• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Chieftec Nitro SPS-750C 750 W

Chieftec recently made a new addition to their product series with the inclusion of the Nitro 88+ line. The new PSUs are 80PLUS Silver certified and promise efficiency that surpasses 88%. They also utilize a semi-modular design and their OEM is Channel Well (CWT), a respectable manufacturer.

Show full review

Last edited by a moderator:
Processor W3520 Xeon
Motherboard Asus Sabertooth X58
Cooling Cool it Vantage
Memory 6gb Dominators
Video Card(s) GTX 460
Storage 60Gb Vertex II 500Gb storage
Display(s) LG 42LH40 42" 1080P
Case 932 HAF
Audio Device(s) Voices in my head
Power Supply Raidmax730/
Software Win7Pro64
Benchmark Scores Pretty High one's. but it's not a contest/ I just read them for the articles.
how did this get an 8.0? It's literally a fire hazard! How did you base the scale?

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Processor Intel Core i7 10850K@5.2GHz
Motherboard AsRock Z470 Taichi
Cooling Corsair H115i Pro w/ Noctua NF-A14 Fans
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Video Card(s) RTX 2070 Super
Storage 500GB SX8200 Pro + 8TB with 1TB SSD Cache
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG280K 4K 28"
Case Fractal Design Define S
Audio Device(s) Onboard is good enough for me
Power Supply eVGA SuperNOVA 1000w G3
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
how did this get an 8.0? It's literally a fire hazard! How did you base the scale?

Well, it would do its job in a modern computer, but it did lack some build quality, so I can see an 8 being reasonable. And, no, it isn't litterally a fire hazard.

Processor W3520 Xeon
Cooling Cool it Vantage
Memory 6gb Dominators
Video Card(s) GTX 460
Case 932 HAF
Power Supply Raidmax730/
Software Win7Pro64
Benchmark Scores Pretty High one's. but it's not a contest/ I just read them for the articles.
Well, it would do its job in a modern computer, but it did lack some build quality, so I can see an 8 being reasonable. And, no, it isn't litterally a fire hazard.

Is exposed bare wires capable of shorting not fit your definition of a fire hazard? Stop trolling.

I exposed on purpose the wires to show the bad joints. The heatshrink was covering them of course. Although I would like it to be more tight on the specific cable.

Also the PSU does not catches fire so easily since it has SCP protection. Even the cheapest ones have this protection.

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Is exposed bare wires capable of shorting not fit your definition of a fire hazard? Stop trolling.

There were not exposed wires, there was heatsink covering them, it was loose enough to be moved when the unit was taken apart.

And as crmaris points out, even if they were exposed, the Short Curcuit Protection would prevent any fires.

So try actually reading the damn review before accusing others of trolling because they disagree with your initial trolling.:shadedshu

Processor W3520 Xeon
Cooling Cool it Vantage
Memory 6gb Dominators
Video Card(s) GTX 460
Case 932 HAF
Power Supply Raidmax730/
Software Win7Pro64
I exposed on purpose the wires to show the bad joints. The heatshrink was covering them of course. Although I would like it to be more tight on the specific cable.

Also the PSU does not catches fire so easily since it has SCP protection. Even the cheapest ones have this protection.

yes but my point is the combination of horrible soddering, exposed wiring or wires with questionable joining, could cause at the very least a loose wire, bypassing safety measures causing a short to ground or worse. :toast: which is why i asked why it would rate and 8 out of 10

Last edited:
System Name Zverkica/HP Omen
Processor Ryzen 5, 1600/ i7-9750h
Motherboard Gigabyte AB-350-Gaming 3
Cooling Noctua NH-L12S
Memory 16GB Kingston Hyper X Predator 3200 MHz
Video Card(s) Asus RX 580/ GTX 1660ti
Storage SSD KIngston UV400, 480GB, WD 1002FAEX and some other Samsung drives
Display(s) Samsung U28H750 UHD Quantum Dot
Case Cooler Master Q500L
Audio Device(s) GENIUS SW-2.1 1800: GENIUS SW-2.1 1250
Power Supply Thermaltake Paris 650 Watt - 80 Plus Gold PSU
Mouse Razer Death Adder Elite
Keyboard ReDragon K577 RGB mechanical keyboard
Software Windows 10 Pro
Chieftec is a well known PSU manufacturer in my country, and has a very good reputation of quality budget PSU. I had 350W Chieftec and it powerd PII X3 and Radeon 5770 for a year until I replaced it with modular Chieftec CFT-600-14CS... Just because it is not well known in America and UK doesn't mean that is bad...

sneekypeet

Retired Super Moderator
System Name EVA-01
Processor Intel i7 13700K
Motherboard Asus ROG Maximus Z690 HERO EVA Edition
Cooling ASUS ROG Ryujin III 360 with Noctua Industrial Fans
Memory PAtriot Viper Elite RGB 96GB @ 6000MHz.
Video Card(s) Asus ROG Strix GeForce RTX 3090 24GB OC EVA Edition
Storage Addlink S95 M.2 PCIe GEN 4x4 2TB
Display(s) Asus ROG SWIFT OLED PG42UQ
Case Thermaltake Core P3 TG
Audio Device(s) Realtek on board > Sony Receiver > Cerwin Vegas
Power Supply be quiet DARK POWER PRO 12 1500W
Mouse ROG STRIX Impact Electro Punk
Keyboard ROG STRIX Scope TKL Electro Punk
Software Windows 11
So try actually reading the damn review before accusing others of trolling because they disagree with your initial trolling.

Seems gary has a valid point, question is did you read the article?

The bad thing is that whoever made these joints left the soldering iron on the 3.3V cables so it nearly melted them and on top of that the joints are far from good. Also the heatshrink on one of them is loose enough to slip and provoke a short circuit, if the naked cable touches the casing.

If I had a PSU that was built as dysfunctional as this one I wouldn't give it an 80% accepted rating either. On top of that the reviewer guessed this was a pre-release sample and never even asked the manufacturer about the piss poor wiring job.

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600

No, he didn't have a valid point. There were no exposed wires, the insulation on the 3.3v was nearly melted, but it wasn't exposing any wires, and the solder joints were covered with heatshrink. The soldering wasn't great, and the heatshrink was loose but not loose enough to expose wires without first taking the PSU apart and moving the heatshrink yourself.

Yes, I read the article where it says there were no exposed wires. Gary obviously didn't, and just looked at the pretty pictures and went into full on troll mode screaming "fire hazard".

I'm not arguing the score of the PSU, I'm arguing weither it is a fire hazard or not, and it isn't. Gary went into full on troll mode without actually reading the article, and the proof is the fact that when correct, he started name calling right away instead of trying to make a valid point(or even going back and making sure he wasn't full of shit).

Personally, poor astetics that have no effect on the functionality of the unit, shouldn't really drive the score of the unit down all that much.

Processor W3520 Xeon
Cooling Cool it Vantage
Memory 6gb Dominators
Video Card(s) GTX 460
Case 932 HAF
Power Supply Raidmax730/
Software Win7Pro64

If I had a PSU that was built as dysfunctional as this one I wouldn't give it an 80% accepted rating either. On top of that the reviewer guessed this was a pre-release sample and never even asked the manufacturer about the piss poor wiring job.

I am quoting you cause it is obvouse what someone else is doing and i don't want to encourage that behavior.

As you can see from the pic there is wire insulation... exposed wire... wire insulation with heatshrink i don't see how this is so difficult. Do you think that wire is an internal one for the pcb cause it's not it is exposed thus prone to wear from routing and hooking it up ect.. that is ONE reason why i asked how this got an 8/10 :toast:

System Name Better than before
Processor 10400
Motherboard B460 Pro4
Cooling Id-Cooling 224
Memory 16 GB
Video Card(s) 1650 Super
Storage Swordfish 500 GB
Display(s) AOC G2
Case Coolermaster Ammo 533
Audio Device(s) Micca MB42X
Power Supply Pure Power 11
Mouse G403
Keyboard Sidewinder x4
Software Windows 10 (ugh)
8.0 is the lowest score given I believe unless someone can link a review with a lower score?

Processor W3520 Xeon
Cooling Cool it Vantage
Memory 6gb Dominators
Video Card(s) GTX 460
Case 932 HAF
Power Supply Raidmax730/
Software Win7Pro64
8.0 is the lowest score given I believe unless someone can link a review with a lower score?

recently I tested a PSU and in normal temperatures all were fine and it had perfect ripple suppression. Hoever, when I raised the temperature to 45 C ambient then all hell broke loose. At 10-60% load I saw even 180mV ripple at +12V!!! instead of 30mV I had at room temps (also ripple in the minor rails was excessive). The weird thing is that at 80 and 100% load ripple was normal even with 50C ambient.

Bottomline. A hot box some times makes a huge difference. Otherwise the above PSU would flew under the radar.
Just seems like an awfully high score?
Pretty sure this is the same guy because title says TPU, avatar is the same and name too but diff forum
Link: http://www.jonnyguru.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7820

Yes I am the same guy and the post you are referring to is 4 weeks ago and I was giving an example to a fellow reviewer why he should use a hot box. I was not referring to the Chieftec since I only got it last week. Again read the whole thread not the parts that suit you!

For the last time I am gonna tell that the heatshrink was there and I removed it to photo the joint, if you can't understand it I can't help it. The wires are a damaged but not exposed.

As for how I know this is a pre-production model, when you have test over 60 PSUs then you know how to distinguish a pre-prod. model. But the thing here is that I rated the sample I had in my hands. According to its performance and the flaws I saw I decided to give it an 80%. If you don't like how I rate it then stay on the other pages of the review.

If I wanted to make it look better (as you imply) I wouldn't show any pictures of these joints neither close ups to the main PCB. You see last time I checked I didn't have any Chieftec stocks.

On top of that the reviewer guessed this was a pre-release sample and never even asked the manufacturer about the piss poor wiring job.

And how do you know that I didn't ask the manufacturer about that? Also how you are so sure that I cannot distinguish pre-models especially when I have reviewed numerous CWT DSGs.

sneekypeet

Retired Super Moderator
System Name EVA-01
Software Windows 11
And how do you know that I didn't ask the manufacturer about that? Also how you are so sure that I cannot distinguish pre-models especially when I have reviewed numerous CWT DSGs.

Because if you asked you would have worded it without the word guessed involved. Look I'm not trying to headhunt here. I just think the point is valid. You say this unit specifically could easily short, and potentially damage other components, yet still give it an 8/10.

Processor W3520 Xeon
Cooling Cool it Vantage
Memory 6gb Dominators
Video Card(s) GTX 460
Case 932 HAF
Power Supply Raidmax730/
Software Win7Pro64
Yes I am the same guy and the post you are referring to is 4 weeks ago and I was giving an example to a fellow reviewer why he should use a hot box. I was not referring to the Chieftec since I only got it only last week. Again read the whole thread not the parts that suit you!

For the last time I am gonna tell that the heatshrink was there and I removed it to photo the joint, if you can't understand it I can't help it. The wires are a little damaged but not exposed.

As for how I know this is a pre-production model, when you have test over 60 PSUs then you know how to distinguish a pre-prod. model. But the thing here is that I rated the sample I had in my hands. According to its performance and the flaws I saw I decided to give it an 80%. If you don't like how I rate it then stay on the other pages of the review.

If I wanted to make it look better (as you imply) I wouldn't show any pictures of these joints neither close ups to the main PCB. You see last time I checked I didn't have and Chieftec stocks.

a little hostile don't you think? I implied nothing i asked how you came to the conclusion of 80% that is all... and to quote you
Quote:
The bad thing is that whoever made these joints left the soldering iron on the 3.3V cables so it nearly melted them and on top of that the joints are far from good. Also the heatshrink on one of them is loose enough to slip and provoke a short circuit, if the naked cable touches the casing.

Processor W3520 Xeon
Cooling Cool it Vantage
Memory 6gb Dominators
Video Card(s) GTX 460
Case 932 HAF
Power Supply Raidmax730/
Software Win7Pro64
The heatshrink was on the naked wire. I moved it back to take the photo.

why would you remove heatshrink to take a pic? Unless it was reallllly loose and viable that it would short :toast:

Because if you asked you would have worded it without the word guessed involved. Look I'm not trying to headhunt here. I just think the point is valid. You say this unit specifically could easily short, and potentially damage other components, yet still give it an 8/10.

if 3.3V or other rail short then the unit will shut down. It has SCP.

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
As you can see from the pic there is wire insulation... exposed wire... wire insulation with heatshrink i don't see how this is so difficult. Do you think that wire is an internal one for the pcb cause it's not it is exposed thus prone to wear from routing and hooking it up ect.. that is ONE reason why i asked how this got an 8/10

why would you remove heatshrink to take a pic? Unless it was reallllly loose and viable that it would short :toast:

Again, because you obviously have a hard time reading, the wire wasn't exposed, the heatshrink was removed by crmaris to show the sub-par soldering. Why is that so hard to understand, you've been told it at least 3 times now!:banghead:

sneekypeet

Retired Super Moderator
System Name EVA-01
Software Windows 11
if 3.3V or other rail short then the unit will shut down. It has SCP.

In a perfect world yes, but things happen, just like the poo soldering that was going on inside. Like I said man, if it had been confirmed that a PSU that I buy isn't some garbled mess inside, I see the 8/10. If there was any chance my unit would arrive like that, that the angle of my approach.

because I wanted it to see why 3.3V dropped so low at full load. Normally you can't remove at all a heatshrink unless you cut it along. This one, after a 4-5 minutes work I managed to remove it.

I also tear apart the whole PSU to check it and to show it to you.

sneekypeet

Retired Super Moderator
System Name EVA-01
Software Windows 11
Again, because you obviously have a hard time reading, the wire wasn't exposed, the heatshrink was removed by crmaris to show the sub-par soldering. Why is that so hard to understand, you've been told it at least 3 times now!:banghead:

I think you need to step away and let crmaris handle gary's inquisitions into his work. Take this as a warning that you don't have any place to continue your gary cant read troll!

In a perfect world yes, but things happen, just like the poo soldering that was going on inside. Like I said man, if it had been confirmed that a PSU that I buy isn't some garbled mess inside, I see the 8/10. If there was any chance my unit would arrive like that, that the angle of my approach.

Because of that before the rating I give a full analysis on the PSU. So anyone can decide whether he will buy it or not. In my opinion it deserved 80% for others not. Unfortunately I cannot rate according to what anyone else wants but judging on my personal opinion.