• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

6950 crossfire not working in Civ 5

cadaveca

My name is Dave
AMD needs to properly multi-thread thier Crossfire drivers before the memory bottleneck with Crossfire and deffered rendering will disappear. As AMD was first to DX11, but has not taken this step, it seems, I found no other choice but to move to either Intel, to overcome the driver problem, or to move to nVidia, in hopes that thier drivers work better.

I mean, you know, going Intel is NOT the right option, however, it is the ONLY option at this point in time.

And I feel confident placing the blame truly on the driver, as the same problem is not evident with a single card.

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF x670e
Cooling EK AIO 360. Phantek T30 fans.
Memory 32GB G.Skill 6000Mhz
Video Card(s) Asus RTX 4090
Storage WD m.2
Display(s) LG C2 Evo OLED 42"
Case Lian Li PC 011 Dynamic Evo
Audio Device(s) Topping E70 DAC, SMSL SP200 Headphone Amp.
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti PRO 1000W
Mouse Razer Basilisk V3 Pro
Keyboard Tester84
Software Windows 11
Try upping the CPU/NB frequency to see if you get any boost in the game.

cadaveca

My name is Dave
Try upping the CPU/NB frequency to see if you get any boost in the game.

It does. Crazyeyesreaper investigated it a bit, AFAIK, seems to have come to the same conclusion as me. But yes, the more evidence to either prove or disprove, the better.

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF x670e
Cooling EK AIO 360. Phantek T30 fans.
Memory 32GB G.Skill 6000Mhz
Video Card(s) Asus RTX 4090
Storage WD m.2
Display(s) LG C2 Evo OLED 42"
Case Lian Li PC 011 Dynamic Evo
Audio Device(s) Topping E70 DAC, SMSL SP200 Headphone Amp.
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti PRO 1000W
Mouse Razer Basilisk V3 Pro
Keyboard Tester84
Software Windows 11
It does. Crazyeyesreaper investigated it a bit, AFAIK, seems to have come to the same conclusion as me. But yes, the more evidence to either prove or disprove, the better.

I know it works for me as well.

cadaveca

My name is Dave
I know it works for me as well.

It's crazy, IMHO. :laugh:

:slap:

I don't get how such a huge oversight could be missed. DX11 is all about multi-threading, yet AMD fails at it miserably, when it comes to deffered rendering.

I haven't even looked to see if Civ5 is using deffered rendering, but basically every real DX11 app is, so I'm pretty sure I'm spot-on here.

What I'm not sure of is why Crossfire needs so much. I mean, you've heard me on the TS time and again about deffered rendering...at least once a week...:laugh:...

I mean, sheesh, I could totally be off-base here...but...I dunno, increasing memory speed increases Crossfire FPS considerably, on the AMD platform. And i don't really think AMD's CPU's are bad..merely this is a hardware config whose drivers bring out the weakness in the platform. It's like ATI is shooting AMD in the foot here. What would be interesting to see, is if nVidia cards run into the same issues.