Master HAF 932
Audio Device(s) Nvidia HDMI Audio
Power Supply Seasonic Focus GX-750
Mouse Logitech K400r / BenQ Zowie EC1
Keyboard Logitech K400r / Corsair K63
Software Windows 10 Home
Yeah, you're right NdMk2o1o, sounds like a troll attempt.

Their popular CoD Black Ops title? It's not even Sony's title.

I think it's safe to assume that you're right and it is in fact BS.

System Name Boomer Master Race
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7735HS APU
Motherboard BareBones Mini PC MB
Cooling Mini PC Cooling
Memory Crucial 32GB 4800MHz
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 680M 8GB IGPU
Storage Crucial 500GB M.2 SSD + 2TB Ext HDD
Display(s) Sony 4K Bravia X85J 43Inch TV 120Hz
Case Beelink Mini PC Chassis
Audio Device(s) Built In Realtek Digital Audio HD
Power Supply 120w Power Brick
Mouse Logitech G203 Lightsync
Keyboard Atrix RGB Slim Keyboard
VR HMD ( ◔ ʖ̯ ◔ )
Software Windows 10 Home 64bit
Benchmark Scores Don't do them anymore.
Awesome:banghead: I wrked my arse off for those trophies, hmmmm maybe i should just use the PS3 as my blu-ray player and now & again sum exclusive titles and screw trophies altogether:( sigh!!!!!!!:ohwell::wtf:

Wouldn't be surprised if someone from gaysoft hacked the Poor Security Network:(